ooOo I might have polyhydramnios! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I went to the midwife today for my 36w2day appointment and I am measuring at 44 weeks! She called in 2 others just to check her skills and they both put me at 44 weeks as well. After feeling around, she said I didn't have a 12-pound baby in there, but I possibly have polyhydramnios--too much amniotic fluid. I gained 5.5 pounds in just one week and my feet are ENORMOUS (you might have seen some of my other posts). My BP is 118/somethingorother, hemoglobin is good, and I don't have GD. They ruled out pre-e also.

She did not seem the least bit concerned and asked me if I would get another ultrasound to see what we can see. I only had one at 18 weeks, so I am secretly excited that I get another one to 1. see Soda Seven again and 2. maybe medically find out what's going on. We were only going to have one but I deem this as "medically important" in my brain.

She said a complication might be that there's too much fluid to allow baby to drop when she is ready, or something like that. I think I will ask more questions after the ultrasound and at my next appointment.

Does this sound familiar to anyone, or does anyone have advice? I've just heard of amniotic fluid being to low, not too high.

Too bad there's not a "giner spigot" as my DH was joking around that I could just open up and let a little bit out.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#2 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 06:45 PM

i was diagnosed with that with dd1. the only thing that i recall being an issue was that when my water broke, it FLOODED and continued to GUSH every time we went over a bump or i had a contraction for quite a while...when we got to the hospital and the nurse helped me from the wheelchair, she called out, "Yep, we have a positive chair test!" i was sitting in a *puddle!*

busy mama to four
: : : :
#3 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Did you have fluid other places like legs and hands? Did you "feel" huge? I mean, I look 9 months pregnant, but I don't really feel like I am completely done baking.

#4 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 07:08 PM

My midwife believes I have some excess fluid. Not a ton, but enough where she's got more room than she should at this stage. She had me take corn silk to help reduce the fluid, and it's worked. I went from measuring 3 weeks ahead to 1 week ahead, and baby is doing very well.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#5 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

How are you taking the corn silk? Because if it involves backing up my car to the Farmer's Market and loading up with ears of corn and then eating my way out of the pile, then sign me up!

#6 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
How are you taking the corn silk? Because if it involves backing up my car to the Farmer's Market and loading up with ears of corn and then eating my way out of the pile, then sign me up!
LMAO!!! That was awesome!

Dont' have any experience with this - just wanted to offer support. Keep us posted!

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#7 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 08:59 PM

I was diagnosed with mild-polyhydramnios around 20 weeks and it has since subsided, but I did a lot of research when I found out about it. When it is later onset it tends to be less serious, but can cause things like preterm labor, or allow baby too much freedom to move causing in medical terminology "mal-positioning" or basically that the baby has more room to turn when there is more fluid so it is more likely your baby to be breech or transverse. There is also a serious risk of cord-prolapse where the umbilical cord transcends before baby which can be very serious. (it cuts off oxygen to the baby) So basically some MW may advise you to deliver with a doc if you have a lot of excess fluid. Usually this far along polyhydramnios is due to something with the mother like diabetes or high bp and other things like that, but it can be a sign of kidney or gastro-intestinal problems with baby, so I think it is best to get an ultrasound and just be positive. I'm sure you and baby are just fine and I hope this doesn't make you worry, I just think it's better to be safe Try googleing it if you want more info.
#8 of 16 Old 06-01-2009, 09:46 PM

I had this, though not severely, it just caused a few jokes about how they could get students to practice amnios on me! I've now done all possibilities, my first pregnancy had normal fluid, my 2nd had severe oligohydramnios, though we didn't know until my water was broken and almost nothing came out, it was one of those situations where had we known things might have been done very differently, but thankfully everything went fine despite no special precautions been taken.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#9 of 16 Old 06-02-2009, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

Request: I'd like this moved to the general I'm Pregnant forum if possible! Thanks!

I scheduled an ultrasound on Friday. That seems SO long from now!:

#10 of 16 Old 06-02-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl2 View Post
Did you have fluid other places like legs and hands? Did you "feel" huge? I mean, I look 9 months pregnant, but I don't really feel like I am completely done baking.
i had some retained fluid elsewhere -- worse than in subsequent pregnancies but not nearly as bad as i've seen friends swell. i DID feel huge, yet my water broke at 37w4d with her and, like you, i don't think she was really ready to stop baking...despite the complete rupture of the membranes, labor didn't begin on it's own and i ended up with a pit induction. granted, if my jerk doctor had given me more than 12 hours to deliver, it might have gone much differently.... :

busy mama to four
: : : :
#11 of 16 Old 06-05-2009, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Today is my ultrasound at 11. I know that an ultrasound doesn't predict birth weight, and might not give me any other indication other than measuring those pockets of fluid, so I am not too worried...errr, at least, I don't think I am that alarmed.

I am going to a birth center for my primary care who will not induce me or immediately recommend a C-section, so at least I have that reassurance that my HCPs won't automatically be pushing for medical intervention.

I had one ultrasound before and went to the hospital's women pavilion, so it will be a bit strange just being in a hospital!

#12 of 16 Old 06-05-2009, 11:51 PM

Not in the DDC (not even pregnant!) but I wanted to add my .02.

I had polyhydramnios. They usually measure your fluid and assign a %age to it. Mine was in the 40th for my whole pregnancy...then I gained 12 lbs in 3 days. My fluid level had jumped to the 98th%tile. It was extreme and I ended up induced for it.

There is risk for abruption or prolapse with severe polyhydramnios. Hopefully it's no biggie for you!
#13 of 16 Old 06-06-2009, 12:06 AM

Sooo..how'd the u/s go?

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#14 of 16 Old 06-06-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I DON'T have polyhydroamnios, which is awesome! Fluid levels were good at 18.4 and they start I guess worrying if they're past 25.

Now, I know that ultrasounds are NO indication as to the birth weight, but they are estimating her to be 8lbs. 10oz. right now at 36w6d Okay, okay I WILL say that my aunt birthed a 10-pound baby, but we both just burst out laughing when they said that.

My theory is the fatter, the squishier, therefore making her easier to squeeze out! hahahhaha

And she cooperated and you can see her FAT LITTLE CHEEKS which I can't wait to meet!!! DH could not stop swooning!

Soda Seven

#15 of 16 Old 06-06-2009, 01:52 PM

For some reason, I developed this at the end of my last pregnancy- with my perfectly healthy, petite baby girl. Since docs in Germany do ultrasounds at every visit ( we knew that baby was fine...so it was just one of those thigs. His biggest concern was that it supposedly put us at higher risk for cord compression if my water broke first ( apparently, with the higher volume of fluid, if the bg breaks, there may be a chance that teh cord is kind of washed down through the birth canal with it).
Anyhow, my water DID break first, a nice big splash....and immediately I checked to see if I could feel cord...not a problem.
There was tons of fluid, my husband remembers the midwife just sweeping it off teh bed and it pouring on teh floor- but no problems. Baby's head engaged fine. I had about 5 hours after my water broke until contractions started, and then just less than 2 until she was out !
So I wouldn't worry too much ) Just be aware of the possible issues, know how to handle them ( like elevating your bottom and getting to the hospital if there is a cord compression) and treat things as usual )
Best wishes
#16 of 16 Old 06-06-2009, 04:26 PM

What an adorable chubby face!

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page