Wow. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So last night I went to a breastfeeding class, and afterwards, the lady I was sitting by asked, "So you're due June 17th?" I said, "Yup, sure am." It was clear she'd been thinking about this since the beginning of class when we went around the room and said our due dates, what gender we were having, etc. And she said, "Oh, wow. I'm due June 22nd and you are SO much BIGGER then me. It must be because you're having a girl."

I just kind of stared at her. I mean, what do you say to that? I patted my belly and was like, "Yeahhh..." then tried to gracefully exit the room.

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 02:17 PM

My midwife told me the other day that I'm bigger than one of her other clients (at a similar stage, as well) who was working on her 9th. I'm on #1.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#3 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 02:21 PM

I get the "you are bigger than.." all the friggin' time. My gracious response is "yup, I carry all out front, outside my body" Why people have the need to comment is beyond me. Wow is right!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#4 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 02:27 PM

Some people are just obssesed with size and due dates.
#5 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 02:48 PM

It's just something you can't compare. I met a woman that was much smaller than me at the midwifes on Wednesday. She was two days overdue! We all grow different sized babies in different shaped uterus. Not to mention we all weighed something different to begin with and put on our baby pounds differently.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#6 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 02:53 PM

Oh, I got "are you sure YOU are not having 8 babies?"

Come on now. REALLY?

At 6 months I got " you're only 6 months?! You are going to explode!"

I am really not that big. I am "normal" size, I would say. I think it just shocks people sometimes that a woman really does get a big 'ol belly when preggo. DUH!

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#7 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 03:08 PM

I don't understand the size obession either, and why people feel the need to comment on it! I am actually much smaller looking this time than I was with the last baby...but my fundal still measures exactly where it should be, so obviously every woman and even every pregnancy are going to "look" different.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#8 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 03:14 PM

I equate these comments to someone walking up to me and saying, "Gosh, you are soooo much taller than me" or "your boobs are so little!". Yes, we come in all shapes and sizes - even when we're pg. I agree that people become truly obsessed with comparing themselves to others and to the "average". Just wait until your baby is born and everyone asks you what "percentage" she is in for height and weight!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :
#9 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 03:15 PM

Personally, I don't understand why pregnant women are all offended when someone comments on their size. We're SUPPOSED to get big, we're SUPPOSED to have a giant belly.

I'm certain it's because our culture totally demonizes women having any body mass whatsoever, but it's messed up. We're pregnant. Be happy that you're big, it's a GOOD thing.

I'm really amused that I get "wow, you're big" comments. It took 2 years of infertility and miscarriage to get here, and I love that I look positively ginormous. I've been praying to get to this point for years.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#10 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 03:23 PM

I don't get offended by it...I absolutely love my big old round belly and I love my body during pregnancy. I just don't understand why people feel the need to comment on it as pertaining to size. Can't they just say "You look great!" But when you hear "you're huge" or "you're tiny" it doesn't necessaily feel like a good thing, y/k?

I was going through security at the Atlanta airport when I was around 30 weeks and one of the security checkers (younger guy, even) looked at me and told me that I looked absolutely beautiful pregnant. Made my whole day

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#11 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 04:07 PM

I am getting opposite comments..."you are so small!" Yeah, I carry my babies compact I guess...even though I have gained more weight this time around than last time. It is just going elsewhere on my body....

I am totally not offended but I do think that it isn't even necessary to comment on the size of someone's body! I love being told I look good or healthy...

It is true that pregnant belly size is pretty fascinating though. I feel like I am seeing pregnant women everywhere lately and they all look like they are the same size as me...it makes me wonder about the month of June and the number of babies born!
#12 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 04:37 PM

".it makes me wonder about the month of June and the number of babies born! "

I know there's a mini baby boom going on at DH's work. Most of the employees (95% male, it's a video game company) were stuck doing 80 hour weeks all last spring and summer. We conceived the first month DH was home a reasonable amount of time. One of his hold office mates' wife has the same due date as me. Another office mate's wife has a due date a few weeks after me, and I only know one other couple who could potentially get pregnant in this group. I'm sure a lot more of them have babies on the way this summer/fall. Ah, the ebb and flow of the video game world.

#13 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 04:38 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I get the "you're small" comments too. But hey, I'm 5'9", so I have plenty of torso for a baby to hide in. My babies are actually usually a little large for gestation too. Another part of it is probably the fact that my bust is larger than average, so that takes away from some of the obvious belly size.

Last pregnancy, I had two friends that were due 5 weeks ahead of me with their first kids. It was my second kid. My friends did IVF at the same time, so they were due the same day (they lived down the street from each other). One is really short, and the other was tall like me. Well, at 29 weeks, they had one of their baby showers. The short one looked like she would explode at any moment! She had a huge belly. She seriously looked 40 weeks already. The tall one barely had a belly at all. I was 24 weeks and had a bigger belly than she did. In the end, the short one with the huge belly ended up having a very small baby, and the tall one with barely a belly had a larger baby.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#14 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post
I don't get offended by it...I absolutely love my big old round belly and I love my body during pregnancy. I just don't understand why people feel the need to comment on it as pertaining to size. Can't they just say "You look great!" But when you hear "you're huge" or "you're tiny" it doesn't necessaily feel like a good thing, y/k?

I was going through security at the Atlanta airport when I was around 30 weeks and one of the security checkers (younger guy, even) looked at me and told me that I looked absolutely beautiful pregnant. Made my whole day
Totally this. I don't get the need to comment on the size since it's so irrelevant anyway and it just gets really old when I hear it over and over and over and over. I LOVE the "you look fabulous!" and "what a beautiful belly!"

Yesterday a woman actually came over and tapped my on the shoulder and said I looked radiant and wished me blessings for my birth. Now THAT is class!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#15 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 04:47 PM

I find it annoying. I also feel the way you do - how am I supposed to respond. The comments are just bizarre. I get them literally everywhere I go. Yeah, I'm huge...what can I say?
#16 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 05:09 PM

I agree that it is annoying, however there has to be a level of class associated with these comments. A women came over to me yesterday. She reeked of vodka, (at 11:00am) and said something horrible that I brushed off. Another woman complimented on my big beautiful belly. At the same store. Some people are just weird and don't really know how to socialize. I love my belly. It took us so long to get here. I am only going to have it for one more week exactly.

Shawna!! DH Kevin, DD Kaelen (12) DS Drew (10), Sam and Jocelyn 11 months and TTC!!
#17 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 08:34 PM

My favorite comment so far was "holy mackerel!" I like the shock value I have at the moment--I am sooo big--and like you all said, we're supposed to be I'm measuring 40 weeks because of extra fluid. So no comments are bothering me--EXCEPT for the one lady who said I needed to lay off the bonbons. A pox on her house.

And several ladies have taken one look and said "you're having a boy, right?" That's pretty cool.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#18 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post
My favorite comment so far was "holy mackerel!" I like the shock value I have at the moment--I am sooo big--and like you all said, we're supposed to be I'm measuring 40 weeks because of extra fluid. So no comments are bothering me--EXCEPT for the one lady who said I needed to lay off the bonbons. A pox on her house.

And several ladies have taken one look and said "you're having a boy, right?" That's pretty cool.
Amg I would have had to throw something at her head I think. Then again I'm feeling pretty anti-social atm.

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#19 of 32 Old 05-22-2009, 11:40 PM

Ugg how annoying...we are all at the end of our pregnancies, are are supposed to be "huge" or whatever. Annoying!!

In my own case, I'm carrying VERY compact, this is my 3rd, I carried the others very small (I'm short anyway) so it's no big deal to me but sometimes I get comments about how small I am,etc. I measure right on track (well, until yesterday, but my midwife said she's engaged/dropped.)

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#20 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 08:29 AM

Yeah, I think my biggest issue is not really knowing how to respond. "Thanks"? "You too"? I think people may want to work on the way they word things also, haha. "YOU'RE HUGE" might not be the best way to put it!
#21 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 10:40 AM

For the life of me, I've never been able to find bon bons. Where are these blasted bon bons???!!! I WANT to be eating bon bons!
#22 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray View Post
For the life of me, I've never been able to find bon bons. Where are these blasted bon bons???!!! I WANT to be eating bon bons!
That cracks me up! Because as a stay-at-home mommmy, whenever people say "Oh, you stay home" in a sarcastic way, I always say "Yep. I sit on the couch all day watching Oprah and eating bon bons."
#23 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

I'm truly not offended by the 'you are huge!' comments. I just really don't know what to say. And I feel like it's really rude. I feel good about myself pregnant and it's not like I want to cry when people make these totally obvious comments. But I have to wonder, did these people's mothers never teach them that they should watch what they say?

I also have to say, this woman seemed SO eager to tell me that I was bigger then her. She said it almost gleefully, ha ha. But hey, if it makes her feel better, then glad my humongous-ness helped somebody

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

#24 of 32 Old 05-23-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
That cracks me up! Because as a stay-at-home mommmy, whenever people say "Oh, you stay home" in a sarcastic way, I always say "Yep. I sit on the couch all day watching Oprah and eating bon bons."
Me too!

Hi. I'm DDC crashing from May, 'cause I might make it to June anyway.

I get "But you're so small! You're going to have a tiny baby!" That's the flip side. Fortunately I have a good comeback: "Yeah, well, I was smaller than this when my son was born at almost 10lbs." Eyebrows go up, suddenly they don't know what to say.
My sister is more forgiving than I (she's pregnant and more apt to get "large" comments) and says people are just filling air/ making small talk.

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#25 of 32 Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 PM

I am crashing from July.
I have a short torso and apparently, not much room inside because my belly has always stuck out a lot.
I get soooo tired of the usual: "Are you sure it is not twins" or "Wow, you are so huge" or "What are you doing walking around being about to pop?" I am 34 weeks, and have been having to hear such nonsense since 6 months.

What is it with people who think that pregnant women are fair game to rude comments?
#26 of 32 Old 05-25-2009, 04:58 PM

i am 35 weeks today, and probably about the same size that I was at 20 weeks. I get HUGE fast, then I just don't really grow. This has happened with my last 4 pgs.

Anyway, this weekend my in laws were here and my MIL kept commenting on how she couldn't believe I could still fit behind the wheel of a car and how I should be having no pain because I am so small. Ummm I am small because my whole pelvis is so wide open that the baby's head is in the freaking birth canal and the whole body fits in my pelvis. I hurt because he is so low and I am so small. uggg. Then she just looks at me and says "well, he should just come out then because he probably isn't growing". STFU.

Anyway, I am so not in the mood for anyone to say much of anything to me right now. Although, my girlfriend who keeps talking about my boobies makes me laugh. She didn't see me with my last 3 pgs. I lost about 60 lbs before I got pg with this baby so my boobs got tiny (for me) and now they still aren't huge, but I am a 36D and she thinks my boobs are gigantic. Heck, before I lost weight, not pg I was a 38 DDD lol.
#27 of 32 Old 05-25-2009, 05:46 PM

It's just as bad when you look tiny and don't care. I've gained 40lbs and all I hear is how tiny i am blahblahblah...
I'm 9 months and people are just realizing, shish.
#28 of 32 Old 05-25-2009, 05:51 PM

I personally was told I was the biggest pregnant woman a man on the board of a non profit group I was volunteering for had ever seen!! I'm 5'5 and 125 so I guess I just am short waisted or something? Ok I was huge, I admit it!
People are so funny, but when you are preggers and someone says something like that it's devastating. Someday you will laugh that a person could be so rude. Oy.
#29 of 32 Old 05-26-2009, 09:31 AM

Someone at a cookout told me that I looked like the baby was going to come out any minute. I looked "pleasantly surprised" and said, "oh, are you an OB? I didn't know you had knowledge of pregnant women! I might have a few questions if you'd answer them." I looked so genuine that he immediately turned red. I got away with it because he was just barely an aquaintance and I *honestly* could have made the mistake of thinking he really was an OB.

Lucy, slowly stealthily snarkerizing cookouts in NC

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#30 of 32 Old 05-26-2009, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
Someone at a cookout told me that I looked like the baby was going to come out any minute. I looked "pleasantly surprised" and said, "oh, are you an OB? I didn't know you had knowledge of pregnant women! I might have a few questions if you'd answer them." I looked so genuine that he immediately turned red. I got away with it because he was just barely an aquaintance and I *honestly* could have made the mistake of thinking he really was an OB.

Lucy, slowly stealthily snarkerizing cookouts in NC
Good reply, I like it!!

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page