the joys of pumping - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone up for this thread yet or are you mams luckier than I am? Of course, I'm sitting here pumping- working hard to give LO what she needs since she's still a little too little to nurse efficiently. I fought hard enough for her to not be on formula, so I should be grateful that I can pump.

If you're up for it, we can have a thread.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I pumped with DS. I had a lot of milk. It is wonderful that you are pumping for Lilah! Sending support!

SAHM (32)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 Married to a bearded hunk (28) 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, DS
 11/00, DD
 06/09, two
 in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle

is due 12/14
#3 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 07:29 PM

Getting bm will really help your LO. Sending lots of support and encouragement your way. And hang in there with nursing. My first took SIX MONTHS (I kid you not) to latch on and nurse on her own. I never used bottles, but had to use other "equipment" - namely a nipple shield the whole time. It is so worth it to work at nursing. She bfed for two years and is a super healthy 11 yo today!

Me : living with and loving papa and the kids: Dd1 8/97 , dd2 8/04 and my sweet baby ds 5/09 : :

#4 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 10:01 PM

You're amazing! I honestly don't know if I'd have it in me to pump so much!!! Keep up the good work!!!
#5 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 11:13 PM

I had my exposure to exclusive pumping last week and boy am I glad that Grace finally took the breast after her NICU stay. I've pumped a bit since I came home to relieve engorgement, but was trying to avoid it to help reduce that problem, now I've not pumped in 2 days and I'm wondering what to do for the future.

I had supply issues with my first, mostly because he had a weak suck, due to IUGR (though unlike Lilah, he made it to 37+4), I also had some issues with illnesses and accidents and not being able to feed him, so I pumped at least once a day with my 2nd, to convince my body it needed that extra few ounces, then threw it all away because DD never took a bottle!

However having that stash in the freezer did give me reassurance, so I think I probably will end up doing that, but I know this early milk still contains colostrum and by the time it is offered, the baby may well not like the taste, so I'm not sure whether I should start again in the next few days, or wait a couple of weeks.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#6 of 11 Old 05-31-2009, 11:36 PM

I was a milking machine.

I pumped exclusively for 3 months for 4 different pgs. i was doing it because the kids were with their parents and I wasn't there to nurse them, but i did the round the clock pumpings for months on end. It was hard, frustrating and many times I wanted to give up (and probably did give up sooner then the parents wanted), but it was just that important to me that the kids had the BM. So basically, I TOTALLY feel your pain as far as having to do it, but I know how worth it it is. I hope Lilah can get a great latch and that this will all be a thing of the past, but you wont regret doing it.
#7 of 11 Old 06-01-2009, 12:11 AM

I did almost exclusive pumping with my son. He and I just had a really hard time getting things down.

I broke out the pump today since my milk really came in. I was really full and Cyan was taking her own sweet time getting ready to nurse. I ended up just doing one breast and then she woke up and ate out of the other. I'm hoping that maybe I can have a nice stash so this fall when my mom's dog makes field dog finals I can take the day and go watch.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#8 of 11 Old 06-01-2009, 12:33 AM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I feel ya, mama! I EPed for my surro son for 6 months and I will do it again for this baby. It sucks and its hard work, but definitely worth it in the end. I hope little Lilah is able to transition to the breast full time soon and you can put your pumping days behind you. You're doing an amazing thing for your LO!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03, Amelia 12/13, and someone new coming 11/15, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 
#9 of 11 Old 06-01-2009, 01:39 AM

I'm still trying to decide on what kind of pump to get I had a pump in style backpack given to me but it's not even manufactured anymore & the parts are pretty pricey so I've been debating just buying a new one or renting from the hospital...or a hand pump.

I have no decision making skills anymore, too tired.

Best of luck pumping though mamas.

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#10 of 11 Old 06-01-2009, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlaC View Post
I'm still trying to decide on what kind of pump to get I had a pump in style backpack given to me but it's not even manufactured anymore & the parts are pretty pricey so I've been debating just buying a new one or renting from the hospital...or a hand pump.

I have no decision making skills anymore, too tired.

Best of luck pumping though mamas.
What parts is it missing? If it is just the pump, you will need the horns, valves and membranes, and tubing (plus collection bottles but any narrow top bottle fits.) If the tubing for yout PIS is the kind with no connectors on either end I've heard of people getting tubing from a pet supply store (used in aquariums.) All of it should be under $50, which will be less exensive than a new pump. Even though the PIS original is no longer made the rest of the parts are still available (all the other Medela pumps except the Freestyle still use the same horns, just the tubing is different.) Look on eBay and Craigslist...there are always a ton of PIS and parts for sale on those sites.

Even though I have a really great pump (Avent ISIS IQ Duo) for some reason lately I've been a bit obsessive about researching pumps. At least it gives me something to do until the baby gets here!

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03, Amelia 12/13, and someone new coming 11/15, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 
#11 of 11 Old 06-01-2009, 03:03 PM

If you are delivering in a hospital, ask them for a pump kit. MOST hospitals have them and will give them to you and bring in a pump in the hospital. I have the PIS backpack one and that is just what I do. Although, i just saw that Target is carrying all the parts. At least at the target I go to, and I am in a SMALL town.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page