Baby Watch '09 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2009, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought I would start a thread for various updates on progress as we are getting close!

i had my 36 week check up today. i'm dilated 1.5 cm and my cervix is soft but long. anyone care to tell me what "soft but long" translates to for the layperson?

i know this could mean very little, but i'm hoping to be a little early this time around (when 2 days past due date with ds1). i'm cautiously hopeful and plan to start with the regular walks and sex tomorrow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2009, 03:48 PM

I'm only 32.5 weeks, so I have a ways to go.

I don't think I even plan on being checked. It really means nothing and isn't at all indicative of when you might "go" so I think for me, knowing less will be better for my sanity!

I think if you saw a picture of the cervix it would make more sense. The cervix kind of dips down at the bottom and as you thin, it stretches and so the "head" of the cervix (not sure how else to describe it) will move up as it thins/stretches. So, I'd guess it means that you're getting soft but haven't thinned enough to have that move "up" if that makes sense? I could be way off too! hehe!

I'm also at the point where as we get closer into May, everyday I log in I'm expecting someone to have gone into labor by now! And I wonder if I'll have a June or a July baby!

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

Old 05-06-2009, 04:34 PM

Me too, I'm on the cusp of late June/early July, so I will look forward to getting caught up in everyone else's excitement!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
Old 05-06-2009, 07:52 PM

I'm 36 weeks now and last night I was thinking about going to the hospital because I was having such bad, painful contractions. I was really panicking. I want to go early, but not this early! After drinking water and laying down, they did stop but my back pain has never gone away yet.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
Old 05-06-2009, 08:02 PM

I am only 33 weeks today. But I learned my babe is FINALLY VERTEX!!! He/she has been transverse or breech the entire pregnancy and no longer :

I am excited for more babies in this DDC, but I know I'll be near the end I won't get my cervix checked at all before I go into labor. Too much anticipation and disappointment, as it means nothing really. I just hope I have SOME indication that labor is near, as it happened so quickly last time.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:05 PM

We're not doing cervical checks until labor, but I'm 35 weeks, the baby has dropped, I've had a few slightly painful contractions, and I'm definitely feeling twinges in my cervix. Also, a bit o bloody show, though not much.

I'm guessing I'll be going around 37 or 38 weeks, which is fine by me.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 PM

I am only 32w2d so I still have some time. I think the only upside to a scheduled c-section is I do know the end date, but it can always happen sooner. I at least know I wont stay pg forever, which I felt that way with my first.
Old 05-06-2009, 08:51 PM

I'm 36.5 weeks-- EDD is actually May 30th-- and had an appointment today. My docs don't seem to be doing internal checks, thank goodness-- I mean, I'd turn them down if I didn't want them, but it's easier when it just never comes up, yk?-- so I have no idea whether I'm dialated at all. My gut instinct says that I'm not, that I'm still closed up tight, but who knows what that's worth, right?

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

Old 05-06-2009, 09:46 PM - Thread Starter

well, i guess i'm alone in being checked (i'm the kind of person that likes to know what is going on) but it was nice to know that some of those twinges i've been feeling have been productive.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
I'm 36.5 weeks-- EDD is actually May 30th-- and had an appointment today. My docs don't seem to be doing internal checks, thank goodness-- I mean, I'd turn them down if I didn't want them, but it's easier when it just never comes up, yk?-- so I have no idea whether I'm dialated at all. My gut instinct says that I'm not, that I'm still closed up tight, but who knows what that's worth, right?
Wow! It's amazing you'll be 37 weeks and good to go in a few more days! :

I can't believe how close we are all getting!

I'm not planning on doing any cervical checks (although I do admit to attempting self checks now and again. At the moment I think my cervix is located up near my tonsils, so it's way out of reach. )

Baby is vertex, facing left, but still floating around pretty high up. I'm hoping s/he drops soon so I can breath again. I'm 34 weeks and a couple days, so still have a ways to go. I will be really surprised if this baby comes early. I don't feel like anything is even close to happening.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

Old 05-06-2009, 09:52 PM

What do twinges in your cervix feel like? I have little shooting pains up there, kind of behind the bone.... is that what you all are talking about?I'm not having cervical checks and haven't tried checking myself.
BTW, does anyone else feel like their LO is trying to stick it's hands out your vagina? It practically makes me pee my pants!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:59 PM

Ill be 36 weeks this weekend, my doc only does one check, next week, since they have to do the group B strep anyway. She'll verify babe is head down (she thinks it is) which will be nice to know as well.

I get contractions when I do my longish bike rides (if they are more than 30mi, though I only go as far as 45 now) but its just the braxton's and they aren't painful. But they do come more often now! I even got some on my bike ride home today and that's only 11mi.

I have been getting more and more cervix twinges - i figured that might be babe rotating head or something? Is it a sign of something else? Some are actually quite surprisingly strong feeling but only for a brief second.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

Old 05-06-2009, 10:04 PM

How exciting!! It's so neat to know that some of you will probably be going early and having a baby in just a matter of days/week. It would be great to know the exact day and I'm jealous of the c-section mamas that know the day! I feel so conflicted on when I will have this baby. The rational, logical side of me knows that I probably have 7+ weeks to go based on my history but I keep having this feeling that I'm going to go early like 37 or 38 weeks. Then I try to smack myself back into reality .

I won't be having any cervical checks either. So far, I've never dilated before labor anyhow. But the baby is so so sooo much lower than I've ever carried before and I have so much pain and pressure down low that it just feels so different from my previous pregnancies. Maybe I really will go early. Someone smack me...I'm doing it again.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 PM

well im 34 and 5, and i have not been checked yet. i will be checked at my next appointment, when they do my GBS test, and i am hoping to have made a bit of progress. i would not mind to go 40 full weeks, but i have been contracting for weeks now, and i would like to know that it has not all been for nothing. plus, i have a history of very short labors, and knowing whats going on makes ma feel less like a walking time bomb.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:12 PM

seafox, I'm just a few day ahead of you (due the 4th) and It's just been recently that I've started noticing these twinges too, and surprised as well at how strong they can be.
But I don't really know what they are.
Good job on the long bike rides, I'm envious!
I had a dream the other night that I had a 10 lb baby and went out and ran a 10 mile race and I was so light and it felt soooooooo good!
momtomine, I've been having contractions for awhile now and my midwife checked me at 33 weeks just to be sure I wasn't dilating (I wasn't), but I'm hoping that they're not all for nothing too!
Old 05-06-2009, 10:56 PM

I checked myself the other day. I think I am 1-2cm. I know I checked before and I was hardly 1cm and long and not it is very soft and way shorter. I am not due until June 21st. I am sure I will be atleast mid June.(this is my 5th birth)

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
Old 05-06-2009, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm 34 weeks and I'm not doing checks this time since I was 2cm dilated and 70% effaced, soft etc. from about this time with my first even. It meant nothing so I don't psych myself out. The baby has been in position for about a month but floats up and down and, since this is my 3rd, might not stay dropped until the very end. I'm hoping to spring magically into labor in about 2.5 weeks.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:08 PM

I have a 38 and 36 weeker so I thought that maybe I'd be having her early, just based on my history. Both were really quick labors too. BUT I think w/this LO, I'll be overdue and having a long labor, knowing my luck!!!

I am having stronger brax hix and lots of cervix twinges plus I've dropped. My midwife checked and she's head down. I'm not ready for her yet but once I hit 37 weeks I will be LOL! I'm 34w4d right now, so she needs to stick around longer.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 PM

35 weeks today and i lost a small part of my mucous plug. my midwife (the one who i apprentice for) came and did my home visit today. babe is hanging out on my left and has his little head nice and tucked. by both mine and my midwife's palpation, we're thinking he's b/w 5-6lbs right now. last week when i checked myself i was 2cm and 50% effaced, very posterior cervix (i almost couldn't reach). i have no idea if i've changed from there, and i'm not too curious, either.

i am still thinking he's NOT coming early, but my midwife has ordered weekly visits starting now instead of after 36 weeks. dd was born at exaclty 37 weeks, and my body is doing much of the same it did in the weeks leading up to her birth. i just feel like baby is not ready to come out, my body is just like my brain and likes to be early for everything by nature i do hate being late for things
Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 PM

When the doctor did a cervix check on me, I thought......

shouldn't I at least get dinner first? :

WOAH TRIGGER!!!!!!

Okay, so obviously, my LO is almost a month old. Guess I get the prize for having the first baby. ???? Uhhh, I would have happily relinquished that crown. :

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
Old 05-07-2009, 12:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Old 05-07-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclady View Post
When the doctor did a cervix check on me, I thought......

shouldn't I at least get dinner first? :

WOAH TRIGGER!!!!!!

Okay, so obviously, my LO is almost a month old. Guess I get the prize for having the first baby. ???? Uhhh, I would have happily relinquished that crown. :

Yeah the first time I ever got my cervix checked (by a resident who was "learning" LOL) I was thinking same thing!!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 05-07-2009, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

can't remember who asked what the twinges feel like....i'm having braxton hicks but occasionally, and more often recently, it feels like a sharp stabbing pain like with a UTI. except it happens when i'm walking or sitting, not when i'm peeing.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:05 AM

I have similar twinges sometimes too. Yesterday was my 36 week visit (well I'll be 36 weeks on Saturday) and I did get a GBS swab but declined the cervix check and will probably decline until at least 38 weeks unless I am having strong labor indications. The cervix checks made me crampy and spot when pregnant with DD (plus former OB stripped my membranes at 38 weeks without my prior knowledge ). I am trying to keep this baby cooking until at least 38 full weeks, preferably longer as we are moving house on 5/21 (I'll be 37w 5d) and need a bit of time!

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruver View Post
well, i guess i'm alone in being checked (i'm the kind of person that likes to know what is going on) but it was nice to know that some of those twinges i've been feeling have been productive.
You're not alone! I like to know, too I'll be 36 weeks next week and I am guessing I'll get an internal at that appt to be checked. Then every week after that. My labors have been fast, so any "heads up" I can get would be good. Though I don't think I had a slow dilation in the weeks leading up to labor, so not sure how sound my reasoning is!

My level 2 u/s last week estimated baby at 5lb7oz (+/- 13oz), which is a little below average. So I'd like him to stay cooking for a few weeks, at least. I was measuring 38 weeks from the outside with a measuring tape at 34 weeks, though, so my body is really sore from lugging all this around! It's all in front, too--from the back you can't tell I'm pg. I look comical.

I do log on now thinking there may be some exciting news. And I've been stalking the May DDC, to live vicariously.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 AM

I'm 33w 6d and my cervix is soft, still long, and I won't be getting another internal check until 36 weeks.

Question: This is my third child and I didn't think my nips and areolas could get any larger/darker (been nursing and/or preg for the past 4 years), and I swear, they have gotten even larger than before! Anyone else have this shocker?

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
Old 05-07-2009, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I'm 34 weeks, and baby feels like he'll crawl out at any moment. Lots and lots of cervical twinges. I'll bet I'm probably dilating a little bit, but this is also #3, so it's normal to dilate early.

I decline cervical exams (they're so uncomfortable!), and plan to decline them during labor this time too. Last time, I had ONE just to see if we had time to fill the tub. I was 6cm, so we started filling the tub. Not long after that, the tub wasn't filled yet, and I was pushing. And my midwife had had a HARD time reaching my cervix. Apparently, mine stays up near my tonsils even when baby's about to come out. So this time, I don't plan to do any dilation checks, since that one we did last time was so worthless. I have fast labors. We know that. And the tub is pre-filled now, so it will be good to go anyway... assuming I even get up there. I'm praying for another 5 hour labor so we'll have plenty of time to get my mom here to watch the kids and get my midwife up here (lives an hour from me) and all of us get to the birth house and me into the tub so I can finally have the waterbirth I've wanted with every birth. We'll see though. Last birth was still wonderful, even without the waterbirth, but since this is my last kid (planned at least), I would like to get that waterbirth I always wanted.

As far as contractions go... I'm getting BH whenever I stand up and walk across a room. Fun fun. They seem to have really started when baby finally decided to go vertex and stay that way. He's on my right side, facing left. I can feel a head, a butt, a leg, and a foot.

I'm kind of feeling like this one may come before 37 weeks. Hopefully he'll at least get to 36 weeks. That's when my midwife goes on call and I can have an out-of-hospital birth. The farthest I've gone is 36w6d, so I figure he'll likely be somewhere between 36-38 weeks. But you never know... I could be weird and go past my due date.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 05-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by akichan View Post
Question: This is my third child and I didn't think my nips and areolas could get any larger/darker (been nursing and/or preg for the past 4 years), and I swear, they have gotten even larger than before! Anyone else have this shocker?
I think mine have too, and this is also my third child. I don't remember them doing this before?

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 05-07-2009, 11:48 AM

I'm 35 weeks now and physically I feel so far away from going into labor! I'm not having any internals done, but baby is still quite high and I haven't had many aches or twinges or anything. I thought for sure by this point I would be less comfortable and wanting to get baby out. I'm not complaining - this has been a pleasant surprise. I'm just nervous that labor will come on suddenly when I still feel like I have a ways to go!

DD 5/25/09 :
5/22/11
Old 05-07-2009, 01:09 PM

so can someone explain what the cervical twinges mean?

I feel far away also, I am way too comfortable I think, baby is still not dropped and I can still bike and run and everything so I feel like I'm heading for more like 42wks but I do get the twinges so just wondering what that's a sign of, if anything?

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

User Tag List