Epo? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've seen threads about this in the other ddc's

Is anyone planning to take evening primrose oil at some point? I've read different things, like it's ok to take orally at week 34. Other places it's not ok until week 36. Assuming the pregnancy has been healthy so far.

From what I understand, it won't put you into labor unless you are ready to go anyway?

Anyone have input on this?

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#2 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 12:12 PM

Forgive my ignorance, but why would you take it?

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#3 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 12:14 PM

I used it with my first, but I can't remember when I began. At first it was just 2 pills by mouth at night. Eventually, my MW said I could insert one or two of the capsules vaginally at night (just sleep on a towel!). He came at 40 weeks + 5 days, so I don't think it caused anything to happen early.

I figure this time I will start taking them orally at 38 weeks.
#4 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 12:50 PM

Forgive my lack of references but.
The last studies I read regarding the effectiveness of EPO when taken orally said that it was essentially useless. One could easily argue other benefits...

I have not read any studies regarding the effectiveness of EPO when applied to the cervix, but anecdotally it works to soften the cervix. Frankly, anecdotally other oils do as well...

It won't "put you into labor" at all. However, I wouldn't want to soften my cervix at all before at least 36 weeks.

All that being said... I'll probably use some myself after week 36. lol

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#5 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahstw View Post
Forgive my lack of references but.
The last studies I read regarding the effectiveness of EPO when taken orally said that it was essentially useless. One could easily argue other benefits...

I have not read any studies regarding the effectiveness of EPO when applied to the cervix, but anecdotally it works to soften the cervix. Frankly, anecdotally other oils do as well...

It won't "put you into labor" at all. However, I wouldn't want to soften my cervix at all before at least 36 weeks.

All that being said... I'll probably use some myself after week 36. lol
this cracked me up! hehe!

epo sounds like too much work to me. I have faith my body will do what it's supposed to when it's supposed to. I'd only consider doing things to "help" it along if it looks as if I'd go so far post-date that a medical inducement would be looming.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#6 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 02:32 PM

I took it with 3 babies and it did nothing...honestly. I really think it was a waste of time. So this time I am not even bothering.
#7 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 02:35 PM

I've never tried it before, but I'm taking it this time. I don't know if it will help, but I don't think it will hurt.
#8 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 02:38 PM

I took it orally and vag. last time, starting at 37 weeks. I had DS at 41 weeks. I don't know if it made a difference, but I was in labor with DS for 8 hours, so I don't think that's too bad for my first time.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#9 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 06:06 PM

I just started taking 1000mg a day. I'm 36 weeks tomorrow. I didn't take it with my first pregnancy, but with my second, I started at around 36 weeks taking it orally and I do believe that it is one of the reasons why my induction was so successful. Whenever I was examined, I also heard how ripe and ready my cervix was. We'll see what happens this time!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#10 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I figure my body doesn't need it. But I've also had 2 fast/easy births, and I tend to go early, so I see no reason to take it. My longest labor was 5 hours, so obviously my cervix knew what to do without EPO.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#11 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 07:04 PM

I never took it with DD1, and probably wont take it this time around either. Though I could possibly be swayed.
From what I know, it doesnt help with you going into labor, but it does help once you are IN labor. It's been said to "melt away the cervix". Now if I can get more success stories like that, I'll try it out. :P

Kim, wife to my best friend and high school sweetheart. :
Mom to DD1 (2/06) : and DD2 (6/09) :
#12 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 07:39 PM

I used it vaginally at 37 weeks only with my second and my labor was 3 hours. My first labor was 42 hours. Not sure what made such a big difference but I'll definitely be using it vaginally again probably around 36-37 weeks.

Happily married and unschooling 5 kiddos Oct. 2004, July, 2007, July, 2009, Oct. 2010, Nov. 2012 uc.jpg

#13 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 08:04 PM

I used it starting in week 37 last pregnancy- orally only. That labor, my first, was only 5 hours start to finish. I will take it again, orally, starting maybe in week 36. I don't know if it helped or not, honestly. My mom also had quick and easy labors so who knows? But why mess with success?
#14 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleymama View Post
I took it with 3 babies and it did nothing...honestly. I really think it was a waste of time. So this time I am not even bothering.
Same here. With my first I started EPO at 36 weeks daily both orally and vaginally and I was induced at 42 weeks and 4 days. At the start of my induction my cervix was closed tight and thick, lol. The induction was slow going and took about 18+ hours total. I did not dilate quickly at all. 6.5 weeks of EPO didn't do anything at all. I'm not going to bother this time. But, other women swear by it and have had great success. I figure it can't hurt. But I just see no reason to use it myself.
#15 of 16 Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM

I'm starting it orally now and will probably start vaginally at about 38 weeks. Partly I want to do it because since I am trying for a VBAC, I really don't want to go very far past my due date, especially since they probably won't even talk about inducing and would just want me to have a c-section. Another reason is that I suspect I might have some scarring on my cervix from a biopsy I had years ago, and my doula (who is a student midwife) said EPO is great for softening scar tissue. She suggests using like 5 of them at a time vaginally once every 2-3 days. Since my first labor was 26 hours and I only ever got to 3 cm, I am willing to try anything that seems like it could help me dilate easier!

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

#16 of 16 Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

I love hearing stories from people who've tried this and why they tried it, etc! Thanks!!

I've had fast (6 hours or less) labors, so not looking to speed that part of it up. But I'm scheduled to be induced at 38 weeks and I want to push that back to 39 weeks but still hope to go into labor on my own before that. So I was wondering if taking the epo would help. I went into labor naturally with my ds's at 39 and 40 weeks.

Then there's the RRL tea, or something like that. Have to do some more research.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page