How do you WANT/VISUALIZE your labor going? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-30-2009, 05:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For you mamas who have already given birth, I would love to hear your hindsight perspective, as well.

But the question is just that, with birth 'looming,' what do you see/plan/want to happen? Do you have very specific predictions? Know what positions you plan to use?

What are the things that are important to your birth experience? I don't mean necessarily medically/intervention-wise, I mean more of your personal plans and expectations of your pain management and actions or feelings.

Hope that makes sense, and I want to hear all about it!
#2 of 5 Old 05-31-2009, 09:17 PM

I have actually spent a lot of time visualizing how my labor will go. I think it helps tremendously! This will be my third birth at a free standing birth center with a midwife. After my first birth, I wanted to have a water birth the next time (I got out of the tub right when I started pushing) and I wanted to have single peaked contractions. I had so many double and triple peaked contractions with my first labor (and not just in transition) and I found them so difficult to get through. I even painted a picture before my second birth of a big single peaked contraction that looked like a big rainbow with me underneath it with nice soft colors. And what do you know- I didn't have a single double or triple peaked contraction the entire labor! The "painting" is now in my son's baby book. And I had my water birth.

This time around, I am visualizing another water birth and am focusing my energy on not tearing this time (or minimally tearing). I am thinking about pushing on hands and knees. I want to push more slowly when she crowns rather than with all my mite like last time. The midwife thinks I tore when my son's shoulders popped out. I just wanted him out at that point!

I am anticipating a wonderful and "uneventful" birth where everything goes as planned! I believe in the power of positive thinking.

Amy, wife to Kevin, homeschooling mommy to Chase '99, Aidan '03, and Carabelle 6/16/09 :
#3 of 5 Old 06-01-2009, 09:56 AM

I like looking at our upcoming birthday as just another day, integrated into our lives, just like AF doesn't stop the world, birth shouldn't either, and the transistion should be as smooth and fluid as possible, not an end and begining, but a transistion that is just as vital as the before and after.

I've been visualizing a painfree/orgasmic birth this time. The first I wasn't nearly as knowledgable as I am now. The ultimate plan is to birth as close to completely naturally as possible. We are planning a UC, but are keeping all options open as possibilities. I don't know what labor will bring this time so we have the default UC plan, but we have also very flexably planned every next step that may need to be taken, and how we will try to maintain our atmosphere of birth. We have tried to prepare for almost everything in our laidback fluid way, but I won't have hospital bags packed or such.

Our whole goal is to listen to my body and gut and try our best to accomidate what my body may want or need to get this baby out and work with it, in relity I can use this plan no matter where I birth(especially since if I do go into the hospital I plan to barricade myself alone in the room with DH, lol) However my hot tub is a big part of my dreams, as well as not tearing.

I am feeling strong urges to get a little more birth art done in preparation, especially with pastels, since so far all I've really touched into is clay.

One sculpture turned into the labia/vaginal just opening up. It is the perfect shape for me to slide my thumb back and forth smoothly within, and fits perfect in either hand. Another one is of a woman on her knees holding down under her belly. Each one just started as a clump and came out like that. The first one I did however was a cross between the two that never got finished, just remoistened and put back in the clay jar, but it was turning into just the spread bent legs, with the thumb gliding part right btween them.

At this point I think I need to stop feeling so much and try to pul out the images I have, since only sensations may become very overwhelming during labor. Also I haven't been able to fire my clay yet so if I end up laboring in the tub I'm afraid they wouldn't carry their full created vibe because I won't be able to hold them(turn to mush). So I need a few focal points to put up in my birthing area that are more visual.

Sorry went a little off track there. But it's nice to write about my art and give it words.
#4 of 5 Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

How cool with the art! I admit, art therapy is what I plan on doing as a career, and it honestly never occurred to me to try it to prepare for birth. Crafting therapy, though, I have done MORE than my fair share of! Would you post pics of your work? And are you going to try to get them fired before the birth?

aestesfl - I am heartened by your positive visualization story; hearing your measure of control over the contraction pattern makes me hopeful. Thank you for sharing your stories!!
#5 of 5 Old 06-01-2009, 03:33 PM

I was hoping to have them fired in our wood stove, but it has been so warm lately we ahven't had it going except yesterday and I forgot. It's chilly today so maybe tonight I'll fire them. I have pics of the first before I smashed it(Which in itself felt good and releasing being able to let it go back in to be reformed) Maybe with some free time I'll put them up if the pictures turn out at all. But that does mean I have to finish the kneeling one. I'm a horrid for not finishing things because I want them just right so I keep putting it aside to work on it. However I'm thinking early labor is knocking right now and I need to tie things off to let it flow forward this early, otherwise my body might just hold on to this baby even though my mind is telling it to let him out.

There I go overthinking again......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page