more nausea questions - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so still laboring at home, contractions now about 6min apart, slow going but its actually kind of nice, just hanging out quilting while the mr. decided to cook everything he can in the house for later on

but I just got overwhelmed w/ nausea and threw up the small amount I had this morning (just fruit) and was wondering how odd this is? should I avoid eating anything else? I figure I have a while left and not eating all day can't be great, but throwing up SUCKS. And is so tiring!

Would it make sense to stick to smoothies or something?

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#2 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 02:41 PM

Totally normal! Just eat whatever you can that sounds appealing - I did a lot of brothy type soup with dd. You're doing great!

Beth, Mama to my two nurslings, DD 2.22.07 and DS 6.20.09 Worn, Intact, CD, Unvaxed, Born at Home!
#3 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 02:43 PM

I think it's really common, but still important to eat whatever you can. Try popsicles, and bland stuff that won't disturb your stomach too much.

Good luck!! It sounds like things are really progressing for you!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#4 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

ok! maybe it was just too much fruit at once (two plums, some cherries, and a peach)

some soup or popsicles sound good! I should probably be drinking more water as well, that might help.

thanks! this early part is much different than I was expecting, longer than I had pictured, but more pleasant as well

#5 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 02:58 PM

I would actually go the other way and eat something with more substance to help keep things down. Think the brat diet. Bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast. You need energy for later and you want to make sure you keep your blood sugar up. I would have maybe some scrabbled eggs and toast (dry or just a litle bit of jelly). I would eat some peanut butter, maybe some rice, I like it with soy sauce. Stuff like that.

Honestly, while in labor and I was getting puky (totally normal), my midwife let and encouraged me to have a cheese burger. it was what I was wanting,b ut had protein that would help keep up my energy.
#6 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrogger View Post
I would actually go the other way and eat something with more substance to help keep things down. Think the brat diet. Bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast. You need energy for later and you want to make sure you keep your blood sugar up. I would have maybe some scrabbled eggs and toast (dry or just a litle bit of jelly). I would eat some peanut butter, maybe some rice, I like it with soy sauce. Stuff like that.

Honestly, while in labor and I was getting puky (totally normal), my midwife let and encouraged me to have a cheese burger. it was what I was wanting,b ut had protein that would help keep up my energy.
I was going to say the same thing, especially if things are going slowly at the moment. Not eating and low blood sugar can create a vicious nausea cycle, as can being dehydrated. Bone broth would be very good, if you have some on hand. Coconut water, etc. Try to eat something with substance, protein, if you can stomach it.

I dreaded the pukes in labor, but fortunately it only lasted a short while. I hope this phase passes for you as well!

I'm so excited for you!!
#7 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 03:02 PM

Goodluck I know you will do amazing! I will be thinking of you today.

From this Saturday's puker/ new mama:Puke

Me (Mischa) and DH (Adam) 30, together since 2002
Middle of the road gal, open to new ideas
DS (Colben) June/09 by M/W, #2 due June/11
#8 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

hah, well I ended up going the 'substantial' route anyway - despite having just thrown up, the nausea completely subsided and I was starving, so part of the mr.'s recently made egg/spinach/quiche like thing just HAD to be eaten so at least got some protein, etc.

it won't be fun if it comes back up I admit but it tasted good for right now

#9 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 03:59 PM

Sorry for the nausea, but I'm so excited for you! I will say that I always feel really nauseated if my blood sugar levels drop, so hopefully by eating something it will help keep your nausea at bay.

Mama to my sweet girl born at home 6/09
#10 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 07:04 PM

:

Sounds like you are going to have a baby soon!

I always get nauseous in labor--especially towards the end. Stay hydrated, and you will be ok.
#11 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

soon, but man, this early stage is taking a while I'm glad I didn't head to the hospital too soon!

I seemed to be able to keep down everything I ate after that, so not sure what was going on w/ that one bout of nausea!

Ctx are now between 5-6min apart, 40seconds or so, and stronger (feel more in my hips especially) so I'm guessing we'll head to the hospital in a few hours or so, not sure. They definitely are much stronger when I'm up and moving around, Ill have a few right in a row, and then when I sit down on the ball it subsides for a while and then starts back up again w/ the 5-6min breaks. So not quite as uniform as I had thought, but sounds normal though.

#12 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
soon, but man, this early stage is taking a while I'm glad I didn't head to the hospital too soon!

I seemed to be able to keep down everything I ate after that, so not sure what was going on w/ that one bout of nausea!

Ctx are now between 5-6min apart, 40seconds or so, and stronger (feel more in my hips especially) so I'm guessing we'll head to the hospital in a few hours or so, not sure. They definitely are much stronger when I'm up and moving around, Ill have a few right in a row, and then when I sit down on the ball it subsides for a while and then starts back up again w/ the 5-6min breaks. So not quite as uniform as I had thought, but sounds normal though.
This may be your last chance to rest for a while, so if you are not going to the hospital soon, I would try to lie down "sleep" in between contractions. If you are still able to use a computer, I can see why you are hanging out at home for a bit longer, but 5-6 minutes apart is getting close!
#13 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 07:46 PM

:: Thinking about you and hope everything is going well!!!
#14 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
This may be your last chance to rest for a while, so if you are not going to the hospital soon, I would try to lie down "sleep" in between contractions. If you are still able to use a computer, I can see why you are hanging out at home for a bit longer, but 5-6 minutes apart is getting close!
yeah, I did try that, actually, for a few hours this afternoon - what's odd is lying down seems to be stronger than on the ball! So I went back to on the ball. I'm both quilting, watching Mad Men, and occasionally typing

#15 of 15 Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 PM

Where's the "waiting impatiently" smiley? I need to post one here!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page