Dreaded morning sickness anyone??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 10-06-2008, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just joining! Congrats to all!

I am 6 weeks and m/s has already kicked in. The all day long nausea. Does anyone have any natural remedy? I'm deseperate. I have 3 other children and it's going to be so hard to get through my days if the next few months are like this! I know I sound like such a downer, I'm so blessed and lucky and overjoyed to be pregnant, I just can't deal with the 24/7 nausea. Anyone have any advice or going through it as well? Thanks mamas!
#2 of 32 Old 10-06-2008, 06:08 PM

Congrats and welcome!

Lemon is supposed to help. Ginger, enough to smell on your body. There are herbs that are supposed to help, but I would not take without the advice of an nd or herbalist. Eating protein in a grazing style, small snacks vs large meals, (enough to have something in your belly, but not enough to make you full is also supposed to help. Good luck!
#3 of 32 Old 10-06-2008, 06:47 PM

I have heard that anything sour helps. I have had a few waves of nausea, but it has not lasted all day/every day. Bummer. I am only 5w2d, though, so I may catch you up in a few.
#4 of 32 Old 10-06-2008, 06:58 PM

I learned a lot about honey this summer, and raw honey is packed with minerals and vitamins and has the best blood sugar stabilizer you can get in such a small package, and it's a recommended cure for morning sickness. Take a big spoonful before going to bed and it's supposed to help you not feel like death when you wake up.

There was a specific recipe for all-day nausea that I've been using when my stomach gets gnarly on me for the last couple weeks...

1/2 to 1t apple cider vinegar (I use the lesser)
1 spoonful of honey

mix into a tall glass of water. It tastes kind of like a lemonadey weak apple juice. It's pretty bland, but drinkable, and the vinegar helps settle my stomach and the honey supposedly does good things for the blood sugar. All I know is that I drink a glass of this stuff when I'm starting to feel nauseous and a few minutes after it's down I feel more stable. ANd I can eat crackers and start moving up the food chain from there.

Eating apples helped me a lot in my last pregnancy when I was nauseous.
Hth
#5 of 32 Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 PM

I'm so sorry mama!! I'm only 4 weeks and 2 days and nothing yet but I am seriously scared. I get it super bad and I've never found anything close to a cure and I think I"ve tried everything. In preperation for this pregnancy, I did a liver detox with my naturopath and I'm hoping that this will prevent me from getting MS this time or at least reduce it greatly.
#6 of 32 Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM

I don't have ms yet this time, but last time I survived by slicing oranges and then sniffing them and eating them. Seriously, cut one in half then slice it (so the little sections are in bite size pieces. I left one by my bed every night so I could sniff it as needed then eat it before getting out of bed in the morning. Then snack on them throughout the day as needed.
#7 of 32 Old 10-06-2008, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ginger is what worked for me last time. I would just constantly be chewing on pieces of fresh ginger, candied ginger, guzzling ginger tea, etc. Lavender or peppermint essential oil dropped onto a handkerchief so you can sniff it any time you have a wave of nausea really helps too. Morning sickness sucks.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#8 of 32 Old 10-06-2008, 11:06 PM

I've also heard sea-bands work for some people. I'm sorry, Mama. It's still early for me (4w3d), but I'm already getting waves of nausea. I expect to be right there with you in a week or two.

Mama to my beautiful Ana Carolina (2/07), Isabel Cristina (6/10), and #3 on the way in August 2013!

#9 of 32 Old 10-06-2008, 11:29 PM

I started getting on and off nausea at 9 dpo This kiddo must have implanted and gotten busy! Grazing helps, protein and fresh fruits and veggies sound the best at this point. And diary. I had some strawberries in cottage cheese earlier and it made the nausea go away. I can't complain too much, it'll go away in a few weeks

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#10 of 32 Old 10-07-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions mamas. I'm going to start with the honey one first, sounds the most acceptable to my stomach at this point! It's just awful, i don't get waves of nausea I have it all day and night long. It wakes me up in the middle of the night and then keeps me awake. How am I going to get through this??? I cringe when I think of having to prepare food for my 3 other children or even change a diaper. How do some women escape this dreadfullness all together?? What does my body not like about being pregnant???? I need help!
#11 of 32 Old 10-07-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsTC View Post
I learned a lot about honey this summer, and raw honey is packed with minerals and vitamins and has the best blood sugar stabilizer you can get in such a small package, and it's a recommended cure for morning sickness. Take a big spoonful before going to bed and it's supposed to help you not feel like death when you wake up.

There was a specific recipe for all-day nausea that I've been using when my stomach gets gnarly on me for the last couple weeks...

1/2 to 1t apple cider vinegar (I use the lesser)
1 spoonful of honey

mix into a tall glass of water. It tastes kind of like a lemonadey weak apple juice. It's pretty bland, but drinkable, and the vinegar helps settle my stomach and the honey supposedly does good things for the blood sugar. All I know is that I drink a glass of this stuff when I'm starting to feel nauseous and a few minutes after it's down I feel more stable. ANd I can eat crackers and start moving up the food chain from there.

Eating apples helped me a lot in my last pregnancy when I was nauseous.
Hth
I'm going to try both the honey and the honey/vinegar recipe--both sound ok to me right now, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantads View Post
Thanks for the suggestions mamas. I'm going to start with the honey one first, sounds the most acceptable to my stomach at this point! It's just awful, i don't get waves of nausea I have it all day and night long. It wakes me up in the middle of the night and then keeps me awake. How am I going to get through this??? I cringe when I think of having to prepare food for my 3 other children or even change a diaper. How do some women escape this dreadfullness all together?? What does my body not like about being pregnant???? I need help!
I'm sorry I have 3 other kiddos, too, and am a little worried. I'm hoping they'll distract me, but I have the all-day issue, too and am being kept up at night by this icky feeling in my stomach. I don't think my body likes hcg at all. It lasts the whole pregnancy for me, too--but maybe this time will be different.
I've been sucking Gin-Gins--ginger hard candy made by The Ginger People. Got it at the health food store. If I suck on them constantly, one after the other, it actually helps.

I get tons of saliva, too, that I have to spit out or else it makes me sicker. Does anyone else get that? It's way yucky.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#12 of 32 Old 10-07-2008, 05:32 PM

I've been having some nausea too and I went to my acupuncturist yesterday. She did a little work and gave me some suggestions. She said if you have a massager, you can use it to massage your stomach and gall bladder channels. The stomach channel is a thumb width to the outside of the bone in your calf on the front of your leg. It starts a hand width down from your knee. I hope that makes any sense! the other channel is basically just down the outside of your calf. Anyhow, I've been trying it and it seems to help. I'm also wearing those bracelets that apply pressure to your wrists. And I was reading in one of my books that a vitamin B6 supplement can help so I started that this morning. My book also recommended that some women find carbonated drinks easier to drink during early pregnancy. I'm trying all of it hoping at least some of it will help! I will also try the honey and vinegar drink...sounds good. I have used that minus the honey for reflux before with success. I hope we all start to feel better soon!

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

#13 of 32 Old 10-07-2008, 09:13 PM

I thought of another thing that helped me last time, but am a little embarrassed to say it...beer. Non-alcoholic works fine, although I discovered that it helped because we were eating out and I craved my dh's regular beer and so had a sip and it really helped! So we got some NA beer and my dh would put a little in a juice glass for me to sip. That's fine, right?? It worked so much better that cola or ginger ale.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#14 of 32 Old 10-07-2008, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonuptosondown View Post
I thought of another thing that helped me last time, but am a little embarrassed to say it...beer. Non-alcoholic works fine, although I discovered that it helped because we were eating out and I craved my dh's regular beer and so had a sip and it really helped! So we got some NA beer and my dh would put a little in a juice glass for me to sip. That's fine, right?? It worked so much better that cola or ginger ale.
Just FYI, NA beer _does_ have alcohol. Not a lot, but some. Personally, I wouldn't do it because I am an all-or-nothing kinda gal. But I know many women who have chosen to drink small amounts of alcohol during pregnancy and I don't think there is necessarily anything wrong with that. I don't think there is any evidence that small amounts of alcohol can cause any harm. But I could be wrong.
#15 of 32 Old 10-07-2008, 09:44 PM

Yes, it does have alcohol in it, but very, very little. And I'm talking about a juice glass, not drinking a whole bottle. Not trying to advocate drinking while pg, but in month 6 of pg and still with ms, those were desperate times.

#16 of 32 Old 10-07-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, it does have alcohol in it, but very, very little. And I'm talking about a juice glass, not drinking a whole bottle. Not trying to advocate drinking while pg, but in month 6 of pg and still with ms, those were desperate times.
Youch. I feel for you. And I am totally not criticizing, just pointing it out in case you didn't know.
#17 of 32 Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Just curious - does ginger beer work for you? I know, totally not beer or ginger ale but the others made me curious...
#18 of 32 Old 10-08-2008, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Someone mentioned going to an acupuncturiest . . . does that help? Anyone with experience here? I have an appt on friday. I'm so close to wanting zofran, I've never taken anything with my other 3 pregnancies and I don't know I could this time, but I'm desperate already . . .
#19 of 32 Old 10-08-2008, 01:30 PM

Mine is starting. Nothing natural has ever worked for me, so I'm going with meds again. I have some leftover Zofran from last time and I'm going to request more at my first appt. I wish I could find something natural that helps!

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#20 of 32 Old 10-08-2008, 02:32 PM

Nothing yet (im only 9dpo), but i never had any with DD....so heres hoping!
#21 of 32 Old 10-08-2008, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no5no5 View Post
Youch. I feel for you. And I am totally not criticizing, just pointing it out in case you didn't know.
I understand, I did know. I hesitated putting it in the thread, but I figured it might help somebody.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatherh View Post
Just curious - does ginger beer work for you? I know, totally not beer or ginger ale but the others made me curious...
I never tried that, though dh suggested it. Is that alcoholic?

Quote:
Someone mentioned going to an acupuncturiest . . . does that help? Anyone with experience here? I have an appt on friday. I'm so close to wanting zofran, I've never taken anything with my other 3 pregnancies and I don't know I could this time, but I'm desperate already . . .
What are the risks with Zofran? I was prescribed it once with my last pgcy when I got the flu around 4 months pg and that along with morning sickness was getting pretty seriously dangerous. It worked like magic. I do have some left over...

#22 of 32 Old 10-08-2008, 05:25 PM

Ginger beer isn't alcoholic, it's just "brewed" so maybe prepared like a beer?
#23 of 32 Old 10-09-2008, 12:31 AM

Quote:
The acupuncture seemed to help me. I still feel nauseous some of the time, but it is less severe. I hope you find something that helps!

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

#24 of 32 Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 AM

Oh man, I think it hit me today for the first time. I woke up at 6:30 a.m. super nauseated and have been fighting a weird slightly hungry yet pretty barfy feeling ever since.

Then again maybe I was just nervous because today was my first u/s. Everything went well, heart beating and everything! (Today I am 6w0d)
#25 of 32 Old 10-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Yeah Alison! Glad to hear you heard that little heatbeat!! :

Okay... I am already getting heartburn sickly hungry feelings and I am only 4 1/2 weeks. I am a little worried as I was extremely sick with my last baby... I remember that kicked in around 6 weeks with him.

My doctor has already told me that he would give me Zofran if I need it... I hope it works as good as some claim!!
#26 of 32 Old 10-09-2008, 11:22 AM

Yesterday morning and this morning, I had some strong waves of nausea. No actual barfing yet, and it stops when I get something in my stomach. I was 6 weeks yesterday.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#27 of 32 Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 AM

I just feel woozy all day--no actual throwing up. The only thing that seems to help is eating, but nothing sounds appetizing. I can't handle eating anything except cheese, yogurt, and meat. Not exactly a balanced diet. Anything sweet at all (fruit) makes be want to ....you know. So I have been eating tiny cheese wheels, yogurt (cow and goat milk to mix it up) and meat, pretty much all day. I am afraid that I may have already gained 5 pounds!
#28 of 32 Old 10-09-2008, 11:51 AM

I've just had a tiny bit of Nausea last night and this morning for the first time. It's still so mild that I'm not sure if I'm imagining it or not. Despite the fact that I'll probably regret this eventually, I actually find it reassuring. I'm paying attention to this thread for possible remedies, just incase it gets bad. So far the Honey or Honey and Apple Cider Vinegar appeal to me the most.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#29 of 32 Old 10-09-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivkah View Post
I just feel woozy all day--no actual throwing up. The only thing that seems to help is eating, but nothing sounds appetizing. I can't handle eating anything except cheese, yogurt, and meat. Not exactly a balanced diet. Anything sweet at all (fruit) makes be want to ....you know. So I have been eating tiny cheese wheels, yogurt (cow and goat milk to mix it up) and meat, pretty much all day. I am afraid that I may have already gained 5 pounds!
Sounds like you're craving the protein! I'd go with it.

Unfortunately, I seem to desiring starches as usual... I bet my english muffins and (loaded) baked potatoes will gain me more weight than your protein.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#30 of 32 Old 10-09-2008, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter

someone else had asked a bit earlier and I was also curious about the side effects / safety of zofran . . .

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page