Who's Still Nursing?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am still nursing my almost 6 month old, he doesn't eat much real food yet and I don't know how much longer I can keep this up!! Who else is still nursing? How old is your nursling? Do you plan on tandem nursing?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#2 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 PM

i'm still nursing. dd will be 18 months on the 24th. i plan to nurse through pregnancy and on tandem nursing as well. right now nursing will make my skin crawl a little for the first few seconds, as my nipples are sooo sensitive. also, dd is nursing again like she's 3 months old, b/c i think my milk supply is dropping. apparently the uppage in nursing isn't going to up my milk supply during pg., but dd doesn't know that. i just hope she figures it out soon. i do not offer and do not refuse, but sometimes it takes all my control to keep from telling her 'no'. she keeps switching sides every 2 minutes and will go play for ten minutes, then come back and nurse for 20. it's a bit maddening right now, but i know it's just a phase.
#3 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 03:45 PM

I am not nursing now (my oldest is almost 9). But when I got pg with #2, #1 was only 14 months. I continued to nurse for about 6 months. She weened herself when the milk either went away or changed. I actually found it relaxing at first, because I could lay in bed and read a book and nurse when I was exhausted and have morning sickness all day.

I think that if it is draining you, maybe you could start being slightly more aggressive in introducing solids.
#4 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

I am trying to get him to eat real food.. it seems to insult him though. I am SO done nursing but he won't take a bottle so there seems to be nothing I can about it. People keep saying he will wean himself but they seem to forget that he isn't even 6 months yet so weaning would NOT be good right now!! I am working on him taking a bottle.. or solids... or SOMETHING!! Any tips?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#5 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 04:05 PM

DD is 20 months and still nursing. We night weaned (mostly) at 18 months - enabling my cycle to straighten itself out. I'd love to tandem nurse but at the moment I think tandem nursing would be too demanding on me. So the current plan is to start distracting her more often and we'll discuss again on her 2nd birthday (Feb) about stepping up weaning efforts.

Right now I'm experiencing some cramping when nursing....

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#6 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicholsonmartin View Post
DD is 20 months and still nursing. We night weaned (mostly) at 18 months - enabling my cycle to straighten itself out. I'd love to tandem nurse but at the moment I think tandem nursing would be too demanding on me. So the current plan is to start distracting her more often and we'll discuss again on her 2nd birthday (Feb) about stepping up weaning efforts.

Right now I'm experiencing some cramping when nursing....
I have been having a little cramping when nursing... usually on days I haven't been drinking enough water!! I am trying to drink/eat enough but it is very hard!! I wish Trevor would night wean... he still nurses every 1-3 hours round the clock *headdesk*

#7 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 04:07 PM

I am all for child-led weaning, but I fully realize that we may need to initiate night weaning during pregnancy if I don't get enough rest. I am not a nice mama when I am tired!

I am still nursing 29 month-old DD, who nurses every three hours or so. I have to eat A LOT (3,000 to 4,000 calories per day) suddenly, but I love being able to rest every time she nurses. Of course, the nipple twiddling may have to go soon! Either she has suddenly started climbing all over me, or else it has only recently started bothering me. I am having trouble being a nice Mama all the time.

ETA: Yes, I plan/hope to tandem nurse. DD is SO excited about the baby and has big plans to share all of her toys and hold hands with baby while getting "milkies". Hopefully she will be as thrilled when baby actually arrives.
#8 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 04:18 PM

I am nursing my 26 month old little boy. We nurse early morning around 5, down for nap and bed. Sometimes he asks a time or two other than those. This is really manageable for us and I don't plan on trying to wean him before the baby is born. If he weans, that would be fine but I wouldn't mind tandem nursing.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#9 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 04:19 PM

I am still nursing my 24 month old and my plan for now is to keep going and play it by ear. She is definitely wanting there to be more milk than there is, so I am trying to give her more attention and offer food more frequently to try to get the number of nursings down.

My daughter never took a regular bottle, but around 6 months she learned to drink from a straw and how to drink from one of those camelback bottles that has a straw where you bite the top to open it. I don't think she ever actually bit the top, I think her suck is so strong from nursing that it just opens up for her.

Some moms find that reducing the frequency of nursing makes nursing more acceptable to them. If you could get your son to take milk another way a few times a day, would you still be comfortable nursing a few times a day? Breastmilk is of course great for babies, but having a happy mom is really important too, and you have given him a great gift by nursing for so long, especially if you don't enjoy it. I hope you can find a way to make this situation more comfortable for you!

Jessica, Wife to Owen (6/7/03), mom to Amina (9/20/06) : and Colm (5/30/09) :

#10 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 04:33 PM

I know this is hard, and nursing gives some people the willies while they are pregnant. Right now my breasts are so tender, I can't imagine it! Almost everyone experiences a drop in milk supply during pregnancy, though. I am sure that less milk will inspire more solids.

My son would never take a bottle. Luckily, I rarely had to give him one, but if occasionally he stayed with a sitter for a couple of hours, he just waited. I would try a cup or two, he may like that better.:
#11 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 04:42 PM

My son is 20 months and still nursing. I'm pretty over it, haha. I'm really hoping he decides he's done soon because I don't think I can handle tandem nursing. I feel all panicky just thinking about it.
#12 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 04:49 PM

My dd is 26 months and still nursing. So far I'm not having any problems like super-sore nipples or cramping, but either one would probably prompt me to cut down on frequency. For now, I like the excuse to lie down, though I have to make sure I don't fall asleep when I'm supposed to be just putting her down for a nap and then returning to do something with my boys

I've never been in your situation with one so young, though, that must be a challenge What about Adventures in Tandem Nursing or a LLL meeting? Was that suggested already?

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#13 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

We don't have an LLL around here, but when I am home for the holidays (woot! civilization!!) I may go check out a meeting to see what they have to say. I may try getting some of those sippy cups that have the straw and see what he thinks of that... I am just SO freaking tired!!

#14 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 07:17 PM

ds is nearing 22 months and nurses early morning and down for nap and bed....i dont think he is ready to wean any time soon and i'm not sure i'm ready to wean him

Megan-loving wife to my high school sweet heart 9.24.2005 and AP mama to my big boy biggrinbounce.gif 12.14.2006, homebirth.jpglittle sister 5.27.2009 andhomebirth.jpg baby sister 8.31.11

#15 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 08:05 PM

I'm still nursing. i plan on going to at LEAST 2 years (probably longer if she self weans) so i will be tandeming for at least 10 months.

"The most important work you and I will ever do will be within the walls of our own homes." -Harold B. Lee
#16 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 08:24 PM

My DS is 16 months old, and I'm 7 weeks pregnant with #2. I'm due in early June 09 and the births will be 24 months apart. DS is nursing about 8-10 times/day, and still every 2-3 hours at night. I plan to nurse him as long as he wishes, even if it becomes tandem nursing.

Boy, am I tired! I was this tired during my first pregnancy, but now I have to follow a toddler all over every day. I'm finding myself draped over the couch or on the floor, struggling to keep my eyes open for DS. I don't know how people do this, and the thought of having more than one child to watch is unthinkable. I think this is the early pregnancy fatigue, and not overly exacerbated by nursing.

My heart goes out to you. This is a very difficult situation. I hope you feel better as the second trimester approaches. Two thoughts popped into my head as I read your post:
1) Try a sippy cup.
2) Some babies refuse solids until they are older. My brother didn't eat anything until over 9 months. We found out later that he has a lot of food sensitivities. I think he instinctively knew that. My mom says she is so thankful that she didn't cave in to the doctor who was strongly pressuring her to force him to eat solids by making him hungry.

Gotta go - DS is up from his nap! Good luck!

Beth

: DS - June '07 : DS2 - May '09 : (may be delayed a really long time!)
#17 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I think we may have had a break through... I put him in his exersaucer to eat and he actually ate!! Maybe he just has issues with the high chair? Who knows... if we could get him nursing ever 3-ish hours and sleeping more then an hour or 2 at a time during the night I think I would be ok... I just really need sleep and to NOT have a baby attached to my boob 24/7... I know that makes me sound like a horrible person but I can't help it!

#18 of 73 Old 10-10-2008, 11:00 PM

My dd 22 mo is still nursing, she nurses a lot! Now at night she is waking up, not only looking for the bob, but waking and fussing. I think my milk suppy is going down. I try to give her mroe food closer to bed time to compensate. I don't plan to wean, hopefully I can tandem nurse.
#19 of 73 Old 10-11-2008, 08:23 AM

I'm still nursing my 3 1/2 year old, although not much, once a day. I really don't have too much milk He asked "mama how can you fill up yours boobies again?" I probably will not nurse too much longer. When my second was born I tandem nursed him and his brother for a year, that was challenging. I found my older ones suck had changed and drove me slightly crazy.

Me, my Husband and three little Boys! 7, 5 and 7 1/2 months! Life is good!
#20 of 73 Old 10-11-2008, 06:09 PM

Yes, I'm still nursing my 14 month old. My nipples are hurting, but I'm determined to keep going through the end and tandeming. My son depends on nursing too much, I can't imagine him weaning. I just hope I have enough milk to sustain him through this pregnancy. I did recently get some Reglan for my m/s so I'm hoping that keeps my milk supply up.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#21 of 73 Old 10-11-2008, 06:33 PM

DS is 34 months old and still nurses during the day (especially upon waking and going to sleep).

Quote:
Originally Posted by liss_420 View Post
she keeps switching sides every 2 minutes and will go play for ten minutes, then come back and nurse for 20. it's a bit maddening right now, but i know it's just a phase.
Yes! DS does this! It IS maddening!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubulidentata2 View Post

ETA: Yes, I plan/hope to tandem nurse. DD is SO excited about the baby and has big plans to share all of her toys and hold hands with baby while getting "milkies". Hopefully she will be as thrilled when baby actually arrives.
I tandemed DD and DS for 18 months until DD CLWed at 4.5 years. It was so sweet and so good for their relationship. I mean, yeah, they fight. But it's never like my brother and I were. We hated each other. DD and DS really, really care for each other and I think it's partly their shared time at the breast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthcave View Post
My son is 20 months and still nursing. I'm pretty over it, haha. I'm really hoping he decides he's done soon because I don't think I can handle tandem nursing. I feel all panicky just thinking about it.
The panickyness might be from the pregnant-nursing combination. When your body is in pure milk-making mode, you might not feel so icky about it.
#22 of 73 Old 10-11-2008, 11:09 PM

DS is 2 1/2 and still nursing. Not sure how long we'll go. DD nursed straight through my second pregnancy and we tandem nursed for over a year. It helped that she was night weaned before I was even pregnant again, but I remember parts of it being vary hard -- especially some of the discomfort of nursing in late pregnancy and this frustrating, skin crawling feeling I would sometimes get nursing the older one once the baby was there. Of course, there are a hundred reasons I enjoyed it and was grateful to have that experience.

We're really working to night wean DS, but man is he resistant! I'm not sure how I feel about tandem nursing this time. I hadn't planned for it the first time; I was open to whatever happened. I would like to remain the same for this one, but by the time this babe comes along, I will be going on 7 straight years of being pregnant and/or nursing and never sleeping through the night. It makes me a little tired just to think of it!
#23 of 73 Old 10-11-2008, 11:27 PM

I'm still nursing my DD (she'll be 2 next month). I really hope I can keep my supply up for her. I plan on tandem nursing, but don't know if she will like having to hold still when I'm nursing the baby.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#24 of 73 Old 10-12-2008, 12:28 AM

Yay - there are so many of us here!

My 22 mo old DD is still nursing - she goes to daycare full time so it's mainly in the morning, evening and throughout the night. I have no plans of weaning her but i am starting to wonder about my milk supply. She seems to be nursing non stop and for longer than before which makes me think there is less milk - poor girl!

Not sure if we'll make it to tandem nursing but I'm all for it if we make it that far! Love that there are so many of us here that are preggo and still nursing - I don't know anybody in real life who has nursed this long.
#25 of 73 Old 10-12-2008, 12:33 AM

Still not sure if I belong here or in May, so I'm jumping between the two.
I'm still nursing too. DS2 is 16 mo and still a nursing champ.
Hoping to tandem as well, but we'll see how ds2 feels about that. He's going through a jealous phase.

Wife of Michael , SAHM to Aristotle 09/99 Raphael 06/07 and Marius 05/09 Known only in dreams but never forgotten: Euphrates Decluttering 290/2010
#26 of 73 Old 10-12-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RachaelsMommy View Post
I plan on tandem nursing, but don't know if she will like having to hold still when I'm nursing the baby.
Yep. As excited as DD is about this baby coming, I think we'll have to do a lot of prepping to explain that nursing will have to change. She wants to switch sides every two minutes, has a twiddling obsession that soothes her, and she likes to play a lot while nursing. I'll just wait to see if we make it to the third trimester before talking to her about changes.
#27 of 73 Old 10-12-2008, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
I am still nursing my almost 6 month old, he doesn't eat much real food yet and I don't know how much longer I can keep this up!! Who else is still nursing? How old is your nursling? Do you plan on tandem nursing?
I'm in the same boat but my DS is 7 months. This pregnancy was a total accident. In fact, DH has an appointment with the urologist for a vasectomy consult on Friday. We were done since between the two of us we have 5 kids already. Turns out someone out there had other plans. DS is still nursing but we've started him on solids. I have no idea how I'm going to juggle nursing a newborn alongside a 15 month old.

Katie
#28 of 73 Old 10-13-2008, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_in_PA View Post
I'm in the same boat but my DS is 7 months. This pregnancy was a total accident. In fact, DH has an appointment with the urologist for a vasectomy consult on Friday. We were done since between the two of us we have 5 kids already. Turns out someone out there had other plans. DS is still nursing but we've started him on solids. I have no idea how I'm going to juggle nursing a newborn alongside a 15 month old.

Katie
Glad there are other people still nursing a really little baby!! I honestly don't know that we will be able to do the tandeming thing... I am hoping that Trevor will self wean once he hits a year, because I didn't like nursing just him when he was a bitty baby, I can't imagine doing it with a baby and a 13 month old!!

#29 of 73 Old 10-13-2008, 10:08 AM

I am still nursing, but it's a totally different situation since my son is 4 and only nurses once a day for about a minute. But wow does his big head laying on my boobs hurt!
#30 of 73 Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 AM

My dd was 2 in Aug and is still nursing quite a bit. I am not planning to wean her but it's getting pretty uncomforable for me, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I was still nursing ds#1 while pg with #2 and I stopped because it got painful so I don't know what will happen this time. He was almost 2 and did fine with weaning then. I think my dd would be fine too, but I hate to wean her especially since this pg was unplanned and I didn't want to have to wean her before she was ready to be done nursing.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page