Note to self - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2009, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I really need to keep my promise to myself not to share the names we are thinking of with people!! I broke it when a lady at water aerobics asked me what we were thinking of and each one she said, "Oh, that would be *hard*" And it's not like the names we are thinking of are that strange. Sheesh. It was a good reminder of why I don't talk to anyone but DH and my sister about names.

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyakanyasko View Post
I really need to keep my promise to myself not to share the names we are thinking of with people!! I broke it when a lady at water aerobics asked me what we were thinking of and each one she said, "Oh, that would be *hard*" And it's not like the names we are thinking of are that strange. Sheesh. It was a good reminder of why I don't talk to anyone but DH and my sister about names.
That sucks I've been getting the opposite reaction of 'Why didn't you pick an interesting name instead of a boring one?'

'Hmm because that's the one dh & I chose.' I think some ppl get a hit with the idiot stick just by being in the presence of a pregnant woman

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
Old 05-21-2009, 06:28 PM

But you can tell *us*

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I hear you! The last time we had an *excessively* unusual name picked out... the comment I got from everyone was "that's a poodle's name". We decided that a dream I had with her name was going to be her name instead, but now her nickname is "poodle". LOL (BTW that name was Quintessa, since she was #5 and we called her "Q" through the whole pregnancy...that's a Star Trek thing we do.)

This time we picked a name that was very standard, though not in use much anymore. It's after my dad, but even he doesn't think we'll use the name since we "changed our minds at the last minute before"... well, no we didn't, we didn't want to hear flack from everyone about it. Ugh. I can't win!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:02 PM

We have a pretty classic name picked out, but are telling people something totally ridiculous. First it was Aethelthryth Brunhilde, but my MIL has now suggested Shulamith Ermentrude. Anyways, enough people actually believe that we're naming our kid Aethelthryth that it cracks me up, and oddly enough I haven't even gotten that many bad comments about Aethelthryth.

A few people I'm really close to (and my IF board) know her real name. We'll announce when she's born.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 PM

Who would ever say something negative about the name someone has chosen? I mean, unless it was a series of numbers or something then I could see saying "how unusual" but really.... people STUN ME with how ballsy they are!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
Old 05-21-2009, 09:34 PM

How rude!

We haven't told anyone our name possibilities either. It's driving family crazy. I just told them "Don't worry, you won't like whatever we pick anyway so just prepare yourself!"

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
Old 05-21-2009, 09:49 PM

I've been pleasantly surprised this time around. Everybody we've told has been very positive about his name. Much better reactions than those we had to our DD's name.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

Old 05-21-2009, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
We have a pretty classic name picked out, but are telling people something totally ridiculous. First it was Aethelthryth Brunhilde, but my MIL has now suggested Shulamith Ermentrude. Anyways, enough people actually believe that we're naming our kid Aethelthryth that it cracks me up, and oddly enough I haven't even gotten that many bad comments about Aethelthryth.
That's the funniest thing I've ever heard. :

:yawning 33yo first-time solo mama to DD born 11/21/09
Old 05-21-2009, 11:35 PM

I would comment negatively on a name a close friend is considering, but only while they're considering it. I figure if I'm close enough to the person where we're honest in general, I'll let them know if something's a bad name. But I won't be a jerk about it, and I won't do it to a less than close friend.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 05-22-2009, 03:35 PM

People are so rude sometimes! I know my step-mother is going to make a face about whatever name we chose. They didn't like Gabriel! I figured it wasn't weird so no one would argue with us on it. She made a face when we told her his name, and then refused to call him anything but Gabe. Now that's all he goes by, but when he was a baby everyone else called him Gabriel.

We decided not to tell anyone the names were thinking of this time, and it has really taken the pressure off. We can change our minds a million times and not hear about from family.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
Old 05-22-2009, 05:14 PM

We share our names freely with everyone....just cause we like to see reactions...our names tend to be not very typical so it can be amusing to hear reactions but for some reason we aren't too bothered by it. We kind of take an average in our minds, expecting some people not to like them and some people to love them.

Though this time are name choices are much safer (still not common) so less fun in that sense...

That said, unless it was a really really close friend, I wouldn't say anything negative about a name possibility to someone.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:21 AM

That's why I haven't shared the name we have picked with anyone this time around. I hated getting the rude comments the first and second time.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
Old 05-23-2009, 01:59 PM

People are wierd with their opinions. They think they matter

Dp got a few comments about Xavier, along the lines of "oh, don't use that. It would be too hard." (too hard to spell? pronounce? I dunno). The funny thing is, that it's more popular a name than I was originally going for.

When I tell people the names we have picked out, they usually say that they're all nice names.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

User Tag List