exercise? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-30-2009, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
has anyone started exercising yet? i am 3 weeks postpartum and really want to exercise. what is everyone else doing?
#2 of 18 Old 07-30-2009, 10:36 AM

I haven't been able to since I had a C-sec this time but with my vaginal deliveries, I started lifting light weights about 2 weeks and doing aerobics (start off slowly, like 10 mins at first) at a month.
#3 of 18 Old 07-30-2009, 03:05 PM

I have, but then I'm almost 10 weeks pp (c-section). I started pilates at just under 6 weeks pp and dancing a couple of days later. I'm not going to carry on pilates in August as I've developed a sore tailbone and it's bothering that. I plan to up the dancing classes though and hopefully find another activity that fits our schedule.

Anne, Christian mummy to Nathanael 05/28/03, Ada 06/10/05, Grace 05/24/09
#4 of 18 Old 07-30-2009, 03:35 PM

nak

i am just being lazy but i should have started
#5 of 18 Old 07-30-2009, 04:58 PM

I went running a couple of times, but it's been really difficult to get time. I'm at nine weeks now. I started trying to get back since three weeks.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#6 of 18 Old 07-30-2009, 06:23 PM

Started running again (well walking fast and light jogging - building back up to a run) just before 6 weeks PP. Also started light resistance training and ab exercises at that time too (am 8 weeks PP tomorrow). Trying to do both three times a week.

Happy mama to DD (8-11-05) and DS (6-5-09) and married to my best friend and love of my life since 10-13-01.
#7 of 18 Old 07-30-2009, 11:21 PM

I started kind of early since I am on a summer team (ultimate frisbee, so lots of running) that I play w/ every year. I was hoping DS would be born nearer to his due date so I wouldnt miss as many games and would have had some more time to recover, but luckily, no c-section and no tearing, so I was ready to run pretty quick. I think I did my first run about 2 weeks after, and the first game around 3 weeks.

that being said, I was pretty active up til birth - I was playing disc still in my 40th week and biking 20mi a day (to work and back) so it wasn't too hard to jump back in. And now, I am *way* less active than I've been in years, 2 games of disc a week, a run maybe once, some walking, a 20mi bike ride *once* a week, and that's it. Usually I'm doing 20mi a day biking, 3 games of disc, and 2-3 runs or in the winter, ice hockey! so i'm actually feeling a bit lazy but since DS's only comforting technique that seriously works is bouncing w/ him on the exercise ball I'm getting some at-home exercise as well

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#8 of 18 Old 07-31-2009, 06:08 PM

Does general living with a 14 pound weight (I mean baby) strapped to my chest count? Cuz that's all I do so far. I really wanted to get back at it sooner this time but this little guy doesn't let me put him down for a second without wailing his little head off. On the rare occassion I can put him down during the day, my 3 year old needs/deserves all my attention. When my husband gets home around 6-7pm it's all about dinner and dishes then general house clean up and bed.

So no, not a lot of exercise happening just yet.

(that sounds bitter, doesn't it? )

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#9 of 18 Old 07-31-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinz View Post
Does general living with a 14 pound weight (I mean baby) strapped to my chest count? Cuz that's all I do so far. I really wanted to get back at it sooner this time but this little guy doesn't let me put him down for a second without wailing his little head off. On the rare occassion I can put him down during the day, my 3 year old needs/deserves all my attention. When my husband gets home around 6-7pm it's all about dinner and dishes then general house clean up and bed.

So no, not a lot of exercise happening just yet.

(that sounds bitter, doesn't it? )
I could have written the exact same post! Except we got a swing a few days ago so I am not wearing him quite full time anymore...my midwife suggested the swing when she heard how much bouncing I was doing...but still, not much exercise happening here yet unless you count picking up toys and bouncing on an exercise ball...

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

#10 of 18 Old 07-31-2009, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyakanyasko View Post
I could have written the exact same post! Except we got a swing a few days ago so I am not wearing him quite full time anymore...my midwife suggested the swing when she heard how much bouncing I was doing...but still, not much exercise happening here yet unless you count picking up toys and bouncing on an exercise ball...
I wonder if mine would go in a swing... now you have me thinking! It would be great to get moving a bit, even if I did some jumping jacks, kwim? I see really fit moms with little babes and always assume they must be working moms w/childcare or something. Both my babes needed to be worn all the time. I never got a swing though... hmmmmmm.....

Erin sharing life with a burly husband and two rad boys 7/06 & 5/09 : : Zone 9-ish
#11 of 18 Old 08-04-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I wonder if mine would go in a swing... now you have me thinking! It would be great to get moving a bit, even if I did some jumping jacks, kwim? I see really fit moms with little babes and always assume they must be working moms w/childcare or something. Both my babes needed to be worn all the time. I never got a swing though... hmmmmmm.....
My babe is all about the sling. If I'm not carrying him he's unhappy. HOWEVER, we just put batteries in our swing and HE LOVES IT! It gives me a much needed break from holding or wearing him and he's totally content to be in there for a few long periods throughout the day (and he's even fallen asleep in there a few times!!!). Try it!!! It may work.
#12 of 18 Old 08-06-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
As a working mom, I can assure, we are among the least fit bunch! (unless maybe Mom's job is as a personal trainer). I was a STAHM with DD and I looked great--of course I was only 23 and in great shape to begin with. I can totally tell the difference in my body's ability to get right back into shape at 34--those abs just don't last forever.
#13 of 18 Old 08-06-2009, 06:28 PM

now I'm thinking of getting a swing! DS *loves* the exercise ball. I think its actually quite good exercise, bouncing and holding him, it does tire me out. I'm lucky to be able to exercise as much as I am since the mr. works from home and can take DS occasionally so I can jog, etc. And we both go to the disc games and switch off who plays/who holds DS. DS also can't really be put down - unless we've bounced for 20min, swayed, and even then its a 50/50 chance he'll wake up. Luckily nights are much easier, maybe the co-sleeping, but he always seems to be able to go back to sleep easy at night after nursing or waking a bit.

#14 of 18 Old 08-06-2009, 11:04 PM

I got in five miles tonight! My hips are yelling at me, but I got it in!

#15 of 18 Old 08-07-2009, 02:18 AM

I am 4 weeks pp and saw my chiro today... He's an awesome guy who specializing in treating pregnant women (was referred to by my mw).

I'm having lots of pelvic trouble (feels like low back pain).

I asked about working out cuz I'm dying to get into my old clothes... he said to take it easy... that when bf'ing I will have relaxin still in my system for 8-11 months. He said that if I overdo the workouts that I will damage my ligaments which will create joint 'instability' and I'll do long term damage. He recommends walking lots and waiting until 3 months to begin more strenuous workouts!!

*sigh* guess it'll be a little longer til I'm back in my 'skinny jeans'.

Happy Momma , sharing life with my of a DH, DS Rumi (Aug '06) and DD Leela (July '09)
#16 of 18 Old 08-07-2009, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

for those of you who are doing more strenuous exercising, are you still bleeding? i am 4 weeks and still bleeding and am not sure if that means i should take it slow. i have been doing lots of walking this week and the bleeding has picked up, so i am wondering if i am doing too much. i really want to go to yoga and the gym!
#17 of 18 Old 08-07-2009, 03:49 PM

I'm not anymore, but I'm at ten weeks pp. I just decided to pick up my mileage this week. I was told the same thing by a friend about joints being mushy. That's why he won't realign my hips until I'm done nursing. It's also why I slow way down when they start to hurt.

#18 of 18 Old 08-07-2009, 09:24 PM

I bled until four weeks, but played frisbee in week 3, just made sure the bleeding didn't increase or anything.

and how lucky am I to also get my period yesterday, so more bleeding. Jeesh!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page