Let's talk about names! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is it too early to talk about names? I don't want to bring it up with DH yet (not for another few weeks).

I have 4 boy names that I like, and 2 girl names. They are:

Boys: Oliver, Evander, Griffin, Dorian

Girls: Veronica, Naomi (I like Veronica best, and wouldn't mind Naomi for a mn). ETA: I also really like Amelia but DH doesn't like it as much as me.

How about you??

stillheart.gif The Hippie & the Marine stillheart.gif  hh2.gif
My boys: S (4) & O (2) & Expecting #3 in Dec. 2011

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 05:25 PM

I am SOOOO already thinking about names.

Girls: Cadence, Natalie, Tara
middle- I'd like to stick with Ann, which is my middle name, and my mom's and grandma's. I've liked having that extra connection with them, yk?

Boys: Dawson. Tyler (or any Ty name, really) was at the top of the list when I was pg with ds, the only problem for us is how popular it is. Hmmm....
middle- not sure. Ds has fil's mn. I don't like my dad enough to use his mn. I could use one of my grandpa's names: Don(ald) and Herb(ert). We'll see.

Becky, partner to Teague, SAHM to Keagan (7yo), Jonah (2yo)

#3 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 05:33 PM

Names that I like (Which means that dh probably doesn't)

Boys- Lincoln, Jack, Oliver, Jude, Drae (prn dray, would prefer a longer name and this as a nn, but can't think of one I like)
Girls- Lydia, Lucy, Ayla, Olivia (hate the popularity)

Names that dh likes
Boys- Otto, Moses
Girls- Lydia

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#4 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 05:33 PM - Thread Starter

Oh.. I hadn't even thought of middle names for the boys yet!

Sebastian's middle name is Dee, so I've always thought it would be cute to have "Jay" be a middle name for a boy... but that might be too much? I love that He can be Sebastian D. and it's still the same! (you know, like Homer J. )

#5 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevaMajka View Post
I am SOOOO already thinking about names.

Girls: Cadence, Natalie, Tara
middle- I'd like to stick with Ann, which is my middle name, and my mom's and grandma's. I've liked having that extra connection with them, yk?

Boys: Dawson. Tyler (or any Ty name, really) was at the top of the list when I was pg with ds, the only problem for us is how popular it is. Hmmm....
middle- not sure. Ds has fil's mn. I don't like my dad enough to use his mn. I could use one of my grandpa's names: Don(ald) and Herb(ert). We'll see.
I love Cadence & Dawson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyetamommy View Post
Names that I like (Which means that dh probably doesn't)

Boys- Lincoln, Jack, Oliver, Jude, Drae (prn dray, would prefer a longer name and this as a nn, but can't think of one I like)
Girls- Lydia, Lucy, Ayla, Olivia (hate the popularity)

Names that dh likes
Boys- Otto, Moses
Girls- Lydia
Obviously, I like Oliver, but I also like Jude a lot too.. and Lydia is cute too! (I like Olivia as well, but like you, it's the popularity that makes me not want to use it.. same with Sophia)

#6 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 06:46 PM

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Haven't even brought it up with DH yet... the name discussions are often difficult.

Boy: David (have no clue if DH will nix this or not)
Girl: Rachel, Sarah, Naomi...

Rachel was DS#1's girl name, and Sarah was DS#2's girl name, so I really kind of want to pick something new, but I'm 90% sure DH won't like Naomi, and I'm having a hard time thinking of girl names I like that fit with our other boys, who ended up being both Old Testament names. So I'd really like to keep up the theme, but I'm not really feeling the love of any of the girls' names for this baby (my brother, sister, and I all had different boy/girl names, so for example when my brother turned out to be a boy, they didn't take his girl name and use it for me... I got something new... just kind of always liked having my own boy name that didn't belong to my siblings ).

Mama to Tornado Boy (6/04), The Brute (11/06), and Mischief (05/09)... expecting in February '15
#7 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Boy - Bennett Luca. Set in stone. Bennett is the last name of DH's aunt who practically raised him and Luca is where my grandmothers family is from (in Italy).

Girl - oh so many options. Ayla, Lilah, Georgia, Karis, Adelle (which Dh hates but i LOVE), or Kinslie. Middle name for all options will be Ripari (its my grandmothers maiden name, and my middle name)
#8 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 09:06 PM

Boys: Logan (DF LOVES this name), Cross, Calem (pronoucned Cay-lem)

Girl:Sydney Evelyn (after my great-grandmother) and that's all we've got for girl's names so far

dreads.gif  ribbonyellow.gif Proud Army Wife to DH ribbonyellow.gif  mama to one busy boy blahblah.gif and his dog2.gif  
#9 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 09:30 PM

Oh Callum - i forgot about that name. I like when it is pronounced "Cal - em"
#10 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shy0717 View Post
Boys: Logan (DF LOVES this name), Cross, Calem (pronoucned Cay-lem)
My friend has a DS she named Kaylum.. I think she said she saw the name Callum and thought thats how it was pronounced, and when she realized it wasn't they changed the spelling.

#11 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 09:54 PM

I've had the girl name of Sky picked out since 1995. My family keeps waiting for Sky to come along. So, if it's a girl she will be Sky Mary (my mom's name).

For a boy, dh likes the name Rayner, but I think that's sort of strange....so he has agreed to settle with Rayne. But, that is not set in stone. I just know I'd like his middle name to be Stanley (which is my Dad's name....even though he's begged me not to do that to my poor child).

I really like Otto....that was dh's grandfather's name.

Carrin Mama to Sawyer 4/06 and TTC #2 I am a WAHM!
#12 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 10:38 PM

Girl: Evelyn Rose, Morgan Fianna. I might throw Leslie in there too, as I've had a lot of losses and Leslie is my aunt who died when she was 5 days old.

Boy: Mostly clueless, but we currently like Geoffrey (with a 'G', I'm a medievalist) and Alexander. I love Connor, but DH hates it.

Ashley, Pagan treehugger.gif mama to E (6/09) and my beautiful hbac.gif baby T (4/3/12)
#13 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 11:00 PM

Oh, how much easier it was to discuss baby names before being faced with the task of actually naming one for real! We have talked about names for years and I thought it would be easy as we were pretty much settled on both a boy and girl name, but now I am really not so sure....

For a girl, it is pretty certain to be Abigail.

For a boy, I really wanted Ethan before but for some reason when we discussed it in the past we didn't notice it had the "th" sound in that DH can't actually pronounce correctly! He sounds a soft "f" instead of "th", although if he really tries with some coaching he can make a pretty convincing "th" sound. So we are torn because we love the name, but it doesn't seem very sensible when DH will most likely slip into bad pronunciation most of the time... WWYD?!

Mama to DD (June '09) and very newly expecting #2 Oct '11
#14 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 11:07 PM

Girls- My dh loves the name Adelle, which I like but I am not sold. Some other contenders are Eleanor, Miriam, and Laurel. My favorite girl name is Pearl, but my dh doesn't like it.

Boys- We haven't discussed boy's names a lot, but I really like the name Theodore.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#15 of 78 Old 10-25-2008, 11:41 PM

when i was pg. w/dd all we picked was a girl name, b/c i told dh that the baby was a girl and we needn't bother with a boy name turns out i was right.

this time i SWEAR the baby is a boy, so we picked a boy name: tavish dale. that's it, we have no girl name and i don't think we'll be picking one out. if it turns out the baby is a girl, we'll jsut take a couple of days after the birth to figure out a name. i am already calling him tavish and have made a folder on my computer for his pregnancy, birth and baby photos. kind of strange, i know, but i just feel it in my bones that this baby is a little tavish man. i also did the same thing on my computer with dd. at like 4 weeks pg. she had a vashti folder. :
#16 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

liss- Did you do it on purpose that Vashti & Tavish have all the same letters?
----

Oh, I've also thought of Ethan for a middle name too, because it combines DH's and my names together Elizabeth & Nathan

#17 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 02:56 AM

Girl - Grace Elizabeth Daisy

Boy - Ethan George Dwayne

Yep, that's 2 middle names for each..... Same as our first child....

Shannon & Paul...married since 2000. Parents to Alexander Paul Martin - 30 October, 2003 Grace Elizabeth Maile - 12 June, 2009
#18 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 03:22 AM

If this baby is a girl she will be Emma Rose. I am liking Bradley Ryan for a boy but we aren't sure on that one yet...

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#19 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerbaby View Post
For a boy, I really wanted Ethan before but for some reason when we discussed it in the past we didn't notice it had the "th" sound in that DH can't actually pronounce correctly! He sounds a soft "f" instead of "th", although if he really tries with some coaching he can make a pretty convincing "th" sound. So we are torn because we love the name, but it doesn't seem very sensible when DH will most likely slip into bad pronunciation most of the time... WWYD?!
I encountered the same problem! We're really stuck on girls' names and I've suggested a few with "th" in them. I never noticed before that DH has some issues with pronouncing "th." I suppose it would be mean to name our child something DH can't even pronounce...

DD 5/25/09 :
5/22/11
#20 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 10:57 AM

We are also considering David for a boy. It's my husband's grandfather's name. We were at the cemetery this summer and we both looked at each other and agreed that David was a good name. He never met him, but he sounds like a really cool guy.

I was trying to convince DH on Pearl too, but he said it sounds like an old woman's name. It was. It was my great grandmother's. LOL! I also like Emma, my other great grandmother's name. Emma is really popular now though.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09
#21 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 11:14 AM

Yeah. I succumbed to baby name looking up last night. lol

I have no idea...we like unique...but I like classic too... just classic names that don't get used too much... or that you don't hear all the time...

With Willow (yeah I know... not that unique anymore...*sigh*) we didn't want to name the kid after anyone we know. Which was cool... however... my dad died earlier this year, and I kind of wanted to incorporate his name or the meaning of his name into a kid's name... Who knows.

I like the name Garen (Sounds like Hair-N) for either...
And I really like the name Lucy...hmmmm

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#22 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 11:26 AM

I guess I don't really care how popular a name is.. we have people we want to honor with our kid's names and names we like, ya know?

Rachel, proud Army wife to my superhero.gif and SAHM to my crazy boys jumpers.gif... Trevor 4/08, Trenton 6/09 and Travis 10/10
#23 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzyQ View Post
liss- Did you do it on purpose that Vashti & Tavish have all the same letters?
----
you know what?? NO! i had no idea until you just spelled it out for me (no pun intended)! i just showed dh, and he thought it was pretty cool. so do i. i guess we just have an affinity for those letters?!
#24 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

The popularity of a name def. effects our choices of names. There are a few girls names that I love that are in the top 10 in popularity.. there is no way I want my little girl to have to be Isabella S. or Sophia S. for the rest of her life.

But if I really like a name and want to honor someone with it, and it is that popular, the middle name spot is a good place for it..

Obviously, that's all my opinion about it.
----

I also like classic, normal, yet unique names.. but some of them aren't really unique anymore either. When I first liked Sebastian and wanted to name my first son that name (around 1996 or so), it was like in the top 250, now its around the top 80 or so!

#25 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liss_420 View Post
you know what?? NO! i had no idea until you just spelled it out for me (no pun intended)! i just showed dh, and he thought it was pretty cool. so do i. i guess we just have an affinity for those letters?!
Wow.. well, that's pretty awesome! :

#26 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowsmom View Post
And I really like the name Lucy...hmmmm
That's my DD's name!
#27 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 11:19 PM

We are both of Celtic heritage and our last name is Scottish. We named our dd Carys because it means beloved in Welsh Gaelic. Her mn is Bryn because that fit well. There was a lot of struggling to findher name. Mainly it was me coming up with ideas and him saying,"What? That? No way!" I eventually pulled him around on Carys, though. Heh.

This time around he's told me that since I'm doing all the work I get to name the baby. And also he said I picked a good one last time. I was floored.

So, if it's a girl, she will be Aine (prn. Awn-yah) Maeve. If it's a boy, he'll be Ronan Ianto (prn. Yahn-tow). I'm happy with either name.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#28 of 78 Old 10-26-2008, 11:32 PM

I love those names, Beach!

We're talking names right now. So far... for a girl, I'm really digging Carson.

Jenn - Mom, Photographer, Barista 

#29 of 78 Old 10-27-2008, 10:49 AM

We like Lilah Grace for a girl.

No idea for a boy....

Married to my best friend, expecting #1 6/09. Little angel came early- 4/10/09, 2lbs 5oz. Lilah Grace:
#30 of 78 Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM

My favorite Gaelic name for a girl is Sorcha (pronounced Sorka). The problem is that our nieces name is Sarah which is it's equivalent. My grandmother would never get it right either. She misspells Gabe on everything she ever spends him. She always put Gab on them everytime.

Mama to Gabe 8-03 and Cyan 5-09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page