Membrane stripping - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 03:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had my 41 week MW appointment, and asked the MW to strip my membranes. I have never had this done, but never been so ready to give birth at 41 weeks (I was much more laid back with DS and DD).

I was scared it would be painful, but it really wasn't bad. It took all of 3 minutes and was more uncomfortable and "pinchy" than painful.

I am at 3 cm and "0" station. I really don't know what 0 station means--but I think that means baby is as low as baby can go.

If anyone has any miracle membrane stripping stories (or any stories of stripping after 40 weeks), can you share?
#2 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 04:27 PM

I have a friend who was due 3 days behind me. She got her membranes stripped at 38 and 39 weeks, and gave birth yesterday at 39+4.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#3 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
I am at 3 cm and "0" station. I really don't know what 0 station means--but I think that means baby is as low as baby can go.
Just wondering, were you 3cm before she stripped the membranes, or did you dilate to 3 cm after?

I have no miracle story, sorry, but I'm starting to think about this procedure, too. Hang in there.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#4 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 05:11 PM

What exactly is membrane stripping? What is being removed? Mucous plug? I assume it's not the amniotic sac? Sorry. . . just can't picture what's being done
#5 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 05:16 PM

Well Voltige, stripping membranes is when a doctor sticks his hand into the uterus and separates the bottom of the amniotic sack from the walls of the uterus/cervix. It's supposed to release prostaglandins and thereby stimulate labor. I've heard it's incredibly painful, and personally I'm way too squicked by the idea of someone's HAND IN MY UTERUS!!!! to ever allow that to happen.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#6 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
Well Voltige, stripping membranes is when a doctor sticks his hand into the uterus and separates the bottom of the amniotic sack from the walls of the uterus/cervix. It's supposed to release prostaglandins and thereby stimulate labor. I've heard it's incredibly painful, and personally I'm way too squicked by the idea of someone's HAND IN MY UTERUS!!!! to ever allow that to happen.
That sounds awful I'd have to be pretty desperate to try that, I think.
#7 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
Just wondering, were you 3cm before she stripped the membranes, or did you dilate to 3 cm after?

I have no miracle story, sorry, but I'm starting to think about this procedure, too. Hang in there.
I was already at 3 cm. The only studies showing its effectiveness show that it ca be effective at 39+ weeks when a woman is already at least 1 cm, so the MW checked to make sure.

Honestly, I just feel a little desperate right now. It wasn't necessary, and the MW totally left it up to me. The funny thing is, I don't even know why I feel desperate. Physically, I am totally fine, but I have somehow come to a emotional wall that I have not experienced before.

I know some people would never have this done and some OB's do it routinely (without asking!), but I guess I am somewhere in the middle. It seems relatively non-evasive (as long as it is your choice) and low-risk (unless an insensitive or inexperienced care provider ruptures your membranes).

It basically involved your MW or Doc separating the membrane from your cervix, by running their finger around your cervix--kind of like separating a balloon from the inside of another balloon. Think pelvic exam with a rotating finger that lasts about 3-5 minutes. For me, it was not very painful at all--though not really fun--certainly not awful. It was better than getting my teeth cleaned or my eyes examined (I HATE having eye exams). But I know some women find it really painful and invasive. I suspect it may have something to do with your comfort/trust level with the person doing it also and it is appalling to me that a doc would do this without asking first.
#8 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 06:02 PM

I had it done with #2, I didn't find it to hurt that much, but it wasn't that effective either, I am pretty sure I had it done twice and he was 10 days late.

I did ask the MW to strip my membranes this time at 1 week overdue, but she couldn't even reach to do it, baby was - and is - too high. I definitely would have if I could have though, out of the possibility it would help.

Sewin earthlovin : Mama to my 8 yr old, 6 yr old and lil' baby : born 6/11/09.
:
#9 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 06:02 PM

I hope my comment wasn't insensitive I'm only at almost 38 weeks and still comfortable and emotionally okay I think as long as it's your decision it's fine- and I hope you are holding your babe soon!!

I was talking with DH last night and he asked about caster oil. I said I'd only try THAT if they were threatening to induce or cut me open to remove the baby. I think we all hit the WALL at some point- and it sounds like you are there. From that perspective, membrane stripping doesn't sound too bad.
#10 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
I hope my comment wasn't insensitive I'm only at almost 38 weeks and still comfortable and emotionally okay I think as long as it's your decision it's fine- and I hope you are holding your babe soon!!

I was talking with DH last night and he asked about caster oil. I said I'd only try THAT if they were threatening to induce or cut me open to remove the baby. I think we all hit the WALL at some point- and it sounds like you are there. From that perspective, membrane stripping doesn't sound too bad.
Oh, no! I completely understand your reaction--it could sound awful, and I think for some women it is. For me, it just wasn't a big deal, whereas touching my eyeball -- BIG DEAL.
#11 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 PM

0 station is great news That means the baby's head is engaged (which is judged in relation to the ischial spines on your pelvis). All negative numbers in regards to station (-3 -2 -1) refer to the baby being above your ischial spines and all positive numbers (+1 +2 +3) are below your ischial spines. I believe that +4 is on the perineum.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#12 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 06:35 PM

I had it done with my last and went into labor 2 days after I had it done!
#13 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
That sounds awful I'd have to be pretty desperate to try that, I think.
I agree with this completely. My mw doesn't even do checks (and if she offered I'd refuse). Someone sticking their finger into my uterus - no thanks!

OP: 0 station is not as low as baby can go. Baby starts at - stations, and then progresses to + stations. 0 station is basically right in the middle (meaning, in your pelvis but not in the birth canal). Babies can get to + stations before labor as well.

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#14 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 08:28 PM

Keep seeing this on new posts.

It's your CERVIX not your UTERUS that is being manipulated. They are breaking the seal between the bag of water and your cervix.

Sorry, that was bugging me. Leaving now.

Give more**Expect Less
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only bad clothing.
#15 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtherMother'n'Madre View Post
Keep seeing this on new posts.

It's your CERVIX not your UTERUS that is being manipulated. They are breaking the seal between the bag of water and your cervix.

Sorry, that was bugging me. Leaving now.
I'm familiar with the difference. To me, since the cervix is the opening to the uterus, when someone needs to sweep their fingers INSIDE my cervix to separate the bag of waters from it....that's my uterus. Call it what you will. I still don't want anyone's fingers up there.

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#16 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin' green View Post
I'm familiar with the difference. To me, since the cervix is the opening to the uterus, when someone needs to sweep their fingers INSIDE my cervix to separate the bag of waters from it....that's my uterus. Call it what you will. I still don't want anyone's fingers up there.
Seconded. Unless the bag of waters is sticking outside the cervix, to lift them from the cervix requires fingers INSIDE, and just..no. Yow.

#17 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Seconded. Unless the bag of waters is sticking outside the cervix, to lift them from the cervix requires fingers INSIDE, and just..no. Yow.
When I had mine done it hurt really bad. I will never do that again!
#18 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 09:10 PM

Barging from July - I had this done a few babies ago. I was 39 weeks, 3 cm dilated/80% effaced. (Reason being doc likes clotting patients on anticoagulants to deliver by 40w.) Baby was at -2 station (where he pretty much remained until I was complete and pushing, and eventually the doc ended up breaking my water - it seemed the sac was holding him back - though the doc later mentioned a short cord - but that's a story for another day).

Anyway, the membrane sweep lasted about 30 seconds or maybe even less, and hurt like the dickens (well, briefly; it's not like it's comparable to labor pain or anything!). A nurse held my hand though it was only afterward that I understood why she did that. From that moment forward, I was having menstrual-cramping type pain. I had slow contractions throughout the day and ended up in active labor in the middle of the night. I had an epidural with that birth, which I mention because I think it may slow things down a bit for me. He was born about 24 hours after the membrane sweep, about 8 hours of active labor. That was my second vbac.

For my first vbac, when I delivered my twins, baby A was at the 0+ station - like a half a cm past 0 - for weeks while I was on bedrest for preterm labor. I went into spontaneous labor following p-prom with that one, at 33w. I also had an epidural with that labor and it lasted about as long as the next one - about 8 hours total. I think 0 station is nice for putting good pressure on the cervix with contractions, though I didn't see much difference between the two labors (-2 station and 0 station), though now I wonder with the -2 labor whether the sac itself, which was eventually bulging of course, applied any pressure to the cervix during contractions or not.

ETA: With my third vbac, I had spontaneous labor at 38w and a fast/intense unmedicated birth. Depending on some other pregnancy complications (and of course I still have my clotting issue), if I make it to 39w this time I would definitely be open to the idea of the sweep. It was definitely not so bad that I wouldn't do it again in the right situation (and of course with someone who's experienced. The risk of breaking water, not sure how large it is, would be my only real concern. Then again, I'd rather even have that than a repeat section).

Good luck!!
#19 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 09:43 PM

At 41 weeks I can't say I wouldn't want that done. Heck I think I would take it now if offered, although it would make no difference for me anyway, so pointless really.

I understand others not wanting it done, but really, you are the momma and you are obviously within a decent gestation to make decisions. I understand just being DONE. I am SOOOO done and if there was anything I could do to get this little one out, I would.
#20 of 33 Old 06-08-2009, 11:24 PM

My sister had it done and she went into labor the next day (and had a good sized baby and natural child birth). She was right around her due date and dilated, can't remember the details of how far. They WERE pretty rough with her (I was there, and she almost fainted from the pain, sorry to freak anyone out) - some providers are definitely rougher than others and I'm sure you can ask them to be gentle.

I also had it done, it didn't hurt at all - but it also didn't do anything. I had the baby over a week later.

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#21 of 33 Old 06-09-2009, 12:04 AM

I had it done last pregnancy at 39 weeks (DH finagled a 10 day emergency leave pass from basic training so baby NEEDED to come) but it didn't do much, probably because my body wasn't ready. If I am dilated at my next appointment (on the 11th) I will probably let them do it just because I am done with this!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#22 of 33 Old 06-09-2009, 12:40 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I had it done 10 days ago and again today. Right now I am in early labor... we will see if it sticks. Wish me well.

What pregnancy does to my head: dizzy.gif
What new babies do for my heart:   treehugger.gif

#23 of 33 Old 06-09-2009, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangozulu View Post
My sister had it done and she went into labor the next day (and had a good sized baby and natural child birth). She was right around her due date and dilated, can't remember the details of how far. They WERE pretty rough with her (I was there, and she almost fainted from the pain, sorry to freak anyone out) - some providers are definitely rougher than others and I'm sure you can ask them to be gentle.

I also had it done, it didn't hurt at all - but it also didn't do anything. I had the baby over a week later.
Well, I am taking your poor sister's story and trying to think positive. I am sorry it was so painful for her, though.

I have been crampy and having bloody show since it was done, and having the only even slightly uncomfortable contractions I have had so far (besides one weird night at about 36 weeks, which I think was baby turning). Honestly, even if it takes three more days, I feel like I can deal now--I know this baby is coming soon. So for me, it was totally worth it, even if it only hastens labor by a day or two.

Cervix/uterus whatever. I'll take my midwife's finger in there any day if it can coax the ten fingers and toes that are in their now out.
#24 of 33 Old 06-09-2009, 04:54 PM

I had it done with #1 and would not do it again. It wasn't that painful, uncomfortable maybe, but when my mw did it she accidentally tore my bag of waters and I went through a whole induction that ended in a c-section. In my opinion, it was the stripping of membranes that did this. Obviously by baby and body were not ready for labor.

Kier: wife to Jared, mama to Emma ('05), Savannah ('07), and our newest little love Reid (June 30, '09) -intact because of all of YOU! I had an ecstatic birth, at home in the water!
#25 of 33 Old 06-09-2009, 05:26 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaMem View Post
I had it done 10 days ago and again today. Right now I am in early labor... we will see if it sticks. Wish me well.
Sorry to hijack your thread rivkah, but I got a message from MamaMem early this morning, and she was on her way to the birth center.: Wishing her well!! Looks like the membrane stripping worked for her!! I'm hoping it works for you too!!

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#26 of 33 Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

:

Yeah for MamaMem!
#27 of 33 Old 06-09-2009, 08:43 PM

Well, while it's something I can't imagine doing myself, I wanted to come and give you another story Rivkah!

My bro's girlfriend (41w3d) had her membranes stripped yesterday and went into labor last night - 10lb3oz baby girl! Maybe yours will start up soon!

#28 of 33 Old 06-10-2009, 12:36 AM

Quote:
wow if that were true it would be scary as heck! the tip of one finger is put through the cervix (you have to be dilated to at least 2 cm.) and the amniotic sack is separated from the neck of the cervix. it barely hurts~ sort of stings a little, takes about 30 seconds and for me~~ i had a baby 8 hours later!

joyful student mama to DS 2-05, open adoption birthmama to DD 5-07: and DS 6-98, crazy in love with DH, and loving our new baby boy! 7-09:!!
#29 of 33 Old 06-11-2009, 12:18 AM

Any update, rivkah?

Tracey, mama of 5 beloved children here with me on Earth and one precious son I will meet again in Heaven 6/17/09 - 9/6/09.

#30 of 33 Old 06-11-2009, 01:23 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmariev View Post
Sorry to hijack your thread rivkah, but I got a message from MamaMem early this morning, and she was on her way to the birth center.: Wishing her well!! Looks like the membrane stripping worked for her!! I'm hoping it works for you too!!
...and then it stopped. Seriously (I tried to message you yesterday and sent it to me instead. duh). BUT from Monday afternoon till Tuesday morning I dialated from 2maybe3cm to 4cm and stretchy beyond, from 60% effaced to 80% and baby engaged. They decided thatit was truly prodromal labor but was doing some awesome work. I was kind of disappointed but then was very ok bc I have a big baby and the more that happens before labor the less to do after active labor starts and I end up on a time line... You know?

They had me come back today to chek baby again and offered to strip again and I took them up. Currently having contractions that are going from 20 mintues to 10 mintues. Looking much better for active labor also.

And Rivkah, how are you? labor dust just in case you need it...

What pregnancy does to my head: dizzy.gif
What new babies do for my heart:   treehugger.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page