Anyone not doing any interventions for labor? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 06-08-2009, 08:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Anyone planning on just letting baby decide when to come (unless medically necessary of course)? I'm not due for another 2.5 weeks, but fully prepared to go to 42 or more. Just looking for other mamas to chat with!

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#2 of 34 Old 06-08-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin' green View Post
Anyone planning on just letting baby decide when to come (unless medically necessary of course)? I'm not due for another 2.5 weeks, but fully prepared to go to 42 or more. Just looking for other mamas to chat with!
I was due yesterday, not doing anything to speed stuff along. Since its my first I was pretty sure I'd go late anyway (plus, I'm still too comfortable I think !)

I get an u/s next monday though to check amniotic fluid level, if its low they'd induce. And then if I hit 42wks they'd induce as well. So hoping it doesn't come to that!

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#3 of 34 Old 06-08-2009, 09:15 PM

I need this baby to stay in until I'm done a 10 day herbal protocol for GBS so I'm definitely not doing anything any time soon. I'd be OK with going past 42 weeks, but at that point my midwives can't attend me at home any more so I'll need to decide at that point if I'm willing to try and help move things along. At least I'm very sure of my dates, so I don't worry about the baby not really being as far along as we think.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#4 of 34 Old 06-08-2009, 09:19 PM

Yep... same here. I was induced (for no good reason, I was stupid) with DS at 40w4d so I expect this one to go "over" too. I don't plan on doing anything, just exercising my patience!

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#5 of 34 Old 06-08-2009, 09:20 PM

What do you consider interventions?

I'm not doing anything with the intention of starting labor. . . but DH and I have been having some fun recently. Does that count?

Other than that. . . no. I won't allow cervical checks or anything at my appointments. If I go past 41 weeks though I think the birth center starts requesting non stress tests, etc. They also push the caster oil if I make it to 42 weeks- before inducing medically. I don't think it will come to that. I hope!
#6 of 34 Old 06-08-2009, 09:25 PM

no way! when you try and rush things/intervene is when they get all screwed up. I learned my lesson with my first: had my water broken, which caused his head to be "sucked" (for lack of a better word) down into the pelvis sideways contrax were irregular b/c it wasn't time yet, pitocin, epidural, trying to push for 2 hrs when you can't feel anything below the chest, and again his head was turned sideways=cesarean=a whole lot of trouble and PPdepression. No thanks! Baby #2 came at home on her own time and was trouble free as a result. Baby #3 can come whenever/however he/she wants and not a minute sooner.
#7 of 34 Old 06-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Not doing a thing!

I had a c-section after a failed induction with dd - so OBVIOUSLY my body doesnt handle being forced well. No EPO, No castor oil...nada.
#8 of 34 Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 PM

i am not doing anything except going with the flow. this baby will come when good and ready!
#9 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 12:58 AM

nope, not doing anything at all!
#10 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 04:24 AM

Other than drinking lots of RRL tea and other things to prep the body...I haven't crossed the point of doing anything do "induce" labor. I will definitely be patient until my MW thinks it is time to intervene. I have 100% confidence in my MW...I am going to walk up some hills kinda quickly today though.

40 weeks today!
#11 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 05:29 AM - Thread Starter

Nope, I don't count "fun" as an intervention (though some might disagree based on their reluctance to join in the fun haha!) For us, not doing it to get anything going - it had been a couple of weeks the other day, so......

I'm also drinkign RRL, but part of that is that I don't drink coffee (can't even stand the smell), I drink lots of tea when not preggo, and switching to RRL just made sense (and caffeine free).

I haven't had any checks, not doing EPO, won't have membranes stripped, no accu, nada. I feel like she knows when she's ready so who am I to try and rush her? I was induced with my son and I honestly think he wasn't ready to be born for various reasons. I'm homebirthing, and I have no idea what protocol even is if I get really late. My mw delivers tons of Amish though, so I'm thinking she probably just keeps a close eye and lets you go? I might ask at my next appt.

It's nice to have a group of us here. I guess I've just been a little surprised at the number of inductions/interventions I'm seeing here on mdc. I started to think I was the only one doing nothing and that surprised me (considering how mainstream I used to be!)

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

#12 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 08:45 AM

Nope, not doing anything either (I dont even get to try sex-my DP is in Iraq!) My last baby came at 41w2d so while I was hoping this one would be a little earlier, I'm not holding my breath on it. I'm now 40w2d and so far nothing. I'm perfectly fine waiting until she's ready to come. I'm actually kind of hoping she waits a few more days now-my MW broke her foot on Friday. I'm sure a few more days of recovery would be nice for her.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#13 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 09:36 AM

Not doing anything! I'm actually avoiding sex until my son is done with the chickenpox, though, just in case. I'm getting acupuncture for other reasons, but I certainly won't ask him to stimulate any labor points. It's exciting to me to let baby come when he's ready! Last time we got a lot of pressure, and that wasn't fun.

Mama to two sweet boys, a 7yo superhero.gif and a toddler coolshine.gif.

The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. - Albert Einstein

#14 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 09:47 AM

not your ddc but i had to post b/c 3 of my irl friends are pg and we recently discussed this same thing. b/c of my experience when DS was born next time i get pg we will be having a homebirth with a midwife. all three of my friends were telling me that they would never want to do the 'mid wife' thing b/c they want to do things the normal way. they want drugs since it hurts and there is no way they are going over forty weeks. i was starting to feel like a nutcase for not wanting any drugs or interventions unless medically necessary. you all reminded me that i am not actually that crazy...
#15 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM

I don't want to do anything, but I am not exactly sure what the protocol is here if I go past 42 weeks. I haven't gotten that far with the midwives yet. I am pretty sure I won't be able to have an attended homebirth after that point, but I don't know if I have to transfer to an OB or what. I am really hoping that it doesn't come to that! I'm only 37 weeks right now, so I have a little time yet. But, anyway, I am not planning on doing anything unless it looks like Baby or I have some type of medical problem. (Knock on wood that we won't!)

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#16 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goin' green View Post
ok, i have to be honest. YES, this is my plan, BUT as i am only 39w tomorrow and still feeling good, i can't say how i will be feeling in another two weeks, kwim? i am with a D.O. who has said he wouldn't press me to induce before 42 weeks, but still he IS a doctor and i will be delivering in a hospital, and i know how those things can sometimes converge against you before you know it. i also happen to be one of the lucky ones who has had 2 pit inductions (one totally natural labor in between the two ) and things have not gone horribly wrong like you hear in other induction stories. in fact, my 9lb7oz ds was a pit induction and was by far my easiest and fastest labor and delivery.

HOWEVER, knowing that in all likelihood this IS my last baby and just knowing that i CAN do this, i would really really like to give my body the opportunity to do it's thing all on it's own! i guess that's the long way of saying, right now, i am not planning any interventions, but that i also know that it could be a rough 3 weeks emotionally and i can't guarantee i'll still be strong then. hopefully, this thread will help there!

busy mama to four
: : : :
#17 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 01:26 PM

I don't do interventions. I do like to have sex when I think that the baby is ready. I don't think that is an intervention. I think that is a normal thing to help with labor. (for the sperm and the stimulation)

Actually, I am a dog breeder and when my females are in labor, they lick their vulva's all day! lol

Andee
(due June 3rd, felt the baby moving way down this weekend, had sex this morning and it looks like we are going to have a baby soon!)
#18 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 08:30 PM

I don't plan on doing anything, but if I go to 43 weeks my options are UC or hospital; neither of which I'm comfortable with. So if I make it past 42 weeks, then I'll try sex and nipple stimulation. If those don't work, then I'll see if my chiropractor can do anything, or try a massage or acupuncture Unless of course I'm having lots of prodromal labor, then I'l not going to worry too much.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#19 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not judging, btw. I find the intereventions here surprising, just given where we are. But, I also know how miserable one can be at the end of preganancy (I was there at 36 weeks last time...induced at 38). This time, I'm 38 on Friday and feeling pretty darn good overall!

My bro's girlfriend was due on May 29th or so? Anyway, she was 41w3d yesterday I think and she had her membranes stripped. She ended up going into labor last night and gave birth....to a 10lb 3oz baby girl!!! And fwiw, stories like this make me think interventions sure do serve a purpose, kwim? I can't even begin to imagine a baby that large!!!

#20 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 10:49 PM

I didn't plan on it. I thought for sure I'd be induced but baby had other plans and I am so thankful! I have more confidence in my body now, that's for sure. I had never gone into labor on my own before.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#21 of 34 Old 06-09-2009, 11:04 PM

Intervention free is the game plan here. I've had two full inductions, one partial induction and one natural birth. With this one, my last, I am determined to be a fully natural, intervention free, no induction at all birth. I might change my mind at 42 weeks, but as of right now I'm not expecting anything to happen with this baby for at least another two weeks. There is still ten days til my due date and Bun is happy where s/he is for now.
#22 of 34 Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 PM

My "plan" is to have an "oops" UC... however, since I'm a T1 diabetic, I have a deadline of 40w3d. My induction is scheduled for that day. My OB will break the waters and not do anything else unless I ask for it. Usually when my water is broken I'm in full-blown labor within 20 minutes, so I'm not worried too much about other interventions that can happen.

Though, I'm really praying that the baby decides to come on his own a couple days before June 24th (the induction date).

DH and I are DTD quite often these days. I had a cervical check today though (I'm 38w3d today) and am 1 cm but my cervix is hiding behind my pubic bone and baby is still way high up. I don't think I'll be in labor anytime soon...
#23 of 34 Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM

I am due June 25th and am going all natural without interventions, inductions medications or even a hospital. I am actually birthing at The Farm with some world renowned midwives.

I'll tell ya though, I am so uncomfortable and ready to be done that I totally understand how some ladies go for induction or scheduled c-section!

The home stretch is quite uncomfortable and trying as I am now experiencing. Oy.
#24 of 34 Old 06-10-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMomToBe View Post
I am due June 25th and am going all natural without interventions, inductions medications or even a hospital. I am actually birthing at The Farm with some world renowned midwives.

I'll tell ya though, I am so uncomfortable and ready to be done that I totally understand how some ladies go for induction or scheduled c-section!

The home stretch is quite uncomfortable and trying as I am now experiencing. Oy.
That rocks that you will be at The Farm - I can't wait to read your birth story!!

As for me, honestly I feel great and I am 39+2 today. I have no inclination towards any interventions - in fact I *want* to go past my EDD - I have plans to relax next week. Baby looks good, I feel good - no rush.

I have to admit, that I too have been a little suprised at some of the "rush" I have seen here, but I have no judgement because I feel good and if I felt poorly then I might feel differently. Here's to letting baby come on his birthday!

Beth, Mama to my two nurslings, DD 2.22.07 and DS 6.20.09 Worn, Intact, CD, Unvaxed, Born at Home!
#25 of 34 Old 06-11-2009, 05:35 AM

Hmmm . . . I'm still undecided. I don't want to have my membranes stripped, but I think I may try herbs or oral supplements (not castor oil, though) or even acupuncture. I'll post this in the membrane stripping thread, but I had my membranes stripped at 38 wks last time (OB didn't ask me, just did it), which led to uncomfortable contractions all that day. I was already 4 cm before I was stripped, and didn't have my baby until a week and a day later. Soooo . . . it didn't work for me, and the OB said it wouldn't unless I was actually ready to go anyway.

I won't have any more vaginal checks. Last week Tues. I was 3 cm and very soft, OB says she doesn't think I'll go late. I'm planning on a homebirth, so I don't even think I'm going back to the OB after today anyway.

I wouldn't mind DTD though . . .

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#26 of 34 Old 06-11-2009, 02:14 PM

I didn't do anything and I was prepared to wait until 42+ weeks before considering any interventions. Baby was born at 40w3d or 39w2d depending on which EDD you use. But I made wit with no interventions, not even 1 provider vaginal exam. It was awesome, the birth was awesome. And I'm glad for the lessons in patience and faith.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#27 of 34 Old 06-11-2009, 04:45 PM

I'm not doing anything except DTD!

Mama to 2 year old and :: June 14th!
#28 of 34 Old 06-11-2009, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaMomToBe View Post

That is awesome! How far away is that from Indiana?

I really, really, really want to let the baby come when it's ready. I hate that the law is forcing me to make a choice when I don't like any of the options.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#29 of 34 Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggirayne View Post
I'm not doing anything except DTD!
Well, okay, we did that and it did lead to labor but I really hoping it wouldn't. It really was for the sake of connecting with my husband and expressing love for each other; it was by no means intended to get things started.

M.Ed. Mama to Chunka (1/07), Beauty (5/09) and Elizabear 3/12): Birth Doula (working toward certification) AAMI Midwifery Student, Advocating with Solace for Mothers & The Birth Survey

#30 of 34 Old 06-11-2009, 06:02 PM

Just sitting and waiting...other than as someone mentioned "hving fun with hubby" - which is about having fun before I'm out of commision for a little while not making baby show up.
My first two were at 38w 2d and 38 w even- no induction tactics either...other than walks in the evening and sex, which weren't intended as induction techniques.
I will be 38 w tomorrow, so I feel ready because of history, but I really want this lo to pick his or her perfect birthday, so I am resisting the temptation to do anything other than try to keep baby in a good birthing position

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page