Anyone else renting a doppler? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 10-26-2008, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please no debate about the use of a doppler or not.

I rented one with dd, after multiple m/c is was so reassuring to be able to find her heartbeat, especially since she didn't move around much. I just put in my order again at babybeat.com They're 3mhz ones are supposed to be able to detect the heartbeat as early as 8 weeks. Can't wait to get it and try, although I won't worry until after 10+ weeks if I can't find it. The doppler was also a great way to get my oldest involved in the pregnancy last time. She loved rubbing the gel all over and trying to find the heartbeat.

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#2 of 12 Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM

I'm not, but I wouldn't worry if you can't find it even after 10 weeks. Some people can never find it at home (probably due to placement of the placenta and the baby and other stuff). But let us know when you do, that will be fun!

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#3 of 12 Old 10-26-2008, 10:02 PM

I probably will, since I am not going to be receiving prenatal care until I get insurance at 18 or so weeks. I am planning on waiting until 11 or 12 weeks, so I have a better chance of finding it.

Midwifery Student and Mama to 2 daughters and 3 sons.     
ribboncesarean.gif vbac.gifhomebirth.jpg I have given birth a variety of ways and I am thankful for what each one has taught me.

#4 of 12 Old 10-26-2008, 10:13 PM

I probably won't rent one this time around, but I did last time (after previous m/c) and it really helped keep my mind at ease. I found it as soon as the doppler arrived, I think at 9w exactly.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#5 of 12 Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM

I'm considering it, especially with all the worry and stress I've been dealing with lately. I checked out a few sites; I've also found them for sale on e(vil)Bay, and they don't look too bad, price-wise.

I have a question, though. I'm not going back to my old OB, but I have yet to find a midwife in my area. The eBay auctions and some other research seems to suggest that the FDA regulates these things, and you can only get one (rental OR purchase, though I'm thinking of buying) if you have a "prescription" or approval from a care provider. Is that something I really have to worry about? Will someone from the FDA really be knocking on my door or bringing me up on charges for unauthorized purchase??
#6 of 12 Old 10-27-2008, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

I know for renting both times, no one asked me for a "perscription" or anything. Babybeat.com also allows you to buy your doppler during the rental period. Hmmm...of course it might be everyone just 'looking the other way'.

Amy - mama to dd 2/2007 and ds who arrived 2/2010 my VBAC
                  Comfy Cozy Diapers
Newborn Rentals, Military Discount, Free Layaway

14 Day Guarantee - Return diapers if you don't like them

Follow us on Facebook & Twitter

#7 of 12 Old 10-27-2008, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anicholsonmartin View Post
I know for renting both times, no one asked me for a "perscription" or anything. Babybeat.com also allows you to buy your doppler during the rental period. Hmmm...of course it might be everyone just 'looking the other way'.
Hmmm...maybe you're right. The FDA should have better things to do than tracking down all the worried pg. women who're buying dopplers, after all.

I think I'm going to ask the hubby for some no-questions-asked "blow it" money and buy one this afternoon. The seller I'm looking at ships priority mail, so maybe if I'm really lucky, DH will come home this weekend and I'll be able to surprise him. He usually takes his cues from me, and I've had a hard time getting excited about the babe after all the troubles we had getting here. This might just make the difference.

So, from what I'm seeing, it's possible, though not guaranteed, to get a hb with a 3mhz doppler by this weekend (~10.5 weeks), right?

Now to run off and buy it...and hope that I don't get it and find *two* little heartbeats...
#8 of 12 Old 10-30-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by favrielle View Post
I have a question, though. I'm not going back to my old OB, but I have yet to find a midwife in my area. The eBay auctions and some other research seems to suggest that the FDA regulates these things, and you can only get one (rental OR purchase, though I'm thinking of buying) if you have a "prescription" or approval from a care provider. Is that something I really have to worry about? Will someone from the FDA really be knocking on my door or bringing me up on charges for unauthorized purchase??
Quote:
When I rented mine from babybeat.com they did ask at the check out phase for the name and # of my doctor. Since I was UPing I just made up a name and put my # down. No one ever called me to confirm I had a "prescription" I did the 6 month rental and then just keep it. After the pre-paid rental period is up they just charge your cc the monthly rental price until the purchase price is paid.

Quote:
Please no debate about the use of a doppler or not.

I rented one with dd, after multiple m/c is was so reassuring to be able to find her heartbeat, especially since she didn't move around much. I just put in my order again at babybeat.com They're 3mhz ones are supposed to be able to detect the heartbeat as early as 8 weeks. Can't wait to get it and try, although I won't worry until after 10+ weeks if I can't find it. The doppler was also a great way to get my oldest involved in the pregnancy last time. She loved rubbing the gel all over and trying to find the heartbeat.
I'm with you on it being a reassurance! I am a nervous wreck after 2 m/c. I am 8w 4d and last night I tried, but I'm not sure if I got the HB or not. The displayed (I have the 3 mhz one with the display) picked up something that read 135 bpm (so normal FHR) but it didn't actually pick up the sound For now I'm telling myself that's the HB

Trish~mama to Kaelie 5/03 and Amelia 12/13, surro mama to Aidan 2/08 & Ellyss 6/09, 

#9 of 12 Old 10-30-2008, 04:01 PM

I rented one from dynamicdoppler last time and it really gave me peace of mind. I should check out babybeat too. I definitely want to do it this time too...

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#10 of 12 Old 11-09-2008, 10:49 AM

Bumping this up to see if any of you ladies received your dopplers and have had any success with them yet?

I just now placed an order for the basic one through babybeat. This will be the 3rd time we've rented one and they've given me tremendous peace of mind before. I really feel like I need to find out what's going on in there before I have my ob appt in a couple weeks.

Attached, homeschooling mom to Sam (10), Henry (8), Clara (5--now in public school Kindergarten) and Noah (2)

#11 of 12 Old 11-09-2008, 03:10 PM

i rented the same one from babybeat with ds. i'm not sure i will with this one. my first was a stillborn so it was very reasuring with my second to hear his hb anytime i felt like it. i only did it once a week cause supposedly it's not good if u do it all the time. i feel confident with this pregnancy though so i may not get it. plus i'm a sahm so no money for doppler rental
#12 of 12 Old 11-09-2008, 03:19 PM

LOVED my babybeat doppler.
i had real complications that it detected first. i use it this time a bit for reassurance, which i needed, but then only if im worried something is wrong. well worth it, for me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page