induction scheduled- need random advice - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 04:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We reluctantly agreed to schedule an induction for this week Thursday. It will be 6 days past my due date, and I am very sure of my dates. Dr. wanted Wed but hospital said Thursday worked better, yay. I am dilated to 4 cm (was last week too) and NST today showed baby is currently doing fine.

The reason is NOT that I'm past the due date, but that I've been measuring at 36 weeks for the last 4-5 weeks. I am mostly convinced by my doctor's reasoning that this could indicate a problem with baby/placenta and it is worth getting the baby out before the baby is not fine, and can't tolerate labor well. Don't want to argue the reason too much although you're welcome to suggest evidence he might be wrong. We asked what the second option would be and he said we could just not show, but medically he wouldn't recommend just waiting anymore. He would have preferred to induce last week when this concern arose.

Here's my questions:

1. Please tell me your "I survived an induced labor without an epidural/drugs" stories. Or if you did end up choosing pain relief drugs, tell me your story too!

2. I had planned on just staying home until I no longer felt like eating anyway, but w/ an induction I'd have to be in the hospital for the whole thing. Juice/water/ice only. Do I
a. deal w/ it
b. cheat and bring plenty of snacks "for my husband"
c. call doctor and/or hospital and ask about how hard and fast this rule is, whether things like milk are allowed as a liquid, etc.

3. Ideas to help labor start before then? I've tried many things, which all work to give me contractions, but eventually they die out. I had contractions pretty regularly all of yesterday but only on-and-off today. Maybe I need more relaxing activities to get my mind off it?

Thanks in advance for any encouragement you can give!

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
#2 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 04:17 PM - Thread Starter

P.S. MangoMommy (had an induced labor) and Rivkah (measured small but baby was fine) and maybe others already answered some of my questions in my thread last week about the biophysical profile. Didn't want you to think I'd ignored the advice you'd already gave. Thanks!

#3 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 04:27 PM

I've had three inductions, 1 with very minimal pain medication, and 2 with epidurals. (with the 1st and 3rd were for PIH).

With all three inductions, I was already dilated anywhere from 2-4 cm.

My first induction was the one with minimal pain medication, and honestly, even before the pain medication, it wasn't very painful at all until transition. I got the pain medication about an hour before I delivered, and it was just a single dose of stadol. With all honesty, it was less painful than my "natural" labor and delivery with my first born.
#4 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 04:40 PM

I was induced (post dates but for med reasons) and survived. It wasn't the most straightforward experience but it was pretty positive. And very quick - done and dusted in about 2.5 hours once contractions started. And the baby was worth it. :

What method of induction are they suggesting? Here in the UK they usually use a pessary first to ripen the cervix which is sometimes enough to kick off labour without the use of pit, especially if your Bishop's score is quite high.

Epi/drugs - just keep an open mind and have what you need. You might manage without but if you do need them see them as a tool to help you through. I had an epi and it failed (I didn't know that could happen) so ended up without pain relief. (Oh, and the induction failed first time too - didn't know that could happen either!)

Food - we were told we could eat if we wanted but it wasn't recommended. Things like glucose tablets were suggested. However I'd just take some snacks and eat if you needed it. There is no reason (other than puking) that you can't eat in labour. (I had a sandwich and puked repeatedly.)

There isn't anything you can do to encourage labour if things aren't about to kick off anyway. Nipple stimulation, castor oil, pineapple etc haven't been proven to work and can have some unpleasant side effects. If your Bishop's score is fairly high then a membrane stretch & sweep might help things along, but the effect is debatable.

Fingers crossed things will get moving for you naturally soon. But if they don't I hope the induction goes smoothly. Keep your eye on the prize and all that.
#5 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 05:12 PM

Have you already tried a membrane sweep? With that amount of dilation, you sound good to go.

Other than that, I'd also consider trying a low dose of pit and then backing off to see if your body has taken over from there.
#6 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 PM

I had an induction with Pit, labor was about 4 hours from start to finish & I took no pain meds for it.

I have to say it was pretty hard(painful) compared to my other non-medicated births but it was doable.

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).
#7 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
1. Please tell me your "I survived an induced labor without an epidural/drugs" stories. Or if you did end up choosing pain relief drugs, tell me your story too!
I was induced at 40w4d with my DS, and survived it without any pain meds. It wasn't pleasant though, but I was already 4cm when I showed up to be induced so the labor was very fast (2 hrs total - 45 min. of that was pushing). It was very intense. Once the contractions started, there was hardly any break in between them. I don't know what the dosage was or if they turned it down once labor was fast & furious... if I had to do it again I would request that.

Best wishes for an easy an uncomplicated birth

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#8 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 05:34 PM

It's normal to measure wierdly towards the end. Position of baby, full/empty bladder or baby dropped.

hh2.gif

#9 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 05:38 PM

i took castor oil last PG at 40w6d (had him at 41w), and it worked.. and it was not that bad.

My BFF has gotten induced twice and both times her Dr. applied cervidal proglastglans (sp?) and then broke her water, instead of pit. It worked both times perfectly.

Are either of those options instead of a pit induction? I think pit and cytotec are the worst 2 that can be done.. so maybe if your Dr is willing to work with you with alternatives (castor oil, breaking water, and/or membrane stripping) then you should probably be able to handle an unmedicated birth.

Good Luck!

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

#10 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 06:33 PM

I was just induced with pit after my water broke and I still hadn't gone into labour after over 24 hrs. I had meconium in the water, was GBS +, and my temperature was starting to climb despite already being on antibiotics at that point. I was 3 cm dilated when they started the oxytocin, so like you, everything was favourable, but obviously no point in cervidil, arom or anything else as all of that had already happened.

My labour was over 13 hours long, and I used no pain medication. I won't lie, it was the hardest, most painful experience of my life, and I think it was actually a bit traumatic. I felt a little bit shell shocked for a few days, but I did it, I never asked for pain meds, and I was rewarded by an incredibly alert and engaged baby girl who is totally worth it.

As far as food goes, I'd say bring what you want. You probably won't want to eat much once you are in really active labour anyways, but make sure you have something like gatorade (with sugar) or coconut water, for electrolytes and sugar for a quick shot of energy when you need it.

Regarding the pain meds, I'd suggest that you ask that no one offers you any. Tell them you'll ask if you need something.I know there were times when, if someone had come and asked if I wanted an epidural, I honestly don't know if I would have turned it down.

I'd also suggest having a doula, or some other sort of labour support who will be there the whole time, so you don't have to worry about shift change.

If during labour you decide to use pain management, don't feel bad about it either. I would never suggest anyone should have an induced labour without pain management, as I think it needs to be a decision everyone makes on their own. In hindsight, for me it was important, as it was the one part of my birth experience that was still under my control, after so many other things had to change (planned homebirth turned hospital induction, etc.) but if someone had tried to force that decision on me, when I wasn't sure I wanted it, it would have been a truly traumatic experience.

Well, that was really long. I'm sending you good luck and good labour vibes. Thursday is still a long way away, and it sounds like you have a good chance of going into labour on your own before that!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#11 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 06:41 PM

I promise that I'm not arguing
but... do you know what station the baby has been at for the last four weeks? Has it stayed the same or has the baby been getting lower? Each station lower is one cm below that would have otherwise been up top... thus *not* contributing to your fundal height measurement.

oh, and I'm a firm believer in bringing *many* snacks for the "husband".

Clinical Herbalist. Trained but never certified, licensed, or registered as a midwife.
07/10/09
#12 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 06:47 PM

according to the mayo clinic, fundal height after 36 weeks is not a reliable predictor. After 38 weeks, the fundal height will usually decrease because of baby settling into the pelvis. With a positive NST I think you should wait it out and do NST's every few days.

hh2.gif

#13 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 06:52 PM

I was induced 3x. With my first I had and epidural even though I felt I did'nt need it cause the doc thought I should. It did'nt effect my pushing at all.
The second I had no pain med.
The third I had no pain med.
My dh and I took lamaze class before all three births and we breathed our way through my contrax.
It can be done.
#14 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahstw View Post
I promise that I'm not arguing
but... do you know what station the baby has been at for the last four weeks? Has it stayed the same or has the baby been getting lower? Each station lower is one cm below that would have otherwise been up top... thus *not* contributing to your fundal height measurement.

oh, and I'm a firm believer in bringing *many* snacks for the "husband".
I don't know what the numbers would be but two weeks ago the baby had "not dropped much at all", and a week ago and now it is "very low, right there". Also, the baby's back is turned to the side, not to my belly button, so growth would make me wider, not farther out. And someone who I saw recently and hadn't seen me much in the past month did indeed comment that my belly was "lower, and wider" than before. So that might account for the no growth.

Oh, and the baby is now taking up all the space where my bladder used to be, I think a "full bladder" for me right now is like, an ounce . So that might account for the no growth.

I've seen that Mayo Clinic website and wish I had remembered to ask more questions about that at my appointment. Maybe in a few hours when I'm in a state of mind where I'm not so stressed, I'll research it more.

My doctor said he sometimes ruptures the membranes if things need to be sped along but doesn't do it to start labor. Not sure why. So it would be a pitocin induction.

I just packaged up a bunch of homemade granola bars for "the husband", and I'm thinking more about calling my doctor or the OB nurses desk w/ questions or something. The nurses today when I went in for the NST were very nice and told me to call if I had any questions.

I really hope all the Bh contractions I've been feeling for the last few days (except when I was at dr. and hospital they stopped, interesting) turn into real labor soon. I'm horrible at rocking the boat.

Thanks for all the helpful advice and info!

#15 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 08:13 PM

#16 of 24 Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmomma View Post
Thanks, that is the best explanation of the Bishop's score that I have seen. My doctor has not mentioned that particular term/number, although he thinks that my body is ready for labor, as indicated by soft and dilated cervix.

Points as I added them up. Am I doing this right?

Cervix (Posterior, I think): 0 pts
Consistency (soft): 2 pts
Effacement: don't know- I'll guess 1 pt
Dilation: 2 pts (4 cm)
baby's station: 3 pts (also a guess)
Cervical sensations: don't know what that is... 0 pts
vaginal secretions: 1 point
toning contractions: 3 points

-1 point for not having previous births.

11 points total? Give or take?

#17 of 24 Old 06-30-2009, 12:48 AM

I was induced with pitocin for my first because of very high blood pressure, and I "survived" without pain meds. With a level one dose of pitocin at 40 week I immediately went into crazy/insane/unstoppable contractions with nary a break between them. I did that for the longest 20 hours of my life. I also had to remain on my left side to keep my blood pressure down. Traumatic is a good word to describe that labor. AT one point I reallly realllly needed the pain to stop so I considered the epidural but my intuition won out and I carried on without it. My intuition told me if I went for the epidural I'd be in surgery having a baby.

Food "for your husband" for sure! IF and that is a big IF you can manage to eat at all --- you may not have enough of a break to do that. They don't call it labor for nothing! Esp an induced one.

Have you tried acupuncture? Worked for me!

eta: HAD to come back and edit this I was trying to finish quickly because my new guy needed to nurse and my husband was over dealing with both kids I think I sounded a bit flippant when I didn't intend to. Anyway, yes --- even though I hear all kinds of "pitocin was great!" stories, I just can't imagine wanting to do that all over again. Labor is typically hard enough, kwim? I'd was willing to try it ALL before doing a medical inducement again (and the $ I spent on acu was SOOOOOO worth it!!!). I'll also argue that the reasoning is suspect behind your looming inducement from what you've said, but that's not my call to make really. If it were *my* baby I might feel differently, I dunno! Go with your gut, knowing all your options.

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#18 of 24 Old 06-30-2009, 11:19 AM

I know castor oil isn't the most pleasant but I did it to avoid a hospital induction. I took it at 8:15 pm, bowel movement at 11:15 pm and started contractions at 12:15 am, baby was born at 6:12 am. I was at 41w 4d. I was 4-5 cm, -1 station. I took 4 oz. (a very high dosage-start lower, but I have intestines of steel) mixed in a blender with orange juice concentrate, a little water and ice. Drank it with my nose plugged.

Prior to the castor oil, my midwife had me trying a breast pump to stimulate contractions. That would get them going but then they would fizzle out.

I haven't had a hospital birth but if I was, I'd definitely sneak in food!

Good luck to you!

Amy, wife to Kevin, homeschooling mommy to Chase '99, Aidan '03, and Carabelle 6/16/09 :
#19 of 24 Old 06-30-2009, 06:36 PM

I would ask again about the membrane sweep. It is not a foolproof method by any means, but it could very well work (worked for me at similar stage), and it is about 5 minutes of discomfort versus a possibly painful induction. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work.

I have heard (though haven't had hospital birth), that it is best to just bring plenty of snacks and most nurses will treat you with a wink.

Good luck whatever happens!
#20 of 24 Old 06-30-2009, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
My friend and her sister both had pain med free low dose pit inductions and were happy with them. I would recommend trying the membrane sweep and castor oil first though.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#21 of 24 Old 06-30-2009, 07:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaBreadGirl View Post

My doctor said he sometimes ruptures the membranes if things need to be sped along but doesn't do it to start labor. Not sure why. So it would be a pitocin induction.
Probably because if you didn't go into labour you then have the issue of premature ROM to worry about as well.

In regards to the placental insuffuciency, is your doctor just basing this on your size for dates? That is a pretty big leap IMO. Has he suggested doppler studies?

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#22 of 24 Old 06-30-2009, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
I would ask again about the membrane sweep. It is not a foolproof method by any means, but it could very well work (worked for me at similar stage), and it is about 5 minutes of discomfort versus a possibly painful induction. The worst thing that can happen is that it doesn't work.
Can't believe I'm saying this and hope I am SO anonymous here, but I tried sweeping my own membranes. I was very careful/gentle, clean hands, etc. I could only reach to do halfway around, though. I had two fingertips (maybe up to the first joint) over the top of the cervix and slid them around inside the posterior side of the uterus. Don't know if it would be possible to reach a whole 360 degrees myself or how far into the uterus a doctor/midwife would go. So, maybe it wasn't enough to do anything, but it was interesting to feel the baby's head.

Now having slightly crampy feeling contractions (but mostly painless) about 10 minutes apart, but that's been happening for about the last 3 days anyway.

#23 of 24 Old 06-30-2009, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by katelove View Post
Probably because if you didn't go into labour you then have the issue of premature ROM to worry about as well.

In regards to the placental insuffuciency, is your doctor just basing this on your size for dates? That is a pretty big leap IMO. Has he suggested doppler studies?
He is basing it on the lack of increase in the size over the last 4-5 weeks (not necessarily just the small number, but the lack of increase, which several people/sources have pointed out to me could me nothing). I had an ultrasound of the baby as part of a biophysical profile, but I'm assuming a doppler study would look more at the blood flow to the placenta?

#24 of 24 Old 06-30-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaBreadGirl View Post
Can't believe I'm saying this and hope I am SO anonymous here, but I tried sweeping my own membranes. I was very careful/gentle, clean hands, etc. I could only reach to do halfway around, though. I had two fingertips (maybe up to the first joint) over the top of the cervix and slid them around inside the posterior side of the uterus. Don't know if it would be possible to reach a whole 360 degrees myself or how far into the uterus a doctor/midwife would go. So, maybe it wasn't enough to do anything, but it was interesting to feel the baby's head.

Now having slightly crampy feeling contractions (but mostly painless) about 10 minutes apart, but that's been happening for about the last 3 days anyway.
I don't think that is too weird.. there are lots of mamas here that check themselves.

Good Luck! Have you asked your Dr. if they will do a sweep for you?

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page