Thinking way ahead - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-09-2008, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I mentioned in another thread that I work at a library. Specifically, I'm a shelver, and as my job entails a lot of bending down, crouching down, getting up and doing it all over again dozens of times a day in rather quick succession, how long do you think I'll be able to work? At what point in pregnancy is it difficult to bend down and get back up?

I know that it'll vary by person, but I'm looking mostly for a ballpark. I doubt I'll work up till my due date, but is 34 weeks too much to hope for?

If it helps, I'm short and pudgy, so I'm betting I'll stick out a bunch.

The other thing is, because it's a happy thing, DH and I have been discussing names. We both like the name Alexander (Alex) but have a really good friend who's daughter is Alexandria (Ali). What do you think about naming your kid something very similar to a kid they'll no doubt be close to (family, close friend, next door neighbors)?

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#2 of 6 Old 10-09-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post
I mentioned in another thread that I work at a library. Specifically, I'm a shelver, and as my job entails a lot of bending down, crouching down, getting up and doing it all over again dozens of times a day in rather quick succession, how long do you think I'll be able to work? At what point in pregnancy is it difficult to bend down and get back up?

I know that it'll vary by person, but I'm looking mostly for a ballpark. I doubt I'll work up till my due date, but is 34 weeks too much to hope for?

If it helps, I'm short and pudgy, so I'm betting I'll stick out a bunch.

The other thing is, because it's a happy thing, DH and I have been discussing names. We both like the name Alexander (Alex) but have a really good friend who's daughter is Alexandria (Ali). What do you think about naming your kid something very similar to a kid they'll no doubt be close to (family, close friend, next door neighbors)?
You should be able to do your job up until the end. I was moving, remodeling, and unpacking (much like putting books in the stacks ) up until the night before ds was born. You might move slower, but unless there is a problem you should be fine.

I think that since your kids will go by different nicknames then it would probably not be confusing at all. I try not to name a child a name that someone we know already has, but I have not liked a name someone else has. The only name I sort of liked was dh's best man's name, and I would not want anyone to think that we named a child after him. The more I think about it the more I think you should name your baby whatever you want...do not worry about anyone else. Kids would probably think it was cute to have similar names.
#3 of 6 Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 PM

i worked as a veterinary nurse until 36 weeks. i wrestled dogs to the ground and lifted them up, carried them to recovery, and did so much bending and folding over and walking. towards the end, like maybe the last 5 weeks or so, it got harder. a lot harder. i needed help up off the floor everytime i was down there. thank goodness the ladies i worked with were nice enough to help me up. i did use a maternity support belt too, and it helped ease the strain on my belly and make it so it didn't feel so "heavy" at the end of the day.
#4 of 6 Old 10-09-2008, 08:31 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I think since your body is used to doing it, it will probably be fine for quite a while. Now if you suddenly got this job at 8 months pregnant having never bent over like that in your life, you might have problems.

And the names sound different enough that you should be fine, even if they spend a lot of time together.

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#5 of 6 Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 AM

If your job becomes difficult for you later on, is there any way the library could move you to desk work for the end of your pregnancy? I know lots of women have no problems at all with moving/lifting/bending/etc, but I'm not sure I would count on it for sure.

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#6 of 6 Old 10-10-2008, 12:51 PM

You may not want to take off before your dd simply because then you will be left at home, waiting around, quite likely feeling miserable, and driving yourself crazy (this is what I did with #3).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page