June 09 Homebirthing Tribe for May! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 140 Old 05-23-2009, 12:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have most things ready. I am waiting for the actual kit to come in the mail. I have all the other things that I am supposed to have besides pads and poise pads.

I am waiting until labor starts to do the bed. Probably DH will do it really. He is good about making the bed anyway.

OH yeah, I need to get batteries for the flashlight. But that is it. Batteries and pads.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#62 of 140 Old 05-23-2009, 01:18 AM

flashlight?

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#63 of 140 Old 05-23-2009, 11:03 AM

I did not ask about the flashlight. It would seem that would be in HER kit of stuff. And peroxide. But those are things on my list. I understand the crock pot, and all the other stuff such as soap, tissues, paper towels, olive oil and so on.

Oh well, I am just doing what I am told.

#64 of 140 Old 05-23-2009, 12:48 PM

the flashlight is usually used when mama is giving birth in the dark or is mama wants to see her baby as it crowns (we shine the light on mom and have a mirror below her so she can see if she wants). we also use it in the event that we have to suture a tear on mama. we carry a flashlight in case mama doesn't have one, but it's better to have your own in case of body fluids and whatnot getting on it; flashlights are not the easiest to disinfect with all the little patterns and stuff on them sometimes. the peroxide is for getting bloodstains out of sheets, carpet, clothes, etc. we ask that mama have her own bottle, b/c bleeding goes on long after the first night, and the potential for blood staining sheets or carpet is certainly still there long after we go home.

i'm doing some prodromal labor type stuff. had some nice, regular contractions during dd's nap yest., then she woke up and they spread out. she went to bed at 9 pm or so and the ctx started up again and were a bit more than bh. been rather crampy since yesterday morning, but i'm not convinced that things are going to happen this weekend. however dd is going to the grandparents from this afternoon to tomorrow afternoon, so perhaps i'll be able to let go enough to make some more body changes in prep for labor. i know what dh and i are going to be doing !
#65 of 140 Old 05-24-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonJelly View Post
So from what I am seeing, everyone is waiting until labor starts to make up the bed for labor? I just can't help but thinking it would be nice to have that done but I guess it doesn't make sense to do it ahead of time...
The reason you wait is because it gets really hot sleeping with the plastic sheet on the bed...it just does not breath at all (ya, I've BTDT)

We decided to blow up the pool tonight to see where exactly we are going to put it and how long it takes to blow up, then after it was full we just decided to leave it blown up and put it in the spare room/office for now. It's the 60x22" fishy pool like this one: http://www.inhishands.com/html/WaterBirth.html and it took 20 minutes to blow up with an electric air pump-in case anyone else is wondering. 38 weeks now and just waiting! Everything is ready to go!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#66 of 140 Old 05-24-2009, 02:51 AM

Trish, you just answered one of my questions I was wondering if an electric pump would be okay to use with the fishy pools. I have the bigger one and was thinking about what a massive hassle it would be to use a manual air pump to blow it up. I saw an electric air pump for $20 and am SO buying it the next time I'm at the store! I need to do a test run on the pool to make sure there are no issues with it.

I haven't even sewn the birth blanket yet Need to get on that this week. I have a couple of flannel sheets and some vinyl shower curtain liners; just need to stitch them together and it's done. This is what my mw suggested for a waterproof, cheap and easily disposed of birthing blanket. Since it's not huge it's easy to drag from one room to another, so if I change my mind on the water birth I can easily move from couch to bed or the other way.

Other than that, I think we're ready. I keep going through the checklist in my mind and I can't think of anything else I need. Finally bought the car seat yesterday. Diapers, diaper bag, clothing are all ready. I even washed all of the diapers to prep them. I have things that I want to make and I really need to get on my mw gifts, but otherwise I think we're pretty much set. Now just to wait for Bun!
#67 of 140 Old 05-24-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Honestly, I am feeling a bit uneasy about labor - not because of the pain - but because (according to my m/w), 3rd labors are really unpredictable. I had a very hard, drawn-out (albeit at home) 36 hour labor with my 1st and an easy-peasy 3.5 hour labor with my 2nd. So, who knows?

I think I'll feel much more at ease next weekend after my girls finish school this week and that is all over. I'm due 6/10 and would love to make it until June 1st. We did our henna yesterday - a mermaid for one, an ankle bracelet for the other, and a beautiful flower around my belly button for me.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#68 of 140 Old 05-24-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmama View Post
Honestly, I am feeling a bit uneasy about labor - not because of the pain - but because (according to my m/w), 3rd labors are really unpredictable.
It seems weird to me that she would say that. ALL labors are unpredictable. There is sometimes a pattern with a multip, but anything can happen any time with anyone. Go in anticipating everything going wonderfully. Visualise your perfect labor and birth. Don't sweat the possibilities. Have preparations in place just in case, but then ignore them and know that you're going to be fine.
#69 of 140 Old 05-24-2009, 04:40 PM

"There is sometimes a pattern with a multip, but anything can happen any time with anyone."

My midwife's 5th birth (her own, not a clients) was 3.5 hours unassisted, and her 6th was 52 hours also unassisted (but he had is elbow up by his forehead). So yes, things can be really unpredictable.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#70 of 140 Old 05-24-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
"There is sometimes a pattern with a multip, but anything can happen any time with anyone."

My midwife's 5th birth (her own, not a clients) was 3.5 hours unassisted, and her 6th was 52 hours also unassisted (but he had is elbow up by his forehead). So yes, things can be really unpredictable.
Oh, I don't like this thought! I had an ultrasound last week, bc of a GD diagnosis. The ultrasound showed everything is normal. (So I continue to believe the GD is BS). But, the little guy had his hand up by his head, and I am trying not to focus on that becoming a problem!!

(I had a very easy labor w/my 2nd, my first was posterior and not so easy )

BTW, the GD was the last straw in my attempt to use a hospital's BC - bc my insurance will cover the hospital but not a HB. So I've just written a credit card check and joined your HB tribe in the last month.

Andee
#71 of 140 Old 05-24-2009, 08:37 PM

Welcome Andee!

I think the thing with my midwife's last kid was not so much the hand by the face, but the hand on top of the head/elbow by the forehead. It's like extreme version of hand by the face, and probably that much worse. But she did have her homebirth and everything was fine.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#72 of 140 Old 05-24-2009, 09:10 PM

I keep plugging this, but if you're concerned about posterior positioning, check out spinningbabies.com! They have some great positioning tips to get baby into optimal birthing position.

So far this baby has been a completely different experience than any of the others, so I'm betting birth will follow that same pattern. Well, it has to ~ this is the first homebirth, so already it's different!
#73 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 04:36 AM

Did you/will you pack a "just in case" hospital bag?

Just curious.

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#74 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

It has never (in three homebirths) occurred to me to pack a "just in case" bag. I think it would screw with my state of mind too much.

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#75 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akichan View Post
Did you/will you pack a "just in case" hospital bag?

Just curious.
I don't want to. It feels like a jinx. I also have not even stepped foot in the hospital birth center {and avoided it by taking the long way when I went to the hospital for the ultrasounds; radiology is right next to the birth center}, haven't looked up the location or phone number of either hospital suggested by the MWs for transfers and have no back up plans in place at all.

Which feels irresponsible somehow, because I'm usually a major "cover all the bases" type of planner, but I just cannot bring myself to do any of that yet. The MW said I should have a bag with a change of clothes for me and baby and any vital information ready, just in case of emergency transfer. I just can't do it yet.
#76 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 02:32 PM

No I didn't with my own homebirth. The only thing we did was write down directions on how to get there from our house (for the midwives) in the event we needed to transfer. I had actually asked my MW about pre-registering at the hospital and she advised against. For the whole reason ktmama said-it would set up that doubt and worry in your head.

Last birth and this one I have a bag, but that's because I am delivering at the baby's parents house and then staying with them, not becasue I'm worried about transfer.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#77 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 04:23 PM

I will not pack a bag. If we NEED to go to the hospital, my DH knows what things I wear and what I don't. So hopefully he will not pack anything crazy.

#78 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 05:25 PM

I packed a few things. Toiletries, PJs, socks. That's about it. Just in case, but I am assuming I won't need it. But it's there. Plus a short list of stuff I want DH to grab and add to the bag if necessary (lanolin, my wrist brace, baby outfit, etc). I don't think it will psyche me out having it ready. I am already planning to have to unpack it. It's just one more thing that has helped me feel ready and in control of my world before our HB.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#79 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 05:47 PM

My mw suggests packing one on her list but I don't think I will. We're literally 10 mins away from our hospital (driving normal streets - not in an ambulance) so IF we had an emergency transfer hubby could easily pop home, get stuff and come back when teh time was right. Plus, the bag I packed hwen I had my son was almost a waste - I hardly used anything!

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#80 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 07:03 PM

I didn't. I just don't want to bother. I keep adding things to my To Do Before Baby List.

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#81 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 07:16 PM

I can't bring myself to pack the just in case bag either - I started and got as far as some newborn prefolds and then stuck it back in the closet. I feel like all of our homebirth stuff is ready short of me figuring out the video camera stuff. Need to do that tomorrow for sure - since I need to buy a new stick for it.

Other than that I am mainly focused on getting dd's new playset together.

Beth, Mama to my two nurslings, DD 2.22.07 and DS 6.20.09 Worn, Intact, CD, Unvaxed, Born at Home!
#82 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 08:07 PM

Can anyone else hardly believe they are really going to have a homebirth and soon?!

I'm due this week, EDD is today, and it just hit me today while I was resting--I'm really going to have my homebirth! :

#83 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 08:18 PM

My midwife thinks that not packing the bag is a jinx.

She wants me to have my after clothes and the baby's clothes/diaper/blanket all ready for her to be able to find anyway.
So, it's just a matter of putting that in a bag, along with some other things, like a snack and drink.

My midwife says it's the mom's that don't pack the bag that end up needing it. She told me a story about a woman on her 3rd baby, who had planned 3 home births, but the first 2 ended in transfers to the hospital. Number 3 we her last chance. She had also felt that packing the bag was more of a jinx.

She did get to birth baby#3 at home wonderfully, but then had problems with the placenta and had to go to the hospital. When they went to grab the bag, it was half packed.

I had my stuff all in a box, with a bag next it.
After hearing the story, I crammed a night gown and some baby clothes into a bag and bought some granola bars. I guess I should add something to wear home. I did pick out a different nightgown for being in public vs staying home. I also need to make a copy of my insurance card and get a couple of numbers together--but that's supposed to go on my fridge, and is not officially part of the "bag".

Andee
#84 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 08:35 PM

I'm not bothering to pack a bag because my house is a 5 minute drive from the hospital. So, if I do transfer it won't be a big deal for DH to pick up some stuff for us.

#85 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
It's just one more thing that has helped me feel ready and in control of my world before our HB.
Yeah, that.

I do have one packed, but that's because I have a strong need to feel very prepared since I was not at all prepared when my DD came early. I don't think it will affect my motivation to stay home.

{Partner to DH  and Former WOHM, now SAHM  to DD, DD , and DS } *** ***
#86 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM

I'm planning on packing a bag that hopefully will not be needed. I got a list of what to include at my mw appt. last week, and I will try to get it done this week. My problem is that I don't have that many pajamas that still fit, so I hate to have one packed, but once I pack my bag I don't want to be taking stuff out.

On a different note, today we went out and bought the rest of the things on our homebirth list. My midwives will attend a homebirth starting at 37 weeks and I'm at 36 weeks today, so I finally felt comfortable buying the rest of our supplies. (I hope I didn't just jinx myself!) My home visit is next week, and then we should be all set!

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#87 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 PM

Thanks for the replies, ladies!

Sorry, but I have one more question. Did you/will you use a mirror? What kind of mirror should I get? I hear they are very useful for the pushing stage. If you used a mirror before, did you like it?

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#88 of 140 Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 PM

I was just wondering abuot the mirror. I have yet to get one and I'm wondering *where* to get one?

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#89 of 140 Old 06-01-2009, 12:43 AM

I had a handheld mirror that I think you would normally find where hair stuff is...it's like the kind that a stylist would hand you to look at the back of your hair. It's been too long now since I got it to remember where

I did use it right at the end of pushing when DD was crowning and it was really cool to see.

#90 of 140 Old 06-01-2009, 10:30 AM

You can find a mirror at the dollar store.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page