Does anyone else NOT have a name?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I can't agree on a name! We had our baby girl named picked out since last pregnancy and then found out we're having a boy. I thought we had agreed on Samuel, but DH isn't set on that, so we're still tossing around names. He's vetoed quite a few of mine, I've done the same. The names I think we both kind of like are:

Samuel
Caleb
Tate

He really likes Alexander, and even though I like it can't picture having an Alexander. I really like Quinn and Aidan, but he thinks those names are too popular sounding.

Then I had the idea of Tate Alexander. DH wrinkled his nose. Finally last night he threw the baby book down and said "Fine. I guess it's Samuel since that's the only name you like." I don't want either one of us to settle on a name, but it's getting down to the wire!

HELP!

By the way, our other kids are Max, Lucy, Gabe (Gabriel).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 AM

I love the name Tate...I have a dear friend with this name and he is the only one I know! I also think Tate goes really well with your other children.

Samuel and Caleb are both super cute too...I see why you are having trouble deciding.

Alexander is a great middle name...as well as Samuel. (We are using Samuel as our middle name!)
#3 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 AM

I like Samuel.
We're not too set either - I like Max, DH likes John or Jacob
Ellie for a girl

Not too keen on long first names since our last name is a doozy........
I figure we'll know....

still learning
#4 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 AM

DH and I have yet to talk about names. Life has just been crazy busy. I'm not too worried about it though, I figgure we'll have time to decide after the birth, although I would like a name sooner rather than later. The week we took to name DS was too long.

Mama to three - DD : 1/03, DS 2/06, and DS 6/09.
#5 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 10:53 AM

meee! We cannot decide on a name at all. We're having a boy too. I find boy names really difficult and looove girl names, heh.
I like all the names you've listed! I do think Aidan (and the other spellings of it and the names that rhyme with it) is getting really popular. The only other babies in my family aside from my son are named Aidan! And my son is named Odin, haha. I have no idea about the popularity of Quinn. I really like that as well. I'm not really any help. I like basically all names for other people but cannot settle on one myself.
I think my favorite of yours would be Quinn Alexander with Tate Alexander in second. Samuel Quinn sounds nice too, hmmm. Haha, oh dear.
good luck!!

Right now we are leaning towards Merek/Merric, but who knows! I originally wanted Fable or Donovan (or Fable Donovan), but apparently Fable is "too girly" or would ruin my child for life or something, so oh well, haha. And my husband doesn't like Donovan. Then there is Milo, but Milo and Odin/Milo and Otis?! Or Sirius but when we brought that up, we got "are you serious? hawhaw" so I don't know. It's apparently not a good idea to tell relatives because people are aaaalways negative. Or maybe that's just my family! I think I may be over thinking things too, hah.
#6 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 10:59 AM

Yeah, we're still deciding too. We have girl names picked out (Naomi or Miriam), but are still deciding on boy names. Right now our favorites are Joash and Tobias. But I'm afriad that people would think that Joash is just "Josh". Your kids' names also reminded me I like the name Gabriel.

All the names you mentioned sound good with your other children. Quinn is not that popular (by that I mean commonly used) of a name in my opinion, especially compared to Aidan. Maybe if your DH saw that it was not too common he would like it better?

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#7 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM

We still do not have a name picked out. We have kinda narrowed it down to Logan Michael. But not totally. DH doesn't really like the name Logan. I like it more than any other name we have thought of.

I just figured after meeting him, it will be easier to name him.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#8 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 11:04 AM

I have no girl name picked out and as much as I've wracked my brain I just can't think of one I like at all so I'm really, really hoping the u/s was right & this is a boy or...idk what to do.

Dh won't be home for a long time from deployment, I'd hate to just be stuck on 'baby girl' instead of a name for that long

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#9 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 12:01 PM

We sort of have names, but I'm second guessing our choices and we don't have any back ups. No middle names either.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#10 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 12:23 PM

We've got nothing - seriously I mean nothing. I figure we have 10 days after a homebirth to file the birth - so he'll have a name by then, right?

Beth, Mama to my two nurslings, DD 2.22.07 and DS 6.20.09 Worn, Intact, CD, Unvaxed, Born at Home!
#11 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 12:27 PM

We have a boy name but not a girl name. Hoping for a boy because otherwise it's going to stink trying to come up with something.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#12 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! You've made me feel better. And you guys are right, if we wait until he's born I bet we'll look at him and just KNOW what his name should be!

By the way, I love the names that everyone else is tossing around for their children. How come it's so much easier to like everyone else's kids names?
#13 of 18 Old 06-05-2009, 08:55 PM

maxwill- i like all your first names.. and they are go well with your other kids' names.. sorry I'm no help.

Ours are down to 2, Oliver & Griffin.. but we will wait to meet him before we decide.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#14 of 18 Old 06-06-2009, 01:40 PM

Yeah- somehow, we have our boy's name downI just feel that it is right in my gut, even though I know that if baby is a boy, it is going to take a long time for the name to grow on some people
OUr girls name though... which is exactly why I have a hunch that baby is a girl I feel like I know what parts of the name are supposed to be, I'm just not sure how to put them together....I know that sounds strange, but I put so much into naming my kids, I probably over-analyze .
I am hoping that when baby gets here, it will just be obvious, either because he is a boy or because something about her just lets me know
That said, I personally LOVE Tate Alexander. I think it goes great with your othrs kids names. I wonder if there is a way that you could make it appeal more to your husband. You could pooint out how great tate fits in with your other kids short names/nn...or maybe the little genius kid from the movie "Little Man Tate". Then again, maybe when baby boy gets here, husband will see him and feel like he IS a Samuel, instead of feeling like he is settling for it...with both of our older kids, one of us liked the name better than the other, and it came down to meeting the baby and just "knowing" which name was teh right one- we both just agreed without having to say anything about it.
may blessings !
#15 of 18 Old 06-06-2009, 04:34 PM

I like Tate with your other names. My DH's name is Nathaniel, and he has a brother Gabe, could do Nate?

We don't have names picked out. We've got some I like, but DH always vetos them. He'll suggest it and then go, Oh I don't really like that. AGGGGH!

He joked that we could do like in the olden days and wait until the baby is 4 or 5 YEARS old! Um--no!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#16 of 18 Old 06-06-2009, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm getting partial to Tate Alexander myself! Also, DH and I wrote up a list of names to bring to the hospital and I told him to NOT agree to writing down a name if he really didn't want his kid named that. He agreed to all 3 of the names in my first post and then I agreed to writing down Alex/Alexander in addition to the other three.

LizzyQ, I LOVE the names Oliver and Griffin! Either one you chose will be a great name!

Maggirayne, DH and I actually are thinking about Nathaniel (Nate)!
#17 of 18 Old 06-08-2009, 03:21 PM

I gave up on naming the baby before he arrives. It was stressing me out!

We didn't have such difficulty with our first two kids, and if this one was a girl, we had a name picked out. But, it's a boy.

My first two kids have a nature name and family name (from my side, bc we give then dh's last name). Janey Sky and Forest Patrick. I think I need to use the nature name as the middle name. Otherwise, it really has to sound okay with Forest.

Our current list:
(some of these are family names, from either side)

Bruce (as in Sprinsteen and Lee)
Wade
Hugh (Huey nn)
Walt (er) (Dh's family name, but a filaderer. And for Walt Witman)
Dean
(my dad's name, parents divorced and my mom doesn't like it. My dad died when I was 16)
(Langston, King, and Lincoln were also once under consideration. I had Aristotle on my list, but everyone thought that was nutty )

Nature Names

Hawk
Fox
Canyon
River
Koa (a tree and warrior in Hawaiian)

Any suggestions (new names)? Thoughts? We don't ask many people irl, bc I don't really want to hear what my family thinks, they just give me their own ideas and poo poo ours. We didn't tell anyone Forest's name until after he was born, bc we knew we get lots of Forrest Gump responses.

I am going to wait until he is born to give him his name.

TIA
Andee
#18 of 18 Old 06-08-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLove View Post
I gave up on naming the baby before he arrives. It was stressing me out!

We didn't have such difficulty with our first two kids, and if this one was a girl, we had a name picked out. But, it's a boy.

My first two kids have a nature name and family name (from my side, bc we give then dh's last name). Janey Sky and Forest Patrick. I think I need to use the nature name as the middle name. Otherwise, it really has to sound okay with Forest.

Our current list:
(some of these are family names, from either side)

Bruce (as in Sprinsteen and Lee)
Wade
Hugh (Huey nn)
Walt (er) (Dh's family name, but a filaderer. And for Walt Witman)
Dean
(my dad's name, parents divorced and my mom doesn't like it. My dad died when I was 16)
(Langston, King, and Lincoln were also once under consideration. I had Aristotle on my list, but everyone thought that was nutty )

Nature Names

Hawk
Fox
Canyon
River
Koa (a tree and warrior in Hawaiian)

Any suggestions (new names)? Thoughts? We don't ask many people irl, bc I don't really want to hear what my family thinks, they just give me their own ideas and poo poo ours. We didn't tell anyone Forest's name until after he was born, bc we knew we get lots of Forrest Gump responses.

I am going to wait until he is born to give him his name.

TIA
Andee
I like Bruce River, Dean Canyon, Walter Hawk and Walter Fox.

And, I think Janey, Forest, and Walter make the best sibling combo

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page