how to tell dh - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just got the positive this morning. He suspects, but is not 100% sure, tell me how can I surprise him.

By the way, I might just see him for 5 mins this afternoon, and then not until later this evening.
#2 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 11:27 AM

Cuau~ I am right there with you... I just found out and it's killing me to keep this secret!!! I hope we get lots of good ideas!!
#3 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 12:04 PM

You can get a gift (like a picture frame, shirt) that has the word daddy on it. I like to bake, so I like to make a yummy goodie and write something on it like you are a daddy. With ds I did something really simple, and I told dh I had a surprise for him. (We often by little gifts for one another, so he was not suspicious.) I wrapped up the pregnancy test, and gave it to him. He was so surprised. I just showed him the test in my second pregnancy. This time I took the test before he woke up, so I pulled him out of bed. We tip-toed into the bathroom trying not to wake up our house guests. We had been trying for a year, and I could not keep it from him for a second.

Hopefully you will get better ideas from other people.
#4 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 12:09 PM

do you have another test? for this pg., i took the test with dh right there. last pg. i had taken the test and he found me, pacing around the house crying and saying "oh god, oh god, oh god", when he got home from work. i saw him, showed him the test, kept crying and got snot all over his shirt. i think that dh is glad i didn't get snot on him this time
#5 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 12:18 PM

This time, it was nothing exciting...he got me a test on the way home from work so we got the results together.

But last time I wanted to do something fun. Before he came home from work, I put one of ds's toy wooden hamburger buns inside the oven. I was going to tell him that something was wrong with the oven and to check it out. Then he'd see the "bun in the oven" and make the connection. Well I was asleep when he came home and he decided to bake something, lol. So he preheated the oven and the wood on the toy bun burned some and stunk up the whole house. He woke me up and asked me why there was a toy in the oven. The conversation was totally hillarious. I could not get him to say "bun in the oven". I kept asking him what kind of toy it was and he was like "bread" and then I asked what kind of bread and he was like "hamburger". I'm cracking up the whole time but finally he says bun and I'm like "where was the bun?" and he says "in the oven" and I'm like, "there's a bun in the oven??" Then he made the connection and we both went nuts with excitement.
#6 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erin_brycesmom View Post
This time, it was nothing exciting...he got me a test on the way home from work so we got the results together.

But last time I wanted to do something fun. Before he came home from work, I put one of ds's toy wooden hamburger buns inside the oven. I was going to tell him that something was wrong with the oven and to check it out. Then he'd see the "bun in the oven" and make the connection. Well I was asleep when he came home and he decided to bake something, lol. So he preheated the oven and the wood on the toy bun burned some and stunk up the whole house. He woke me up and asked me why there was a toy in the oven. The conversation was totally hillarious. I could not get him to say "bun in the oven". I kept asking him what kind of toy it was and he was like "bread" and then I asked what kind of bread and he was like "hamburger". I'm cracking up the whole time but finally he says bun and I'm like "where was the bun?" and he says "in the oven" and I'm like, "there's a bun in the oven??" Then he made the connection and we both went nuts with excitement.
That is hysterical...I am glad that the situation was not worse, but I am sure the chemicals burning did not smell to great through the house.
#7 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

I think I know what I'm going to do. He biked this morning to work, and I'll pick him up. So he'll put his bike in the trunk.

I'll get a balloon, that says congrats on the new baby or something like that and put it inside the trunk (tied up of course) that way when he opens the trunk he'll see the balloon!

hopefully he won't call me otherwise, it will be hard to keep the secret.
#8 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuau View Post
I think I know what I'm going to do. He biked this morning to work, and I'll pick him up. So he'll put his bike in the trunk.

I'll get a balloon, that says congrats on the new baby or something like that and put it inside the trunk (tied up of course) that way when he opens the trunk he'll see the balloon!

hopefully he won't call me otherwise, it will be hard to keep the secret.
Sounds like a good plan. Let us know his reaction.
#9 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

He was thrilled! He opened the trunk, and saw this ballon! I had a card and the test laying in there. He just put the bike in the trunk and came running all excited!!

How about you fantesia? Did you told dp already?
#10 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 11:03 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What a cute and creative idea, mama! I wish I was more creative than "Hey, look at the stick! I'm pregnant!".

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#11 of 11 Old 10-07-2008, 08:23 AM

That's really cute. For me, there was no option of a cute way to surprise DH. We've been trying for 2 years and have had several miscarriages. He stayed home from work today, and in the afternoon I decided to test. 30 seconds in the dark line popped up, and I ran screaming to him.

At least it was dramatic?

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page