Baby engaged/dropped - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, it's been almost 7 yrs since I've done this labor thingy LOL. This is baby #3.

My midwife said today that the baby has dropped and is engaged deep in my pelvis. She did go ahead and check me since I have had some slight bloodly show. My cervix is soft, I'm not dialated though and baby is at -1.

What does this all mean? I didn't get to really chat long, she had to run for a delivery.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#2 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 09:15 PM

honestly? it means not all that much. i mean, it sounds like your body and baby are making the changes to prepare for labor, but none of that is an accurate predictor of when labor will happen/how close you are to having the baby. i'm 37 weeks, walking around at 3cm and 50% effaced (self checked) and have been losing my plug for over a week. i still am clueless as to when labor will happen; it could happen tonight, could be 5 weeks from now you could go into labor in a week even if you're not dilated a bit. it's so variable!
#3 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 PM

To me, it's a lot. My babies don't drop or engage before labour - it's never happened!

It's just another step on the way...probably indicative that you're getting close, but no guarantee. Everybody's different. You may be one of those women who walk around like this for a month...

My baby's not engaged. Actually, my baby's transverse...

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#4 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 PM

In my first birth, that check sent me directly into labor I had a tiny bit of bloody show and mentioned it to my MW that evening at a regular appt. She checked me for the first and only time, and I was in full blown labor 2 hours later.
#5 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 09:37 PM - Thread Starter

Wow interesting! I'm a 3rd time mom, so I'm not sure if it's common to have her engaged already?

I don't recall dropping this early before (my others were 38w and 36w but the 36weeker was an induction) and I honestly don't feel labor will happen real soon, though my Brax Hicks are much stronger but def not regular.

It did make me feel like whoa---she really is coming sometime soon!! (as in the next month LOL) Kind of like a wake-up call...get the carseat installed kind of thing.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#6 of 7 Old 05-21-2009, 10:32 PM

Both my dd and surroson dropped about 3.5 weeks before they were born. This baby dropped a week ago so I guess we'll see if she follows suit. Baby dropping and dialating at this point really means nothing except that your body is getting ready for birthing...but it could be tonight or in another month!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#7 of 7 Old 05-22-2009, 01:00 AM

The only thing it means to me is I can eat again and I have even more pain in my pelvis. Other then that, nothing. I am only 34 weeks and he has been very low and engaged since last week. I am not dilated but OB felt the baby's head very low. I doubt I will have labor that requires my c-section any earlier then my scheduled date, but I can only wish right?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page