Weekly Chat Thread (Oct 4) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I thought we could start a generic chat thread about our day to day changes, feelings, life, what we are eating and whatever else (that might not make it into a thread). I thought it would help us get to know one another better.

I will start. I was four weeks on Thursday. I am not noticing too much difference yet. I have a lot of uterine contractions, ligament stretching, breast soreness, and super hungry all the time, but that is about it. I am very picky about what I eat anyway, and constantly changing my preferences, so at this stage it is hard to know if the pregnancy is factoring into that at all. I really started to notice some food changes around 6-7 weeks with ds. Maybe it will be that long this time too?

I got my bfp one week ago today. : One of my very first symptoms (besides the after O sore breasts) was an uti. I got it a few days after O, and ended up taking antibiotics after doing everything I heard to get rid of it naturally. It was over a week with the infection before I got the antibiotics, so I am hoping that neither will have ill effects on the baby. If you know a horror story about someone with a uti or antibiotics during pregnancy, PLEASE DO NOT SHARE. I want to stay positive.

Ds started the fall session of swim lessons today. It did not go too well. He went up a level and parent's were not allowed to join the swimmers. Ds (and I when I found out because I asked that before we signed up) was upset. He has no water fears, but he likes having the security of us close. It is a little scary to me that one instructer thinks she is competent enough to watch twelve 4 year olds. What if there were ever two kids that went under at the same time? The pool is 5 feet deep where they swim. That is my complaint for the day.

Tonight we are having my sister in law over. She has two kids ds's age, so they will have a lot of fun playing.

Oh, lunch is here. We got some take-in. I am having a cajun chicken pasta with garlic alfredo sauce. Yum.

How are all of you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 02:43 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Hey mama! Try not to worry about the UTI, TONS of women get them in pregnancy. The only risk is preterm labor if they aren't treated for a long time, but the fact that yours is gone means that you can put it behind you. That sucks though, I hate UTIs! I think I got 3 in my first pregnancy... haven't had one since. : that it stays that way.

So, I am 5 weeks and 2 days pregnant! It's so unbelievable to me, even though I was TTC insanely that it actually happened. I am so happy, but haven't shared with anyone besides dh, one of the midwives in my practice, and my best friend. I can't wait to tell dd1, because she will be SO excited. She has been helping me monitor my fertility signs etc. The other day she was going on and on about making a baby brother, and all of a sudden it looked like a light went on in her head. She smirked and said "you and daddy need to make love when you have lots of mucus!". I think that is just hilarious! Anyway, we haven't told her because we want to tell my parents and ILs first. I am a little worried about their reaction... I know they will warm up to the idea in time, but will be judgmental at first about timing, $ etc. Even though I feel confident in our choice, this is weighing heavily on me right now.

Swimming lessons... that reminds me I need to sign my dds up for some this season! We have beeen going for walks/bike rides galore, running our errands along the way, enjoying the really brisk fresh air! Soon it will be super-snowy here, so we're enjoying the weather.

Mmmm.... food. We're having dd2's second birthday party today, and I am SO excited for the spread. I'm making veggies with pesto hummus, a fruit salad, wild shrimp with homemade seafood sauce, spinach dip with pumpernickel bread, cheese and crackers, chips with homemade mango-tomato salsa. I also got an organic ice cream cake for her birthday cake, and it took all my will not to bust it out of the freezer and eat it last night!

Oh, and I caught 3 gorgeous babies this week! It's always special, but especially when I know I have my own soft, fuzzy newborn on the way!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#3 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 02:49 PM

Hmm, not much going on here. DH starts IRT this coming week and will be deploying end of this month, which I am not so much looking forward to but this should be a pretty short deployment and he should be back in March, so in time for DS's 1st birthday and the end of this pregnancy and the birth! I need to do massive amounts of laundry today which is not enjoyable but I hate the house being messy too!!

Food wise... I am having a lot of trouble finding foods that actually sound good. Everything just sounds kinda, bleh... hopefully that passes soon!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#4 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 03:22 PM

hi ladies!

blissfulyloving, sorry about your uti. i have occasional burning sensations that make wonder if it's a uti coming on.

blissful_maia, how awesome to be a midwife! i used to hvae that dream but i know i couldn't handle the pressure.

chely, i'm sorry to hear about the deployment. that must be really rough for you.

i'm doing ok over here. this pregnancy is a complete unplanned surprise and i feel like i'm the only one who is a little unhappy about it. there is a little bit of joy too of course.

i don't feel nauseated yet but i have loose stools, which is pretty typical for me. nothing tastes very good but that's actually a blessing for me. it's forcing me to eat mostly fruit, which is healthy and makes my stomach feel al itlte better too.

hope to get to know you all better!

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#5 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

blissful_maia, that is really funny about your dd. 3 babies in one week! Wow! Did you get any sleep? Have a fun birthday party!

chely7425, sorry dh has to leave you for so long. I hope that he is not away for a moment longer then expected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmom View Post
blissfulyloving, sorry about your uti. i have occasional burning sensations that make wonder if it's a uti coming on.
I get that too when I do not get enough water (not dehydrated by any means, but needing more water). I think this feeling is a common side effect of all the progesterone. I do not have an infection, it is just my urethra is irritated.

Quote:
i'm doing ok over here. this pregnancy is a complete unplanned surprise and i feel like i'm the only one who is a little unhappy about it. there is a little bit of joy too of course.
I can only imagine how hard it is to juggle all of the emotions of an unexpected pregnancy. I hope that you can get all the support you need from us and people in real life.
#6 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 03:41 PM

Thanks for starting the thread. I am FIVE WEEKS today. : And already queasy. AND already having weird cravings/food aversions. Milk, which is one of my staples, and which I drank _every_ day in my last pregnancy, tastes really bizarre/gross. I'm not sure how to make up for the lost calories & fat so I am pretty much always hungry. Eating a lot of fruit too. Plus I seriously already have pregnancy brain. :

My mother tells a story about my first swimming lessons, and how they had the same rule, but I put up such a fuss and wouldn't let anyone else near me that they ended up asking my mom to come & sit in. : I think they have those rules because parents are so obnoxious otherwise--yelling at their kids, etc.--that the kids don't pay attention. If you/DS are really uncomfortable, you don't have to do it. I'm not questioning your decision, I'm just saying you can always change your mind.
#7 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
Thanks for starting the thread. I am FIVE WEEKS today. : And already queasy. AND already having weird cravings/food aversions. Milk, which is one of my staples, and which I drank _every_ day in my last pregnancy, tastes really bizarre/gross. I'm not sure how to make up for the lost calories & fat so I am pretty much always hungry. Eating a lot of fruit too. Plus I seriously already have pregnancy brain. :
Yay for 5 weeks! Is it just cow's milk that you have an aversion to? How about rice milk or almond milk? Could you stomach nuts for fat and calories? That is easy. Is it just milk straight or anything containing milk? How about a scoop of ice cream?

Quote:
My mother tells a story about my first swimming lessons, and how they had the same rule, but I put up such a fuss and wouldn't let anyone else near me that they ended up asking my mom to come & sit in. : I think they have those rules because parents are so obnoxious otherwise--yelling at their kids, etc.--that the kids don't pay attention. If you/DS are really uncomfortable, you don't have to do it. I'm not questioning your decision, I'm just saying you can always change your mind.
Ds would not get in the pool without dh. Swimming class is something they do together. I was not even there. Dh and ds stood on the side watching all the other kids. Ds came home hysterically crying, and dh said he cried during the class before they left. I was really upset about the whole situation, and mad at dh for the way he handled it. I do not think he was particularly empathetic to ds, but he was still very loving (if that makes sense). After they came home I asked ds if he wanted to try that class again, or if we should try to sign up for the old class. He wants the old class. We tried to call to change his class back to the old class, but we could not get anyone. I will call on Monday and see if there is room left for him. That might work out better because there is free pool time after that class, and he loves to stay and swim around.
#8 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyLoving View Post
Yay for 5 weeks! Is it just cow's milk that you have an aversion to? How about rice milk or almond milk? Could you stomach nuts for fat and calories? That is easy. Is it just milk straight or anything containing milk? How about a scoop of ice cream?

Ds would not get in the pool without dh. Swimming class is something they do together. I was not even there. Dh and ds stood on the side watching all the other kids. Ds came home hysterically crying, and dh said he cried during the class before they left. I was really upset about the whole situation, and mad at dh for the way he handled it. I do not think he was particularly empathetic to ds, but he was still very loving (if that makes sense). After they came home I asked ds if he wanted to try that class again, or if we should try to sign up for the old class. He wants the old class. We tried to call to change his class back to the old class, but we could not get anyone. I will call on Monday and see if there is room left for him. That might work out better because there is free pool time after that class, and he loves to stay and swim around.
I eat a lot of nuts anyway. I'm not sure I could work more into my diet. And I'm sure I could do rice milk but the problem is that it is mostly sugar and has very little fat. So it's not really a nutritional equivalent to (whole) cow's milk. I have been able to eat cheese, but I keep thinking that there is a reason I don't like milk and I should avoid all dairy. It shouldn't be super hard for me to do, as milk is really the only dairy I eat regularly...since my husband is almost vegan. Thanks for the suggestions, though. Maybe I should just start drinking olive oil.

Awww, poor kid. I hope you get him back into the old class. Or maybe your DH can teach him to swim without a class. I'm sure it can't be _that_ hard. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for you.
#9 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I eat a lot of nuts anyway. I'm not sure I could work more into my diet. And I'm sure I could do rice milk but the problem is that it is mostly sugar and has very little fat. So it's not really a nutritional equivalent to (whole) cow's milk. I have been able to eat cheese, but I keep thinking that there is a reason I don't like milk and I should avoid all dairy. It shouldn't be super hard for me to do, as milk is really the only dairy I eat regularly...since my husband is almost vegan. Thanks for the suggestions, though. Maybe I should just start drinking olive oil.
If you already eat a lot of nuts then you probably do not need to substitute the cow's milk. It does not sound like you are deficient in the supposed benefits of cow's milk.

I agree that if I cannot tolerate a product I tend to think there is a reason. East what you can, take your prenatals, and I am sure if you are missing something from your diet your body will start to crave it.

Quote:
Awww, poor kid. I hope you get him back into the old class. Or maybe your DH can teach him to swim without a class. I'm sure it can't be _that_ hard. Anyway, keeping my fingers crossed for you.
We do a lot of swimming here. The lessons (in the other class) are fun and give us access to the pool in cold months. It was learning through water play.
#10 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 04:44 PM

Quote:
If you already eat a lot of nuts then you probably do not need to substitute the cow's milk. It does not sound like you are deficient in the supposed benefits of cow's milk.

I agree that if I cannot tolerate a product I tend to think there is a reason. East what you can, take your prenatals, and I am sure if you are missing something from your diet your body will start to crave it.
Are you vegan? You sound like it. : The thing is that I _do_ crave cow's milk, but then I _taste_ it and suddenly I want to hurl. : I have a VERY low fat diet other than the milk (and the nuts, I suppose). Basically just a bit of olive oil here & there. We do not do the SAD at _all_.
#11 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 04:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Are you vegan? You sound like it. : The thing is that I _do_ crave cow's milk, but then I _taste_ it and suddenly I want to hurl. : I have a VERY low fat diet other than the milk (and the nuts, I suppose). Basically just a bit of olive oil here & there. We do not do the SAD at _all_.
Nope, not vegan...at all. I LOVE cheese! I just am very skeptical of the supposed dietary benefits of cow's milk. I do love my dairy though! I like a diametrical lifestyle.

I think your body will start craving fat if you are not getting enough, but I am sure you can find some ways to sneak it in there if you are concerned. Coconut oil is very yummy. I have heard of people just eating it straight. Do you like olives? Peanut butter? Are you a vegetarian? I am guessing that even if you are not then you probably typically eat like one with your dh being a vegan? If not perhaps you can squeeze in a couple of meals a week with animal fat, if you can stomach it. That would really boost your fat intake.
#12 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Nope, not vegan...at all. I LOVE cheese! I just am very skeptical of the supposed dietary benefits of cow's milk. I do love my dairy though! I like a diametrical lifestyle.

I think your body will start craving fat if you are not getting enough, but I am sure you can find some ways to sneak it in there if you are concerned. Coconut oil is very yummy. I have heard of people just eating it straight. Do you like olives? Peanut butter? Are you a vegetarian? I am guessing that even if you are not then you probably typically eat like one with your dh being a vegan? If not perhaps you can squeeze in a couple of meals a week with animal fat, if you can stomach it. That would really boost your fat intake.
for a diametrical lifestyle. I like to say that I am fickle.

Ohhhh, yes, I am veggie. No animal fat for me...except for an egg here & there and (in the past) several glasses of milk a day. Yeah, I agree that milk is over-promoted. But I have always loved it, until now. Yum, coconut oil. Yum, olives. Yum, peanut butter. I wish today was grocery day.

If I only had lime leaves, I could make sweet potatoes with coconut milk. Hmmm...what's for supper? I have delicata squash, cabbage, potatoes...I wonder if the squash would be good with (nutritional yeast) "cheese."
#13 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 05:29 PM

Sorry about the UTI! That early, your body isn't communicating with the baby yet so anything you ingest does not reach the baby so I don't think you have anything to worry about with the antibiotics. I dank last weekend but I think it was too early for me on that end as well.

I'm 4 weeks today. I tested Monday and got a BFN but last night I got my BFP and took another test this morning to be sure. I just knew I was pregnant because of a dream that I had a couple weeks ago. I can't escape my dreams...they tell me everything about my pregnancies. Also started having some signs, namely my appetite (it's gone) and aversions/cravings. As soon as I get pregnant, I start only wanting fresh and light foods and am even more particular than usual. Poor dh is probably not looking forward to going through this again with figuring out what to do for dinner every night.
#14 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:

Ohhhh, yes, I am veggie. No animal fat for me...except for an egg here & there and (in the past) several glasses of milk a day. Yeah, I agree that milk is over-promoted. But I have always loved it, until now. Yum, coconut oil. Yum, olives. Yum, peanut butter. I wish today was grocery day.

If I only had lime leaves, I could make sweet potatoes with coconut milk. Hmmm...what's for supper? I have delicata squash, cabbage, potatoes...I wonder if the squash would be good with (nutritional yeast) "cheese."
I made sweet potato enchilladas last night for dinner and they were excellent!! I do the coconut oil straight as well and put it in most everything.
#15 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 05:42 PM

oh good, i'm not the only veggie here! we've been vegan for years now but with each pregnancy, i cave and eat some dairy. i hope this pregnancy will be different. not only do i hate to think about what dairy cows go through, i don't want to gain a ton of weight. i typically gain on the high end and i would love to keep it lower.

i'm glad to see this thread growing.

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#16 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
oh good, i'm not the only veggie here! we've been vegan for years now but with each pregnancy, i cave and eat some dairy. i hope this pregnancy will be different. not only do i hate to think about what dairy cows go through, i don't want to gain a ton of weight. i typically gain on the high end and i would love to keep it lower.

i'm glad to see this thread growing.
Yeah, I feel bad about the cows too. And the environment. I do buy only organic milk, though, so it's not as bad as it could be. It's still pretty bad. Maybe it'll be a good thing if I end up dairy-free this pregnancy. Though I actually have the opposite trouble with weight gain (or I did during my last pregnancy), so it could be an issue. Ah well.
#17 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_brycesmom View Post
I made sweet potato enchilladas last night for dinner and they were excellent!! I do the coconut oil straight as well and put it in most everything.
Sweet potato enchilladas??? I am intrigued.
#18 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 06:39 PM

I know I'm pregnant when I'm so tired, shopping isn't fun. I usually enjoy all types of shopping, including grocery shopping, but now, my energy is so low, I just...would rather be home in the bathtub.

Something about being pregnant, I take a bath every day. Two, if I didn't feel so guilty about the waste of water. We really need to invest in a hot tub to save water. We'll see how that goes over on the ol' husband.

The errands we did really need to run today, I smelled all kinds of barfy, funkadelic things. Yuck. Wonder if they were really there or if it was the hormones.

Foggy brain has been here for over a week, since this egg implanted, the best I can guess. HI LITTLE BABY! MOMMY KNOWS YOU'RE IN THERE! CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU!!! Will you stick to the healthy foods I'm eating for you instead of my brain cells, please?
#19 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yes, I am definitely fickle. I had a crummy/delicious dinner. Plain old cheese pizza. It tasted so good.

Quote:
Sorry about the UTI! That early, your body isn't communicating with the baby yet so anything you ingest does not reach the baby so I don't think you have anything to worry about with the antibiotics. I dank last weekend but I think it was too early for me on that end as well.

I'm 4 weeks today. I tested Monday and got a BFN but last night I got my BFP and took another test this morning to be sure. I just knew I was pregnant because of a dream that I had a couple weeks ago. I can't escape my dreams...they tell me everything about my pregnancies. Also started having some signs, namely my appetite (it's gone) and aversions/cravings. As soon as I get pregnant, I start only wanting fresh and light foods and am even more particular than usual. Poor dh is probably not looking forward to going through this again with figuring out what to do for dinner every night.
Dh goes through the same thing. Last night we went back and forth over dinner and groceries, and I could not commit to anything. Everything sounded so blah...not terrible just not very appetizing.

Quote:
Yeah, I feel bad about the cows too. And the environment. I do buy only organic milk, though, so it's not as bad as it could be. It's still pretty bad. Maybe it'll be a good thing if I end up dairy-free this pregnancy. Though I actually have the opposite trouble with weight gain (or I did during my last pregnancy), so it could be an issue. Ah well.
There is a lot of cow farming even with organic companies. I would be careful which brand you buy if you are concerned about that. One option is to look into small local farms. I can get raw or pasturized milk from many small farms around me (so hopefully that is an option for you), and you can even get to know the cows and your farm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTC View Post
I know I'm pregnant when I'm so tired, shopping isn't fun. I usually enjoy all types of shopping, including grocery shopping, but now, my energy is so low, I just...would rather be home in the bathtub.

Something about being pregnant, I take a bath every day. Two, if I didn't feel so guilty about the waste of water. We really need to invest in a hot tub to save water. We'll see how that goes over on the ol' husband.

The errands we did really need to run today, I smelled all kinds of barfy, funkadelic things. Yuck. Wonder if they were really there or if it was the hormones.

Foggy brain has been here for over a week, since this egg implanted, the best I can guess. HI LITTLE BABY! MOMMY KNOWS YOU'RE IN THERE! CAN'T WAIT TO MEET YOU!!! Will you stick to the healthy foods I'm eating for you instead of my brain cells, please?
Sorry you are so tired. I have the stay in bed all day feeling too. I love to take baths, but I like them so hot I am scared of raising my temp too much.

me: Our company just left a little while ago. I am so tired. Ds had a great time with his cousins, and it was nice to have some adult time too. I will probably be asleep very soon. I have a bunch of errands to do tomorrow. I got a maternity skirt, and I am not sure how I feel about it. I guess that is probably a good indication that I do not like it. The color is just a little different then I expected. I might return it too.
#20 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 11:11 PM

I got a maternity skirt, and I am not sure how I feel about it. I guess that is probably a good indication that I do not like it. The color is just a little different then I expected. I might return it too

For some reason, that struck me as funny. Don't know why. Maybe because it's something I would do. If I had the energy to shop

Go girl!!!
#21 of 146 Old 10-04-2008, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTC View Post
I got a maternity skirt, and I am not sure how I feel about it. I guess that is probably a good indication that I do not like it. The color is just a little different then I expected. I might return it too

For some reason, that struck me as funny. Don't know why. Maybe because it's something I would do. If I had the energy to shop

Go girl!!!
Online shopping! That is pretty much the only way I shop...get to stay in bed and shop.
#22 of 146 Old 10-05-2008, 12:47 AM

Hey mamas!

I really enjoyed reading this thread, and the whole due date club idea! As you know, we have a surrgoate, so I feel very removed from the pregnancy (6 weeks on Monday), but this is really helping me "feel" pregnant. Yay for your guys!! Of course our surro M and I talk & text at least once a day so I am really very lucky.

M is very, very naeseous and can't handle the smell of anything. Even the smell of her 2 year old DD is grossing her out. I hope this passes quickly for her. I bought her a big bag of almonds and pistachios so she can always have a little snack, whenever she feels the urge to eat. All she has been wanting to eat is bread and cheese. She is really, really tired as well.

We had our second beta test on Thursday and according to the beta calculator, we have higher hcg levels than an average single baby, and lower than average multiple babies, so not sure if we have 1 or 2 little babies in there. I assume the higher hcg levels is what is giving M the intense symptoms. I think we go for our first u/s not this week, but the next one. Right now we are still with the RE and after 12 weeks we transfer to a regular OB Gyn.

The weather is starting to get cooler here (Canada brrrr) so we are looking at finishing some indoor projects like painting the hall and other things like that. The people who know about the pregnancy ask when we are going to start on the nursery and look at me quite strange when I say the baby will be in our room ... I am expected many, many more of those looks for the next ummm 18 years!

I am sorry you guys are all exhausted and starting to feel queasy. Sending positive wishes that the symptoms are mild!

And Blissfully, glad the UTI has cleared up, those are the worst.

Christie I noticed there was another Christie here, so maybe I will stick with Critty so it won't be confusing ...
#23 of 146 Old 10-05-2008, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Cristie (Critty), I am so happy that you are feeling pregnant. Yay!

Good luck at the ultrasound.

Ds sleeps with us, but he has his own room for toys, books, and clothes (our room is not big enough to contain all of that). I am not sure if you were planning on doing something similar, but it tends to keep people's questions minimal. We did not have a crib in there, and we would just say that ds was going to sleep with us.

Good luck with the home projects! We have a few ideas for projects around the house too. Not sure when we will start them up. I do not even feel like doing laundry right now.
#24 of 146 Old 10-05-2008, 10:06 AM

Hello everyone!
I'm 5 wks. and 2 days, Which is funny to me because with my first two pregnancies I had pretty intense morning sickness and i'm really not feeling any of that so far. I keep looking at my preg. tests to make sure they're postive! I am trying to be really conscious of what I eat because with this one i'd rather not gain a lot of weight where i'll be in school full time till May. We still haven't told our families yet- holding out till Thanksgiving (Nov)- it may work it may not depending how preggo I look. My kids are well, they are 3 and 6 yr old boys. The older one has some special needs which makes life challenging at times but I'm trying to stay focused and calm so I can be the best mom to him. Well I'm off to start a research paper yuck! Have a Wonderful Day! Is anyone thinking of names yet?

Me, my Husband and three little Boys! 7, 5 and 7 1/2 months! Life is good!
#25 of 146 Old 10-05-2008, 10:12 AM

Veggie here too! I have a question: do you think we need to watch our soy intake? I am lactose sensitive and don't really do eggs or dairy unless they are in something... like cake : but I am concerned about all the soy hype. Especially with DD, who is lactose intolerant. We had to supplement when I was nursing and she gets lactose-free, milk based formula. I want to give her soy yogurt but not if it is going to be an issue.

I got waaaay off track there! I am an eating machine lately. I can't stand regular water, oddly- I am drinking part seltzer, part juice, and part regular water. It is the only way I can get water in! and I am JONESING for kale. Oh, and the weird dreams are starting- last night I dreamt that I was in London with Gordon Ramsay and he told me he knows I want him and although I am a beautiful lady, he has his eye on someone else. HOW DARE HE! haha!

OK, enough of my rambling. Being pregnant is really motivating me to do some stuff around the house!

ETA: with my first pregnancy, I was never very big, and I think the pregnancy was unusual in every way. With my second, I was bigger but never huge- both times I started to show around 5 months, but I swear my boobs are bigger already, and I suspect I will be showing by 3 months. I already look like I have a spare tire, which could be due to how much I have been eating...how early did you all show with past pregnancies?

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#26 of 146 Old 10-05-2008, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

crazymom, I am planning on telling family around Thanksgiving too. Hopefully my belly will stay discreet enough until then. What are you going to school for? Good luck on your paper...I neve enjoyed writing them. I have had some names in mind. Aaron Harper for a boy (not sure about the spelling yet) and possibly Morgan for a girl. I think that the name is getting very popular though. How about you?
#27 of 146 Old 10-05-2008, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
Veggie here too! I have a question: do you think we need to watch our soy intake? I am lactose sensitive and don't really do eggs or dairy unless they are in something... like cake : but I am concerned about all the soy hype. Especially with DD, who is lactose intolerant. We had to supplement when I was nursing and she gets lactose-free, milk based formula. I want to give her soy yogurt but not if it is going to be an issue.

I got waaaay off track there! I am an eating machine lately. I can't stand regular water, oddly- I am drinking part seltzer, part juice, and part regular water. It is the only way I can get water in! and I am JONESING for kale. Oh, and the weird dreams are starting- last night I dreamt that I was in London with Gordon Ramsay and he told me he knows I want him and although I am a beautiful lady, he has his eye on someone else. HOW DARE HE! haha!

OK, enough of my rambling. Being pregnant is really motivating me to do some stuff around the house!

ETA: with my first pregnancy, I was never very big, and I think the pregnancy was unusual in every way. With my second, I was bigger but never huge- both times I started to show around 5 months, but I swear my boobs are bigger already, and I suspect I will be showing by 3 months. I already look like I have a spare tire, which could be due to how much I have been eating...how early did you all show with past pregnancies?
I have heard that soy during pregnancy should be avoided. I never did the research myself, but I heard that the studies do show male organ development can be effected by soy intake. Anecdotally, it seems that a lot of women cannot stomach soy during pregnancy, so perhaps your body naturally knows to wean it out.

I give my ds soy yogurt and soy beans.

I had a hard time with plain water with ds. It had to be ice cold and filled with lemons.

I have been having some really weird dreams too. They are not even my typical weird dreams. In the last three nights I have had a violent dream with someone close to us that is deceased. It is so strange.

With ds I started wearing maternity clothes early, but probably did not need to for a few more months. I think I was showing around 4 months, but my perception and the rest of the worlds might have been different. I really wanted to show as quickly as possible. I only gained 25lbs, exactly, all together with him. My second pregnancy did not last long, but I needed to be in maternity clothes by 6 weeks. I could not button my pants. I am not sure how this one will go.
#28 of 146 Old 10-05-2008, 10:59 AM

This is a nice thread--I'm enjoying just reading through and seeing what everyone's lives are like

Quote:
Would you please share that recipe? I'm very main-stream when it comes to food (borrriiinngg) and my dh does almost all the cooking. This sounds yummy and healthy!

[QUOTE=Critty;12319024]Hey mamas!

I really enjoyed reading this thread, and the whole due date club idea! As you know, we have a surrgoate, so I feel very removed from the pregnancy (6 weeks on Monday), but this is really helping me "feel" pregnant. Yay for your guys!! Of course our surro M and I talk & text at least once a day so I am really very lucky.

M is very, very naeseous and can't handle the smell of anything. Even the smell of her 2 year old DD is grossing her out. I hope this passes quickly for her. I bought her a big bag of almonds and pistachios so she can always have a little snack, whenever she feels the urge to eat. All she has been wanting to eat is bread and cheese. She is really, really tired as well.

We had our second beta test on Thursday and according to the beta calculator, we have higher hcg levels than an average single baby, and lower than average multiple babies, so not sure if we have 1 or 2 little babies in there. I assume the higher hcg levels is what is giving M the intense symptoms. QUOTE]

I can't wait to hear if there is one or two in there! Is there a higher chance of multiples with a surrogate?
I have some hard ginger candy on hand for when the ms kicks in--that's something you could get for her, as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post

I remember that once ms and food aversions kicked in with my other pgcy's, I couldn't stand drinking cold water--it was too much of a shock on my tummy or something. I started drinking hot water instead and it was much more appetizing and soothing. Maybe something to try?
I have that spare tire, too--I'm hoping it's just bloating--it seems to be worse later in the day. I swear I had some flabbiness there before I got pg, but it's definitely more now. I caught my mil looking at me funny a few times this weekend. I think she just thinks I'm getting fat. We're not sharing the news with anyone for a while yet.

So I'm 5 weeks today! My little baby calender says baby's heart starts beating today. It's the first working organ. That's cool, and I'm visualizing that happening

I made my first prenatal appt with the ob and the first available appt is when I'll be over 11 weeks. I have a message in to the ob because with my history, and being on progesterone, I at least want an u/s around 6-7 weeks to look for a heartbeat. I'm worried that the progesterone will mask a non-viable pregnancy and I just can't wait until 12 weeks to find that out, you know? I'm kind of down on this practice--my other pregnancies were all in another state and I've been with 3 different ob practices and one midwife practice. All except the midwives had u/s machines in their office (my current one doesn't) and I've never had to wait longer than 8 weeks to get an u/s. With my last pregnancy, I started them before 6 weeks and got them very frequently. I really miss that practice and that dr.

My symptoms so far are bloating, loose stools, constantly having to pee, a heavy, stretching feeling in my uterus that gets more noticeable the more I'm on my feet, sore breasts (can't tell if they're bigger--I'm nursing anyway), really tired this weekend, and just the slightest bit of nausea when I first get up in the morning.

I bought a "Bella Band" because I'm more comfortable with my pants unbuttoned and this is supposed to be good for that. Has anyone else used them? They're pricey--I wish I could have gotten more than one, it was hard to choose a color.

So that's it for me! I'm able to forget I'm pg for long periods of time. That never happened with any of my other pregnancies, even the ones when I had two kids to look after so I'm happy about that. But like someone else said, it will be harder if ms arrives in full force.

Have a great day!
Deb

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#29 of 146 Old 10-05-2008, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post
So I'm 5 weeks today! My little baby calender says baby's heart starts beating today. It's the first working organ. That's cool, and I'm visualizing that happening
Yay for 5 weeks!

Quote:
I made my first prenatal appt with the ob and the first available appt is when I'll be over 11 weeks. I have a message in to the ob because with my history, and being on progesterone, I at least want an u/s around 6-7 weeks to look for a heartbeat. I'm worried that the progesterone will mask a non-viable pregnancy and I just can't wait until 12 weeks to find that out, you know? I'm kind of down on this practice--my other pregnancies were all in another state and I've been with 3 different ob practices and one midwife practice. All except the midwives had u/s machines in their office (my current one doesn't) and I've never had to wait longer than 8 weeks to get an u/s. With my last pregnancy, I started them before 6 weeks and got them very frequently. I really miss that practice and that dr.
I understand your annoyance, but there are risks associated with early ultrasounds (here is just one article http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/ultrasound.asp, but a google search will bring up many others). It is actually very progressive that your new office does not offer routine early ultrasounds. I am sure for your peace of mind they will be able to send you to another office to get one. I know that I do not plan on having an ultrasound until 20 weeks, but if I need the assurances I will not hesitate to get one.

Quote:
I bought a "Bella Band" because I'm more comfortable with my pants unbuttoned and this is supposed to be good for that. Has anyone else used them? They're pricey--I wish I could have gotten more than one, it was hard to choose a color.
I bought a bella band with my last pregnancy. It seems everyone loves it, but I sold mine. I hated it. First, you could still see your pants were unbuttoned through it. That is not a big deal if you are wearing a huge sweater to cover everything, but I could not wear my usual shirts because it would show through the shirt and band (or if my shirt lifted a little when I moved around). The sizes ran big. I got a small, and it was big. This could have been why it did not keep my pants secure and showed through my clothes. Lastly, I did not find it all that comfortable to wear my pants unbuttoned when I was out. I found that the open zipper would cut into my belly when I was sitting down. It just did not work for me, but like I said other people love them. I sold mine (I bought two) to someone on my last ddc, and she loved it.
#30 of 146 Old 10-05-2008, 12:13 PM

I got the sweet potato enchilada recipe out of my friend's veggie cookbook so I'm going off of memory, but here is the recipe:

preheat oven to 375

chop 1 medium onion and saute for about 5 or so minutes

dice 2-3 medium/large sweet potoatoes and add to onions - cover and cook for 15 minutes or until just starting to get a little soft (not as good if over cooked)

add a can of rinsed black beans and a bunch of chopped fresh spinach, cook until spinach is a little wilted

add a bunch of fresh pressed or finely chopped garlic

add salt and pepper to taste

pour half a can/bottle of enchillada sauce into the bottom of an 8.5X11 glass dish

spoon a line of sour cream on each tortilla and then add potato filling, top with shredded cheddar cheese

fold enchillada and place seam down in the glass dish until full (6 fit nicely)

pour remaining sauce over top and top with even more shredded cheddar cheese

bake 15 minutes or until cheese is nice and bubbly - delicious!!

I have made this for a vegan friend without the sour cream and cheese and I made some quacamole to go with it. She said it was good. Also the book did include a recipe for the enchilada sauce but I take the lazy way and use the bottled from Trader Joes and I know that Old El Paso's is vegan.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page