Talk to me about decreased movement... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 06-02-2009, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This morning I was getting a little bit worried. The babe usually wakes me up every morning at 5:30 and is SUPER active for about an hour and then I fall back asleep for 30-45 min. After waking, I eat and baby is pretty active all morning. Today, I woke at 5:30 (like every day) and went to pee, but I came back to bed and NO movement. I was awake and waiting for my crazy, flippy baby to wake up and nothing... From 5:30-6:30 I felt 2 movements that were more like pressure than a kick or punch or rolling (nothing like normal).

I have no idea what my midwife's protocol on movement is, so I looked online and there is no consensus there. Her office doesn't open until 8, so I decided to keep counting until then. From 6:30-7:30 I felt 4 "kicks" and then from 7:30 to 8 the baby's movement seemed back to normal, so I didn't call.

So, was babe just sleeping in? Could I have slept through the big movements this morning (not likely since I was up at 4:30 and 5 to pee). When a baby's pattern of movement has been so regular, what would make it change? Should I have called? I am still a little freaked out...

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)
#2 of 10 Old 06-02-2009, 11:52 AM

I have noticed decreased movement in the past couple of weeks. It gets harder to move, the bigger they get. But as soon as it worries me, I feel something. I think it sounds normal.
#3 of 10 Old 06-02-2009, 11:53 AM
ell

I noticed a fairly sudden change in movement patterns a week or so ago - I think she flipped and started kicking the placenta or something. I was freaking out and was using the doppler steadily for a few days, but everything was fine. Odds are your baby is simply running out of room.
#4 of 10 Old 06-02-2009, 11:57 AM

I noticed a big change in movement when my baby turned totally anterior. So chances are everything is fine. However, I'm a big believer in instinct, so if you think something might be wrong, don't hesitate to call your midwife and get a quick check. That's what they are there for!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#5 of 10 Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 PM

Do you know where your placenta is? Mine is posterior and when she flipped posterior a few days ago I started feeling MORE movement, like a lot more. I'm guessing, like others have said, that she's just kicking the placenta instead of you. I'd probably call your midwife/doctor just to make sure and be reassured, but it's probably not a big deal.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#6 of 10 Old 06-02-2009, 02:38 PM

The general suggestion is that if you notice decreased movement you should lay on your left side sipping water or orange juice and count how many movements you feel. If you feel less than twelve, contact your care provider. The water is for hydration, because dehyrdation can cause decreased fetal movement. The orange juice would be for sugar, if you suspect your blood sugar may be low.

Most babies do move less toward the last few weeks due to having less space to move around, but it's still very good to be cautious. It's most likely fine and the majority of the time there is nothing wrong, but just in case it's good to be careful and check up.
#7 of 10 Old 06-02-2009, 04:31 PM

We had a very similar situation a few days ago - this baby has consistently been very active and extremely responsive, I just have to rub my belly to get a reaction. The other morning I was feeling no movement despite all our efforts and was about to just walk to the nearest hospital at 6:00 am. Finally, the baby "woke up" or something and was back to his or her normal active self but we really panicked!

I did notice that the little bum was in the middle of my belly and much lower than usual so I think I just wasn't feeling any movement since the baby was low and anterior in the middle...usually this baby is either right or left anterior so I feel a lot of kicks or wiggles on the opposite side. He or she has returned back to this since that morning and hasn't been "low" like that again.

I definitely drank some juice, got up and moved around a bit, and then went back to my left side - I would have headed to the hospital if I hadn't felt good movement within an hour and called my midwife along the way. For some reason I have heard too many stories about what decreased movement can mean but some of the stories have been positive in that the mothers responded soon enough to save their babies...I guess it makes me especially tuned into how this little one is moving more than I ever remember being with my first pregnancy.
#8 of 10 Old 06-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have heard that it is normal for babes sleep pattern to change near the end of pregnancy. If baby moved just fine a little later than usual, it could just be that. Mine's changed recently. I was a bit worried at first, but she seems to have a new schedule now. I just had to get used to it.

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#9 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM

DDC crashing.

I'm 42 weeks tomorrow and have definitely noticed baby has a new schedule now. As long as I can feel a little movement every now and then, I don't panic, but it did get me worried at first. He seems to have picked up movement again now after a couple of quiet weeks.

Our baby boy, Kynan Glenn, born 6 June 09
#10 of 10 Old 06-03-2009, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

So, I really think y'all are right about the new schedule. This morning was pretty much the same as yesterday! Tons of movement the rest of the day yesterday, and so-far tons today!

~Amy~ Wife to my best friend Brandon. Mama to my sweet girl Eden (11/6/06) and my little man Theo (6/25/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page