Chat Thread (October 11) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome to the new thread! Everyone is welcome to come and chat about anything and everything. I am really enjoying getting to know everyone.

I spent another night awake. I watched a movie, ate a snack, and did some stuff on the computer. Ds let us sleep in until 8 this morning, so I still got eight hours of sleep despite the four hour wake period.

This is a low key weekend for us. I have to make a return today, and we are going out to lunch. My brother might be coming over for a visit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 10:30 AM

I let DD play with the alarm clock yesterday and forgot to reset it before I went to bed. So when I woke up in the middle of the night and the clock said it was 9, I of course couldn't go back to sleep. Despite the fact that it was actually only, oh, 4 or so. Man, am I tired.
#3 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Hopefully you can get a nap in today nono.
#4 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 10:36 AM

I had trouble sleeping last night too, and I was all excited not to have to get up early. Last weekend I slept straight until 9am both days, and it was great. Last night I got up at 6am, 7am, finally I just got up. And I've been going to bed late too, midnight rather than 10 or 11. Maybe Ill schedule in a nap today

still not too nauseous, just when I am hungry I get a little queasy.

relaxing weekend for me too, hopefully, will do a long bike ride today or tomorrow, and can my last batch of tomato sauce.

mom to z (June 2009) and m (may 2011)

#5 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
My DH was out of town for a couple days, so last night I went to bed after 1am. : I did wake up a little before 7 and was able to get a shower before Aaron came down. He's recently switched to a big boy bed, and he quickly figured out how to open doors the same week we switched him. So I showered fast.

Today, we're going to go maternity clothes shopping. : My goal is to find one or two pairs of pants, and possibly a few shirts if I can find some good clearance deals or something. The jeans I wore last pregnancy are falling apart (they're from Walmart, so I kind of expect that). I have a pair of khaki pants from my first pregnancy that don't have a panel... the entire pant is made out of a really stretchy twill. But they're too short! They also have some weird discoloration on them.

I have a great gored khaki skirt that I look really good in during pregnancy, but I don't know how many of my tops will actually cover it. Thankfully the 2 skirts I usually wear when not pregnant should last me a while. One is a wrap skirt that I should be able to use the whole pregnancy (I made it, and I can put more buttonholes in it if necessary), and the other is an elastic waist that comfortably stretches a lot more than my normal size.

I have a few tops a friend gave me for winter wear, but some of them have horizontal stripes and I just don't look good in those. So maybe I can find some cheap tops somewhere that will be more flattering. I don't want to look like a whale!

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#6 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlissfullyLoving View Post
Hopefully you can get a nap in today nono.
If only. DH is working. As usual. And DD has given up naps. So no, no nap for me. I'll be lucky if I can swing a shower.

I swear during my first trimester of my last pregnancy, I slept 20 hours a day. Ahhh, those were the days.
#7 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafox View Post
relaxing weekend for me too, hopefully, will do a long bike ride today or tomorrow, and can my last batch of tomato sauce.
Sounds fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
My DH was out of town for a couple days, so last night I went to bed after 1am. : I did wake up a little before 7 and was able to get a shower before Aaron came down. He's recently switched to a big boy bed, and he quickly figured out how to open doors the same week we switched him. So I showered fast.

Today, we're going to go maternity clothes shopping. : My goal is to find one or two pairs of pants, and possibly a few shirts if I can find some good clearance deals or something. The jeans I wore last pregnancy are falling apart (they're from Walmart, so I kind of expect that). I have a pair of khaki pants from my first pregnancy that don't have a panel... the entire pant is made out of a really stretchy twill. But they're too short! They also have some weird discoloration on them.

I have a great gored khaki skirt that I look really good in during pregnancy, but I don't know how many of my tops will actually cover it. Thankfully the 2 skirts I usually wear when not pregnant should last me a while. One is a wrap skirt that I should be able to use the whole pregnancy (I made it, and I can put more buttonholes in it if necessary), and the other is an elastic waist that comfortably stretches a lot more than my normal size.

I have a few tops a friend gave me for winter wear, but some of them have horizontal stripes and I just don't look good in those. So maybe I can find some cheap tops somewhere that will be more flattering. I don't want to look like a whale!
I am going to do some maternity shopping probably next week. I hope you find some shirts and a good deal.
#8 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 AM

hello all

i am so happy, we are going to a hippie festival in yellow springs today! i can't wait to stock up on little tie-dyed onsies!!

btw, does anyone here have an etsy shop? since i've been pg, i quit lifting weights, and started sewing like a madwoman! i have made little flannel and fleece skirts and patchwork. i am giving some to my cousin who is pg with a girl, but i am opening my own etsy store too!

ps, last night i had a few sips from my husband's wine glass to celebrate the pregnancy. shh! don't tell anyone. my husband and i sort of have a european attitude about that kind of thing.

have a beautiful saturday, everyone.
#9 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 12:18 PM

double post - oops
#10 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Bliss - yay for quiet weekends! For us those are def few and far between. Are you close to your brother? How often do you guys get together?

NoNo - alarm clock mis-haps are the WORST!! How old is your DD? I dread the day when my dd doesnt nap. I havent gotten to the exhausted stage yet, but since i am in school i NEED her to nap for a few hours so i can get stuff done. Does your DH always work weekends? I hope you atleast have a relaxing day...and go to bed early! Thats an order!

Seafox - have a nice bike ride! We used to go alot when DD was little, but now that shes *3* she wont sit in the infant seat and insists on riding her own bike <sigh>. How have your sauce's turned out? I was going to try canning, but it was a really bad tomatoe season for us. The only ones that were really good were the cherry tomatoes. What is the recipe that you used? Did you can anything else this year? I'd really love to make strawberry jam next season.

bosco - my Dh was out of town too, and while i didnt stay up tooo late i did get a chance to watch the "sex in the city movie"!!! I'm so jealous that you're going maternity shopping. I pulled out a bunch of my clothes, but like you, some of them are kinda falling apart.

2in09 - Hippy fest?!?!!! Im sooooo jealous! When you open your shop please give us the link, id love to see your stuff! Look at you being all maternal already!

AFM - Dh was gone all week on a work trip - i picked him up last night at the airport and of course im working today and tomorrow and then he is going away again on Monday. I'm so sad. It was awesome to see him last night, since i told him i was pregnant while he was away, he came running up to us and kissed my belly!!

What does everyone have planned for monday?! We're (me and DD) are gonna go to a local fair for the day.

I hope everyone is having a nice saturday!
#11 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 12:35 PM

Anyone else dealing with the early pregnancy mega bloating of doom?

Not even 6 weeks and I can barely get my wedding ring on

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#12 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinsJuneBug View Post
NoNo - alarm clock mis-haps are the WORST!! How old is your DD? I dread the day when my dd doesnt nap. I havent gotten to the exhausted stage yet, but since i am in school i NEED her to nap for a few hours so i can get stuff done. Does your DH always work weekends? I hope you atleast have a relaxing day...and go to bed early! Thats an order!
She is 2 1/2. She hasn't napped since July, except for an occasional poorly-timed nap in the car, usually resulting in her being awake hours past her bedtime. We are used to it, though, because she's been self nap-weaning since before she was 1 1/2.

DH has a very irregular schedule. He usually has one day "off" a week, and it could be any day of the week. And he often works from home or even goes into work for a few hours on his day off. This month he is setting is own schedule, which I was hoping meant I would see him more, but apparently means I will see him less. : I guess I should be happy he is so motivated.

Yes, I am planning on doing basically nothing today, except a bit of laundry, dishes, and meals. And, of course, reading and playing games. I feel like a total zombie.
#13 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 01:22 PM

Hey everyone! We are hopefully having a quiet weekend around here too... tomorrow is my friend's birthday so she is coming over for lunch and I am attempting to make a strawberry marbled cheesecake, I have never done it so I hope it comes out ok!! Right now hubby is out helping a friend air up her tires because her hubby is deployed, then we have errands to run. The dorky dog keeps digging up the dish cord so we are going to get paving stones to cover it.

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#14 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 01:41 PM

hi all! a quiet weekend sounds nice. i'd like to have a family nap today- we'll see if dd cooperates

i attended a beautiful birth this morning. : i am only a first year midiwfery student but i sure do love being at a birth and assisting. my midwife can be pretty tough on me, but now that she knows i'm pg. i think she's eased up a little. she is really blunt and sometimes abrasive (to me, not clients). she's a total new-yorker; i am getting used to her harshness, but sometimes it hurts my feelings or makes me feel really stupid. it's not like i'm making mistakes all over the place or anything. sometimes it's like there's no pleasing her.

we have 3 more births for this month and then 4 next month. i don't know how to balance it all with having a little one, a husband and being pg. i feel like i embarked on this about a year or two too soon, but i am managing as best as i can. being on call 24/7 for the whole month is challenging, and i am the only assistant my mw has, so i HAVE to be there no matter what.

dh took dd to his parents this morning to give me some alone time. i sure do love that man! : i think he's starting to understand how big of an emotional expendature it is to attend births, and he's been giving me unwind time like this, so long as he's available to do so. this is one reason i like it when births are on the weekends.

i wonder when my morning sickness will get into full swing. these waves of nausea aren't so bad, but i feel like this won't be all there is in the way of feeling barfy.
#15 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 02:05 PM

Oh Liss - i feel you girl! While i dont have the whole 24/7 on call thing, i am in school too and have another child. WE CAN DO IT!!! Basically for us it just came down the fact that we want our kids to be close(ish) in age, and we wanted another baby for our daughter and family. I WANT to be in school and i love what i do. I hated doing it, but putting DD in daycare 1 day a week when i am NOT at school was the best thing i have done. I have 1 day every week when i am home alone all day. I get all my studying done, catch up on any house work and can actually take a long-ish shower and feel human for a moment. I think it’s so important as parents for us to follow our own dreams too - what could be a better role model to your children encouraging them to follow their dreams.

I am so jealous that you are seeing natural childbirth - i start my maternity rotation in 2 weeks where im sure i will see several c-sections and maybe a vaginal birth. My professor pushes me like that too - and i have cried MANY times. I feel stupid all of the time, and i have literally had instructor say "You are going to KILL SOMEONE." Nice, huh?
#16 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I think it’s so important as parents for us to follow our own dreams too - what could be a better role model to your children encouraging them to follow their dreams.
#17 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Well, I'm back from shopping. We stopped by JCPenney, Motherhood Maternity, Target, and a local kids' consignment shop that has a small maternity section too.

The kids were WILD in JCP... I should have brought a stroller or at least worn Aaron on my back (he's at the age where I usually have him walk, but I sometimes still need to wear him). The JCP clothes don't have sizes easily visible, so you have to find the tag on each item and then check the size, rather than just looking at the hanger or something. Very annoying. But I found a pair of brown cords that is the most comfy thing EVER. I also found one top and a cami (would have gotten 2 if they'd had more than 1 size XL). All were on sale.

Next we went to Motherhood. I found some really cute stuff, and it was on sale, but the sale price was still more than I wanted to pay for those items (like $20 for a top), so I put everything back. The kids played with books while I was changing, and the saleswoman watched them for me. So that was nice.

At Target, we found one top that was $4.98.

Then at the consignment shop, I found another pair of the same brown cords, but a slightly older version (detailing on back pockets are different, and that's about it). Plus I found 2 tops I really like.

So the total haul is 2 pairs of super duper comfy brown cords, 4 tops, and a cami. :

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#18 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 04:53 PM

boscopup, it sounds like you were productive. We went to a fire department open house. Not the one my DH is on, but a neighboring department. You'd think our kids wouldn't get that excited about firetrucks since they "live" at the department with their dad, but they do and we HAD to ride the firetruck!

I'm feeling really icky today. Not sick, just emotional. DH just left for his stupid parttime job that he picked up for some extra cash and I really should be sleeping. The two little ones are sleeping and the 5 year old is resting.

I hope I can get out of this funk soon! I don't know why I'm feeling so down!

I hope everyone is enjoying their day!!!
#19 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 05:27 PM

Hey everyone!

I am exhausted, we went for our first u/s today so of course I couldn't sleep last night! We have one very strong baby in there (high hcg levels) and we even got to see the heartbeat (118 ppm), it was sooo cool! Our surro M also got some drugs for her nausea, so hopefully she will feel better soon. Now we just need that little baby to keep hanging out in there for at least the next 31 weeks and get bigger, stronger and smarter everyday.

They put in two embryos, so initially we were hoping for twins (we probably cannot afford to do this again) but after reading more about twins and thinking about all that work (and my health is not great), we were kinda relieved to have one little baby in there!

It is Thanksgiving this weekend in Canada, so we are off to go pick up our turkey and all that sort of goodness. Going to the MIL's tomorrow and having my family on Monday. And lots of naps!
#20 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critty View Post
We have one very strong baby in there (high hcg levels) and we even got to see the heartbeat (118 ppm), it was sooo cool! Our surro M also got some drugs for her nausea, so hopefully she will feel better soon.
Wow thats aweosme!!! I cant wait to hear a heartbeat! : How wonderful that you are close enough to your Surro to attend dr. appts.

My dh was in Canada for business and came home for the weekend because everything is dead up there for the holiday. Have a Happy thanksgiving!!
#21 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Hey everyone!

I am exhausted, we went for our first u/s today so of course I couldn't sleep last night! We have one very strong baby in there (high hcg levels) and we even got to see the heartbeat (118 ppm), it was sooo cool! Our surro M also got some drugs for her nausea, so hopefully she will feel better soon. Now we just need that little baby to keep hanging out in there for at least the next 31 weeks and get bigger, stronger and smarter everyday.

They put in two embryos, so initially we were hoping for twins (we probably cannot afford to do this again) but after reading more about twins and thinking about all that work (and my health is not great), we were kinda relieved to have one little baby in there!

It is Thanksgiving this weekend in Canada, so we are off to go pick up our turkey and all that sort of goodness. Going to the MIL's tomorrow and having my family on Monday. And lots of naps!
That's AWESOME news. I know there is a huge allure about twins, but really, you can count your blessings whether you've got them or not.
#22 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 06:04 PM

It's a beautiful Saturday here (in the 70s-80s which is great for Texas). DF and I were planning on getting some new clothes for me since my wardrobe is kinda small but since we were up last night I think we're just going to relax around the house and take a little nap. Tonight we're meeting up with friends and having dinner so that'll be fun. I work tomorrow so I plan on being a complete and total bum today lol. I did start spotting a bit this morning but I'm hoping its nothing to worry about. Its super light and looks like old blood so we'll keep an eye on things. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#23 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

I'm not too bad, except I just tried to take my engagement ring off... and it wouldn't budge I'm seriously gassy though.

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Happy Thanksgiving! We're off for Turkey tonight, with another one on Monday. We are going to tell our parents this weekend too. I figure it'll be a great time, as we usually go around the table and say what we're thankful for.

Congratulations on hearing the heartbeat : I can't wait for that, although it's going to be a long time yet as we aren't planning an early ultrasound.

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#24 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 06:52 PM

So,
Is anyone else losing weight? I'm about 3 to 4 lbs lighter today than I was on Monday when I got my bfp. I'm obviously not trying to lose weight now, I'm eating lots and I'm not to nauseous. Do you think this is a problem? I'm not overweight, but I'm certainly not underweight either, so I can probably spare 10 or so more pounds before it's an issue, but I want to make sure the baby is getting everything s/he needs!

Carlin blowkiss.gif - loving life with DH guitar.gif and 2 amazing daughtersenergy.gifbaby.gif

#25 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlin View Post
So,
Is anyone else losing weight? I'm about 3 to 4 lbs lighter today than I was on Monday when I got my bfp. I'm obviously not trying to lose weight now, I'm eating lots and I'm not to nauseous. Do you think this is a problem? I'm not overweight, but I'm certainly not underweight either, so I can probably spare 10 or so more pounds before it's an issue, but I want to make sure the baby is getting everything s/he needs!
As long as you are eating healthy, the baby will take what it needs before you get what you need!! It isn't uncommon to lose a few pounds as you adjust, as long as you are eating well and eating when you are hungry you should be fine!

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#26 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks Chely,
I guess I know that, but it's pretty unusual for me to "accidentally" lose weight. It took me about 4 months to lose 10 lbs before this. I wish it had been this easy!

#27 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 07:03 PM

These threads are hard for me. Hard for me to keep track of who is who and what's going on with who, so I'll probably do a lot more reading than posting in them. As for me though, I'm pretty much nauseated all day (expected it) and am craving junk foods and I don't enjoy being pregnant much at all.

: Mom to a wonderful teen girl, a happy little boy and a cute baby girl
#28 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Alohamelly. Sorry you aren't having a good time. I know what you mean about the threads moving fast. It took me 1/2 an hour to catch up today and I was on MDC way too much yesterday!

#29 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Bliss - yay for quiet weekends! For us those are def few and far between. Are you close to your brother? How often do you guys get together?
AFM - Dh was gone all week on a work trip - i picked him up last night at the airport and of course im working today and tomorrow and then he is going away again on Monday. I'm so sad. It was awesome to see him last night, since i told him i was pregnant while he was away, he came running up to us and kissed my belly!!

What does everyone have planned for monday?! We're (me and DD) are gonna go to a local fair for the day.
I am very close to my brother. He is my best friend. We usually see each other once a week, and talk almost every day. He still does not know about the baby, so that is a little weird. I told him I would tell him right away, but he said that the loss was so hard on him that he would prefer we wait to tell him. We are compromising and telling him after the time we lost our baby, and hopefully that will be a good sign that this baby is .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflwrmoonbeam View Post

My feet were a little swollen today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chely7425 View Post
Hey everyone! We are hopefully having a quiet weekend around here too... tomorrow is my friend's birthday so she is coming over for lunch and I am attempting to make a strawberry marbled cheesecake, I have never done it so I hope it comes out ok!! Right now hubby is out helping a friend air up her tires because her hubby is deployed, then we have errands to run. The dorky dog keeps digging up the dish cord so we are going to get paving stones to cover it.
That sounds annoying and dangerous that your dog keeps digging up your cord. Good luck getting it covered.

How did the cheesecake come out? I have been craving some almond cheesecake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by liss_420 View Post
i attended a beautiful birth this morning. : i am only a first year midiwfery student but i sure do love being at a birth and assisting. my midwife can be pretty tough on me, but now that she knows i'm pg. i think she's eased up a little. she is really blunt and sometimes abrasive (to me, not clients). she's a total new-yorker; i am getting used to her harshness, but sometimes it hurts my feelings or makes me feel really stupid. it's not like i'm making mistakes all over the place or anything. sometimes it's like there's no pleasing her.

we have 3 more births for this month and then 4 next month. i don't know how to balance it all with having a little one, a husband and being pg. i feel like i embarked on this about a year or two too soon, but i am managing as best as i can. being on call 24/7 for the whole month is challenging, and i am the only assistant my mw has, so i HAVE to be there no matter what.
Wow, that is a lot of births. Hopefully things will slow down for you soon. I am sure you will figure out a way to balance everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boscopup View Post
Well, I'm back from shopping. We stopped by JCPenney, Motherhood Maternity, Target, and a local kids' consignment shop that has a small maternity section too.

So the total haul is 2 pairs of super duper comfy brown cords, 4 tops, and a cami. :
Yay that is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwill129 View Post
I'm feeling really icky today. Not sick, just emotional. DH just left for his stupid parttime job that he picked up for some extra cash and I really should be sleeping. The two little ones are sleeping and the 5 year old is resting.

I hope I can get out of this funk soon! I don't know why I'm feeling so down!
Probably just hormones.

Quote:
Hey everyone!

Yay! : Have a great Thanksgiving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy0717 View Post
It's a beautiful Saturday here (in the 70s-80s which is great for Texas). DF and I were planning on getting some new clothes for me since my wardrobe is kinda small but since we were up last night I think we're just going to relax around the house and take a little nap. Tonight we're meeting up with friends and having dinner so that'll be fun. I work tomorrow so I plan on being a complete and total bum today lol. I did start spotting a bit this morning but I'm hoping its nothing to worry about. Its super light and looks like old blood so we'll keep an eye on things. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
Have a great night. Most likely the spotting is nothing. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Quote:
So,
I have not weighed myself, but doubt I am losing weight. It is not a problem at all and very common. Your body will take care of the baby before it will take care of you, so do not worry at all about your baby.

me: We went out to lunch today. I had a yummy pasta with seafood. We stopped off at dh's parent's house after. Ds had fun playing there. We went to the library to get some books for ds, and now we are relaxing at home.
#30 of 103 Old 10-11-2008, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamelly View Post
These threads are hard for me. Hard for me to keep track of who is who and what's going on with who, so I'll probably do a lot more reading than posting in them. As for me though, I'm pretty much nauseated all day (expected it) and am craving junk foods and I don't enjoy being pregnant much at all.
What about the junk food are you craving? Salty or sweet? Can you somehow give into your craving in a healthier way?

Quote:
Alohamelly. Sorry you aren't having a good time. I know what you mean about the threads moving fast. It took me 1/2 an hour to catch up today and I was on MDC way too much tomorrow!
Yeah it took me a while to catch up too.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page