Weekly Chat Thread (Oct 4) - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 146 Old 10-09-2008, 10:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So.... my first Midwife appointment went great.
We just chatted for about an hour and 10 minutes. Talked about the midwife model of care, her training, what sort of prenatal / postnatal / labour care they offer, and all sorts of stuff. It was great for my husband to hear it from her too. Her and a second midwife do shared care, so I hope I like the other one just as much!

They are totally open as far as what I want or don't want during the pregnancy and nothing is mandatory. I'm very happy to have found them so early!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#122 of 146 Old 10-09-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
We just chatted for about an hour and 10 minutes. Talked about the midwife model of care, her training, what sort of prenatal / postnatal / labour care they offer, and all sorts of stuff. It was great for my husband to hear it from her too. Her and a second midwife do shared care, so I hope I like the other one just as much!

They are totally open as far as what I want or don't want during the pregnancy and nothing is mandatory. I'm very happy to have found them so early!
That is awesome!! I am so happy for you guys Finding a midwife you click with is awesome I wish I had that option..

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#123 of 146 Old 10-09-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin View Post

Yay, that sounds awesome I'm hoping to switch to a midwife team next month...I hope I have as much success as you did!

Is anyone planning on having a doula as well?

Me joy.gif, DP treehugger.gif, S bikenew.gif and L babyboy.gif
#124 of 146 Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
That is awesome!! I am so happy for you guys Finding a midwife you click with is awesome I wish I had that option..
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen358 View Post
Yay, that sounds awesome I'm hoping to switch to a midwife team next month...I hope I have as much success as you did!

Yep, I'm really happy that it looks like things will work out with these midwives. I'm really comfortable with them so far. the only unfortunate thing is that we won't be covered for any of their care so it will be straight out of pocket. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind, though....

I haven't decided if I want a doula or not. I think dh will be able to be really supportive. He actually saw his aunt have a home birth when he was 14 or so, so he's not at all freaked out about it. It's something we'll have to discuss as we get closer.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#125 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 12:12 AM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I'm happy to find out today that there is a place for me to cross the state line to so my midwife can come attend my birth. : I really love my midwife.

I'm saddened that her apprentice who caught my last son is moving very far away though.

I obviously told them the news today, and I'll see my midwife in 8 weeks! We're making plans for how to get me there fast enough to actually have a waterbirth this time. Last time, we didn't get the tub filled fast enough, and I'll bet I wouldn't have torn at all if I'd been in the tub (just had a first degree tear from birthing on a birthing stool... healed very quickly and I felt GREAT after the birth... so it wasn't bad or anything).

Still waiting on my DH to get home from work... He doesn't know about the pregnancy yet!! All my close friends know, everyone online knows... My DH will know as soon as he gets home from work. But he had to work late... called me at 6pm and said it'd be "late late", and well, it's 10pm and he's not here yet, so he wasn't kidding! At least he gets paid overtime, and that will help pay the midwife fee.

We're not doing a doula, since my midwife always has an assistant with her anyway (often either another midwife or an apprentice). And my DH is *awesome* at supporting me through labor. So I just don't need a doula. If I were in a hospital, I'd definitely want one (I did have a hospital birth without one, but labor went fast, so I never really had the need for any extra support besides my DH... I had the numbers of several area doulas that were willing to do it for free if I had called them).

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#126 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 12:55 AM

Hi everyone...

Talked to someone at the midwives clinic today. They took my info and said they would call me in a few weeks to let me know if they could take me on. Keep you fingers crossed for me!!
Otherwise feeling not too bad... tired and crampy. Nervous and excited...
#127 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yay Carlin! That is wonderful that you found a great midwife!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nnejy View Post
Hi everyone...
Talked to someone at the midwives clinic today. They took my info and said they would call me in a few weeks to let me know if they could take me on. Keep you fingers crossed for me!!
:
#128 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 10:16 AM

Today is the day AF would have come. I'm feeling a little nervous because I have NEVER gotten a BFP before AF was due, so I'm feeling like I need to get through this day and then things will really be okay. Kind of stupid, I know, and I'm trying not worry because that doesn't help anything!
#129 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
Today is the day AF would have come. I'm feeling a little nervous because I have NEVER gotten a BFP before AF was due, so I'm feeling like I need to get through this day and then things will really be okay. Kind of stupid, I know, and I'm trying not worry because that doesn't help anything!
I felt the same way. I got a bfp a full week before af was due, and I spent the week preparing for af.
#130 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 11:35 AM

Maxwill . I can totally understand why you'd feel that way, no matter how unlikely that is. Once today is over, you'll have one less thing to worry about.

#131 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 11:59 AM

maxwill I felt *exactly* the same so you are definitely not alone. I was expecting AF around Wednesday and every day past that day feels great. Of course, then there are other things to worry about....

I just ate a far too big lunch as me and DH went out with my Dad and Stepmum (we are back in the UK for a short visit)...am now feeling even more bloated and regretting it...*and* I have a big dinner coming tonight *bluergh*

So, during lunch my Dad tells us some very exciting news: my cousin and his wife are pregnant!! heehee I hope I managed to look normal and not stuck-in-the-headlights-mustn't-give-anything-away. I think we both managed. The baby is due in April so just two month before ours Amusingly, I had a long conversation with the mum-to-be at another cousin's wedding in Sept about when we might start having babies...she didn't give anything away - that must have been hard for her as she was already two months

Mama to DD (June '09) and very newly expecting #2 Oct '11
#132 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 02:50 PM

Thanks, everyone. Today has been an exciting day for us as far as DH getting another EMT job (he had one lined up but it would have been a commute). This one is closer to us and he gets to be in a rig with a paramedic actually doing 911 calls (the other job would have been him and another EMT doing hospital transports).

summerbaby, I don't know how you guys managed to keep your mouth shut! There's no way I could have, but then again, I have a big mouth!
#133 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks, everyone. Today has been an exciting day for us as far as DH getting another EMT job (he had one lined up but it would have been a commute). This one is closer to us and he gets to be in a rig with a paramedic actually doing 911 calls (the other job would have been him and another EMT doing hospital transports).
Yay for dh!
#134 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmen358 View Post

It depends how we end up birthing. If I have another hospital birth, yes, I will have doula. Although I've heard through the grapevine that the doula from my last birth is not practicing anymore. If I have a homebith than probably not. I'm pretty solitary when I birth and really only want DH around me until it's necessary for the midwife to be there.

Quote:
Hi everyone...

Congratulations! I hope you get in to the practice you want!

Quote:
Hang in there, mama! I'm sure it will be fine.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#135 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoody11 View Post
It depends how we end up birthing. If I have another hospital birth, yes, I will have doula. Although I've heard through the grapevine that the doula from my last birth is not practicing anymore. If I have a homebith than probably not. I'm pretty solitary when I birth and really only want DH around me until it's necessary for the midwife to be there.
Me too, and actually did not like having dh around either. I had a fast labor, and spend 90% of laboring alone.
#136 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 05:16 PM

Having lot's of cramps the last day or so... is anyone else experiencing this? I keep reading that it can be normal, but it still makes me anxious! No spotting or anything... just feels like menstrual cramps.
Any second or 3rd time mama's with a little wisdom for a first timer??
#137 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Having lot's of cramps the last day or so... is anyone else experiencing this? I keep reading that it can be normal, but it still makes me anxious! No spotting or anything... just feels like menstrual cramps.
I have cramping too. I had it with ds, and my last pregnancy. It is really common in healthy pregnancies. During pregnancy your uterus contracts the whole time...it is just mild and usually you do not feel it.
#138 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 05:35 PM

Quote:
It's very common. It's nerve-wracking, though, and this is not my first. My 4th pgcy, I was so sure af was showing up that I was popping the tylenol and just kept waiting and waiting, finally took a hpt and was shocked to see bfp!
How far along are you?

I had a good day Had an u/s (I'm 5w5d) and the tech started with the abdominal u/s, pointed out to me what she thought could be the fetal pole, sac, and she even thought she saw a hb. So she then did transvaginal u/s and yep, there it was! I didn't realize how sure I was that we wouldn't see anything. I was dumbfounded. hb was 115 bpm, which she said was good. As baby grows, hb increases to 120-180bpm then slows before delivery. Baby measured 5w6d.: So there it is. I think I was expecting a blighted ovum because my original prog level was so very low. Right away, I saw a blank black shape on the screen and thought that was my uterus and felt no surprise not to see anything inside. Turns out I don't know how to read an u/s So now I'm thrilled and scared and relieved and hopeful

I want this to be as much of a simple, hands-off pgcy as possible from this point. Not sure if I'll stay with this practice or switch to the birth center. But I'm glad not to have to go for any more tests or u/s or appts for a while (if all goes well, and I sure hope it does

: to us all

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#139 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post
I had a good day Had an u/s (I'm 5w5d) and the tech started with the abdominal u/s, pointed out to me what she thought could be the fetal pole, sac, and she even thought she saw a hb. So she then did transvaginal u/s and yep, there it was! I didn't realize how sure I was that we wouldn't see anything. I was dumbfounded. hb was 115 bpm, which she said was good. As baby grows, hb increases to 120-180bpm then slows before delivery. Baby measured 5w6d.: So there it is. I think I was expecting a blighted ovum because my original prog level was so very low. Right away, I saw a blank black shape on the screen and thought that was my uterus and felt no surprise not to see anything inside. Turns out I don't know how to read an u/s So now I'm thrilled and scared and relieved and hopeful

I want this to be as much of a simple, hands-off pgcy as possible from this point. Not sure if I'll stay with this practice or switch to the birth center. But I'm glad not to have to go for any more tests or u/s or appts for a while (if all goes well, and I sure hope it does

I am so happy for you. :
#140 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
It's very common. It's nerve-wracking, though, and this is not my first. My 4th pgcy, I was so sure af was showing up that I was popping the tylenol and just kept waiting and waiting, finally took a hpt and was shocked to see bfp!
How far along are you?

: Congratulations.
#141 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 06:00 PM

Wow Deb, what a fantastic, reassuring appointment! : I'm so glad it went well!

#142 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Cramping is normal. I've had it in all my pregnancies. I was having AF-like cramps the day before AF was due, the day AF was due, and the day after. It's not been so bad today (2 days past AF being due). No spotting or bleeding. It's just my uterus stretching and getting ready to grow. I very distinctly remember talking about the cramping in my previous DDCs, and cramping during the first trimester is very typical of a healthy pregnancy.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#143 of 146 Old 10-10-2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks boscopup. That's very reassuring. My brain knows cramping is normal, but it still worries me. Of course, it also worries me when it stops.

#144 of 146 Old 10-11-2008, 04:56 AM

Quote:
I had a good day Had an u/s (I'm 5w5d) and the tech started with the abdominal u/s, pointed out to me what she thought could be the fetal pole, sac, and she even thought she saw a hb. So she then did transvaginal u/s and yep, there it was! I didn't realize how sure I was that we wouldn't see anything. I was dumbfounded. hb was 115 bpm, which she said was good. As baby grows, hb increases to 120-180bpm then slows before delivery. Baby measured 5w6d.: So there it is.

What great news!
#145 of 146 Old 10-11-2008, 08:38 AM

sonuptosondown thats great, how very reassuring!

I have been feeling worried because I have been having no symptoms really at all. With my last two I was pretty darn nauseated by this point. What do other people think? I had the most vivid dream I miscarried the other night. So I think subconsciously I'm worried although I've never miscarried before. Its very difficult early pregnancy, isn't it?

Me, my Husband and three little Boys! 7, 5 and 7 1/2 months! Life is good!
#146 of 146 Old 10-11-2008, 09:25 AM - Thread Starter

crazy- I do not have many symptoms that I can definitely say are definitely caused by pregnancy. When I did miscarry I had a ton of strong pregnancy symptoms right away, so there is no guarantee between symptoms and baby. I agree that early pregnancy, when you cannot feel the baby moving around for reassurances, is very difficult. I wish there was a little window into the womb to see that everything is ok all the time.

Here is the new thread everyone! I am hoping that a new thread every week will keep it small enough for everyone to feel welcome to participate. Come and join me! http://www.mothering.com/discussions...4#post12364034

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page