Projects for early labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anybody have a project planned for early labor? I've heard to do something like make cookies to take your mind off of things until you can't concentrate anymore... especially with your first one since it can be a longer labor.
I've thought of sweeping my huge patio and watering the plants. Dh likes that plan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2009, 10:20 PM

I'm planning on weeding or digging up dandelions, something that gets me playing outside in the dirt.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
Old 05-30-2009, 10:26 PM

Running to the hospital, begging for drugs and to get this kid out. HAHA.

Seriously though, with my first son I cleaned and cleaned and ATE. I had to force myself to eat and even when I got to the birth center, they wanted me to eat more. It was hard to do, but I needed it. It was a really long labor and without that energy, I am sure I would have never been able to do it.

My second child I went to lunch, to the movies and then to the birth center. I wasn't in labor, but my water had broken. I eventually had to be induced. I probably should have walked more, even though I walked for hours at the birth center.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 PM

Haha, I won't have to come up with a special project. With a 2 and a 4 yr old around, our house is always one giant mess, not fit to be seen. As soon as I figure out I'm in labor it will be a mad dash to get the dishes done, sticky stuff off the floor, toys off every surface, etc. etc. before it gets too intense for me to do that stuff-since a homebirth means company's coming. I'll probably try to do stuff that entails me walking up and down our 3 flights of stairs, and take them 2-3 at a time. That lunging action is supposed to be good for opening the pelvis.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:12 PM

It depends what time labour starts. First I'm going to try to sleep if possible, and make sure to eat. Then I thought I'd either work in the garden a little, or maybe bake muffins. I also want to get to the book store and buy a couple really good books, as I tend to be able to zone out totally when I'm reading something that grabs me.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

Old 05-31-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegemamaVA View Post
Haha, I won't have to come up with a special project. With a 2 and a 4 yr old around, our house is always one giant mess, not fit to be seen. As soon as I figure out I'm in labor it will be a mad dash to get the dishes done, sticky stuff off the floor, toys off every surface, etc. etc. before it gets too intense for me to do that stuff-since a homebirth means company's coming. I'll probably try to do stuff that entails me walking up and down our 3 flights of stairs, and take them 2-3 at a time. That lunging action is supposed to be good for opening the pelvis.
Good to know I am not the only one!!
I keep looking around the house thinking that I won't go into labor unless I tidy up first. (tidy is probably not the right word, my house is really messy!)

But of course, even when I pick up some of the mess, the kids redistribute it. I better have enough time to do a lot of picking up, toys, laundry, dishes, etc... it is weird to think we are having company right at that moment.

Andee (edd June 3)
Old 05-31-2009, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The only thing I have left to do is finish the baby blanket I've benn working on. At this rate it will be done before labor come. I can always pick up one of my current sewing projects... But at my current rate of cleaning and nesting, I will probably feel compelled to mop or something.

What pregnancy does to my head: dizzy.gif
What new babies do for my heart:   treehugger.gif

Old 05-31-2009, 02:37 AM

I have a quilt that I am almost done piecing, so will be in quilting stage by labor time. I actually got a lot of it done during my 'false' labor last weekend - (sewed 20 squares in those 6 hours or so!)

quilting is actually much easier probably than the sewing (not as much up and down to iron, etc) so hopefully its as distracting.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

Old 05-31-2009, 03:45 AM

I'm getting a new-to-me machine tomorrow so I might do some sort of sewing project!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
Old 05-31-2009, 05:32 AM

I plan to just play with the kids as much as possible - they're the best distraction for me.

If it's the middle of the night, I'll probably logon here! hehehe

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
Old 05-31-2009, 06:15 PM

I thought about making some cupcakes but now that sounds so messy (I'm an extremely messy baker!) and HOT. Something ALWAYS needs to be done around the house, so I guess I'll just take my pick!
Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 PM

I had no time for projects with my first- by the time I realized I was in labor we were headed to the birth center. I'm preparing for this one to happen just as quickly, but if not I'll find something to do
Old 05-31-2009, 06:53 PM

I'll be putting in some cinnamon sugar bread into the bread machine, so the house smells nice and yummy. It only takes 5 minutes but thats all I can think of right now. :P

Kim, wife to my best friend and high school sweetheart. :
Mom to DD1 (2/06) : and DD2 (6/09) :
Old 05-31-2009, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieHugger View Post
I'll be putting in some cinnamon sugar bread into the bread machine, so the house smells nice and yummy. It only takes 5 minutes but thats all I can think of right now. :P
Ooooh, recipe please?
Old 05-31-2009, 07:07 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I hadn't really thought about it, but I will probably bake. For some reeason, everytime I open my pantry or drive past the store I get the feeling I should buy more flour and maybe some chocolate chips. I have the most delicious recipe for chocolate chip cookies. It involves vanilla pudding.... ooooh it's heavenly. Not my most healthy recipe though! MMMMM now I'm craving them!!

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
Old 05-31-2009, 08:07 PM

I planned on making some of my favorite lentil soup in the crock pot, hopefully to enjoy after the baby comes. Maybe I'll knit... I don't know

dmariev - I just bought some chocolate chips to bake some cookies this week. I'd love your recipe!! Sounds delicious

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
Old 05-31-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaleigh37 View Post
dmariev - I just bought some chocolate chips to bake some cookies this week. I'd love your recipe!! Sounds delicious

Absolutely! Here you go!

2 1/4 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 c butter
1/4 c white sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
1 pkg Instant vanilla pudding (3.4 oz)
1 tsp vanilla
2 eggs
1/2 pkg choc chips

Cream butter, the sugars, pudding and vanilla.
Beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time.
Stir in flour and soda. Add chips.

375 degrees 15 - 20 min.

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
Old 05-31-2009, 10:37 PM

I've always wanted to go get a manicure and pedicure in early labor but it has never worked out. Maybe I'll be able to do it this time!

Amy, wife to Kevin, homeschooling mommy to Chase '99, Aidan '03, and Carabelle 6/16/09 :
Old 05-31-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Ooooh, recipe please?
Yes, please share!

Beth, Mama to my two nurslings, DD 2.22.07 and DS 6.20.09 Worn, Intact, CD, Unvaxed, Born at Home!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 AM

I'm really wanting some ideas for this........ we're not huge shoppers so going to a mall and walking doesn't sound like fun.....if it were a weekend we could do a farmers market..... otherwise we've discussed baking a cake from scratch for the baby we'll find something to keep me busy!!!

It being my first it could be awhile and keeping my mind off of anything going on will be helpful........

Randi
Old 06-01-2009, 12:33 AM

I have a baby sweater that I am knitting that I am planning on working on. It is a super simple pattern, so it shouldn't take a lot of effort Unless, of course, this baby decides to start things off with a bang and I don't want to knit Then I'll just have to finish it with her in the sling after she is born.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:28 AM

I was thinking of baking a cake from scratch "for the baby" , too. Of course, that cinnamon sugar bread machine recipe sounds yummy...please post it!

ETA: or else, I was thinking of organizing our photos and boxes of photos/negatives.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

Old 06-01-2009, 03:51 AM

With my first I baked a birthday cake, and frosted it, and then we took it to the hospital and shared with the nurses.

This time around, if labor is as slow, I might go the same route. But I will DEFINITELY be doing the house-cleaning thing, and probably directing DH to finish all sorts of last-minute tasks.

Drawing or crafting also sounds cool, and maybe planning a placenta print, which I would NEVER have even crossed my mind without these forums!

Gardening, too, just depending on what time of day it is and how much I get done before then.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:30 AM

I hadn't really thought much about it...but you have all shared great ideas! Last time my husband and I watched lots of movies together and I did some knitting but I like the idea of having a specific project....

I have several knitting projects in progress - it would be really cool to finish one up while in early labor. I marked this recipe for a groaning cake awhile ago and I love that idea too. I know there will be plenty of things to clean...

I also plan on trying to eat and sleep as much as possible as my labor was quite long last time and I did come close to running out of energy.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:08 AM

Yum ... now I think I'll be making cookies! I've been stocking the freezer and the only things left on my list that I haven't put up in there are muffins and cookie dough. This is #3 for me and my last labor was 3.5 hours in the hospital so I might not have time to bake, but I can get some dough done!

Sewin earthlovin : Mama to my 8 yr old, 6 yr old and lil' baby : born 6/11/09.
:
Old 06-01-2009, 09:15 AM

I'm another who will probably use the time to clean up after my messy DH and dd. The place is relatively clean (compared to usual) but the kitchen could definately use a clean up. That is what I did during my first labour (1 day of slow labour).

until then though, I'm enjoying the sun and resting when I can. 1 week to due date!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
Ooooh, recipe please?
http://www.recipezaar.com/Cinnamon-S...-Machine-90502

Quote:
Ingredients

* 1 cup milk
* 1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
* 1 egg
* 3 cups bread flour
* 1/2 cup sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon (I use at least 2 teaspoons)
* 2 teaspoons yeast
Bake on sweet bread setting if your machine has it. Otherwise use the white bread setting. Enjoy
It stays good for at least a week. DD loves it with PB and honey too.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I planned on making some of my favorite lentil soup in the crock pot, hopefully to enjoy after the baby comes. Maybe I'll knit... I don't know
Oooh I'd love this recipe! How great would it be to have dinner and dessert/breakfast all ready after the baby arrives.

Old 06-02-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
OH! Lentil soup?? I can't believe my eyes skipped that part!! I would love to see your recipe! I absolutely love lentil soup, but have never made it myself..
It would be good for the freezer I'm sure!

Old 06-03-2009, 04:17 PM

Morroccan Lentil Soup: http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008...ot-recipe.html

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)

User Tag List