To encourage or discourage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 08:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've been dealing with cramps and fake labor for the past week now, much to my extreme annoyance. At the very least every episode has progressed me along the labor path, or so it seems, judging from intensity and other symptoms. So, doing it again, right now, and having a debate with myself. Due to the happenings of the past day or so, I have reason to believe I'm "ready." So, would you:

a) do things (sex, walking, RRL tea) to encourage labor in the hopes that it will make things cross the threshold from fake to real?

or

b) do things to discourage labor (rest, calcium, lots and lots of water) so I'm not dealing with fake labor all night, working under the theory that I couldn't stop real labor if I wanted to.

I'm 37w4d, if it matters. I wouldn't be considering this if I didn't have 14 bajillion (way TMI) symptoms that labor was just around the corner.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#2 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 08:53 PM

You can do everything you want to encourage it, doesn't mean it will work. Unless your body is ready, nothing will work, so it wont hurt.

With that said, 37w4d ad being prepared is totally normal, however, you could still have a LONG way to go, so I hope you don't get too disappointed if it doesn't happen.

I will say, the day I hit 37 weeks, I will do what ever I can to not stop any contractions.
#3 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 08:56 PM

I've not experienced all the annoying false starts you have. That said, I don't want to encourage or discourage labor- that means I have to think about it! Thinking and obsessing will make me crazy and the stress might prevent things from happening easily when they are supposed to. So at the moment, and like last time, I'm just trying to be very zen about it and let my body do its own thing.

Of course, if I hit 42 weeks I'll probably be singing a different tune!
#4 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
I've not experienced all the annoying false starts you have. That said, I don't want to encourage or discourage labor- that means I have to think about it! Thinking and obsessing will make me crazy and the stress might prevent things from happening easily when they are supposed to. So at the moment, and like last time, I'm just trying to be very zen about it and let my body do its own thing.

Of course, if I hit 42 weeks I'll probably be singing a different tune!
This is similar to how I'm feeling, but I've had LOTS of crampy contractions (some of which have been steadily timeable and predictable and go on for over an hour), loss of mucous plug, the strange feeling of the onset of labor. But nothing real so far obviously. I have been going to acupuncture regularly to keep my blood pressure down, and when the therapist offered to throw some needles in to get things moving (but not inducing) I didn't decline. For the most part I'm trying to just do as Voltige and get zen about it and just take care of myself and try to be as consistently well rested as possible so that if labor does begin at any point I won't be short of sleep.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#5 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 09:54 PM

My "preparing for labor" symptoms have all been on-and-off. Contractions mostly at night, a bit of hot flashes, stuff like that. My big thing is this rash I'm dealing with. It's driving me crazy and I know from all my Googling that it'll go away within a week of delivering him. I can handle just about anything like soreness, the pubic pain, the sleeplessness, the peeing all the time, etc. But this itching is quite seriously driving me crazy. It's making me grumpy, cantankerous, short-tempered, etc. I just need this to be over. I'm 38w1d right now and I really just want to be done. But I know I've got a ways to go. I just have to get through these last few weeks. I tell you, though, if I get to 40 weeks, I'm definitely going to go with whatever my midwife suggests to bring labor on.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#6 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 PM

After my experience with my first I am squarely in the "discourage" camp. I had several days of very painful irregular contrax and didn't get good sleep so that I was so discouraged and worn out that I rushed to the hospital as soon as I was minimally dialated. This, of course, led to intervention after intervention and then cesarean. Very traumatic. Don't wear yourself out! Focus on other things! Surely there're more nesting type activities you can obsess over in the house or whatever, that aren't "is this labor" related.

Any irregular come and go contrax I have this time will be greeted with a glass of wine and bath, and whatever else I can do to get 'em stopped. My second birth I had no prodromal labor and it took my husband several hours and contrax 3 min apart to convince me that, yes, this was really it. Much better this way.

But that's just my experience anyway... I'd try very hard to focus on other things. My thoughts are with you, I know it's tough!
#7 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 10:56 PM

Just an fyi....resting can put you into labor too. Resting put me into labor with 2 of my babies.

I hope this all ends soon and you will be holding your baby girl!
#8 of 15 Old 05-22-2009, 11:42 PM

If it was early in the day, I would go the a route and if it was nighttime I would go b. I would rest if I could, so I wasn't tired later.

Do you know what position your baby is in? I had reallllly ridiculously bad prodromal labor with my second, who was posterior. Drove me crazy!

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#9 of 15 Old 05-23-2009, 12:41 AM

I had bad prodromal with my last starting at like 33 weeks. DD was posterior too.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#10 of 15 Old 05-23-2009, 02:18 AM

I'm doing everything I can to encourage, but nothing is working, so I figure baby is not ready. I'm 38 weeks. I've been having a lot of contractions though.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#11 of 15 Old 05-23-2009, 05:02 AM

Yeah...I am not sure we have much choice in the matter at this point! I am 37w5d and definitely have a few signs that my body is preparing myself but like PPs I am trying not to think about it too much...still walking a lot and staying active but also fitting in lots of nap time when I can. Hang in there!
#12 of 15 Old 05-23-2009, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahwg View Post
Yeah...I am not sure we have much choice in the matter at this point! I am 37w5d and definitely have a few signs that my body is preparing myself but like PPs I am trying not to think about it too much...still walking a lot and staying active but also fitting in lots of nap time when I can. Hang in there!
: exactly what I'm doing--I'm even the exact same 37w5d as you, Sarah!

Sunflower: It does seem like you're getting really worn out. What has your dr/mw said? I'm just worried you'll be overtired when true labor starts. Among the things you suggested, I would think castor oil would have the best chance of kickstarting the real thing quickly, but I wouldn't do it this early unless your bcp was aware.
I think I would choose the discourage route--wine, baths and walking or resting, whichever helps the ctx go away better for you. Then at least you could rest up a bit.
I'm sorry I have no personal experience with such a long, strong prelabor to share. :

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#13 of 15 Old 05-23-2009, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I say definitely rest as much as you can, but also check baby's position and see if you need to do something to help it along. I think prodromal labor is super common with babies that are in funky positions. Go to spinningbabies.com and see what exercises you might want to do to help baby into a better position. That might move things along.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#14 of 15 Old 05-23-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
I will say, the day I hit 37 weeks, I will do what ever I can to not stop any contractions.
That's what I was going to say. BUT if you are tired or worn out, I say do what you can to stop them, get nice and rested, and THEN go with walking/sex/whatever might get labor going.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#15 of 15 Old 05-23-2009, 01:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice.

Baby was in a bad position last week, but she's gotten her head back into my pelvis, down rather low, and has been anterior for weeks. So it's all good there.

Last time I talked to my midwife was after my first bout of prodromal labor and she gave me a list of things to do to discourage things. I'll be seeing her again on Monday.

Last night I had regular ctx for an hour or two and hten they petered out, and then one REALLY bad ctx (wow, those things hurt!), then another hour of really mild ones. I've discovered I can't sleep through even easy contractions. luckily this is my first kid and I'm not working, so I can rest whenever I want. Which...seems to bring on more ctx.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page