What are you doing about birth control after this baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are trying to decide what to do about birth control after this baby. We are not very good at being consistent with condoms, and anything hormonal does CRAZY stuff to me! I nearly signed myself into a mental hospital once when I was on the pill, and soon after I stopped I was back to normal...I am very sensitive to any kind of medication, so I should've known better.

I have been looking into the natural family planning method, and there are even classes in our area. I would really love to do one, but not sure about spending the money.

So looking for ideas...what are you doing for birth control after this pregnancy?

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#2 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM

Not sure. Both of us hate condoms and I do really badly with hormonal BC as well. Considering an IUD and/or family planning method. We need to decide soon!

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#3 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:22 PM

I had a great experience with the diaphragm.

And I really don't know what we're doing. I have PCOS and this baby took 2 years to conceive. Ideally I'd just never go on birth control again and we'd not try but not avoid, but if I get my period back way before we're ready to try again, the Pill would be a good idea because it could preserve my fertility. So it depends on when I start bleeding and what a doctor says.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#4 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:23 PM

Tubal, and who knows if my c-section will result in a hystorectomy. But for sure a tubal.

If we were planning more in the future, I would do natural family planning, but since we are so beyond done, we are making sure it doesn't happen. Well, as sure as you can with a tubal.
#5 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:24 PM

We do NFP and haven't had any problems with it- we knew that we were fertile when all our babies have been conceived. I also use breastfeeding as birth control with much success. I have had 8 months, 12 months and 15 months without ovulation with my three other kiddos respectively. I know this doesn't work as well for some women, I am glad it has worked for us. And I have always been able to identify my return to fertility before it happened, so there was no "Oops, we ovulated and conceived before my period returned".

I've learned the Creighton Method of NFP but this last time I wanted the cross checking of the Sympto- Thermal Method so we bought the CCL homestudy course. Worked like a charm

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#6 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:30 PM

Probably condoms. I am pretty sure, like 99% sure, we are done after this baby. DH is open to a third, but I don't think I can handle another pregnancy, honestly. Like many others, I can't handle anything hormonal. I might consider an IUD but it kind of freaks me out as well- I've heard so many people having problems with them.

When this baby is a few years old and we are 100% sure we are done, DH will likely opt for the big V. We'll see. I'm honestly not thrilled with any of the options out there. Infertility worked great for the year we were TTC : Too bad I can't just turn back the clocks now
#7 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:35 PM

We are definitely done. I will use LAM for at least 6 months (I don't cycle until after my babies are 2 years old so this is reliable for me). After that, I'm thinking the Mirena IUD or Essure but I need to look those options more carefully. Eventually I suppose DH will get a vasectomy if I don't do the Essure but I feel bad about that since his genitals have been through enough (related to an agressive infant circ ). He hasn't expressed any hesitation about the vas but then he hasn't really researched it yet, either, so we'll see.

If we were having more AND I had cycles before I wanted to conceive (which never happens for me), then I would consider an IUD or FAM depending on what my cycles were like.
#8 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:46 PM

I was pretty sure we would do the V but I've decided to try the copper (NON hormonal) IUD first. I'm just trying to do the least invasive thing. I'm hoping I have no problems with it. I figure with my age (36 this year) I'll have one or two placed before menopause hits. We've tried (although I admit quite lazily) the NFP method and that is how we have two boys now So I know I'm not great at being consistent and I *KNOW* that I am all done and don't want any more kids.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#9 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:47 PM

I'm not 100% sure, but probably NFP, and maybe condoms as a back up. It took us 13 months to conceive this baby, and for the first 11 of them I was either anovulatory or had super long, mixed up cycles. I'm almost completely certain that it was from being on the pill, so I plan to avoid hormonal birth control like the plague. I charted (using the sympto-thermal method) for the last 6 months or so that we were ttc, so I'm somewhat confident we can successfully avoid pregnancy too. We are planning at least one more (although at 36 weeks pregnant, I'm not sure I think it's such a good idea anymore ) so if we slipped up it wouldn't be the end of the world. I would like to nurse this baby for at least a year though, so I don't want to chance getting pregnant before then.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#10 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 PM

I'd like to use the diaphragm. I've had one, but I never used it. :P I will also be NFP with charting, temping and CM. Worked with TTA and TTC 2X.
Unfortunetly I'm not one of the lucky ones that can use breastfeeding. I got my cycle back 28!!! days PP with DD1. (No pacis, bottles etc. and I was feeding on demand every hour.)

Kim, wife to my best friend and high school sweetheart. :
Mom to DD1 (2/06) : and DD2 (6/09) :
#11 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 07:20 PM

Just wondering how those using NFP manage with all the night nursing/wakings and reliable temps? I charted for over a year (TTC), but didn't have a nursling in bed. Is it really reliable enough when you wake multiple times each night?
#12 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 07:24 PM

dh has graciously volunteered to get a vasectomy. we think that about 6-10 mos. pp is when it'll happen, and i will do nfp until then. we are both content with the idea of our family being where it is, and if that changes down the line we would likely adopt a child.
#13 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Just wondering how those using NFP manage with all the night nursing/wakings and reliable temps? I charted for over a year (TTC), but didn't have a nursling in bed. Is it really reliable enough when you wake multiple times each night?
Since we co-sleep for the most part, even though there is waking, it isn't particularly active (roll over to nurse, go back to sleep). I didn't have a hard time at least seeing a pattern, although during periods were he was ill with ear infections and we were actually up at night, I relied more heavily on the mucus and cervix positioning signs than my temps.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#14 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 07:33 PM

DH has also said that he would have a vasectomy. I am not rushing into anything. I am not going on the pill or having a tubal. I do know that much..

Shawna!! DH Kevin, DD Kaelen (12) DS Drew (10), Sam and Jocelyn 11 months and TTC!!
#15 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 07:50 PM

Good question

I do think that if I for some reason end up with a c section, I'd get a tubal at the same time. We're definitely done--if we ever want more kids, we'd look into adoption. But I think we'll have all we can handle with 4.

I don't want to do BCP. Dh has said he would get a vas, so that would be my first choice.
Nursing does work really well for me, too--it gives me at least 2 years before I have to worry too much about it, though I would definitely be on the lookout for an early return to fertility because an "oops" would be quite a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
I was able to see a pattern without a problem even with a 2yo nursling in bed nursing on and off (mostly on!) all night.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#16 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 08:16 PM

We aren't doing anything... we are planning on letting God give us what he will for the time being, we definitely want more than 2.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#17 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 PM

Another one whose DH is getting the snip!

I have PCOS and dd1 took 4.5 years to conceive. Due to a clotting disorder, I can't use hormonal birth control and my period returned when dd was 4 months old. I was not impressed at all. So we used condoms (which we both hate with a passion). And then stopped because I didn't think pregnancy would happen for a good while and we were accepting of it if it did. A year later it did....just as I was planning to return to work LOL

Due to clotting problems at the beginning of this pregnancy, we've decided that 2 is enough (and we can afford 2 children). So dh will get the snip a few months after this baby is born.
#18 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 08:29 PM

Hubby is getting a vasectomy. Possibly in July. As long as we do it within this year it is covered 100% by insurance since having the baby will be over the family deductible. I've been on the pill twice in my life, and that was enough. Condoms and NFP have always worked for us.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#19 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 09:14 PM

We're going to try NFP and hope that breastfeeding works for us. We were using NFP before this babe, but we broke the rules! It only takes one time!
#20 of 57 Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM

We used NFP and FAM after DS1 and we had an oops baby (I ovulated a week and a half earlier than normal). Before kids DH agreed to the V after two kids, but now I think he is backing off from the idea.. but I can't do hormones, so it will be NFP again if he doesn't get the V.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#21 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelofpeace View Post
We do NFP and haven't had any problems with it- we knew that we were fertile when all our babies have been conceived. I also use breastfeeding as birth control with much success. I have had 8 months, 12 months and 15 months without ovulation with my three other kiddos respectively. I know this doesn't work as well for some women, I am glad it has worked for us. And I have always been able to identify my return to fertility before it happened, so there was no "Oops, we ovulated and conceived before my period returned".

I've learned the Creighton Method of NFP but this last time I wanted the cross checking of the Sympto- Thermal Method so we bought the CCL homestudy course. Worked like a charm
I used the CCL-taught Sympto-Thermal Method to postpone pregnancy for 2.5 years, and used it to try to get pregnant for, um, one month. I plan on using LAM for as long as possible and then charting.

I plan on feeding on demand (and probably no pacifier) when I am with the baby and hopefully co-sleeping. However, I will be working 3 days a week (consisting of 6 chunks of time away from the baby, length of time being gone 2-3 hrs...probably not able to pump during those chunks). The baby will probably need bottles (or some other type of feeding method, but I'm planning on bottles of pumped milk) during those times. I hope that I still get a decent amount of time without cycling.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#22 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 12:52 AM

Nothing. I probably should do NFP but I plan on not even thinking about it. It took us over 3 years to have this baby and that was trying desperately. I'm not going to try to prevent this time around because I feel like it would be all for nothing. Of course this will be the one time we get pregnant without trying, lol. I'll take whatever God gives me at this point.
#23 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 12:59 AM

We are done after this baby. I don't want to be pregnant again. Plus, we can't really afford to have any more than two. I'll probably go with a copper IUD. I can't do hormonal anything so that limits my options. DH gets absolutely horrified at even the thought of a vasectomy (grrr) so if the IUD option doesn't work out, I'll go witha tubal or Essure if I can get it here where I live.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#24 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 01:03 AM

BananaBreadGirl

I fed on demand and cosleep (still!) and I got my first period 6 months after my DD was born. I can't tell you how bummed I was, either. I'd been looking forward to a nice long stretch of no period-related BS. So, those are no guarantee you'll have a long break before returning to fertility. Just so you know.

Erin_BrycesMom,

We tried for nearly 3 years to conceive DD. We tried for about 5 months on and off and conceived DS. It's a total crap shoot. There are no guarantees how long or short a time it'll take. So as long as you're comfortable with the idea of Irish twins, you'll be fine.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#25 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 01:48 AM

We also "tried" (actually did not try to prevent) for years for #1, and this pregnancy was the very first "oops" possible... so, you never know!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#26 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 01:58 AM

We've had to try for all four of my pregnancies and it was never easy. I have fertility problems and now dh has developed a condition that causes low sperm count as well so we are both defective. Throw in my postpartum thyroiditis that I've gotten after both of my live births and I'd be shocked if we ended up blessed with irish twins. But stranger things have happened so you are so right that I have to be ok with it if I'm not going to try to prevent. I would love to have a surprise pregnancy for once...at least I say that now, lol.
#27 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 02:00 AM

We did a FAM/NFP type of BC before, worked for almost 6 yrs (plus LAM, my period took 15 mo to return!) until this surprise, but we were "careless" in Sept. Worked out ok though LOL!!!

After this one DH is getting a V.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#28 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 02:12 AM

It's not helpful for you, but I'm getting a tubal. This is my 8th pregnancy, 5th term pregnancy and 4th living child. I'll be 41 when baby arrives, and this will be my 5th c-section. I'm not taking any chances after this.

Between babies, dh and I have always used condoms, combined with a little bit of charting...but we only risk going without the condoms for a couple days at either end of my cycle from ovulation, as we seem to be very fertile together.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#29 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 02:13 AM

Dh is getting snipped. We talked about getting my tubes tied but I'm a firm believer in post tubal ligation syndrome after seeing it in so many people I've known & cared for. Pass on that

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#30 of 57 Old 05-20-2009, 04:15 AM

I wonder if the outcome of Essure can lead to PTLS or if it's just with the standard Tubal Ligation surgery. Essure causes scar tissue but doesn't actually cut off the blood supply to the ovaries. Hrm ...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page