After a super tough labor Z is finally here! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 04:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, I spent 72 hours in labor w/ Z (a boy! 7lbs, 9oz, 21in) he's adorable even though he made labor a BIT TOUGH. Born Thursday, June 18, 934pm.

So my threads from before, folks know I went into labor Monday night and had the same light labor all tuesday, but ctx at some point hit 5min and were getting pretty hard to talk through so we figured we'd head to the hospital. I was also throwing up even water which made me think I was further along than I was I guess.

so his head was I think a bit malpositioned at first giving me massive hip pain that is what was making the ctx so painful (so not useful pain) but also keeping me from dilating effectively (my contractions they called 'dysfunctional' since when I got to the hospital, since they were every 5min but w/ these little aftershocks and weird delays occasionally) so when we went to the hospital Tuesday night I was only 2cm though 80% effaced, so some progress. So actually normally they'd have sent me back home but they wanted me on an IV due to all the throwing up. So they put me on Zofran.

so I labored Tuesday night into Wednesday and only got to 4cm, still with this massive hip pain and weird ctx that they thought might move the baby into a better position but didn't. I tried all the tricks in the books for repositioning, laboring on my side, laboring hands and knees, and nothing. Wed night the doc offered us a few options, I ended up taking the morphine sleep so that I could at least get some rest which I waffled about but was so exhausted couldn't think of what else to do.

So we slept maybe 5 hours wed night w/ that. Thurs Am, still 4cm. (contractions continue when you are on morphine, but given that they weren't effective, they still weren't, so no change in dilation) Z seemed to be in a much better position, so hip pain was better, but contractions still 'irregular' and 'dysfunctional' so they recommend a low dose of pitocin, which they ramp really slowly so that works. Labor 'effectively' all day though, much stronger contractions w/ Z in a better position, my water (sort of, a high leak) broke at 4pm, so I figured I was doing well. Thurs night at 6pm I was only 6cm. I was ready to really give up, get an epidural since I was SO exhausted (I was mostly using birth stool, ball, etc, so very active.)

My mom had been there since Wednesday and convinced me to try for a few more hours, since during the cervical exam where i was only 6cm they broke the bag of waters a bit more in an extreme way (I was merely leaking a lot, they really popped it)

And then labor did finally pick up I guess. All of a sudden I was needing to wail and such to get through contractions. So I went from 6cm to 9cm in like and hour and a half. By 730 I was feeling the urge to push, but was only 9.5 so I had to 'hold back' which is TOUGH (pant through the pushing urge) Finally ironically my doc that I like comes on shift at 8pm, so she checked me at 830, and was finally 10cm. So pushing time. I pushed for about an hour in some odd positions but it was working. Z was born at 9:34pm, 7lb 9oz. 21in. At that point I was so distracted by the labor process it was hard to even realize why I was doing it! I was so tired and out of it it took me a while to realize it was over. And that I had a baby boy

we are a bit exhausted needless to say. My MIL was also there starting Thursday AM which was cool. The nurses kept saying I had a great birth team. Given the weird hip pain, they were there to help get into all sorts of odd positions, let the mr. rest when he needed to, etc.

so woo-hoo! What's funny is during labor for those three days Z was SUPER active, all the nurses kept saying how odd it was for a baby to be that active during labor (he kept throwing off the monitors by moving around too much) and now he's out like a frikking light. He's adorable! Lots of black hair He looks like the mr. for sure.

We are still at the hospital but hopefully will head home sat or so.

so not quite as unmedicated as I wanted (morphine and pitocin) but was odd that even after they 'kickstarted' labor and Z was finally in a good position and I was contracting in a better pattern, they tried to dial it back and I would stop ctx effectively gain. Its like my uterus never quite figured it out. My mom actually helped me before we took the pitocin w/ other remediies (nipple stimulation, walking around more, etc) which did *sort* of work but not well enough or consistently. So I ended up taking the pitocin. It just makes me wonder why the ctx were so odd. I though it was head position, but once that was fixed I figured they'd be fine, but no such luck! If and when I have a second kid this might be something to try and figure out I guess.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#2 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 05:36 AM

Congratulations! : What an amazing birth story! You were so strong through all of it - I don't know if I could labor that long! Great job, mama, enjoy your new one!

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#3 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 06:36 AM

YAY!!!!! CONGRATS!!:::

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#4 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 07:30 AM

Yay! Welcome baby Z! I *still* need to write up my birth story...I am impressed you wrote all that already! Go Mama! :::

Isn't it crazy - not pushing when your body wants to? I had this experience this time and it was such a crazy-weird-going-against-everything-that-your-body-wants-to-do sensation...when I read that part of your story I was brought right back.
#5 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 08:37 AM

:

Wow. What a story! You are one tough mama, for sure! Congratulations, and I can't wait to see pics of Z!
#6 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 09:04 AM

Congrats and welcome baby Z!

Beth, Mama to my two nurslings, DD 2.22.07 and DS 6.20.09 Worn, Intact, CD, Unvaxed, Born at Home!
#7 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM

Wow!! Good for you and baby Z! Congratulations!! :

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

#8 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 12:00 PM

Yay! Congratulations!!! And don't worry about being "medicated". You did GREAT through a very tough labor! I'm proud of you, mama!!! :
#9 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 12:10 PM

YAY!!! Congratulations and welcome baby Z!! :

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#10 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 12:27 PM

Congratulations and great job! :

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#11 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 02:08 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
YAY seafox!: And welcome baby Z!! I was so hoping to hear from you soon! I'm sorry it was so intense, but glad everyone is ok! YAY- no more waiting for baby!!!! ::

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#12 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 04:12 PM

congrats!:

Doula, Wife and mom to A (11/23/01) and O (5/7/09)
#13 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 04:43 PM

:

Amazing. I hope you sleep for three days straight--at lest do NOT get out of bed for at least 3 days.
#14 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 05:37 PM

YAY Seafox!!! That is such an awesome, amazing birth story! Seriously - you rock for what you did. There are reasons for using pitocin, and yours sounds like a perfect one. And even through all that and days of labor - no epidural? You're a rock star - seriously!

Congrats!!! :::

SAHM CrossFitting mama to DS (6) and DD (3) and surprise #3 due in September!  winner.jpg familybed1.gif homebirth.jpg

***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36*heartbeat.gif*40**

#15 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 06:19 PM

Congratulations!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#16 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 09:13 PM

Wow! You win the Birth Warrior award, for sure! I hope you get a chance to rest and don't have any more challenges with this little guy for a while.

FWIW, no two births are alike and #2 may shoot right out... happened to me after a long, hard first birth.
#17 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

I do hope if I do have a second birth its a bit different it was discouraging to hear 'dysfunctional' w/ regard to my contractions!

and I almost went ahead and got the epidural thursday night after hearing it took me from monday to thursday to go 6cm. I was SO discouraged at that point and so tired. My mom convinced me to try just a bit longer.

amazingly I still haven't slept. I am still on some sort of birth adrenalin Z's latch wasn't great at first and every few hours I want to keep that up, etc. But the attempts were long and sometimes futile so I wanted to keep trying until we got a good feed in. And we had some visitors today, etc. But tonite Ill try and get some sleep in between feedings I think! His last feed went very quick. I think he's a bit fussy w/ feeding since he did have a lot of mucous/blood still in his belly.

here is a pic, Z (zephyros, I think we are finally agreed on this! the mr. is very greek ) a day after birth:

zephyros

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#18 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 10:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Your son is beautiful! And what a wonderful name!

DD1 6/2009 DD2 5/1/2013-5/5/2013 (HIE) DS 3/2014
#19 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 10:48 PM

What a darling picture! Your story is so inspiring!

After my first birth, I definately had some insomnia. I think it is something about the adrinaline and all. I hope you can get some good rest while your family is still around to help out!
#20 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Oh mama he is beautiful!! And what a strong name! I love it!! Get some rest, and I am truly in awe of you for being so strong!!

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#21 of 25 Old 06-19-2009, 10:49 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wow! That's a long labor!

I had a similar head position issue that made my labor longer and harder than previous labors, although it wasn't nearly as bad as yours! Just know that every labor is different. I've had 3, and only had the weird head position with this one (we think he had his arm up on his forehead and was asynclitic, but he fixed his position at some point and came out normal... had a bruise on his forearm and a caput off to the side to suggest the weird positioning).

Baby Z is adorable!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#22 of 25 Old 06-20-2009, 06:31 PM

I also want to chime in to say not to put too much clout on "dysfunctional" contractions. They were doing something mama! Just not something according to the doctor's schedules. It's like what most doctors say about Braxton Hicks or "practice" contractions-- but anything that's moving and shaking (and causing so much pain!) is certainly helping you move along your labor path.

My first labor was very much like yours, and I opted for the epi after only 36 hours. You are an amazing and strong mama to have labored for so long and hard! And when you got to that second stage of labor your cervix moved quick-- so I wouldn't worry about next time. First time mama's frequently have a very long first stage of labor as their body gets organized and learns its job.

And just so you know, my second labor was a fast and furious four hours so I wouldn't let those "what if" labor fears linger in your head. Also, I find it very funny that you are already thinking about "next time" woohoo!

Congrats on that beautiful baby
#23 of 25 Old 06-20-2009, 07:22 PM

Congrats!!! He's adorable!!

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#24 of 25 Old 06-20-2009, 09:50 PM

congratulations, mama! what an amazing experience! welcome, Z!

busy mama to four
: : : :
#25 of 25 Old 06-22-2009, 01:29 AM

Yay for the adorable Baby Z :: and omg you are amazing Seafox!! I know how much you have been through to get to this point and it makes me weepy to finally hear you are holding your sweet little boy. Congrats mama, you did it!!!! ::

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page