Would love to have my phones shut off!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My phones ring all day long. If I miss my home phone my cell phone rings immediately. Seriously, I am being stalked by my own family... If I have to hear one more time, "any pains?, How are the contractions? You are going to have them today.. I have heard this for the past 4 weeks.. UGH!!! One of you must have an extra room for rent?..

Shawna!! DH Kevin, DD Kaelen (12) DS Drew (10), Sam and Jocelyn 11 months and TTC!!
#2 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 09:23 AM

Are you answering the phones? That sucks, because of the 10 phone calls, you probably actually need just one of those! What if you worked out something with your partner so that you could either unplug or turn off the phones, and if he needed to reach you, just turn it on from like 2-3pm? Then just don't call anyone else back! Or record a special phone message that you are still pregnant and you will let people know in due time, no pun intended.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#3 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 09:26 AM

I conveniently lost my phone 2 weeks ago, and have no desire to find it.

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
#4 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 10:04 AM

Seriously, I would change your message to say something like "no baby yet - will call YOU when something changes" and just let the voicemail pick it up! I've known of cases where lots of women say they're due a lot later then they actually are to avoid all this - I can't imagine with twins though. You're probably getting a double dose! haha!

Hugs mama!

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#5 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 10:20 AM

thats such a pain! We actually told people my due date was 1 week later than it really is - to try and avoid this! I can only imagine how much worse it is for you with twins (cuz they are all born at like 30 weeks - right?! grrr).

Hang in there and go do something nice for yourself today!
#6 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug View Post
thats such a pain! We actually told people my due date was 1 week later than it really is - to try and avoid this!
I told people two weeks later for the same reasons...
but I see by your signature that you already have a scheduled birthdate... maybe you should tell them that and then to never ask you the question ever again. Alternately, don't answer the phone until next Tuesday just to really screw with them.

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#7 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 08:01 PM

Yikes! I'm sorry you are dealing with that!
Our phone actually did shut off (something was hit by lightening) and I must say it was pretty nice. I hardly ever leave my cell phone on or answer it if it is on (unless it is my husband or my mom 'cause she isn't like that), but my husband is one of those "must have my cell phone with me at all times and answer it no matter what" kinds of people. The calls just went through my husband for a few days there. Very nice. Actually I think we'll keep doing that, haha.
#8 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 08:10 PM

I haven't really had to deal with that w/ my family, but my DH is starting to work my nerves! Every time I call him, "are you in labor?" Every time we're together and I stop, sigh, rub my belly, space out for a minute (i.e. the things I'm constantly doing!) has him thinking that IT has Started. Dude, chill! When I feel something interesting, I will let you know ASAP!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#9 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 08:11 PM

We got rid of our land line years ago and I keep "forgetting" my cell in the car

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#10 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 09:05 PM

Put a message on your phone that says something like:

"Hi everyone, we're very glad you care so much about what's going on with the twins. We promise we'll update this machine with news as soon as anything happens. Right now there is nothing to report. Please don't call my cell unless there's a family emergency as I'm doing my best to get some rest before the big event."

Then turn the ringer off.

Same with your cell. Turn the ringer off.

People have no idea how annoying they can be b/c they don't realize that for every time they call, somebody else is calling too.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#11 of 15 Old 05-26-2009, 11:22 PM

Yeah, my MIL told me yesterday that I "need" to give her my cell number so she can call for updates. Oh that's not happening. This is the same reason that I didn't call my dad yesterday and wish him a happy birthday. He was bugging me about having the baby already on Mother's Day. I'm not due until the 18th. Just because I'm term on Thursday doesn't mean I want to be reminded of that fact every single day.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#12 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
Put a message on your phone that says something like:

"Hi everyone, we're very glad you care so much about what's going on with the twins. We promise we'll update this machine with news as soon as anything happens. Right now there is nothing to report. Please don't call my cell unless there's a family emergency as I'm doing my best to get some rest before the big event."

Then turn the ringer off.

Same with your cell. Turn the ringer off.

People have no idea how annoying they can be b/c they don't realize that for every time they call, somebody else is calling too.
Or the next time someone calls and asks tell them "Oh, crap! They were born last week and I totally forgot to tell you!" Or start calling these people at random times during the day and night just to tell them that you're not in labor. Think they'd realize how annoying it is that they keep calling?

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#13 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 04:26 AM

I think that'd be hilarious!

I'm getting annoyed at my MIL because I had to let her know that there were some symptoms happening but nothing substantial. And now she's called me 3 times today, skyped me 3 times for updates, and .... BAH! Stop it, already!

I had to fill her in b/c she's my back up ride to the hospital and my child care for my DD if I go into labor while my DH is at work (we only have the 1 car).

I'm not telling anyone else anything!

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#14 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Why didn't I think of all of these ideas before? Now we are trying to deal with a visiting schedule. I know that this sounds horrible but I am actually looking forward to the post c-section drugs. Then I really could careless who is there..:

Shawna!! DH Kevin, DD Kaelen (12) DS Drew (10), Sam and Jocelyn 11 months and TTC!!
#15 of 15 Old 05-27-2009, 02:55 PM

I LOVE that idea about calling randomly and incessantly just to say you're NOT in labor! THAT is BRILLIANT!!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page