Mothering Forum banner

baby's skull

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  groovynaturemama 
#1 ·
Hi, My ds is 13 weeks and doing great. but i noticed something different on his skull this week. on the side of his head, running perpendicular from his ear, he has a small crevice, a few inches long. It feels like a small groove. this is not symetrical to the other side of his head. i know about fontanelles, but i thought those were in the front and back of skull. anyone know if this space is normal? i have 2 dds and never noticed this w/ them.

thanks for your replies,
penny

#2 ·
sounds like the coronal suture of the skull. the skull sutures stay slightly separate to accommodate brain growth as your baby gets older. my son is 14 weeks and i can feel the same thing. and just because you can't feel it on the other side, is not usually a cause for alarm...on side may just be easier to feel than the other. hth

oh, here is a diagram of an infant skull so you can relate it to what you're feeling http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/...ageS574P0.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.