Isn't it early... and coffee withdrawal - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
for me to have a splitting headache and be exhausted already? I can't seem to get enough sleep. I work a horrendous overnight shift so it may be that... plus I went from a 3-large-coffee-a-day habit down to a small half regular.

Cutting down is tough. I read conflicting info on if coffee is safe and how much. ugh. Is anyone else trying to cut back?

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 10-01-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
for me to have a splitting headache and be exhausted already? I can't seem to get enough sleep. I work a horrendous overnight shift so it may be that... plus I went from a 3-large-coffee-a-day habit down to a small half regular.

Cutting down is tough. I read conflicting info on if coffee is safe and how much. ugh. Is anyone else trying to cut back?
With my last pregnancy I quit a pretty serious coffee habit cold turkey and I did end up with a bad headache, etc., for a couple of days. This time I anticipated and quit before we even started ttc.

The lack of caffeine can definitely cause a headache and fatigue, but early pregnancy can cause fatigue too. If the headache lasts more than a day or two, though, get yourself to a doctor asap.
#3 of 12 Old 10-01-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post

I feel tired too, and I do not work overnight. I do not think it is too early.

I am not a coffee drinker, but I used to indulge in a large cup of tea in the morning. My body cut it out before I was ready to. My last cup tasted terrible, and I did not even drink it. I have not even wanted another cup since.

I have heard that one cup a day is ok, but I did want to cut out all caffeine. Do not feel bad if you do not, tons of pregnant women eat caffeine loaded chocolate by the ton (and some do much worse). Many of them have healthy babies in the end. I am not telling you to drink coffee or give it up...just suggesting you follow your intuition.

Hopefully your headache goes away soon. It could be a pregnancy sign and have nothing to do with caffeine withdrawals.
#4 of 12 Old 10-01-2008, 01:21 PM

I drank 1 cup of strong coffee everyday with both my last pregnancy's and my kids are perfectly fine. (4.5 and 7 years old) I would just drink as much as you need to feel comfortable.
#5 of 12 Old 10-02-2008, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am conscious of the amount and frequency of caffeine that I ingest, which for me is usually a cup of coffee with cream every 2 or 3 days. That being said, if I felt so inclined I wouldn't hesitate to drink it. The only credible research about coffee shows a SLIGHT increase in the rate of m/c in women who have more than 300mg of caffeine per day. There's about 150-200 in a cup of coffee, depending how strong... less in tea. That risk seems to disappear after about 14 weeks. Good luck with the headaches.

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to 3 wonderful children: dd10, dd8 and ds5
#6 of 12 Old 10-03-2008, 03:08 AM

Yea, I'm kicking my two-three a day habit, and I've been indulging once every four days or so. In my experience, caffeine headaches can last three days, but they shouldn't get worse, they should lighten each day.

I agree with blissful_maia, however, I have also heard statistics that pretty convincingly relate high caffeine intake (300+ mg a day) with premature labor in multiple pregnancies and women with a history of premature labor. So, if I find out I'm having multiples ( I will definitely be kicking all caffeine.

With my first, I started drinking coffee once every two days in my third trimester. But before then, I was entirely caffeine free.
#7 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 01:22 PM

I was just drinking some tea, and checking out how much caffeine I was taking in. I found this list, and I thought I would share. http://coffeetea.about.com/library/blcaffeine.htm
#8 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyLoving View Post
I was just drinking some tea, and checking out how much caffeine I was taking in. I found this list, and I thought I would share. http://coffeetea.about.com/library/blcaffeine.htm

Thanks for that link. I found out I'm pregnant yesterday and I did have one half cup of coffee this morning (although the only reason I had only a half cup was because I couldn't find where I set my coffee down!).
#9 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
Thanks for that link. I found out I'm pregnant yesterday and I did have one half cup of coffee this morning (although the only reason I had only a half cup was because I couldn't find where I set my coffee down!).
I forgot what day of the week it was twice this week while looking at a calender.
#10 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 03:22 PM

Oh man i feel bad for you!!! i stopped drinking 3 cups a day in January and....well...i was REALLY mean. I remember that headache....you poor thing. It goes away after a few days though
#11 of 12 Old 10-08-2008, 03:52 PM

I cut back from a grande latte in the morning and coke in the afternoon to a small latte in the morning and water the rest of the day.

It hasen't affected me too much-- no headaches or such. I actually like the taste of water best right now, but I have a 20 month old that nurses all night long so I need the morning kick start.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#12 of 12 Old 10-09-2008, 01:30 PM

I had a massive caffeine addiction (3 cups of coffee, 2 glasses of iced tea, a soda per day). I found out I am pg last week, and have slowly weaned myself off. I had headaches for a couple of days, but who knows if it was the caffeine or the pregnancy. Today is my first day without any coffee at all, and that is just because I find the smell and taste nauseating all of the sudden!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page