Birth in the Car! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mark Victor decided to make his appearance on Monday, June 22, while we were in the car!

So here is the story. On Sunday (Father's Day), we had a great day taking it easy. That evening, we watched the weather report, and it said we were in for a week of record temperatures and humidity. All I could think was that it was going to be a miserable week to be 9-months pregnant!

At 3:00 AM that night, my three year old Katie woke me up asking for a drink of water. I got her back to bed, and tried to go to sleep myself. I realized I was having mild contractions. Not strong contractions, but fairly regular. I tried to go to sleep, but my mind wouldn't relax. So I decided just to rest because I thought "this could be it" and I might have a long day ahead of me.

At 5:30 AM, Katie climbed into my bed. She rarely does this...she must be psychic! We had about 20 minutes snuggling and giggling in bed before she asked for breakfast. So we got up and I got her something to eat.
Contractions picked up at this point, so I started packing up my hospital bag and such. I threw a bunch of my maternity clothes into wash. This was kind of a mistake, because we didn't have time for the clothes to dry, and I
was down to just a couple of outfits that still fit and were decent to wear in 90 degree weather. I put on this one horrible sundress that I swore never to wear outside of the house.

Anyhoo, contractions were stronger. I tried to time them, but I couldn't seem to do it while running around doing other stuff. I felt great. I felt confident, and Randy and I were laughing and talking and excited about the day.

At 7:00 AM, I called my midwife. She had the idea of having me come to her office at 8:00 AM to be checked. If I had a ways to go, she'd send me home to labor a while. If I was further along, she'd send me to the hospital. This seemed like a good idea.

I got the idea to take Katie to our daycare on the way to the Midwife's office. I thought this was a good idea because I would feel good knowing she was having fun at school, and then her Grandpa could pick her up later
in the day. The only thing that I was concerned about at this point was that I would have to wear the terrible sundress to the Midwife's office because all my maternity clothes are still in the laundry!

So at about 7:30 AM or so, we loaded up the car to go. I really was feeling great, and I was still laughing and talking with Katie and Randy. Just before we left, I fixed Katie's hair and got her teeth brushed. I say this because I just don't think this is something you can usually do when delivery is imminent.

So we got in the car and head up the road. Immediately, my contractions got crazy. We're still on our street, and I had two intense contractions back to back. At home, I was making it through the contractions confident and
with a little breathing. Suddenly, none of my coping techniques were working. I'm just going crazy.

We turn onto a major road, and Randy asked me, "what should we do? Should we take Katie to day care? Should we go to the hospital?" I kept saying "I don't know what to do!!!" We turned onto another major street, and I was
still thinking it would be best if we could get Katie taken to day care.

Then I felt that "ring of fire". I think that was when I tell Randy to go to the hospital. I don't know if I really realized I was going to have the baby any minute, I just new the contractions were outrageous.

So Randy turned down this side street that leads right to the hospital. It was a narrow street that goes through this wierd neighborhood. I reached down and felt this pressure. Then a minute later, I felt the crown of the
head. I think I was trying not to push, but I just couldn't help it. I told Randy to pull over.

Randy pulled over on the side of the street. This was not a wide street, and we were not even in a parking lot. He ran to my side of the car, and he saw that the head was totally out! He gently pulled the rest of the body out and placed the baby right into my arms. He said that there was a giant woosh of water at this point, but I don't remember it! In fact, I didn't have the presence of mind to watch at all.

I was just looking at this cute, messy little baby! He started crying right away and pinked right up. He was covered in vernix, and he was very messy!

I kept saying, "I'm so sorry baby!" I also keep saying, "Call 911!"

Randy was crying as he climbed back into the car. He called my midwife on the cell phone, and said "can you hear that?" Later our midwife said that when she heard the baby crying, she knew that everything was all right.
She was the one who gave us the advice to go just drive to the hospital instead of calling 911. We were actually only a couple of blocks away. The whole way, all I could think was that the baby should be in his carseat!

Meanwhile, Katie sat in her own carseat right behind me. She was just as calm and collected as she can be. I think Randy said something to her like, "Katie, your baby brother was just born!" At some point, she said, "Mommy,
you need to put on your seatbelt!"

We pulled up right in front of the ER at the hospital. Randy ran inside, and then this huge group of people came rushing out. They wheeled me into a room and it was just crazyiness. They cut the umbilical cord and warmed up the baby under some lights. Meanwhile another person gave me an IV lock so I could get an IV (I never actually needed one). I'm poked and prodded, and then the baby was handed back to me all wrapped up little a little bundle. We're then wheeled up stairs to Maternity.

There we met our midwife! She delivered the placenta, and checked me out for tears. I just had one tiny tear that didn't need a stitch and no swelling or bruising! She thought that maybe when I sat down in the car that the baby "turned" to enter the birthcanal and that triggered a chain reaction of some kind.

So who knows! I definately never expected to deliver a baby in the car! I don't think I even expected it until just a minute or two before it happened!

Mark weighed 7 pounds, 14 ounces at birth, and he is 19 inches long. He's as cute as a button. He checked out great while we were at the hospital, and he has taken right to nursing. One thing the midwife said is that he is amazingly free of bruises. Often when a baby is born quickly, their little heads get bruised. So he is one lucky little guy!

A local weekly newspaper picked up our story:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 12:14 PM

OMG!
this is the best story eveeeeer!
congrats to you and your family!
yayyyyyyy!

mom to the awesomest 9 year old little lady. mom to the awesomest mushy baby born oct.16 2009 by successful VBAC. wife to the awesomest dude ever. life is good. at it again and due march 3, 2012!

#3 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 12:21 PM

What a cool story! Congrats to you all! You'll have a nice article for the baby book!

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#4 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 PM

*ddc crashing*

That is so awesome! Congrats!!
#5 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 12:32 PM

Wonderful story!
Congratulations, he`s gorgeous :

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
#6 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 12:34 PM

That is a great story! Congrats!

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08
#7 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 01:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WOW!! You UC'd!

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#8 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 01:52 PM

That is an amazing story that you will have fun telling to Mark when he's older! Contratulations, and I'm glad you're all doing well.

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#9 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 02:05 PM

Wow!!! What a story!!
Congrats and welcome to little Mark :

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#10 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 02:06 PM

Crashing, but that is so awesome! Congrats on your little boy! Since he made such a easy enterence when he was ready, you probably didn't need the hospital in the first place! Welcome Baby Mark!

Brittany- Wife to Eric : Mama to Asher : born 7/15/09
#11 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 02:33 PM

Amazing!!! :

Congrats & Welcome Mark!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#12 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 04:18 PM

that is AWESOME!!!! : what a great thing for your dd to remember and to tell your ds!! enjoy your babymoon!!!
#13 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 04:30 PM

What a GREAT birth story!!!! I love how your little girl reminded you to put on your seatbelt!!

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#14 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 04:34 PM

Wow! Congratulations! Sounds like you did great in a totally unexpected situation. Amazing!

#15 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wow what a birth!

It almost made me cry (with laughter) that your daughter was so concerned about your seatbelt!!! :

Momma to DD (12/04) hearts.gif and DS (11/09) hbac.gif.
I survived 16 mos! Ask me about breastfeeding a baby with posterior tongue tie, high palate, and weak oral motor skills- whew!

#16 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 06:33 PM

Oh my goodness!!! Tell your husband Good Job and Congratulations to your whole family!!! You did awesome and so did your husband!!!
#17 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 06:51 PM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
: Congrats! what a great story! :

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#18 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 06:59 PM

YAY!!! what an awesome story, mama!!! congrats on your new LO!

busy mama to four
: : : :
#19 of 24 Old 06-27-2009, 11:05 PM

What a fun clipping to have for the baby book!

Congratulations! Awesome birth story!

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#20 of 24 Old 06-28-2009, 12:33 AM

Wow! congratulations on his birth

My Ben would have been born in the car if we hadn't planned a homebirth. It's 18 minutes from our house to the hospital and he was born about 20 minutes after my water broke, which was when labor went from "oh this will take hours" to "this might go faster" to "he's here" It's funny you should mention the bruising - Ben has a big bruise on his forehead from crowning so quickly.

Our sons had their own plan for when and where they wanted to be born and they sure made it exciting for us Congratulations! I'm glad to hear how healthy he is.
#21 of 24 Old 06-28-2009, 06:54 AM

Wow! My birth was very similar (I still need to write about our story) but reading your story totally brought me back to my birth! Such an adventure these June babies!

Congrats and Welcome Mark!!:::
#22 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 04:31 PM

That's awesome!

And, oh my, th *bruising* DS had after his fast birth! Your little guy is really lucky!
#23 of 24 Old 06-30-2009, 03:01 PM

Wow, amazing story! Congratulations on your birth! :

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#24 of 24 Old 06-30-2009, 03:12 PM

Wow, great story! Congratulations, I am glad it all went so well

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page