a little disaster.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so, i just told everyone in my company that i am expecting on friday.

this morning, my boss called a meeting and fired me.

i have no idea what to do at this point, i'm kind of lost. i made over 60% of my family's income, and i worked at a high-profile firm out of new york, as thier representitive in my city. i am a in a mild state of shock.

of course, my boss cited other reasons for firing me, but they pretty much seemed like made-up reasons, and the pink elephant in the room was that i was pregnant after working there for less than a year and the company really didn't feel like paying maternity leave, etc, in these hard ecomonic times.

i am a little lost now. there's a chance we could lose our house without my income. i'm not sure where i go from here. what do you do when you find out that you can't support your family anymore? especially when it's growing? i'm at a loss.

sorry to be such a downer. i didn't know who else to tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 02:16 PM

Oh my! I cannot even imagine what you are giong through. Call a lawyer right away...most states offer free legal aid. This is complete discrimination especially if all the other stuff is made up. Anyone would notice that your job performance was not an issue on Friday and that right after you tell them you are pregnant you get fired. I cannot even believe this would happen.

I do not know what you do for a living, but is there any chance you can find another job in your field similar to that income? Can you downsize, cut out luxuriees in anyway to spread out your savings as far as possible? If you are in the states I know certain states provide employment benefits.

I am so sorry. I do not know what I would do. I guess I would just try to find a job in the meantime and keep looking for a better, more lucrative position. Good luck and keep us updated.
#3 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 02:35 PM

I think they cannot fire you for being pregnant. They could say it was for something else but with nothing to support it, I do believe it is discrimination.

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#4 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 02:45 PM

Mama, I'm so sorry. I agree with PP, get a lawyer, they should not do this to you. It is discrimination.

I'm sure you'll get this sorted out
#5 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 03:01 PM

I would definitely get a lawyer!! When I was pregnant with my first they found a reason to fire me right after I told them I was pregnant, but since I hated my job and was planning on quitting anyway I never pursued doing anything about it. I hope you are able to resolve it and that things improve for your family!!!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#6 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 04:27 PM

Hi, I'm not in your due date club but happened to be passing through.

I'm sorry this happened to you, 2in09.

First, to make sure you know you're not alone: Pregnant workers face growing discrimination, a 2005 article in USA Today

Your employer's action was absolutely illegal. You can file a claim with the equal employment opportunity commission, which provides free legal assistance. If you work at a small company (with less than 15 employees), the Civil Rights Act might not apply, but I would encourage you to take action immediately, even before you get over the shock. You can always withdraw your claim later if you change your mind.

I know you must feel pretty shaken up. I wish you the best.

Mama to a bilingual (Arabic/English) and cuddly 3 year old, and planning another peaceful homebirth in June.

#7 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 04:33 PM

2in09 - That just completely sucks. I would talk to a lawyer, too, because that is awfully suspicious. If you haven't already, go sign up for unemployment. There is usually a waiting period, so sign up ASAP and that will at least help to supplement your income a little. Go into emergency stop spending mode at home to preserve as much money as you can just in case. We'll be pulling for you!
#8 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 05:52 PM

My heart goes out to you and your husband. I echo everyone else's advice to seek legal counsel about this. You're definitely being discriminated against.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#9 of 11 Old 10-06-2008, 05:57 PM

Our unemployment offices help sometimes with these types of issues. Contact them immediately, file for unemployment, get a worker, explain the situation and see if they can help.

I'm so sorry, that is terrible!

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#10 of 11 Old 10-07-2008, 12:09 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Oh my gosh, that is just horrifying, mama. I can't believe it. I don't know the laws in the US, but here in Canada that would just not fly. But on the same hand, it must be hard to think of working for a company that was forced to keep you! Oh, I really hope some justice is made and your family gets what it needs to get through this!

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#11 of 11 Old 10-07-2008, 02:05 AM

I too and so sorry and agree that you should contact a lawyer asap. I am also in Canada, but I am pretty sure that is considered discrimination in the US as well. wishing a smooth pregnancy and positive resolution of this really crappy thing they did to you.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page