Early Labor? First time mama needs you... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no idea what to expect or if *gasp* I'll even know when the time has come. I am a frist timer who is really paying attention to those early labor signs and noting all the new feelings and observations here.

I am 38 weeks today and in 2 days I'll be off to stay with my midwife at her birthing cabin, when I get there I'll be more secure and lex anxious but for now I am stressing.

My tailbone is killing me. Major anal pressure, stabbing in what feels like my cervix, some aching in my lower abdomen, tightening, back ache, shooting pains down the inner groin/ thigh... I bloogged about all the graphic details here.

I am wondering, am I in early labor? How long do I have to go? What if my water doesn't break to give me a "labor is here" heads up? Will I really know I am in labor? I started dilating and loosing my mucus plug about a week ago.

I am not real sensitive to pain and have no doubt been uncomfortable but nothing has stopped me dead in my tracks like ladies say it will. Can you share your early labor signs and symptoms? I would love to compare notes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 PM

My water didn't break until I was pushing with both of my births, so don't expect that as an early indicator. With my first I didn't realize I was having contractions until it was pointed out to me. My contractions started out feeling like I needed to pee really, really badly but when I went to the bathroom I didn't have to pee. This went on for about 5 hours before my exDH asked if I was actually having contractions and that's when it finally dawned on me that that's what was going on. So, nothing that really stopped me in my tracks either.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#3 of 7 Old 06-12-2009, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter

Lots of ladies have said the same thing and that is what worries me a bit. How long was your labor once you figured out you were having contractions?
#4 of 7 Old 06-12-2009, 12:15 AM

Well, from first contraction (looking back after I realized what they were) to baby was about 17 hours. I had the "feel like i need to pee" contractions for most of my labor-they just got closer together but never really increased in intensity. By about 14 hours into labor they picked up to every 2-3 minutes and got to the point where I needed to concentrate and breath through them.

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#5 of 7 Old 06-13-2009, 02:48 AM

I'm preg. w/ #4, and I'm having those same symptoms as you, but they come and go. When you're in *active* labor, you will know it. The sensations you feel are more intense, usually all around the belly/back and not just in the front. You know that it's real when you change positions and things still stay consistent and when things continue at a somewhat regular pace for over an hour. I think the usual rec. is contractions come every 3-4 min for over an hour. Then you know it's the real deal. For me, several times a day it seems, I have times where I'm like "that felt different/more/real" and it goes on for a bit and I have a few contractions or sensations of whatever it is, and then I get up or move or it just stops. So I know it's not the real thing.

with my first, my water broke first, and I started contracting and I thought those were the real deal, and yes they were regular, but all day long I had them and about 12-14 hrs later my mw's came to check me, and I was still very "happy". I started pumping w/ a breastpump and instantly I felt like "OH!!! I see what strong contractions feel like!" It was instantly "more".

Anyway, I'm rambling of course. I'm just saying that you will know when it comes. And you'll do fantastic! And hey, if you can ignore the annoying early labor stuff, then that saves your mental and physical energy for the active labor stuff.

I want to hear about this birth cabin deal--sounds awesome! Are you far away and that's why you go stay before the birth? Good luck and have fun!!
#6 of 7 Old 06-13-2009, 02:52 AM

oh, and I wanted to add that w/ my second baby, I just "knew". It was so obvious. For the past week or so, every night I'd get woken up by contractions, and it was really annoying. Then one night, I woke up and knew that one was different. I waited and had a couple more and I just "knew"--it was so crazy! They just felt totally different. And when they picked up and didn't fizzle out, that was the for sure sign. It's so crazy how we have to play the wait and see game and we have NO idea how things will play out! I'm here the fourth time around and it's still driving me nuts!!
#7 of 7 Old 06-13-2009, 01:39 PM

I just had my first two weeks ago, and I knew when I was in labor. My water never broke (the dr. broke it when I was about 8 cm dilated) and I never lost my mucus plug. I woke up about 5 in the morning with a contraction. I wasn't sure at that point whether the contractions would continue, but they did and by about 11 am I knew it would be that day.

I wouldn't worry too much about knowing, I think most women figure out pretty quicky that they are in labor! Even if you didn't, it would probably be something of a blessing, to be laboring and not even realize it, YK?

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page