Stupid/Asinine/Unnecessary/Inappropriate Comments: Post away! - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 279 Old 05-29-2009, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by notyetamommy View Post
An annoying one I've been getting like crazy lately, is "how much longer do you have?" How the heck am I supposed to know? This kid didn't come with an expiration date! It could be 12 hours, it could be 4 weeks, which is what I've started telling people (or usually, I say "between 2-4 weeks", I'm 38 weeks now).
I have exactly the same complaint. I really wish I knew! I just say, "Pretty soon!"
#272 of 279 Old 05-29-2009, 02:46 PM

My reply is usually, Anytime between now and 4 weeks from now.

nurse, mama, doula-in-training to J-14, J-13, S-7, S-4, and P-2(born at home)
#273 of 279 Old 05-29-2009, 04:42 PM - Thread Starter

I also dread people asking that question, because I know a stupid response comes out of their mouths no matter what. I could say the real "due" date (June 27) or I could say between summer solstice and Independence Day, but inevitably a dumb comment will follow. I actually just say, "NEVER!" and then cackle a maniacle laugh, which usually scares them off. I've also thought about saying something like a lie, like August, just to really set them off.

Mama to 2 little darling squooshy faces
#274 of 279 Old 05-29-2009, 06:26 PM

Ahh yes I'm obviously huge at this point (38w) and I get asked all the time how much longer. I guess in the world of scheduled inductions/csections (which I know are necessary sometimes!) everyone just knows.

I just say "anytime she wants" or something like that.

The other thing I get ALL THE TIME is the name thing!! Did you pick a name? What's her name? Blah blah LISTEN PEOPLE. I'll tell you when she's born, ok? I've been saying that for 9 months now...that's how we named the other 2 (that's aimed towards family, since they should know better, we don't "prename" our kids!) and that's how we are naming this one!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#275 of 279 Old 05-29-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangoMommy View Post
Ahh yes I'm obviously huge at this point (38w) and I get asked all the time how much longer. I guess in the world of scheduled inductions/csections (which I know are necessary sometimes!) everyone just knows.

I just say "anytime she wants" or something like that.

The other thing I get ALL THE TIME is the name thing!! Did you pick a name? What's her name? Blah blah LISTEN PEOPLE. I'll tell you when she's born, ok? I've been saying that for 9 months now...that's how we named the other 2 (that's aimed towards family, since they should know better, we don't "prename" our kids!) and that's how we are naming this one!
I said the 2-4 week thing to someone recently and she gave me the most confused look, lol! Also, we don't prename the baby either, and now when people ask if we have names picked out, I tell them that we've stopped talking about it and won't be talking about it until after the baby is born. That's not entirely true, but for the most part dh is so difficult and we just can't agree so we're waiting to try some names out on the little one (plus we don't know if it's a boy or girl, so if we wait, then that cuts down on the arguing by 50%!). My family doesn't ask at all (they already know I won't tell them anything we are considering), so I only deal with that from others.

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#276 of 279 Old 05-29-2009, 06:55 PM

What do people mean by "Are you sure it's not twins?" I mean, don't you think I, of all people, would want to know if I was going to be birthing two babies pretty soon? I haven't had an u/s, but I'm as sure as I can be based on midwives palpitating the baby, listening to the heartbeat, and the fact that I'm always measuring between 0-2 weeks ahead. By asking that question, do they think I'm all of a sudden going to realize, "No! I'm not sure! I better go find out right now!" Thanks for telling me you think I'm ginormous. I actually like my huge belly, thank you very much.

Mama to my little social butterfly 6/13/09

#277 of 279 Old 05-29-2009, 07:02 PM

My MIL asked me if this baby is bigger than DS was. I looked at her kind of puzzled and said "Um I don't know? We'll know when he's out and we weigh him." She was like "Oh, I thought they usually tell you those things by now." Hmm ok.

And yesterday my mom asked "So how long will the midwives let you go before they induce you?" (I'm planning a homebirth). I said "You're kidding right?" She looked confused. "Well what happens after your due date?" I told her not to expect a baby before July.

Amanda , mama to my two boys: N (10/06) and : A (7/09)
#278 of 279 Old 05-29-2009, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notyetamommy View Post
I said the 2-4 week thing to someone recently and she gave me the most confused look, lol!
I've done this, too, given people the "window" concept...somewhere between June 8-18. But usually they don't like that and continue to press me with something like, "but what is your due date?" They just us to nail down THE ONE DAY that our baby will be born.

Mama to Fenergy.gif(06/11/09) and baby boy C baby.gif (06/09/11) 

#279 of 279 Old 06-08-2009, 01:35 AM

Bumping to add one. Fil called today to 'check up on me'(and be nosey in general) as he has been every other week since dh deployed.

He asked what I was having for dinner & when I said salad he proceeded to gripe at me that my lo was breech because I don't 'feed him enough' by eating salad.

Sahm to 2 girls (17 & 15)& Cody (7/09).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page