How "late" will your provider let you go? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't discussed this with my MW (I'm planning a homebirth) but how long after your due date is your MW/OB/etc. willing to let you hang out before they want to induce and/or do regular NSTs?

My first 2 were early but for some reason I think this one will be late.

Also, are you willing to let them "strip membranes"? Any considering any form of intervention, natural, homeopathic, or artificial? Is stripping membranes considered artificial intervention?

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#2 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 PM

Legally she can only be my provider until 42 weeks... after that I would be transferred to an OB.

Stripping Membranes hurts! At least it did me last time.. I don't want to go there, and I would do other things before then.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#3 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 01:45 PM

Legally my midwife practice can go to 42 1/2 weeks.

I have never had my membranes "sweeped," but I am going to try it if I make it until 41 weeks (Monday). I have heard that for some people it is painful, and some people say it is nothing at all. Likely has to do with the condition of your cervix and the gentleness of your provider. I am Ok with 5 minutes of pain if it will hasten the 5 or so hours of pain that is labor!

My MW practice will start using a breast pump and may rupture membranes if you go past 42 weeks--both of which are preferable to me than being transferred to an OB and being pressured into pitocen. Frankly, if I go past about 42 weeks and one day, even I will start getting nervous.
#4 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 01:46 PM

My OB will let me go to 42 weeks... if it gets to that it is another c/s for me since I am not willing to try and induce with a VBAC. I might let her strip my membranes next appointment, which is the day after my due date... I haven't even gotten checked yet because I didn't want to be dissappointed!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#5 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 01:51 PM

After 41 weeks my OB/MW want regular NSTs and would discuss stripping membranes (which REALLY hurt last time with DD). I'll try all other natural methods before that (well not castor oil - yuck) but would allow membrane stripping again around 41 weeks to try to avoid Pit. But hopefully I go this weekend!

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#6 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 01:55 PM

My midwife "let" me go to 42 weeks then I scheduled a BPP with my back-up OB and after the results came back good, she would have "let" me go to 43 weeks before transferring care. I had my baby (3rd) at 42W 5d and started labor by pumping for half an hour.

Nina Wife to DH
Mama to DD1-4y DS-3y DD2-21m
#7 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 02:14 PM

If I go past 42 weeks I risk out of a home birth. My understanding is that my midwives have an agreement with a number of OBs that would still let them be my primary care provider while the doctor provides oversight in the hospital. Our midwives request a NST at 41+3.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#8 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 02:39 PM

At the start of my pg they told me no more than 41 weeks. Now that I have GD & the baby is breech who knows what they're going to try & tell me(not that it really matters, I already know what I'm doing irregardless of what they're planning).

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#9 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 02:59 PM

Legally we can do homebirth until 42 weeks. After that we have to do hospital birth, but can still stay with the midwives. After 41 weeks we'll do a NST and an ultrasound ~ as long as baby is still fine and fluid levels are still doing well, then there is no talk of induction unless that changes.
#10 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 03:03 PM

Technically, doing anything to initiate labor is artifical induction. Some stuff is just less medical than others.

I haven't even bothered to ask when my MWs cut-off is, because frankly I don't care I think that leagally after 42 weeks she has to refer me to an ob. But I'm paying out-of-pocket anyway and if I do go past 42 weeks she can either attend me "off the record" or I will just UC again.

FWIW, I have been pumping since 36 weeks (to save up some colostrum) and it (obviously) hasn't done anything as far as producing contractions. The last few nights I have tried doing several sessions (like 15 mins pumping with a 10 minutes break) for over 3 hours and nothing happened-like, no contractions at all. So, for me at least, pumping alone isn't enough on its own to get labor going.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#11 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessielove View Post
Legally we can do homebirth until 42 weeks. After that we have to do hospital birth, but can still stay with the midwives. After 41 weeks we'll do a NST and an ultrasound ~ as long as baby is still fine and fluid levels are still doing well, then there is no talk of induction unless that changes.

same for me, except I'm not doing a homebirth. They'll do an u/s at 41 and a day to check fluid, and let me go to 42 if there's no issue.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#12 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 03:17 PM

my OB has said in the past that, assuming all is well, he wouldn't pressure me about induction until 42 weeks. i think, as a pp said, that after 41 weeks we end up with a lot more frequent visits/NSTs and the like, but i figured i'd cross that bridge when i got to it, kwim? my first two were early (36w2d and 37w4d) which totally spoiled me for my third (who was an induction at 40w3d -- that was my fault, tho, i broke down and actually BEGGED for one )

i'm only 38w2d today...getting anxious, but not going all out crazy......YET. lol mostly i'm just trying to NOT let my past experiences get in the way of me being in a good place emotionally if i go over this time!

busy mama to four
: : : :
#13 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 03:58 PM

I wont go past 39w2d THANK GOD. Not that I am counting the days or anything, but that is 2w5d away.
#14 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 04:00 PM

It's never been mentioned, but they don't induce for any reason. And since midwives (CPM's anyway) aren't "legal" anyway in my state, there is no requirement or cutoff. So I really have no idea. Hopefully I won't have to have that discussion

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#15 of 23 Old 06-05-2009, 05:00 PM

I haven't discussed it with my current midwife, but my last one was willing to let me go "until the baby is born." Personally, as I know my dates exactly and as I'm having significant swelling and my bp is up, I don't feel comfortable going past 42 weeks.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#16 of 23 Old 06-06-2009, 12:40 AM

They are talking about inducing me next week, at 41 weeks (Tuesday).

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#17 of 23 Old 06-06-2009, 06:26 AM

Like mostly everyone, my MW doesn't like to go past 42 weeks but won't do anything invasive until then. At our last appointment two weeks ago, we left it that I would call him if the baby wasn't here by Wednesday June 10 (40w1d) and he would see me on Thursday or Friday. Once I hit 41 weeks they will monitor me every 2 days just to make sure the baby is doing ok...at 42 weeks I assume we try some sort of induction method.

My son was born at 41w2d and as much as I am hoping this baby is coming sooner (like, tomorrow!) I am mentally prepared to go all the way to 41 weeks and beyond...I think.
#18 of 23 Old 06-06-2009, 08:49 AM

my mw said if i get to 43 weeks she may want to do an nst. i'm not worried about going that far.
#19 of 23 Old 06-06-2009, 03:02 PM

My midwife can deliver until 42 weeks. She said at 41w 6d, she'll have to make the call to her backup OB. She said she will also pull out her "tricks" before that point; stripping membranes, herbs, castor oil, etc. I'm more than willing to try all that stuff before going to the hospital to get induced!

At 41 weeks (which would be Friday for me), she sends her patients for a biophysical profile and NST test. I'm really hoping to not have to do that since I'm feeling confident that everything is fine.

Amy, wife to Kevin, homeschooling mommy to Chase '99, Aidan '03, and Carabelle 6/16/09 :
#20 of 23 Old 06-06-2009, 03:37 PM

Mine said 43 weeks, so if I don't have this baby by 42 weeks, I'm going to try sex, EPO, chiropractor, massage, acupuncture and castor oil if it comes down to it. My DD is still nursing, so plenty of nipple stim there. I think I'd do sweeping membranes only as a last resort before seeing an OB since that could rupture the sac. I'm not even sure if my midwife would do that. i'm not really too worried though, I'm sure this baby will come out before 43 weeks.

If by any chance I do have to see an OB though, I'm totally lying about how far along I am.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#21 of 23 Old 06-06-2009, 06:59 PM

Mine said once I go past dates it's a good idea to get weekly NST's to make sure that the placenta, fluid, baby's HR etc looks good. If so, I can go to 43 weeks. However, for my own sanity I am definitely seeing my chiro and getting accupuncture once I hit 41 weeks!

And of course I'll be checking on here for other things to try.
#22 of 23 Old 06-06-2009, 07:53 PM

Gosh - this isn't something I've even thought to ask my midwife. I'm just not concerned about it I guess.

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#23 of 23 Old 06-07-2009, 01:53 AM

I am pretty sure my midwife will attend me when the baby is ready to arrive. She has had clients who always go 43 weeks. She does have me taking EPO, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsMommy View Post
If by any chance I do have to see an OB though, I'm totally lying about how far along I am.
I have a real due date with my midwife and a fake one whenever I have gone anywhere medical, like my family practice doctor. I am just not comfortable having that kind of thing on record anymore.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page