Mothering Forum banner

Seriously, my feet...

631 views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  Carlin 
#1 ·
...are totally scaring me. They're completely swollen.

I've drank a zillion things of water, ate nearly an entire watermelon by myself today, did a mixture of walking around and resting with my feet up, gave them a massage.
Last night I soaked them in lavender epsom salts, put on foot rub, etc.

What else can I do? Increase protein? Eat more vitamins? I'm in a men's size 8 flipflops as those are the only things that fit.

It is HOT here and things are not looking so good in the "swelling going down" department.

My feet are painful. HELP

#2 ·
I've had some pretty swollen feet the past two days, yesterday I swear they looked deformed. I had some temporary relief with sticking them in cold water, and keeping them up seems to help as well. I'm just hoping I pop soon.

#4 ·
My feet are humongous, too...and not just my feet, but my hands, and various other places on my body. I was doing squats last night and my ankles got so puffy that even my husband was forced to admit they looked bad (he staunchly denies that any part of me looks any different then it did before pregnancy
)

#5 ·
When that happened to me, nothing worked EXCEPT- I would put my feet up (recliner, etc.) and lay those lunch bag freezer things on them. They make some flexible cool packs that you can freeze- it made them feel sooo much better.

I bet that a bag of frozen veggies would also do the trick!

I live in SC, so I know what you mean about HOT!

#8 ·
If there is a swimming pool anywhere near you, that really helped with my swollen feet during my first pregnancy. I would go to the public pool during adult swim hours. I was the only person there during the day under the age of 70!

And there I would be, hugely pregnant, in my bikini. I got lots of looks from the other patrons but oh well. It was AWESOME for my poor swollen feet!

#9 ·
Once mine got that swollen with my son, nothing helped. I mean, putting htem up, DH rubbing them, laying flat on my back with my feet up a wall, sleeping on my left side at night - it would all help a little but I still woke up crazy swollen every day.

I'm not sure what is so different this time than last. Brewer diet? Being in IN instead of AZ heat (due at exatly the same time), etc. I'm starting to swell more and more each week but I still wake up looking pretty back to normal.

I know its sucks. And it starts to hurt. Hang in there and it will be over soon!

#10 ·
My midwife recommended Dandelion tea. I got it and it tastes slightly like soggy graham crackers and I am totally okay with that. Just had a cup. I have also noticed no difference at all after I soak my feet or put them up! I am only bummed out about my Danskos not fitting DH got me this past fall, but all the other shoes I could care less about.

#11 ·
I notice that fish oil, cod liver oil, and protein helps me. On hot days when I'm swelling, I usually haven't taken those and/or have eaten a low-protein breakfast. If I take the fish oils and eat some protein, I usually am a bit better within a couple of hours. But there still is some swelling!

I second the pool idea!

#13 ·
Lurking...

Take a soak in water up to your neck (a deep bath is okay, a hottub, turned down low, is even better, a pool is best) for at least 30 mins.-1 hr. a day. I spent one entire summer gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. of water weight every day with this method, lol. It really has been proven to help, though -- something about the hemodynamics of the water pushing in on you from all sides helps to flush out excess fluids from your body (you pee it out!
) But deep water is the key to it all.

Hope you feel less swollen soon!

Guin

#14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
Lurking...

Take a soak in water up to your neck (a deep bath is okay, a hottub, turned down low, is even better, a pool is best) for at least 30 mins.-1 hr. a day. I spent one entire summer gaining and losing the same 5 lbs. of water weight every day with this method, lol. It really has been proven to help, though -- something about the hemodynamics of the water pushing in on you from all sides helps to flush out excess fluids from your body (you pee it out!
) But deep water is the key to it all.

Hope you feel less swollen soon!

Guin
That is really interesting.

I third the pool suggestion. I'm in an indoor heated pool 2 hours a day most days and it is heavenly. Haven't seen swollen feet or ankles since I started.

#16 ·
Mine are bad too. Yay, pitting edema! Maybe once I'm finished with work this Friday I'll be able to find a pool. Unfortunately that would also mean finding a bathing suit. There's no way any of my pre-pregnancy suits are ever going to fit. Maybe I can find a really cheap plus size one somewhere so that I don't have to spend a bunch on a maternity suit with just a few weeks left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.