Cervix- self checks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-21-2009, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am used to checking my cervix when not pregnant, but tonight I checked while in the shower. I've tried a few times in the past several weeks just out of curiosity but have been unable to reach it- so high!! But tonight I was able to feel just the very tip/lips of the cervix. It felt very soft and loose, kind of like pouty lips

Is it typical for the cervix to be so high during pregnancy? I can usually reach it when not pregnant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2009, 10:40 PM

it is normal for the cervix to be high during pregnancy, particularly the end of pregnancy, as effacement (the thinning and shortening of the cervix) is going on. also, the cervix tends to be rather posterior (facing your tailbone) before the onset of labor. once it begins to dilate it moves forward. i can normally reach mine easily until about 25 weeks or so, and then it seems as though it almost disappears! as of late if i really struggle (i have short fingers) i can reach it, but i have to be at a certain angle to do so.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:27 PM

Yep, mine is always really high during pregnancy, too. In the last few weeks it has finely moved forward enough for me to just barely feel it. And it is very soft and squishy like you said.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 05-22-2009, 12:40 AM

Ditto.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My first baby, my first miscarriage and this baby by the time I was 6 weeks I could not reach my cervix. But!! : about 4 or 5 days ago... I got it. Soft and squishy. I know it says nothing about labor but any change is a step in the right direction, I say.

What pregnancy does to my head: dizzy.gif
What new babies do for my heart:   treehugger.gif

Old 05-22-2009, 12:18 PM

Ya know, i thought maybe it was cuz i was getting bigger and could just no reach it. I totally felt it around week 30. It seemed very soft. Now, I can not reach it. I can hardly get the edge of it. It is facing forward, but very high. So that indicates effacement? I did not know that.

With my last child, I felt it a few days before I had her and was 3-4cm and could feel her head! Very cool. It also freakedme out!

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
Old 05-22-2009, 03:05 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I can't feel mine in or out of pregnancy, but even the midwife had a hard time reaching mine an hour before my baby was born last time. But yes, it's supposed to be higher up during pregnancy.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
Old 05-22-2009, 09:28 PM

My dr. could barely reach mine this morning at my appt. I yelled--it hurt. So I'm not even going to try to reach it myself--if she couldn't, I'm sure I can't and I don't want my dh doing it.

But non-pg I can reach mine fine. So I came away from that appt pretty discouraged Don't know if I should be or not, though.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post
My dr. could barely reach mine this morning at my appt. I yelled--it hurt. So I'm not even going to try to reach it myself--if she couldn't, I'm sure I can't and I don't want my dh doing it.

But non-pg I can reach mine fine. So I came away from that appt pretty discouraged Don't know if I should be or not, though.
Don't be discouraged! We all know that these checks really mean next to nothing. I was just curious, is all. I never even tried to check my cervix last pregnancy- so I was wondering what was typical for late pregnancy. I didn't try again tonight, why bother? Maybe in 5 weeks when I'm over my EDD I'll be more frantic about it

User Tag List