joined the pumping club - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-06-2009, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been a hard week. At the beginning of the week my breasts rapidly decreased in size, much faster than I would have expected, I wondered if it was some kind of 3rd time mum thing, but over the next couple of days it became obvious that we had issues, but I wasn't sure whether it was me or her and started working on things to up my supply, on Thursday I finally realised it was her, managed to get an appointment with a lactation consultant, who weighed her before and after a feeding, she'd only taken 6ml, about a tenth of what she needs.

The LC thinks it's just being a 37 weeker, but as she has a slight tongue tie, we did also get that cut in case it was making a difference. Our plan now is for me to feed her 10mins each side, then supplement her with expressed milk, whilst I pump to provide that milk and to maintain/build supply.

So I've managed to get in the situation of basically EPing, pumping 7 times a day and all that that entails, but I'm also still spending time nursing a baby at the breast! Thank goodness that DH is off work and will be for the foreseeable future.

We're supplementing her using a syringe and tube slid in to her mouth next to a finger, we're avoiding bottles for the moment, I hope she figures everything out soon and we can get her on the breast full time.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2009, 11:48 PM

I hope she figures it out soon!!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
Old 06-07-2009, 02:08 AM

I hope she figures it out soo, too! But I wonder about the advise of limiting her to 10 minutes per breast. If she is having latch/suck issues, then she is probably not effeciently removing milk from your breast and not getting to the higher calorie and high fat hindmilk in the 10 minutes. To me it would make more sense to allow her nurse until she drains one breast before switching her and/or then giving her the EBM. IDK, limiting the amount of time for nursing doesn't seem like it would help the problem.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

Old 06-07-2009, 02:15 AM

: Limiting nursing at the breast is usually a very bad thing.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

Old 06-07-2009, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishWSU View Post
I hope she figures it out soo, too! But I wonder about the advise of limiting her to 10 minutes per breast. If she is having latch/suck issues, then she is probably not effeciently removing milk from your breast and not getting to the higher calorie and high fat hindmilk in the 10 minutes. To me it would make more sense to allow her nurse until she drains one breast before switching her and/or then giving her the EBM. IDK, limiting the amount of time for nursing doesn't seem like it would help the problem.
She doesn't really transfer anything other than a dribble, leaving her on the breast until she empties it isn't possible, she'd never empty it. I think right now the idea is to make sure she gets time at the breast, but not for nutrional benefit. I was doing what you suggest before the current plan and Wednesday night she spent 6 hours fairly much solidly at the breast, yet on Thursday she weighed less than on Wednesday.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
Old 06-07-2009, 03:13 AM

i went through this exact same thing. dd was born at 37 weeks, was tongue tied (VERY tight frenulum), we had it clipped, she had to learn how to latch all over again the correct, i pumped and syringe fed her, she lost over a lb of birth weight, sleepy nurser, etc. i KNOW how hard it is, but after a couple of weeks and multiple visits to the mw with me and dd in tears, dd finally got latching down and became a more efficient nurser. she didn't let go of my breast for over 2 years after that . i'm sending : to you in hopes that things turn aorund and your little lady gets to latching and nursing well very soon.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:20 PM

and from another EPer.

pak now.

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
Old 06-07-2009, 07:27 PM

I went through utter hell with a tongue tied baby the first go-round so when our new son was born last week I inspected his frenulum and tongue right away and we snipped it ourselves ASAP. I'm sooo glad we did.

Anyway, just really wanted to send you a virtual , breastfeeding was in no way easy for me last time and that was sooo frustrating (and painful). You sound like you have it going on and that is very impressive! xo

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
Old 06-07-2009, 07:29 PM

What if you do breast compression while she's nursing?

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
Old 06-07-2009, 08:10 PM

I'm sorry, and I hope this works itself out quickly. I'm having BF issues too, totally different nature but boy it doesn't make these early days easy, does it...

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

Old 06-08-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
I'm sorry, and I hope this works itself out quickly. I'm having BF issues too, totally different nature but boy it doesn't make these early days easy, does it...

No, it really doesn't I struggled with so many different issues last time and it was really super hard for me to be surrounded by people who just never had a single issue and it all seemed like a natural thing for them. I remember wincing with every latch and crying at the prospect of every feeding and waiting WAY TOO LONG to get help. MAJOR HUGS to anyone struggling with early breastfeeding right now! Know that it does get better. At a certain point it take sheer determination to get through sometimes. Again, hugs!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish

User Tag List