37 weeks? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 29 Old 06-05-2009, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay - by my calculations I am 37 weeks today (Dr says Monday) - either way would you feel comfortable delivering at 37 weeks or is that still a little too early? Not like I can make it happen but I'm not sure I want to resume too much activity (been on bed rest) as the contractions are so much more intense and regular when I move about. With DS 1 I always heard 38 weeks, now I hear 37.............
TIA

still learning
#2 of 29 Old 06-05-2009, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Personally, if I went into labor at 37 weeks, I would have no problem with it. "Term" is considered to be 37 weeks. If your LO and body are ready at 37 weeks, I wouldn't be concerned. But, that's just my opinion, and I'm sure not everyone feels that way!

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#3 of 29 Old 06-05-2009, 10:12 PM

I would be comfortable delivering then. I'm only 37W3D. but I was comfortable with the idea of delivering at about 36.5 weeks. I would just trust your intuition.

Kim, wife to my best friend and high school sweetheart. :
Mom to DD1 (2/06) : and DD2 (6/09) :
#4 of 29 Old 06-05-2009, 11:20 PM

You are due the same day as me right? June 29th? (I will be 37w on monday) I am SOOOO beyond ready to have this kid that I would be more then happy to go today. Monday would be fine, but I would prefer today.

My second son was born at 36w5d so I know what that has created for me. He was fine, totally healthy with no problems nursing etc. He just had a little jaundice, but I never even took him in for that.

So really, this kid can get out any time now.
#5 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 12:04 AM - Thread Starter

thanks ladies!

still learning
#6 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 12:38 AM

I would have been totally fine with delivering at 37 weeks! I'm almost 41 now and still no baby.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#7 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 12:50 AM

Yes, I'd be comfortable at 37 weeks. I'd probably even be comfortable delivering at 36 weeks (at home even.) It would really depend on what my intuition is telling me at the time.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#8 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 12:53 AM

Not a problem from my perspective but DS came at 37w6d and looked like he was over-baked a bit (and yes I am very sure of my dates) so I don't think I cook babies very long.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#9 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 10:46 AM

I delivered my last at 37 weeks. He did fine!
#10 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 10:47 AM

I wouldn't schedule a birth (by induction or c-section) for 37 weeks (unless medically indicated, of course!), but if you go into labor on your own at that point, the baby should be perfectly fine. Some babies don't have sufficient surfactant or haven't developed a strong enough suck reflex until more like 38 weeks, but those are the babies who likely wouldn't choose to come until after 38 weeks.

Our midwife is comfortable attending homebirths anytime after 36 weeks (and thus, I would be fine with our baby choosing to come anytime after that point--and we're at 37w3d today, and baby is welcome to be born ).

Lex

Mindfully mothering SIX kids (ages 4, 5, 7, 8, 11 & 11) in a small house with a lot of love.
#11 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 10:53 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely not scheduling ANYTHING!!!! I'd go to 42 if I need to - just if I get off bed rest my contractions can be pretty intense and regular so just whether or not to get up

still learning
#12 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 10:57 AM
ell

I'm 37 weeks on Monday and while I am nowhere near ready mentally (or in terms of being baby-ready - we don't even have furniture to put anything in) - I would not worry about baby's health were I to give birth tomorrow. I'd actually be a bit thankful that she didn't have three more weeks to grow to 9 pounds or something equally vagina-frightening.
#13 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 AM

I delivered at exactly 37 weeks (according to early ultrasound...it could have been a couple of days over though.) She is doing just fine! The only issue she had was jaundice and her numbers are coming down on their own.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#14 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 12:25 PM

I would be completely comfortable (delivered my last at 37 wks) and was hoping this one was coming at 37 wks - but alas here I am... 37 +5

I was on bedrest for threatened pre-term at 28 weeks. Was lifted to limited activity a couple weeks later. At 34 weeks I resumed more "normal" but still light activity and at 35weeks forward I pretty much did whatever I felt like I could do. Which included some fairly heavy activity for some days. My intense contractions continue without any sign of either stopping or turning into actual labour. So - you may continue to have the contractions but not necessarily go into labour right away.

Personally I am pretty tired of feeling like I'm in a version of "early labour" for the past 8 + weeks. I have decided to stop paying any attention to my endless contractions until they are so strong that I can't help but not pay attention.

I would listen to your body and do what you feel up to doing.
#15 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM

I am 37 weeks today. For selfish reasons, she is "allowed" to come out June 10 or later. Mama here needs to go see her concert on June 9 and finish up the school year, also done June 9

But honestly, if she came out, that would all be fine with me.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#16 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexbeach View Post
I wouldn't schedule a birth (by induction or c-section) for 37 weeks (unless medically indicated, of course!), but if you go into labor on your own at that point, the baby should be perfectly fine. Some babies don't have sufficient surfactant or haven't developed a strong enough suck reflex until more like 38 weeks, but those are the babies who likely wouldn't choose to come until after 38 weeks.

Our midwife is comfortable attending homebirths anytime after 36 weeks (and thus, I would be fine with our baby choosing to come anytime after that point--and we're at 37w3d today, and baby is welcome to be born ).

Lex
:

I think I'd be fine with spontaneous labor at 37 weeks, but not an induction. Not all babies develop at the same rate--some do great at 37 weeks and some need a little more time.
#17 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks - I've been getting up and around and doing some light house work.....I just don't want to have NO muscles left when it's time!!!! I'll do what feels good and stop when I need to. I just wasn't sure about those last 3 weeks.....how much development occurs.....my DH is adamant about me still being on bed rest unti l39 weeks!!!! He's funny. It's not going to happen!

still learning
#18 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 03:15 PM

Here's my experience with a 37 "weeker"-

My first son was born at 37w 5d. My water broke but I didn't go into labor on my own. He was born 47 hours later after lots of herbs and nipple stimulation. There was a storm brewing in the Gulf of Mexico and I think that may be why my water broke.

My son was born very healthy and big (8#5oz) but wouldn't latch on the breast and I ended up pumping and syringe feeding him for about a week. It took until right around his due date to really get the nursing down. He was also a bit fussy.

My second son was born at 41w 2d. He was such a fabulous nurser from the start and more easy going.

Amy, wife to Kevin, homeschooling mommy to Chase '99, Aidan '03, and Carabelle 6/16/09 :
#19 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 03:41 PM

If it was me and I thought I could keep the baby in a little longer by taking it easy, then I probably would.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#20 of 29 Old 06-06-2009, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter

The last 2 posters and my DH agree.......I compromised by saying I'd take it easy but not stay on bed rest!!!!

still learning
#21 of 29 Old 06-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Visiting from July

I am 36 weeks today.
I would not feel scared if the baby decided to come, even though it would mean I would not have my homebirth (the midwife will only come beginning on week 37)
I figure that if the baby decided to come at this point, it is because he/she is ready, so I would not try to stop things.

What I think is very bad is all the talk about induction by women who are 37 week because the doctor told them "there is no reason to continue being pregnant, since the baby is all ready anyway" :
#22 of 29 Old 06-07-2009, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've never technically made it to 37 weeks, so here's my experience... This one and the last one both came at 36w6d, spontaneous labor. Both babies were average newborn size (7 lbs 4 oz, 7 lbs 8 oz, respectively). Both were born out of hospital with a midwife (CPM). Both had signs of truly being 37 weeks (plus dating u/s early on and charting confirmed) - they had a lot of vernix, and other signs of being 37 weeks.

First baby had perfect APGARs, but had some difficulty nursing for about the first 5.5 weeks (he had a "short tongue", as best as we could tell by looking up our "symptoms" in the Breastfeeding Answer Book with an LLL leader). I had to pump and spoon feed 1/2 oz before transferring him to the breast for about a day and a half, and then he finally started latching on without the pumping. He was VERY efficient at nursing once he was latched properly. It was getting to the proper latch that was difficult for him. He also did get jaundiced, head to toe, but he was not lethargic, so we just did sunlight and plenty of breastfeeding. He got better on his own and never had to go to the doctor.

Second baby had a little trouble breathing at first, but nothing scary. He just had some grunting and retraction that first few minutes. And he didn't cry right away, but once we got him crying, the breathing issues went away pretty quickly. No O2 was necessary. Baby stayed in my arms (with cord still attached) in the water the whole time, and we basically just rubbed him good and they repeatedly checked his breathing by listening to his lungs and paying attention to the grunting and retracting. After that first few minutes, he was breathing completely normally and was absolutely fine. He got a tiny bit of jaundice, but not as bad as his brother. It only went about halfway down. He's almost completely cleared up. Still see it in his eyes a bit (he'll be 2 weeks old tomorrow). This little guy nurses like a CHAMP. We had some lazy latch issues that caused me some excruciating nipple pain, but the baby still gained 2 oz in the first 3 days of life and is up 1 lb from birth as of 10 days! So he's definitely nursing REALLY well, and we've fixed the lazy latch issue and my pain is pretty much gone. He's a very efficient nurser like his brother, and he also doesn't comfort nurse, which is how his brother was as well. Both of these boys are completely different from my first, who was a 29 weeker and was a big comfort nurser.

Anyway, my experience having a preemie and having 2 "37 weekers" (even though they were both 1 day shy of that ) is that they'll have some preemie-like tendencies most likely, but usually they do fine if they're coming on their own at that point. I flash cook my kids, so I expected mine to come that early. I would have been completely comfortable delivering at 36 weeks, which is when my midwife goes on call. I know how my kids do when they come early... my 29 weeker did really well for his gestation, and both my 37 weekers were developed enough and able to breathe as well as any full term baby. I didn't have any preterm labor or anything like that, but when you do, that actually causes the lungs to develop a little quicker, so PTL babies often do fine coming at 36-37 weeks. A friend of mine has PTL starting around 14-16 weeks, and she delivers them around 36 weeks when she's taken off drugs and bedrest. They've all done well. I think the last one did require a couple days in NICU... she may have come before 36 weeks. I know her first 2 were right around 36-36.5 weeks, and they were both "take home babies".

I would NOT, however, recommend inducing for a non-medical reason (which I know you're not even thinking about that), as that could end up with a NICU baby. But a 37 weeker coming on their own, I'm completely fine with.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#23 of 29 Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 PM

I'm 37 weeks today, and I'd be okay with it if I went into labour. Actually, on the one hand, I'd be thrilled, because I might manage to avoid this last c-section. OTOH, in my case, I'd be slightly worried, just because my babies usually go post-dates, so I'd be wondering if there were something wrong, yk?

But, yeah - in general, I think spontaneous labour at 37 weeks is just fine.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#24 of 29 Old 06-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
I'm 37 weeks today, and I'd be okay with it if I went into labour. Actually, on the one hand, I'd be thrilled, because I might manage to avoid this last c-section. OTOH, in my case, I'd be slightly worried, just because my babies usually go post-dates, so I'd be wondering if there were something wrong, yk?

But, yeah - in general, I think spontaneous labour at 37 weeks is just fine.
I agree with you there, if I hadn't already had a 36w+ baby I would be very nervous about it, but since I already had one with no problems at all, not even nursing problems, I would be ok with it. But of course, it would have to be on the baby's terms, not mine. My c-section is for as close to 40 weeks as we could get it without my Dr. leaving on his vacation for part of my hospital stay, so that is for 39w2d.
#25 of 29 Old 06-07-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
I agree with you there, if I hadn't already had a 36w+ baby I would be very nervous about it, but since I already had one with no problems at all, not even nursing problems, I would be ok with it. But of course, it would have to be on the baby's terms, not mine. My c-section is for as close to 40 weeks as we could get it without my Dr. leaving on his vacation for part of my hospital stay, so that is for 39w2d.
Mine's 39w5d. I think it's a bit too early, but there aren't a lot of options. I don't have the energy to fight, anymore. My OB doesn't have OR time again for another week plus after my surgery date. I could just not show up, but I don't have the oomph. At least I'm going a little further than with dd...who was at 39w2d, just like yours!

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#26 of 29 Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Bride View Post
Mine's 39w5d. I think it's a bit too early, but there aren't a lot of options. I don't have the energy to fight, anymore. My OB doesn't have OR time again for another week plus after my surgery date. I could just not show up, but I don't have the oomph. At least I'm going a little further than with dd...who was at 39w2d, just like yours!
Yeah, I wanted mine scheduled at 40+ and then if I go into labor on my own (which I would be happy to today, just putting that out there) then that is fine, he can come when he wants. Sadly, my OB will be on vacation the monday after my surgery is scheduled and I dont' feel comfortable with having a different dr. do it. So basically, that was my latest day, or have a different OB. I still would prefer for him to come on his own.
#27 of 29 Old 06-07-2009, 11:30 PM

I think 37 would be fine. I would have been comfortable with that. (I was 31w6d)

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#28 of 29 Old 06-08-2009, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiclady View Post
I think 37 would be fine. I would have been comfortable with that. (I was 31w6d)
Yes - I can imagine that for you 37 weeks would be ideal!!!! I can't imagine going through what you did.

still learning
#29 of 29 Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
Yeah, I wanted mine scheduled at 40+ and then if I go into labor on my own (which I would be happy to today, just putting that out there) then that is fine, he can come when he wants. Sadly, my OB will be on vacation the monday after my surgery is scheduled and I dont' feel comfortable with having a different dr. do it. So basically, that was my latest day, or have a different OB. I still would prefer for him to come on his own.
I might be okay with a different OB...except that one of the ones with privileges at that hospital is the one who did my 2nd and 3rd sections - and I don't want him coming near me again, under any circumstances, but especially not in the OR. He's actually not a bad guy and he's not cut happy (I've seen him deal with other pregnant women), but he's WAY too heavy-handed on the "I know what's best for you" crap.

So...the 26th, unless I happen to go early, by some freak chance. It's not really likely, imo.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page