Pregnant after IF/loss - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 08:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyLoving View Post
I read a few things on progesterone, and one interesting thing was that progesterone alone is not a good indication of anything. When they do a randomized sample many full term pregnancies start off with very low progesterone. They know that miscarried pregnancies have low progesterone, but from what I have read there must be another link between the two because progesterone alone is not a good indication.

Can you interview some of the offices on your own? Or, what if you go to your tribal area on here, and as people for recommendations?

Good luck!
Ooh, I didn't think of going to the tribal area--thanks for that suggestion!

That's awesome to know that about progesterone. I read something else interesting last night because I was trying to figure out why I was taking Prometrium orally and others take it vaginally: when taken vaginally, the prog doesn't show up in the blood like it does when taken orally--isn't that bizarre? So from that, I started thinking, how can the blood level of prog ever be very reliable if it doesn't necessarily show all the progesterone you have?

Breathe, Deb...
Thanks

ETA: do you still have the link where you read that info about progesterone? I'd love to take a look at it!

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#62 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post

That's awesome to know that about progesterone. I read something else interesting last night because I was trying to figure out why I was taking Prometrium orally and others take it vaginally: when taken vaginally, the prog doesn't show up in the blood like it does when taken orally--isn't that bizarre? So from that, I started thinking, how can the blood level of prog ever be very reliable if it doesn't necessarily show all the progesterone you have?

Breathe, Deb...
Thanks

ETA: do you still have the link where you read that info about progesterone? I'd love to take a look at it!
That is interesting. I did not know that.

I do not have the link, but it was a simple search on google scholar on progesterone levels predicting spontaneous abortion. Let me know if you cannot find it or something similar, and I will look around for you.
#63 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 08:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyLoving View Post
me: I am feeling so confident about this pregnancy that it scares me. I have to keep reminding myself that something could happen. I want to say that it is my intuition that says everything is going to be fine, but only time will tell. I am hoping my feeling is right. :
Hey, why are you reminding yourself? I love that feeling. I have it too. And I thought we were not worrying about the possibilities, but just being happy to be pregnant now. If you can't do it, how do you expect me to be able to?
#64 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
Hey, why are you reminding yourself? I love that feeling. I have it too. And I thought we were not worrying about the possibilities, but just being happy to be pregnant now. If you can't do it, how do you expect me to be able to?
There is a very fine distinction. I am happily enjoying every second of this pregnancy, as I am committed to doing. It is the confidence that I am trying to undermine a little.
#65 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Breathe, Deb...
Thanks

What one of my doctors explained to me was that the vaginal stuff (which I'm on-- super fun!) puts more progesterone right where it's needed, and a lot of it just stays/gets used in the uterus area, as opposed to circulating throughout the bloodstream. The bloodtest is kind of a baseline in that case, where they assume that if it's 'x' in the blood, it's probably higher in/around the uterus. With the oral, it goes the other way around: since it has to be absorbed into the bloodstream before it can get to the uterus, I guess it's easier to get an accurate blood-test reading. I'm kind of jealous about the oral, though-- sounds easier by a long shot. Still, I guess in case of morning sickness at least I can't throw up a vaginal suppository.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#66 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 AM

I am going for a hcg test today. I should have the results tomorrow.

What is the next step in monitoring this pg for you guys? When is it?

I'm anxious to get this number and hear my ob actually confirm this pg. I still haven't heard her do so opposed to the molar pg & other options we discussed. I am feeling confident, but hearing it would help.
#67 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissieColinsMom View Post

I'm anxious to get this number and hear my ob actually confirm this pg. I still haven't heard her do so opposed to the molar pg & other options we discussed. I am feeling confident, but hearing it would help.
I am still waiting to hear what my FSH level is, and also why the doctor ordered it. LOL. I think it was ordered accidentally, but I am still curious because I have heard that FSH tests can pick up HCG. And, for obvious reasons, I would be happy to hear what my HCG level is. Though I am well aware that one number doesn't tell you much by itself.

I test my thyroid levels tomorrow. Not really pregnancy monitoring, but it does have a lot to do with pregnancy. I am sort of hoping my TSH level is high so I can take more synthroid. I feel like I am not on quite enough but my doctor is unlikely to up my dosage unless the TSH is high.

Then, in 2 weeks and 3 days I have my first ultrasound. Can you tell I am excited/anxious?

Maybe it's my pregnancy brain, but your next-to-the-last sentence is confusing to me. Did you have a molar pregnancy in the past?
#68 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 11:26 AM

My hcg was being monitored following a mc when it started to go up. One of the reasons the dr. offered as to why it was going up instead of down was a molar pg or some type of hcg producing tumor. I believe the climbs we've seen since indicate a new pg, but my communications have been through her nurse so I don't really know what she is thinking.
#69 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:

I'm anxious to get this number and hear my ob actually confirm this pg.
Good luck with your test. Are you doing another draw in a few days or week to be cross check the numbers?

Personally, I am being very low maintenance with this pregnancy. I found out on Friday that my midwife is no longer practicing, so that is a huge bummer. I would see her around 12 weeks typically. I have a back up cnm office I use, so I may give them a visit until I find another (homebirth) midwife. I am not even going to look for another midwife until I am at least 6 weeks. I will go in for my first visit with the cnm between 8-10 weeks. I do not plan on doing any ultrasounds (unless there is a problem, and I need the reassurances) or pelvic exams. I will do the bloodwork required by my state and that is it.
#70 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
My hcg was being monitored following a mc when it started to go up. One of the reasons the dr. offered as to why it was going up instead of down was a molar pg or some type of hcg producing tumor. I believe the climbs we've seen since indicate a new pg, but my communications have been through her nurse so I don't really know what she is thinking.
Ohhhh, I see. Wow, I can see how you'd want some clarity on that point. Have you been charting or anything? Do you know how far along you might be if you are pregnant? Are you planning on an ultrasound at some point? It seems like that would be the definitive test. Molar pregnancy is such a scary thing to think about. Have you been having any symptoms?

Sorry for all the questions. Your situation is just so crazy. I really hope your intuition is right.
#71 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
Ohhhh, I see. Wow, I can see how you'd want some clarity on that point. Have you been charting or anything? Do you know how far along you might be if you are pregnant? Are you planning on an ultrasound at some point? It seems like that would be the definitive test. Molar pregnancy is such a scary thing to think about. Have you been having any symptoms?

Sorry for all the questions. Your situation is just so crazy. I really hope your intuition is right.

I was keeping a very basic chart (no temps) because we planned to take a few months off. I thought we would be safe without protection until my hcg went down to zero. I do think I know when we conceived, I should be 5 wks today. I do have lots pg symptoms and overall I feel positive. I'm undecided about the ultrasound because I feel like it pushed along my mc last time.
#72 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 11:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I was keeping a very basic chart (no temps) because we planned to take a few months off. I thought we would be safe without protection until my hcg went down to zero. I do think I know when we conceived, I should be 5 wks today. I do have lots pg symptoms and overall I feel positive. I'm undecided about the ultrasound because I feel like it pushed along my mc last time.
The only thing is that if it is a tumor/molar pregnancy, you want to know asap. What a decision to have to make, though. I always thought ultrasounds were perfectly safe until I skimmed that article that Bliss posted--and then I promptly stuck my head in the sand. Anyway, my thoughts are with you.
#73 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I am thinking of you and hoping for the best.

I just freaked myself out by reading someone's miscarriage story. I think I need to stay in the ddc for a while without subjecting myself to more stories of loss. I do not want to disconnect myself from the friendships I made, but I need to get through a few more weeks of pregnancy before I can stay confident about my pregnancy and lend support. I am so freaked out now!
#74 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
I'm kind of jealous about the oral, though-- sounds easier by a long shot. Still, I guess in case of morning sickness at least I can't throw up a vaginal suppository.
Ewwwww!

Quote:
I'll keep you in my thoughts! Can I ask more about what you mean about the u/s pushing your m/c along?

AFM: Got my prog number today and it is 36.3
So 8dpo: 2.7
12dpo: 9.5 and then started on 200mg per day
19dpo: 36.3
So at least the prometrium is getting in there!

I'm also supposed to call and schedule a 6 week u/s but after reading that article, I'm second-guessing that. I don't know if the dr. is wanting it now just because I raised a stink or if it's actually called for. Not sure what to do. I had early u/s's with my dd and all was fine, but I really don't want to risk anything if I'm feeling all right otherwise.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#75 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
AFM: Got my prog number today and it is 36.3
So 8dpo: 2.7
12dpo: 9.5 and then started on 200mg per day
19dpo: 36.3
So at least the prometrium is getting in there!

I'm also supposed to call and schedule a 6 week u/s but after reading that article, I'm second-guessing that. I don't know if the dr. is wanting it now just because I raised a stink or if it's actually called for. Not sure what to do. I had early u/s's with my dd and all was fine, but I really don't want to risk anything if I'm feeling all right otherwise.
: Yay those are great numbers.

You can always go in for an ultrasound if you feel it is necessary even if you decline it now. I, personally, would not go in for an early ultrasound (unless I felt it was warranted). I also had one with ds (before I knew the risks), and it led us in a direction I never want to be a part of again.
#76 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Hey guys. Welcome new ladies! I'm feeling pretty confident, too. I don't know if it means anything but it makes the waiting easier.

For u/s there really isn't a point in doing them at 6 weeks. With a typical uterus (not tipped or anything) I would wait until 8 weeks at least because I believe that is as soon as you're pretty much guaranteed to see a HB if baby's OK. If you go in at 6 weeks, there is too much of a chance of "there is no HB yet, so let's check in another week" type of situation. Not cool. By then, you might just want to wait until 10 or 12 weeks when midwives might be able to get a HB w/ doppler (which is still u/s but it seems that the overall exposure is less). At this point, I plan to just wait to see our midwives at 10 - 12 weeks. Unless I'm really stressed out and worried before then, then I am willing to consider an u/s for HB check at 8 weeks or later.
#77 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 02:48 PM

BlissfullyLoving, what is the danger of having an u/s at 6 weeks? Mine is scheduled for Thursday and I will be about 6 weeks along. The doc ordered it to date the pregnancy due to my irregular cycles. I had no idea it could be dangerous!
#78 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 03:15 PM

There are a lot of studies out about the potential side effects of ultrasounds on developing fetuses. If you do a google or google scholar search you can find a lot about it. Here is a fairly conclusive easy to read article on the effects http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasound.asp.
#79 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 03:22 PM

Thanks for the link. Definitely scary stuff. But in your post you said the u/s led you in a direction you never want to be part of again... what did you mean by that?

Thanks to ultrasounds when I was preg with DD, docs were able to find out that my placenta was over-mature and therefore I had frequent scans during my last trimester to confirm baby was still growing. At 38.5 weeks she stalled, and they immediately induced labor. She was born healthy at 5.5 lbs... who knows what might have happened if we hadn't had the scans and the placenta stopped working.....
#80 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 03:34 PM

I wish I could feel as confident as you all! I am too much of a cynic I guess.

I saw my ob/gyn (who I like very much, she is about to go on a trek of the Himalayas to see women in need for two weeks, how cool is that!) on Thursday, and she tried to alleviate my fears of early u/s's also, and said one at 6wks is fine to do if I want to do it, but I'd have to check hcg until it was >2000 so there'd be something to see at all, etc. So I got blood drawn that day, and I was guessing I wouldn't be >2000 since I was only 4wks4days at that point - but I just got the results today and it was just over 2000, (at the very top of normal, it seems) so she asked me if I wanted to schedule a 5-6wk u/s.

But I actually do have a very tipped uterus, I figure it would make me nervous more than not, and they'd have trouble seeing anything, and I lost the last one at 7.5wks anyway so its not like it would tell me much. I let myself schedule one for 8.5weeks instead and hope that goes well. I may still cancel it depending on how I feel. Last time my nausea started at 6wks and stopped abruptly at 7.5wks, so if that happens again Ill def. keep the appt. I was thinking of waiting until 10wks, but I am going to get an NT scan at 11wks or 12 anyway, so that seems so close, why bother. I am afraid though that my retroverted uterus might make things difficult even at 8.5wks.

I was so expecting her to say that it was even negative, no HCG at all, that my pos preg test was just a fluke. Since I hadn't been able to temp since then or take other tests. My mind is definitely playing tricks on me! I wish I could be positive, but my symptoms are so sporadic (breast tenderness really comes and goes, and has never been as bad as the first few days) that I think its not going well, and then I think since I have that 'feeling' its not going well, that my intuition is to be trusted, since I was kind of right last time despite my body 'missing' it. But then I also realize my intuition is probably terribly clouded by this whole experience so who can tell what. I am so afraid of thinking positively I guess. I just keep thinking that there's an issue w/ me, that I can't carry children, which is just such an awful thought. But its hard when I've had no explanation for the first, that I need two just to get tests, etc. Its hard to think that its just a fluke, as they say, I guess. I guess the scientist in me is to blame!

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#81 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 03:52 PM

Sorry alison. I misunderstood what you were asking. I had an early ultrasound with ds because I was having some light spotting. During that ultrasound they thought my cervix was measuring short. They had me come back repeatedly in case I had an incompetent cervix. I did not. It was my normal cervix length. Then during those other ultrasounds they kept finding potential problems with ds. Even when I would come with the research or deny further tests the office would use insane scare tactics to try to get me to comply. In the 18 weeks I spent with that office I left crying after almost every appointment. For me, routine ultrasounds seem to be a slippery slope to more aggresive pressure for medical intervention, and coupled with the potential risks it is not worth it to me. I understand and respect the need for medical intervention when necessary, but that is when the benefit outweighs the risk.

I am so happy that you were able to see that your placenta was over-mature with your dd. For the future, if you did not want to have numerous ultrasounds there are placental function tests that are not done through ultrasound.
#82 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
I was so expecting her to say that it was even negative, no HCG at all, that my pos preg test was just a fluke. Since I hadn't been able to temp since then or take other tests. My mind is definitely playing tricks on me! I wish I could be positive, but my symptoms are so sporadic (breast tenderness really comes and goes, and has never been as bad as the first few days) that I think its not going well, and then I think since I have that 'feeling' its not going well, that my intuition is to be trusted, since I was kind of right last time despite my body 'missing' it. But then I also realize my intuition is probably terribly clouded by this whole experience so who can tell what. I am so afraid of thinking positively I guess. I just keep thinking that there's an issue w/ me, that I can't carry children, which is just such an awful thought. But its hard when I've had no explanation for the first, that I need two just to get tests, etc. Its hard to think that its just a fluke, as they say, I guess. I guess the scientist in me is to blame!
You pretty much nailed how I feel, too. I'll be honest, I schedule 6-7wk scans as much for recording as for anything else. Out of my four m/cs, two showed a blighted ovum, one ended even before 6 weeks, one had a HB. If this is another anembryonic pregnancy, they can't possibly give me the "bad luck" theory I got last time. Even if we have a heartbeat, I know now not to get too excited about it, but it would still be better than the alternative.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#83 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 04:21 PM

Quote:
I saw my ob/gyn (who I like very much, she is about to go on a trek of the Himalayas to see women in need for two weeks, how cool is that!) on Thursday, and she tried to alleviate my fears of early u/s's also, and said one at 6wks is fine to do if I want to do it, but I'd have to check hcg until it was >2000 so there'd be something to see at all, etc. So I got blood drawn that day, and I was guessing I wouldn't be >2000 since I was only 4wks4days at that point - but I just got the results today and it was just over 2000, (at the very top of normal, it seems) so she asked me if I wanted to schedule a 5-6wk u/s.

But I actually do have a very tipped uterus, I figure it would make me nervous more than not, and they'd have trouble seeing anything, and I lost the last one at 7.5wks anyway so its not like it would tell me much. I let myself schedule one for 8.5weeks instead and hope that goes well. I may still cancel it depending on how I feel. Last time my nausea started at 6wks and stopped abruptly at 7.5wks, so if that happens again Ill def. keep the appt. I was thinking of waiting until 10wks, but I am going to get an NT scan at 11wks or 12 anyway, so that seems so close, why bother. I am afraid though that my retroverted uterus might make things difficult even at 8.5wks.

Very cool about your gyn. Congrats on the numbers. :

I bet you will feel more confident as time goes by. As you know, your chances are very good to carry this baby to term.

Good luck with the scan. I agree with waiting because of your uterus. It might cause more stress then calm for no reason. Please let us know how everything goes. I am thinking of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeasleyMum View Post
You pretty much nailed how I feel, too. I'll be honest, I schedule 6-7wk scans as much for recording as for anything else. Out of my four m/cs, two showed a blighted ovum, one ended even before 6 weeks, one had a HB. If this is another anembryonic pregnancy, they can't possibly give me the "bad luck" theory I got last time. Even if we have a heartbeat, I know now not to get too excited about it, but it would still be better than the alternative.
I definitely think that putting your mind and heart at ease makes an ultrasound worth it. I know if I start to freak out that I will do an ultrasound too.
#84 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherh View Post
Hey guys. Welcome new ladies! I'm feeling pretty confident, too. I don't know if it means anything but it makes the waiting easier.

For u/s there really isn't a point in doing them at 6 weeks. With a typical uterus (not tipped or anything) I would wait until 8 weeks at least because I believe that is as soon as you're pretty much guaranteed to see a HB if baby's OK. If you go in at 6 weeks, there is too much of a chance of "there is no HB yet, so let's check in another week" type of situation. Not cool. By then, you might just want to wait until 10 or 12 weeks when midwives might be able to get a HB w/ doppler (which is still u/s but it seems that the overall exposure is less). At this point, I plan to just wait to see our midwives at 10 - 12 weeks. Unless I'm really stressed out and worried before then, then I am willing to consider an u/s for HB check at 8 weeks or later.
Yeah, that all makes sense. We saw a hb before 6 weeks with our dd, but every pgcy is different so I am sure I would not want to be left in limbo if they saw nothing. I may ask to schedule one at 9 weeks--I'm going to think about it for a day or two before calling back. I noticed the article seemed to indicate that the earlier in the pgcy the u/s was, the higher the risk. So the 3rd trimester scans to monitor baby's development wouldn't have the same risks as weekly scans in the first trimester. As Blissful has said, it's a risk/benefit thing that everyone has to decide for themselves. Definitely lots of babies are subjected to early scans and are fine.

My missed m/c had a healthy hb at 8 weeks, and absolutely everything seemed fine, I had a lot of m/s, etc, until 12 weeks when it started to taper off--which of course is normal, so I thought everything was fine. Then went to my routine 12 week visit and no hb, baby died about 2 days after my first u/s. I just am not sure if I can handle not knowing for that long again, kwim?

Quote:
I wish I could feel as confident as you all! I am too much of a cynic I guess.

Congratulations on your pregnancy! A loss can totally mess with your confidence Especially when you haven't had a living baby yet. Our first pgcy ended similar to yours (missed m/c, thought all was well) and I was terrified we would not be able to have a baby, especially because we suspect we also had a 5-6 week loss before we were married. But your chances of carrying this baby successfully are excellent--there's no reason to think your first loss was due to anything "wrong" with you--as I'm sure your dr. tells you, too. I'm so glad this thread is here. It's nice to be around people who can understand the worries of being pg after a loss.

#85 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Thanks Blissfully, sorry about the horrors you went through. Here in France they are much more laid back about everything and would never use scare tactics.

Seafox, I too, have a tipped uterus (since giving birth to DD). I wasn't aware that this could have an effect on the u/s! I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't delay the u/s a bit... last Thurs my gyn said to have a scan "in a week" (i.e. at 6 weeks). Should I wait a little longer than that?
#86 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that all makes sense. We saw a hb before 6 weeks with our dd, but every pgcy is different so I am sure I would not want to be left in limbo if they saw nothing. I may ask to schedule one at 9 weeks--I'm going to think about it for a day or two before calling back. I noticed the article seemed to indicate that the earlier in the pgcy the u/s was, the higher the risk. So the 3rd trimester scans to monitor baby's development wouldn't have the same risks as weekly scans in the first trimester. As Blissful has said, it's a risk/benefit thing that everyone has to decide for themselves. Definitely lots of babies are subjected to early scans and are fine.

My missed m/c had a healthy hb at 8 weeks, and absolutely everything seemed fine, I had a lot of m/s, etc, until 12 weeks when it started to taper off--which of course is normal, so I thought everything was fine. Then went to my routine 12 week visit and no hb, baby died about 2 days after my first u/s. I just am not sure if I can handle not knowing for that long again, kwim?
My understanding is that first trimester ultrasounds are the riskiest because that is when the brain is developing.

I am sorry for your loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoninparis View Post
Thanks Blissfully, sorry about the horrors you went through. Here in France they are much more laid back about everything and would never use scare tactics.

Seafox, I too, have a tipped uterus (since giving birth to DD). I wasn't aware that this could have an effect on the u/s! I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't delay the u/s a bit... last Thurs my gyn said to have a scan "in a week" (i.e. at 6 weeks). Should I wait a little longer than that?
I was wondering were you from when I was originally writing before, and it did not even occur to me to separate your screenname out, ha ha. In general, Europe also uses a weaker ultra-sound then in the states (so I have read), so that is another good thing to keep in mind.

I have a tipped uterus too, and I was able to get a good read at my 8 week ultrasound with ds. Perhaps you should wait until at least then, if you feel comfortable doing that.
#87 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 05:40 PM

seafox - Yeah for good #s!

I think BlissfullyLoving may be thinking along the same lines I am with the ultrasounds. I don't want to invite increased intervention. I can see HCPs offering a 6week ultrasound just to make me feel better, then if they can't see anything do another 7 or 8 week, then at the end of the 1st tri before we tell anyone... yeah, slippery slope. The thing is, no matter how many ultrasounds we might opt for, the HCPs can't help fix anything if it goes wrong. So unless the u/s might affect my care or I'd make decisions based on it, it seems better to just avoid them unless I need one for the sake of my sanity.

I can see Weaslymum's point about having documentation/better data for decisions, etc. Obviously every case is different. And it's up to each of us to figure out our cost/benefit analysis. I think BL already said that
#88 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherh View Post
I think BlissfullyLoving may be thinking along the same lines I am with the ultrasounds. I don't want to invite increased intervention. I can see HCPs offering a 6week ultrasound just to make me feel better, then if they can't see anything do another 7 or 8 week, then at the end of the 1st tri before we tell anyone... yeah, slippery slope. The thing is, no matter how many ultrasounds we might opt for, the HCPs can't help fix anything if it goes wrong. So unless the u/s might affect my care or I'd make decisions based on it, it seems better to just avoid them unless I need one for the sake of my sanity.

I can see Weaslymum's point about having documentation/better data for decisions, etc. Obviously every case is different. And it's up to each of us to figure out our cost/benefit analysis. I think BL already said that
Yeah, that is a good point. I did not articulate it the way I wanted, but that is what I was thinking. For me, if I have an ultrasound it really will be for my sanity.
#89 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter

It just occurred to me that my OB mentioned the possibility of ectopic pregnancy as a reason she wanted me to do an early ultrasound. I guess it is more common in women who have had infertility?

I don't know. I am starting to question the benefits of an ultrasound. I WANT one, because I feel like it will make me more confident...but I am bound to worry even after the ultrasound. Sonup, a close friend of mine had exactly the same situation: she had the early ultrasound, everything was fine, and then a few weeks later it was discovered that the baby had died just a day or two after the first ultrasound. YUCK.

I am dwelling again. Maybe I should go back and actually read that article Bliss recommended. It would really be pretty dumb to have an ultrasound if there is risk but no benefit. :

I am also a bit upset because I talked to the nurse at my doctor's office about the FSH test they ran on me, and she said that it was "fine" because they found basically no FSH, which is to be expected unless I am menopausal. WTF??? First of all, I thought HCG would show up in a FSH test, so I am now worried that there's no HCG in my system. Second of all, I am PREGNANT, so I am clearly NOT menopausal. Third of all, why the h*ll didn't my OB just admit she ran the test in error instead of telling me that she wanted to make sure that I'm not menopausal? If there is one thing I cannot stand in doctors, it is a lack of candor. Ugh.

Well, maybe I will end up seeing a midwife instead of an OB. It will be a lot more complicated, because I will have to see my family practice doc a bunch for my medical issue(s), and I am not quite sure that my insurance will pay for it unless I twist their arm, but I am starting to think it will be worth it.

Plus, DD has been napping for the last 3 hours. She _never_ naps anymore. She is _so_ not going to sleep tonight. Lame-o. :
#90 of 369 Old 10-06-2008, 06:49 PM

nono. I do not think your chance of an ectopic is increased because of infertility unless your infertility was caused by scar tissue on your fallopian tubes. They can also somewhat rule it out based on your hcg and progesterone. Both would be lower then expected in an ectopic. I have been doing a bit of research on this topic because I just got irrationally paranoid about it, and from what I read they may not be able to confirm placental placement this early in pregnancy. You would have to keep going in for repeat ultrasounds until they can see it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page