Mothering Forum banner

VBAC ers

754 views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  CawMama 
#1 ·
Hi there,
Anyone planning a VBAC?
This hopefully will be my 2nd VBAC. I was wondering if anyone else out there is doing the same.

#8 ·
I am. I'm actually nervous. The last pregnancy, reason for c section was breech presentation, and I went into labor/water broke @ 36 weeks. No choice. Dr. said I could try VBAC in future. I am quite nervous w/ tales of tearing the scar and bleeding. I will go for it, I'm just freaked out should some complication occur. Anyone else? It will be almost 3 years between births by the time new baby is ready.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monk Monk View Post
I am. I'm actually nervous. The last pregnancy, reason for c section was breech presentation, and I went into labor/water broke @ 36 weeks. No choice. Dr. said I could try VBAC in future. I am quite nervous w/ tales of tearing the scar and bleeding. I will go for it, I'm just freaked out should some complication occur. Anyone else? It will be almost 3 years between births by the time new baby is ready.
I suggest you really do some research on the topic. Risks of uterine rupture during a VBAC are very low....especially when cervical ripener are not used.

There is a really good website, but I just can't think of the name of it right now. This one has some good info as well: http://www.vbac.com/

Doctors don't support VBACs because it is considered "high risk" and they dont' want to pay the liability insurance (I've had receptionists tell me this before).

You also might want to ask some questions around on the Birth Professionals forum here on MDC....lots of really good info out there that can help you make whatever decision is right for you!

#10 ·
I second doing more research so that you will feel assured that a VBAC is safer than a repeat C-section. Basically, the only people who don't seem to view VBAC as the preferred option are people who stand to make money from C-sections or who are worried about liability.

The best books I have read about it so far are A Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth; A Good Birth, A Safe Birth; and VBAC Companion. The first book is awesome for getting medically-backed information about birth options, including VBAC. Based on this book, as well as others, we are planning a home birth (we will be close to a hospital). There is a line in A Good Birth, A Safe Birth that says something like, "One should not *try* for a VBAC, one should labor just like any other woman." Somehow, this reassures me a lot.

#12 ·
I am having a VBAC/HBAC my MW is fine with being either my midwife at home, or Doula in the hospital...
. My first was a natural beautiful birth at a free standing birth center. Second was my homebirth, that ended in a section due little booger going frank breech the last 2 hours of labor. Made it to 10, only to have my midwife say, you are there, and I feel a butt...lol. So, we see no reason I cannot have another normal old delivery...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.