Is my period back or is this something else? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2009, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am wondering what's going on with me. I got a light period last Monday that lasted 2 days. Bleeding was light but definitely enough to warrant a pad. Then yesterday (Thursday) it started up again. I don't know why. Again needing a pad but not overly heavy.

I wonder if I should call my doctor about it or if this is normal ...

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2009, 03:58 PM

I don't know. How many weeks postpartum were you when this happened?

I'm wondering the same thing, myself. I had some unexpected bleeding at 4 weeks postpartum (as heavy as a period, but lasted longer...more than a week) and no one ever answered the couple times I tried the "talk to the nurse" number at my doctor's office, and now it's mostly stopped. I'm exclusively breastfeeding, somewhat co-sleeping, and the little guy only gets a pacifier when he's fussy in the car. It could be a period, but if it isn't, what is it????? This must be a confusing topic as it seems to be the topic of many posts!

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 PM

Am there, doing that. Having a lot of on and off bleeding, spotting. It's weird. I don't know if my period has come back or what.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
Old 08-16-2009, 09:27 PM

Oh and I'm 10 weeks postpartum as of tomorrow.

Old 08-18-2009, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamelly View Post
Oh and I'm 10 weeks postpartum as of tomorrow.
Strange. Any signs that you are ovulating, or is it all pretty random? Hope you get it figured out!

I have one wonderful husband and one wonderful little toddler boy!
Old 08-20-2009, 11:49 PM

All - please keep an eye on your bleeding. I delivered my DD on June 5. I had my 6 wk follow-up on July 13. At that time, my bleeding appeared to be tapering off. As time went by, the bleeding started to pick up and get bright red again and by week 9 postpartum it was medium flow and bright red. Even though I'm breastfeeding, I thought it might be my period (no cramps though) or possibly overdoing it with exercising. I just had a gut feeling that something wasn't right so I called my OB/GYN's office and they got me in for an ultrasound which showed that 1.5 cm of placenta did NOT deliver and that was causing the bleeding. They scheduled me for an urgent D&C which I had last Thursday. Apparently, if that situation is not remedied fairly quickly, you run the risk of hemorhaging.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:57 PM

Well I called a nurse yesterday and she said it is sometimes normal to have bleeding for this long, but most people don't and suggested I make an GYN appointment.

Old 08-22-2009, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input ladies.

I first had the bleeding two weeks ago and that would have been about 9 weeks post-partum and lasted about 3 days. The second bleeding was 10.5 weeks post-partum and lasted 2.5 days. As for other symptoms - it's hard to say. I've had a lot of sweats, been cranky and irritable around the times I've had the bleeding - but also at other times. I'm drastically under-slept and breastfeeding. I honestly don't know how much of this is 4th tri hormones or PMS.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

Old 09-06-2009, 12:17 PM

I am 11 weeks postpartum and I *swear* I got my period this weekend. I haven't had any lochia since 4 weeks PP and all of a sudden BAM! It's so unfair! My baby isn't even three months old and she nurses all night long!

I will just wait until next month and see if it comes back.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:39 PM

I am 12 weeks postpartum and having spotting again. I thought it was my period, but it only lasted a couple of days so I don't know. It's frustrating, that's for sure!

Old 09-07-2009, 12:58 PM

I was 12 weeks postpartum and I got my period...the kid takes no bottles, no pacifiers, and while she sometimes sleeps 6 hours at night, she usually nurses every 2-3 hours still most of the night, and all day!! At first, it was very light bleeding, but it picked up. It was the heaviest period and longest period I have ever had (I started Wed and am still bleeding just a little--my pre preg periods were about 1 day heavy bleeding, 2 days very light), but also the least painful...my pre-preg periods were AWFUL. It was so weird to be bleeding after 13 months of NOT bleeding!!

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Old 09-07-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by micklis View Post
All - please keep an eye on your bleeding. I delivered my DD on June 5. I had my 6 wk follow-up on July 13. At that time, my bleeding appeared to be tapering off. As time went by, the bleeding started to pick up and get bright red again and by week 9 postpartum it was medium flow and bright red. Even though I'm breastfeeding, I thought it might be my period (no cramps though) or possibly overdoing it with exercising. I just had a gut feeling that something wasn't right so I called my OB/GYN's office and they got me in for an ultrasound which showed that 1.5 cm of placenta did NOT deliver and that was causing the bleeding. They scheduled me for an urgent D&C which I had last Thursday. Apparently, if that situation is not remedied fairly quickly, you run the risk of hemorhaging.
Had your bleeding completely stopped? Mine stopped at 4 weeks postpartum and then I got my period at 12 weeks so I am pretty sure this couldn't be the case with me, but wanted to double check. Also, did you have cramping or any other strange symptoms of retained placenta (breastmlk problems, etc)?

Single mama to S ~ 6/09

Old 09-10-2009, 10:36 PM

ihugtrees - no, my bleeding never completely stopped. it slowed down to the point where i thought it would stop though but then it picked up again. i did not have any cramping, pain or breastmilk problems. i'm happy to report that i am no longer bleeding. sooooo nice to finally not have to wear a freakin sanitary pad!!

User Tag List