If contractions are painless - Mothering Forums

If contractions are painless

DevaMajka's Avatar DevaMajka (TS)
03:11 PM Liked: 60
#1 of 8
05-18-2009 | Posts: 10,344
Could they indicate preterm labor? Is there any reason to try to pay attention to them, as far as how many per hour, or how regular they are?

Yesterday, I had somewhat regular but painless contractions. A little bit of pressure/tightness was the only sign that they were happening, but my belly tightened up a LOT. They died down when I sat, so I wasn't concerned, but I spent a lot of the day feeling my belly to see if any pressure that I felt was a contraction of just the baby moving funny.

Just made me wonder if painless contractions are ever anything to worry about, or if they are always BH cx's.
MommaShark's Avatar MommaShark
03:17 PM Liked: 0
#2 of 8
05-18-2009 | Posts: 1,101
With mine - the nurse practitioner said that it's the frequency that is causing the cervix to soften too early......she didn't distinguish between BH and real contractions......she said under 4 an hour is my goal.
nerin's Avatar nerin
03:32 PM Liked: 0
#3 of 8
05-18-2009 | Posts: 407
my dd2 was born at 36w2d after 5 days of regular, painless contractions. i literally went to 8cm before i had pain with contractions, so i would agree with the pp that it's frequency that you need to be aware of.

on the other hand, i have had lots and lots of episodes with all of my other pregnancies where i had regular contractions for hours with zero change to my cervix. the big difference with dd2 was that i was also having a lot of other labor signs along with the contractions....crampiness low in the front that wrapped around to my back, aching thighs, diarrhea, etc.

that probably does nothing to ease your mind, i'm sorry. there is little way to know unless you have a cervical check. just rest, drink water, and watch your body for other signs of preterm labor! good luck, mama!
ghuaghua's Avatar ghuaghua
04:01 PM Liked: 0
#4 of 8
05-18-2009 | Posts: 508
With my second labor it took until about 8 cm or so for me to realize it was *real* labor, because my contractions were pretty painless, though regular.
snowmom5's Avatar snowmom5
04:15 PM Liked: 0
#5 of 8
05-18-2009 | Posts: 756
My OB's preterm labor rules: The contractions of preterm labor are often painless. Contractions of 4 or more per hour that do not go away with rest and hydration are an indication to call your care provider.
beachcomber's Avatar beachcomber
07:36 PM Liked: 17
#6 of 8
05-18-2009 | Posts: 1,441
Yup. If they don't abate with changes in position (like lying down) then they're leading you somewhere.
boscopup's Avatar boscopup
10:21 PM Liked: 68
#7 of 8
05-18-2009 | Posts: 5,037
Yeah, preterm labor contractions can certainly be painless. I could barely feel mine when they started up (29 weeks with #1). It wasn't until the nurse put the contraction monitor on my belly and TOLD ME I was having a contraction that I realized that was that weird feeling. I could barely feel it at all!

That said, I contract when I'm up moving about. If you sit down and they stop, then I'd say they're BH. If they are regular and keep going no matter what you do, then you might be having PTL.
DevaMajka's Avatar DevaMajka (TS)
02:41 PM Liked: 60
#8 of 8
05-19-2009 | Posts: 10,344
Ok, then I'll definitely keep paying attention to them!
So far, they've all gone away when I rest, so I'm not concerned. Just was wondering if I was just being obsessive and paranoid. I guess I'm not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmom5 View Post
My OB's preterm labor rules: The contractions of preterm labor are often painless. Contractions of 4 or more per hour that do not go away with rest and hydration are an indication to call your care provider.
Seems like a good, easy, rule of thumb to follow. Thanks!
Reply Subscribe June 2009