Two random Q?s - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, today I am 40 weeks. I thought the full moon would work, but it just didn't pan out. So now I am obsessing every minute about when this baby will come, which is exactly what my MW told me NOT to do because worrying/obsessing can keep the baby IN, she says.

So two questions that have been floating in my mind lately....

1. I have really regular, strong BH contractions. They can last for a looong time. So how will "real" contractions feel? Will the suddenly be shorter, i.e. 30-45 seconds? I am used to my belly being rock hard for a few minutes, and the BH are pretty intense. I thought labor started small and gradually increased in intensity. So will my contrax seem to back off, and then gain? (KWIM?)

2. DH and I have been trying to walk to move the baby down, hopefully get labor closer. And normally when we walk, I contract a lot. (I am assuming they're BH, although I call them ALL BH, because I have no clue.) But I can't walk very far before my lower back starts to KILL ME with an intense pain. (I have two bulging discs in my low back, so I think this is what this is.) HOW can I move around to get this baby out when I can only go around the block?!?!?! : (Maybe this one is more of a vent than a question.)

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#2 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 05:07 PM

I have constant BH contractions as well, and did with my previous pregnancy. I found the difference between BH and "real" contractions pretty obvious, although I can't tell you what it was now When I was in labor it was obvious.

Walking is difficult with constant BH. I know exactly what you mean. I don't do a lot of it, other than daily activities like shopping, cleaning, taking my son outside, etc. Baby will come out whether or not you can walk further than around the block
#3 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM

I"ve had lots and lots of BH and one "real" contraction. The "real" one was very different. All of a sudden my entire abdomen became rock hard and it hurt from the tightness (compared to say something pulling or menstrual cramps). I immediately needed to sit in a better position to be able to stand it, and then it stopped.

And didn't come back.

I can haz labor plz?

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#4 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
All of a sudden my entire abdomen became rock hard and it hurt from the tightness (compared to say something pulling or menstrual cramps).
This sounds like what I call BH. Then again, the degree of intensity can vary, and obviously there is no way to tell the diff between my "intense" contrax and yours. : Yes, I agree. Labor, please. That's really the only acceptable answer, right?

#5 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 05:49 PM

Sex is a great way to kick start things. Just saying.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#6 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltige View Post
I have constant BH contractions as well, and did with my previous pregnancy. I found the difference between BH and "real" contractions pretty obvious, although I can't tell you what it was now When I was in labor it was obvious.
: trust me... you will KNOW!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#7 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
2. DH and I have been trying to walk to move the baby down, hopefully get labor closer. And normally when we walk, I contract a lot. (I am assuming they're BH, although I call them ALL BH, because I have no clue.) But I can't walk very far before my lower back starts to KILL ME with an intense pain. (I have two bulging discs in my low back, so I think this is what this is.) HOW can I move around to get this baby out when I can only go around the block?!?!?! : (Maybe this one is more of a vent than a question.)
have you tried a birth ball? i can't walk too far either due to pubic symphisis, but sitting on the birth ball is supposed to be good for moving baby into the pelvis!

busy mama to four
: : : :
#8 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
Okay. If I have to. *sigh*

(This attitude is such a turn-on for DH, I'm sure.) I just can't get into it right now. My brain won't let me loosen up enough.

Is it a Really Bad Thing when the idea of taking castor oil is slightly more appealing than sex?

#9 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
: trust me... you will KNOW!
This is what my MW says, too. : It is so frustrating!!! How?!?!!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerin View Post
have you tried a birth ball? i can't walk too far either due to pubic symphisis, but sitting on the birth ball is supposed to be good for moving baby into the pelvis!
Yes, I have one but haven't done anything with it yet. Last check the baby was at zero station. Would it move the baby down more?

#10 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 06:05 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have loads of back problems, so walking would be out for me. What I can suggest, sounds a bit silly maybe but keeps you moving and still somewhat comfortable, is dancing in the shower. The hot water on your back helps relax muscles, and swaying hips can help baby wiggle their way down.
But, you said you have bulging discs, so maybe the heat won't help- you can always try ice packs strapped to your back with a scarf or something while you walk. Had to do that for a while some years back. Worth a shot.
I hope you find some relief soon, and that your LO decides to come out for you soon!

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#11 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
We had a nice, active weekend Not because I really wanted to get things started, but between DH's illness two weeks ago and my 'rhoids which have finally subsided a bit, we've not been intimate at all. It was really nice to feel to emotionally close again. I *did* have a few different twinges low in my pelvis after each encounter this weekend but nothing that made me think labor was going to start.
#12 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmariev View Post
I have loads of back problems, so walking would be out for me. What I can suggest, sounds a bit silly maybe but keeps you moving and still somewhat comfortable, is dancing in the shower. The hot water on your back helps relax muscles, and swaying hips can help baby wiggle their way down.
I was going to suggest swimming.

And I know this may sound a little dramatic, but to me a a "real-this-is-labor-contraction" is like having a vice applied to the middle or your abdomen along with the absolute worst menstrual cramps you've ever experienced times 100. Of course, I don't have very painful contractions before labor, so maybe I miss out on the strong BH, but my experience is along the "you will KNOW" lines.
#13 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 06:33 PM

I've heard the "you will know" so many times, including from my midwife. The thing is, with her last baby she didn't even know she was in labor for like 24 hours because they weren't progressing. I have a friend who didn't know she was in labor until an hour before the baby is born.

Personally, I want more than an hours notice.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#14 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
I've heard the "you will know" so many times, including from my midwife. The thing is, with her last baby she didn't even know she was in labor for like 24 hours because they weren't progressing. I have a friend who didn't know she was in labor until an hour before the baby is born.

Personally, I want more than an hours notice.
In retrospect I was probably in labor the entire day before my son was born. And I did NOT know. But I DID know when it was obvious- five hours before he was born. I hope I get more than an hour's notice this time as well Especially as DH works 2 hours away most days. I just don't think there is a clear way to describe what labor feels like- and most women DO know
#15 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 07:34 PM

Real contractions don't cause my belly to get hard. Braxton hicks do. Feeling a really sharp pain in my lower pelvis/abdomen that comes and go in a rythmn of sorts is more of the real thing. They make me go inwards, harder to breathe and feels like heavy menstrual cramping. My first time around i had braxton hicks all the time but when they were real i had to stop and breathe through them and it hurt, not in a tight way but a crampy menstrual way. There was a very distinct difference and i knew for sure. Personally if i was in labor for 24 hours without really knowing it then awesome because that is 24 hours down with no pain!
#16 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 07:38 PM

You'll know it's real labor because a baby comes out at the end?
#17 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 07:43 PM

I don't mean to scare you, but sometimes you really don't know if it's real or not. This is my fourth and I *think* I'm in labor right now. With my last child, my real contractions were exactly like my BH ones- only difference was that they were regular at 3 mins apart when I called the doctor and asked if I should come in. I asked because they really didn't hurt! She said no. I decided to go in anyway and by the time I got there I was in pain because they increased so much in intensity.

My second child I walked into L&D at 7 centimeters dilated, talking through contractions.

My first I felt like I had bad constipation and the pain started in my back and radiated to my front (everyone says this is what realy contractions feel like, but this is the ONLY labor where I felt it in my back at all).

Right now I feel like I did with my first- constipation and contractions that are getting stronger. So hopefully this is it for me!

As for when you're really in labor, contractions will get closer together and stronger as time goes on! Good luck!
#18 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauchamp View Post
This is what my MW says, too. : It is so frustrating!!! How?!?!!?
I felt the same way with DS1.. everyone told me that they felt stronger than menstrual cramps... well, they felt NOTHING like menstrual cramps, and I suddenly could not function with them. That is when I knew for sure that I was having real labor contractions.

But, I went from having menstrual like cramps to full-blown labor contractions every 2 mins, instantly... with nothing in-between.

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#19 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
With real ctx as opposed to BH for me, there is pain like period cramps (but much much stronger), and my chest gets really tight like someone is squeezing me. plus the whole belly going rock hard, and sometimes accompanied by back pain. different for everyone though.

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#20 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 07:48 PM

Yep, my midwife and my mom keep saying I'll know when it's the real thing.
I've personally experienced ones that are 1)just tightening where my abdomen gets rock hard but it doesn't hurt,
2)tightening where my abdomen gets rock hard and the whole thing cramps up and i have to get down on my hands and knees,
and 3)waves of what feels like bad period cramping.
Sometimes they go on for an hor or two and the only reason I ignore them is because they don't progress in intensity ykwim?
So, I'm super curious to see what the real thing is!

I second the birth ball suggestion, that's supposed to be real good for wiggling baby down into position.
I'm so sorry about your back pain!
#21 of 25 Old 06-08-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
I don't mean to scare you, but sometimes you really don't know if it's real or not. This is my fourth and I *think* I'm in labor right now.
It doesn't scare me. I'm just getting impatient, even though I had told myself I'd be "fine" about going a week or two over. Suddenly, I am *not* fine, and I am watching the clock. Bad! I hope you're in labor, and that it's easy and beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmariev View Post
different for everyone though.
Yeah. I know. *sigh* I guess I wanted to hear differently, even though I KNOW this is the deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplykate View Post
I've personally experienced ones that are 1)just tightening where my abdomen gets rock hard but it doesn't hurt,
2)tightening where my abdomen gets rock hard and the whole thing cramps up and i have to get down on my hands and knees,
and 3)waves of what feels like bad period cramping.
Sometimes they go on for an hor or two and the only reason I ignore them is because they don't progress in intensity ykwim?
So, I'm super curious to see what the real thing is!

I second the birth ball suggestion, that's supposed to be real good for wiggling baby down into position.
I'm so sorry about your back pain!
This sounds a LOT like me. Oh, the back pain is just...a pain in the butt. I think the big belly and boobs are straining my back. I'm mostly just cranky and grumpy. :

Someone mentioned (on another thread?) that the baby CAN go lower than zero station prior to labor. Is this true? If so, I'd get on the birth ball. Maybe I will switch out my desk chair for the birth ball tomorrow.

#22 of 25 Old 06-10-2009, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Maybe maybe maybe...this morning I woke up around 5:15 with a backache and contrax about 7 mins apart, quite a bit of consistent blood-tinged mucus (still).

The contrax are different from BH because they are down low and my back is killing me (so much so that it's hard to tell when one stops/starts)

I think I am starting! I'm scared! And I didn't get nearly enough sleep last night...get your rest mamas!!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 of 25 Old 06-10-2009, 02:04 PM

WooHoo! I hope it's the real thing!

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#24 of 25 Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM

No sleep is a sign your body is preparing. GOOD LUCK.
#25 of 25 Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thistles_in_Snow View Post
You'll know it's real labor because a baby comes out at the end?
:

I love this! I think that may be the only way to know.

I claim to have super short labors, but I strongly suspect I am in labor much longer than I actually realize it. My grandmother is famous for having her second child born in the toilet. Obviously, she was in labor, but just didn't realize it, I guess. On the other hand, I hear stories about people being in labor for 2-3 days, and sometimes it sounds like the first 24-48 hours are really what I'd call "labor." So I guess the whole "everyone is different" line is all we can really count on.

Personally, I'd be happy not knowing until the last minute and the shortest labor possible. It ain't too much fun, folks. Having a baby in your arms--much more fun.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page