Lilah Grace has arrived- UPDATE! #108 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 123 Old 04-15-2009, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Oh my goodness, I just saw this now. Congratulations on your baby Lilah and I hope she grows big very quickly and has only a short hospital stay.

rainbow1284.gifenergy.gifAugust 2010 ; angel2.gif April 2009; angel1.gif m/c 2008

#62 of 123 Old 04-15-2009, 11:26 PM

Welcome Lilah Grace - what a beautiful name! Keep taking care of yourself mama and she will be home with you in no time. Sending you positive, restful vibes ...
#63 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 01:09 AM

oh my goodness... welcome Lilah! so glad you all are doing well despite the early arrival!
#64 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 11:04 AM

WOW, you miss a few days and look what happens! Congrats and welcome to Lilah! Can't wait for updates, we will be thinking of you

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#65 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Today I went to visit and they took the umbilical cord line out! Tomorrow is her one week birthday and we got the present today. : She is not on any fluids (besides mommie juice) and only has a feeding tube through her nose. She's learning to suck with a preemie passifier (and they're going to start trying a bottle then the breast!)

I've been able to kangaroo her every day. We found out that daddy can kangaroo her too!!! hip hip hooray!!!

Anyway- she hasn't been on any ventilation/oxygen, she now only has temperature sensors, heart monitor, and blood pressure monitor...

SHE ALSO GAINED WEIGHT!!! She was 2lb5oz at birth, should have lost 1/10th of that but didn't. She only lost a tiny bit of weight, they keep increasing her food intake (up to 15ml now), and she is 2lb 6oz. Which is more than she was at birth.

It's been really wonderful. The nurses are so wonderful. They are very supportive, and I think that my milk is finally coming in. I actually pumped 15ml tonight!!!! So we go see her about twice a day now. It's about 5 hours of heaven each visit.

I posted some little pictures on my shutterfly- it's so much more important than finishing that quilt now... but she's my little monkey and she's perfect. just tiny. But perfect and we're so thankful that we haven't had problems. She's not sick- just needs more fat.

Oh! And I changed a stinky diaper today- she's finally finished with the meconium.

http://lrowsey.shutterfly.com

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#66 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 08:21 PM

Oh, she is soooo beautiful!! What a cute little snuggle bug. I am glad to hear that she is doing so well! That you so much for the wonderful update. I have been thinking about you all so much!

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#67 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 08:28 PM

Oh, that made me cry! She's so beautiful and tiny. What a miracle that she's not on any breathing machine! It sounds like she will continue to grow and get fat (!) and you are so so blessed to be able to hold her. I'm happy to hear that the nurses are being so great. And how fantastic to know she's not doing formula! Good for you and good for her!!!

Thanks so much for the updates! I've been thinking of you and Lilah...
#68 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 08:40 PM

Oh my lord your pictures of her made me so weepy. Prayers and prayers for her continued weight gain and good health! What a beautiful baby girl.

Alicewyf knit.gif , wife to DH reading.gif and mama to toddler Lillian energy.gif (7/09)!

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**stork-boy.gif40

Prayerfully expecting our little BOY in June of 2012! And so excited to be cd.gif and bfinfant.gifagain!

#69 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 PM

Oh she's beautiful!!!! And obviously your kangaroo care and amazing mommy milk are making her grow and do so well so fast! :
#70 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 08:52 PM

Wow, I definitely just got all teary looking at those pictures. What a beautiful little girl!!

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#71 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 PM

She's just perfect! I made a Birth Announcement sticky, let me know if you want one of the pictures made into a link on her name. I love #15!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#72 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 09:44 PM

Congrats! The pictures are so sweet!
#73 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 11:06 PM

She's perfect. I hope she fattens up fast and can go home soon.
#74 of 123 Old 04-16-2009, 11:19 PM

Goodness, she's sooo tiny, but perfect and beautiful. How are you coping, mama?

Not to be nosy or anything, but are you sure they need to start her on a bottle vs. just tube feeding her now and putting her right to the breast? It's so easy for newborns to get nipple confusion and then never really be able to latch on properly. Of course, the most important thing is to get her nourished, but I have a good friend who had a 28 weeker and they moved him from a feeding tube right to breast feeding without any bottles so he could develop a strong latch.

OK, taking my nose out of your business now! Thanks for the update and the sweet pics.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#75 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 12:01 AM

She's so tiny and perfect! I'm so glad she's doing so well. She looks like a total sweetie pie

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#76 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 01:08 AM

She is just beautiful. One of the prettiest I have ever seen. I am teary eyed too! Glad to hear everything is going so well. :

Mother of two boys and a stork-boy.gif on the way!

#77 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
Not to be nosy or anything, but are you sure they need to start her on a bottle vs. just tube feeding her now and putting her right to the breast? It's so easy for newborns to get nipple confusion and then never really be able to latch on properly. Of course, the most important thing is to get her nourished, but I have a good friend who had a 28 weeker and they moved him from a feeding tube right to breast feeding without any bottles so he could develop a strong latch.
This is my thought too.

I'm so happy that she's breathing on her own, gaining weight so successfully. Thanks for updating and best wishes in the next few days!

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#78 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 04:20 AM

Oh how surreal to see such a tiny little girl! Thank you for sharing those lovely pics!! Crazy to think such a preemie is doing so extraordinarily well. I am so happy for you and for her and for your hubby. Very very sweet.

(sniff) wiping my eyes

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#79 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 07:39 AM

Oh she's such a beauty and I'm glad she's doing so well. Hope you're feeling well too. Surreal for me too since I was born 8 weeks early (my mom had an IUD in place when she got pregnant with me, causing lots of complications). But I turned out healthier (so far anyway, knock wood) than my born on time siblings!

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#80 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 AM

She is just perfect. What a beautiful little girl.. You are doing a great job mama. She is going to be big and strong before you know it.. Hugs

Shawna!! DH Kevin, DD Kaelen (12) DS Drew (10), Sam and Jocelyn 11 months and TTC!!
#81 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 AM

Not in your DDC, hope you guys don't mind me crashing the party I just couldn't read and not post. Lilah is gorgeous, and I love her name Best of luck and congratulations!

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams." 
#82 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
Goodness, she's sooo tiny, but perfect and beautiful. How are you coping, mama?

OK, taking my nose out of your business now! Thanks for the update and the sweet pics.
Yep- they said last night that she's still a little too small to do a bottle, but that we'd start introducing her to the breast during kangaroo time. They said that she'll most likely just look at it at first- maybe lick it, maybe nuzzle, maybe root, and maybe even latch! So, we'll see how it goes. I was just thrilled to start thinking about getting the rest of the tubes out- at this point, I just want her to eat and grow. It's wild- I was pretty anti-formula, but being so sick, I lost a full day of pumping.

I'm getting more milk now, but I've decided to not stress (which actually makes it easier) and if she can't get enough milk then we'll supplement. Most important for her to get big and for me to be relaxed about it. Can't stress. BUT I'm doing decently keeping up with her. So we're hoping for breast in kangaroo and she'll get it figured out. She's already associating sucking with feeding. Smart kid.

We went back last night and she's gained another ounce! She's 2lb7 and now weighs more than at birth. Today is her one week bday, so we're having a small party in the NNICU. :

We also found out that DADDY can kangaroo, so we're looking forward to Saturday when he can! Woo-hoo!!! He hasnt' held her yet and is so anxious. I'll tell you ladies that leaving my small little angel in the hospital while I came home was the absolute most heart-wrenching thing I've ever had to do. But it's getting better and she's doing so well that it's like having a little positive visit each time.

*sigh*

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#83 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 11:23 AM

I am so glad to hear she is doing so well!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#84 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 11:24 AM

So glad to hear everything is going really well! Thanks for the updates and the pictures. She really is the sweetest little thing ever.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#85 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 11:25 AM

I'm so glad to see your update!:

Lilah is beautiful--and she really *looks* so strong and healthy, even in the pics! Yay for gaining weight quickly!

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#86 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 11:27 AM

What a beautiful, tiny little girl you have mama! And yes, I am a weepy mess too She looks absolutely perfect, and I am sure she will be coming home with you soon. Keep doing what you are doing because it is working!!

Can't wait to hear more about her accomplishments, and don't stress about the feedings, you have enough stress.

Hugs,
Christie
#87 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 11:44 AM

She is gorgeous! I am so thankful : she is doing so well and gaining weight! And that your dh gets to do kangaroo care this weekend. :
#88 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 01:16 PM

That is so awesome that she is doing so well! Her pictures made me get all teary eyed, what a little sweetie. Question for you, what breed is your dog

Here's to your little sweetie coming home with you very soon.:

Shawna- wife to DH, mother to DD (6-2009)
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35****heartbeat.gif
#89 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 02:32 PM

She is just beautiful. Congrats. I love that she is doing so well.
#90 of 123 Old 04-17-2009, 03:16 PM

I'm so happy to hear your positive update! Keep growing little girl!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page