baby's skull - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-16-2009, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, My ds is 13 weeks and doing great. but i noticed something different on his skull this week. on the side of his head, running perpendicular from his ear, he has a small crevice, a few inches long. It feels like a small groove. this is not symetrical to the other side of his head. i know about fontanelles, but i thought those were in the front and back of skull. anyone know if this space is normal? i have 2 dds and never noticed this w/ them.

thanks for your replies,
penny

grouphug.gifPenny4them  
Blessed WAH wife and mama to my happy brood jumpers.gif Dd1(7/01) Dd2(10/02) Ds (6/09) CDing & ECing works! No Circ, Make it yourself or buy something Handmade! mdcblog5.gif 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2009, 01:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
sounds like the coronal suture of the skull. the skull sutures stay slightly separate to accommodate brain growth as your baby gets older. my son is 14 weeks and i can feel the same thing. and just because you can't feel it on the other side, is not usually a cause for alarm...on side may just be easier to feel than the other. hth

oh, here is a diagram of an infant skull so you can relate it to what you're feeling http://www.childrenshospital.org/az/...ageS574P0.html

User Tag List