anyone expressing colostrum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-21-2009, 10:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I heard that this is sometimes recommended for GD mothers. With my 2nd, I decided to do it, as my first had been low birth weight and we only just avoided the need to supplement, my recollection is that I found it quite easy to get an ounce or so and I did that a few times and froze it.

This time is a planned c-section and at 37 weeks, so I think there is a not insignificant chance of feeding difficulties or NICU admission, so I'm doing it again. My first attempt today yielded about 20ml and it was quite hard work, I'm wondering if it's being a little earlier in my pregnancy than when I tried last time and also it being longer since I last breastfed.

I asked my doctor about doing this and how I should store it and she said to freeze it in bags, she didn't seem too surprised that I'm doing this, so I'm hoping I get a similarly good reaction from the nurses when I present them with my cooler of frozen colostrum!

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annekh23 View Post
I heard that this is sometimes recommended for GD mothers. With my 2nd, I decided to do it, as my first had been low birth weight and we only just avoided the need to supplement, my recollection is that I found it quite easy to get an ounce or so and I did that a few times and froze it.

This time is a planned c-section and at 37 weeks, so I think there is a not insignificant chance of feeding difficulties or NICU admission, so I'm doing it again. My first attempt today yielded about 20ml and it was quite hard work, I'm wondering if it's being a little earlier in my pregnancy than when I tried last time and also it being longer since I last breastfed.

I asked my doctor about doing this and how I should store it and she said to freeze it in bags, she didn't seem too surprised that I'm doing this, so I'm hoping I get a similarly good reaction from the nurses when I present them with my cooler of frozen colostrum!
i have a hard time expressing anything by hand! good for you with the colostrum. our hospital won't accept milk in bags- said it's against DHEC regs. so you might want to call andfind out their policy. if they're the same, bring it and ask them to give you some bottles to transfer it into.

best of luck!!

pak/typos

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#3 of 9 Old 05-22-2009, 02:44 PM

I was kind of wondering about this too. I've been making it for weeks now. I'm not sure how much is there really. I'm not looking a an early baby or anything I was just thinking I've got it why not store it? I'm a little worried that it would bring on contractions/labor though. A couple of times a day I do squeeze a little out just to get rid of some of the soreness.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#4 of 9 Old 05-22-2009, 03:17 PM

I have been pumping for 20 minutes every few days (using my Medela Freestyle) for the last few weeks now and have about 6 oz of colostrum saved up. I put the pumped colostrum in an ice cube tray to freeze, then put the frozen cubes into baggies. Each cube ends up being about .5 oz.

Unless you are at high risk of preterm labor, a short pumping session will not be enough to cause full blown labor. You may have some stron BH and/or contractions, though. I notice some while I'm pumping and maybe a few after but once I stop pumping they go away. It usually takes a LOT of continued nipple stimulation to actually bring on labor, and that's when you're already on the verge of going into labor/in early labor and need a little push.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#5 of 9 Old 05-22-2009, 03:50 PM

I went to Kellymom.com and just read that. So, I ran downstairs and pulled up my pump to start cleaning it up. Might as well store what's there. I thought that might be all a bunch of bunk considering women breastfeed while pregnant all the time.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#6 of 9 Old 05-22-2009, 04:43 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I'm amazed at you ladies that are able to pump colostrum!!! My baby was in the NICU, and I could only get a couple DROPS of colostrum into a bottle. They used it though! My milk didn't come in until day 5, and it came in really well. I just couldn't pump the colostrum well. Weird.

Anyway... if you are planning to use it in the hospital, I'd recommend calling up the NICU and asking them to give you some bottles to pump into. They are sterile bottles, and they fit on a Medela pump. Freeze those and they'll likely be willing to give them to the baby if necessary.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#7 of 9 Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
I'm amazed at you ladies that are able to pump colostrum!!! My baby was in the NICU, and I could only get a couple DROPS of colostrum into a bottle. They used it though! My milk didn't come in until day 5, and it came in really well. I just couldn't pump the colostrum well. Weird.
I had to do plenty of breast massage first. When I expressed colostrum after my first was born, I was able to do skin to skin with him before hand expressing into a cup, which seemed to really help.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#8 of 9 Old 05-23-2009, 09:50 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
That probably would have helped a lot. I wasn't able to hold my baby but once very briefly (wrapped in his blanket) the next day, and really didn't get to hold him much at all until after my milk had come in. I know for pumping in general, I always pumped more right after holding him. I just had an archaic NICU that didn't do kangaroo care and they severely limited baby holding time even on my almost 4 lb baby.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#9 of 9 Old 05-24-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
That's the weird thing...right after my surro son was born I couldn't get anything out with the pump, yet I had been able to pump about 10 oz of colostrum between 36w and 41w (when he was born.) I tried pumping every two hours the first day he was born (birth was mid day) and got nothing so I nursed him until the third day when my milk starting coming in and I could pump. This time I'm going to breastfeed from the beginning until my milk starts coming in. I just want to have a little colostrum saved for back-up after I leave my IPs house unitl I'm able to pump enough to cover my surro daughter's feedings. We're really hoping that she won't have to get formula.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page