Fizzling Contractions. Cruel Joke, or potentially something? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've read many threads on here of women having contractions for a week or two without going into labor.

Last night I started to have contractions regularly. They didn't go away when I laid down, and actually started to kick up a bit when on my right side. They were very noticable, and began to come in a pattern of about 2 minutes apart (lasting only for about 30 seconds) with a definite peak. This went on for about 3 hours or so. Nothing majorly painful by any means, just menstrual type cramping in the lower abdomen and lower back.

Anyway, I started to drift off to sleep thinking that if "this is it" then the contractions would wake me up, etc. BUT instead they fizzled out! This morning, nada, nothing.... Bummer!

So my question is, are any of you experiencing this as well? If so, how long has this been going on for you? Have you had contractions that you thought might be the beginning of labor? Did this happen to you in any of your previous pregnancies? If so, how long? Just curious to hear other stories of pre-labor. I don't know if I'm hoping to hear that it means right around the corner, or if I am just trying to confirm what I know is true... that this can go on for a few weeks .

Oh, I'm due June 8th so I'm 37 weeks 4 days. I went to exactly 40 weeks with my first, and didn't experience any pre-labor 'stuff' before going into labor with him.

Thanks in advance!
#2 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 02:19 PM

I've been doing this since Saturday, with two episodes (Monday and last night) that actually got me excited.

Let's just say I am NOT a happy mama right now.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#3 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 02:25 PM

I had them for almost a month last time...
Began at 37 weeks, and I only went into labour at 41 weeks.

This time a milder form of them (not everyday and not that painful) has already started (I am 33.5 weeks)

It sucks. Specially when everybody keeps saying "Oh, these are just Braxton and don't hurt like the real thing" EXCUSE ME - I know what real contractions hurt like by now! :
#4 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Ashely & Quindi! Sorry that you are going through it to. It's such a bummer to get your hopes up then... Nada.

Update: I think I just lost my mucous plug! Maybe things are coming along. I was actually surprised by how big it was (gross, I know), and it was tinged with a tiny bit of blood.

What really surprised me was the color. For those who lost your plug recently or in previous pregnancies, what color was it? I remember with my first it was much more whitish, clearish, with blood, this time around it was a bit green (sorry if TMI).
#5 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 02:32 PM

I never lost my plug beforehand, so I can't help you there, but it does sound like something is happening!!:
#6 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM

Fizzling contractions = cruel joke in my book

I've had this happen twice in the last week. Now at night the "BH" contrax are much more pronounced, regular and all around my back and belly. But they go away. So ... feh.

My plug is still intact, too. Last time it was clear/white with pink tinges. It came out in bits not all at once. This time ... well, I'm looking for it every time I pee. Heh.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#7 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I haven't experienced it (yet), but my friend had prodromal labor from 36 weeks until she got induced (she asked for it) at 40w5d with her second baby. She hadn't had this issue with the first one at all. Sometimes, the prodromal labor would really act like the real thing - like she and I both thought for SURE this was it, because they were getting stronger and closer together. Then BAM. They'd fizzle out suddenly. :

When she did get induced, it took just a very tiny amount of pit to get her going (she was able to go pain drug free), and her labor was quick.

One thing to note is that her baby was in a bit of a funky position, so that may be why she had the prodromal labor.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#8 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePisces View Post
Thanks Ashely & Quindi! Sorry that you are going through it to. It's such a bummer to get your hopes up then... Nada.

Update: I think I just lost my mucous plug! Maybe things are coming along. I was actually surprised by how big it was (gross, I know), and it was tinged with a tiny bit of blood.

What really surprised me was the color. For those who lost your plug recently or in previous pregnancies, what color was it? I remember with my first it was much more whitish, clearish, with blood, this time around it was a bit green (sorry if TMI).

OK, no fair de-lurking and then hopping to the front of the line!!!!

Losing your mp sounds promising! I'm going to say you'll have the baby soon--that's my professional opinion I've never seen my mp, so have no idea on appearance.
With my first baby, I didn't have any pain with BH until I was 39 weeks exactly. I had some painful ones around breakfast time and was sure they were the real deal. Then went for a walk to "test" them, and they fizzled. Didn't come back all day. Had a huge dinner, went to bed, water broke that night around 1am, baby was born before 7am.

So I've been having kind of painful ones this time for the past 2-3 days but so far...nada.

Keep us posted, please!
ETA: just noticed we have the same due date!

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#9 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks again for all of your replies!

Sonuptosondown - I had the same experience with my first. Didn't feel anything at all until the day before I delivered. Went into labor that night, and delivered the next afternoon. I did lose my mp, but never felt a single BH the entire time until the "real deal". I guess that is why I am getting my hopes up a little this time around .

Either way, I'll keep you posted. Who knows, I may be waiting around a couple more weeks ( I just hope not, LOL!).
#10 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 06:36 PM

This has happened to me with this pregnancy and with all of them, actually. I'm sorry I don't have anything encouraging to say, except regardless I'm sure you'll have a baby soon I went through this Tues morning, I was timing contractions for 1.5 hrs and they were painful, then nothing.

Now, the mucous plug - that is promising. I had that one evening, then bloody show the next AM, then baby late that day. However, that was one baby...never had it with the other 3 until I was in active labor It was a nice warning!

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#11 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 06:43 PM

I can't tell you definitively, BUT that is exactly what happened to me with my second. I started having regular contractions around 2 in the afternoon, that got gradual more intense and closer together. Being my second baby, I was sure that this was *it* because it was exactly how it had progressed the first time. At around 4 am, I went into the bedroom to tell my husband I thought that we would leave for the birth center in about an hour, and I went to lay down on the couch and try to focus through the now quite intense contractions. Next thng I know, it's 7 am...not a contraction to be seen- no contractions seen on the monitor the next day.....but the next day my water broke. I showed up to thebirth ceter at about 2-3 cm- so propbably, all of those contractions didn't even do anything to dialate me...but once I started having contractions, it was less than 2 hours before my daughter was born
my theory is that even though I was't very dialated, those contractions from the night before wre pat of my real labor- I had been so focused on not having a REALLY long labor like with my first, that I think my body wanted to break it up over a couple of days
Hope that's the case for you, if it is what you are hoping for
#12 of 12 Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 PM

Yeah, if it were just the ctx, I'd say it could go on for weeks or could be today--could go either way. But the ctx plus the plug...that sounds very promising to me...

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page